Home Brew Discussion

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hmm. I never really used anything, just soaked them. Have you tried using pbw?

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hmm. I never really used anything, just soaked them. Have you tried using pbw?
Yeah, I would usually pbw and then use that spin squeegee. I was just paranoid about leaving any filth behind so I probably would overdo it. Lesson learned.

My spotted cow clone had a bit of green apple taste on the front, but that went away after cold crashing. It is fantastic now.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Switch to glass carboys. They don't gouge. Good scrub with carboy brush and soak overnight in sanitizer. Rinse thoroughly

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Switch to glass carboys. They don't gouge. Good scrub with carboy brush and soak overnight in sanitizer. Rinse thoroughly
I have heard too many horror stories from my homebrew club members about glass carboys shattering while being lifted. One person ended up in the hospital because of the shards. As nice as it would be to have the nonporous, hardy nature of glass, that definitely worries me. I still have one glass 6gal, but it has been on the shelf for the past 4 years.

On the plus side, since changing out car boys, my spotted cow clone and my belgian pale turned out fantastic! So it seems that my contamination issues are gone. The belgian pale goes on tap tonight! Actually I need to finish my chili beer or sour to make room, but that shouldnt be too hard.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was so focused on making my home brew and so attentive to detail that there is no way I could have dropped one. I never had a problem with them when I was homebrewing over @ 10 years. I had a 6 gallon, 2 5 gallon, and a 3 gallon one. Used the six gallon for primary, and the 5 gallon for secondary. The 3 gallon was used mostly for mead. But I can see the risk with them.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was so focused on making my home brew and so attentive to detail that there is no way I could have dropped one. I never had a problem with them when I was homebrewing over @ 10 years. I had a 6 gallon, 2 5 gallon, and a 3 gallon one. Used the six gallon for primary, and the 5 gallon for secondary. The 3 gallon was used mostly for mead. But I can see the risk with them.

There are tons of stories of them breaking without dropping them. Here is just one.

I have three 6 gallons and four 5 gallons. I usually have one shorter term beer going, a longer one like a sour, and either a mead or a wine going, so they are often fully in use. But then I run out of tap space on my kegerator and I have to take a break from brewing. :( So then I get the idea to do a longer beer. Then when that beer is ready I am all out of space again because I kind of forget about them. Its a vicious cycle.
I would like to get some 3 gallons though.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Going to try this Houblon clone:

12 lbs Belgian pilsner
2 lbs clear Belgian candied sugar

Mash at 143 for 20 minutes and then 154 for 70 minutes

1.25 oz Tomahawk @ 60
0.75 oz Tomahawk @ 20
1.5 oz Saaz @ 7
1 oz Amarillo dry hopped

Wyeast #3522 Belgian Ardennes

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Going to try this Houblon clone:

12 lbs Belgian pilsner
2 lbs clear Belgian candied sugar

Mash at 143 for 20 minutes and then 154 for 70 minutes

1.25 oz Tomahawk @ 60
0.75 oz Tomahawk @ 20
1.5 oz Saaz @ 7
1 oz Amarillo dry hopped

Wyeast #3522 Belgian Ardennes
Sounds delicious. Dude at my homebrew store told me not to buy the clear belgian candy. It is the exact same of entirely fermentable sugar (after boiling) as corn sugar but corn sugar is 1/4 the price. Just FYI.

I just used it in my belgian pale with great success FWIW.

Edit: except if you are using dark belgian candi. There are other flavors imparted when using that.

Last edited:

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds delicious. Dude at my homebrew store told me not to buy the clear belgian candy. It is the exact same of entirely fermentable sugar (after boiling) as corn sugar but corn sugar is 1/4 the price. Just FYI.

I just used it in my belgian pale with great success FWIW.

Edit: except if you are using dark belgian candi. There are other flavors imparted when using that.

Ah cheers for the tip. I made my own dark candi once, but yeah that'll definitely save some coin. Cheers!

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
12112161_10154289833514251_3791530721618677269_n.jpg

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chouffe Houblon clone. Posted the recipe a couple posts up. Tripel/IPA hybrid. Kept it fermenting on the cooler side to keep the typical Belgian yeast characteristics subdued. Pretty happy about how that turned out.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ended up using 14 pounds of Belgian pilsner though.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've had a few IPAs with Amarillo very tasty, should be interesting with Belgian style.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love Amarillo and the Houblon is one of my favorite beers ever.