Home Brew Discussion

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cheers. It has a weird dry finish and puckering bitterness at the end. Could have turned out a bit better I think.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So I brewed my Citra IPA again on Halloween. Last batch got an infection somehow. Hope it works out this time. Then after brewing, I set up my brew kettle, inmy driveay, with boiling water and cinnamon, and hung a glow stick into the pot to make the steam appear green. I then donned my black spandex running suit and a horsehead skeleton. Kids were too scared to even come up the driveway for candy! It was awesome.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anybody got anything fun brewing?

So Ive still got my belgian pale and the citra IPA on tap. Both are very drinkable. I just put another 6 serranos into my chili beer. That brings the total up to 18 serranos. It is pretty spicy right now and probably where most people would like it, but I like it spicier. My first batch ever was pretty damn spicy but for some reason it made you hallucinate. It was awesome. We would drink it at our band practices and would be cracking up between songs. I have no idea what happened with that batch. Havent been able to recreate it since. I got a new brew paddle that my father in law made so I had to brew another beer over the holidays to put it to use. So I decided on a raspberry chocolate stout. I will probably add the raspberries tomorrow now that fermentation in almost finished. I put the chocolate in the boil and the pre fermentation taste was delicious. I will post the brew paddle in the next post.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
8cd0b3cb8f7d39f4b2eb9bed2b244da2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was given a home brewing kit for Xmas, it has everything needed to make an APA, I was thinking of possibly swapping the ingredients back for an IPA.

I've never really had the urge to home brew ,but now that I have the kit I'll give it a go, if I follow the instructions it should be drinkable HaHa. The process always interested me as I remember watching my dad making his beer when I was young.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just pick up some more hops. Check Some IPA recipes and find some that sound good. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What type of kit did you get?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It comes with ingredients (centennial hops) for 1 gal of an apa. Has tubes, funnel, glass jug (carboy?) Sanitizer, cheesecloth.

So I think I'll need a thermometer and something to put the beer in. Have you ever put it in growlers?

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I generally used capable brown glass bottles when I was home brewing in various sizes, although I also used the Tap-A-Draft system. 22 oz bottles certainly make it an easier process when it's bottling time. If you enjoy it, I'd recommend moving up to the 5 gallon batch size. Sounds like you got an introductory set. I'd also recommend Art's beginner kit and following the recipe progression he suggests.

Last edited:

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I entered two homebrew competitions in the past two weeks. I put my Citra Pale ale in both. It wasnt my best version of it, but its good to get feedback anyway. I got 35/50 in the first. They said it was not hoppy enough. I thought that was crazy because it is so hoppy I debated putting it in the IPA category. The second competition I got 42/50. Crazy what a difference the judges can make. Its almost like...taste is subjective!

I am most excited about the Mazer cup Mead competition. It is the biggest international mead competition. I made an awesome mead 7 years ago. I had to sacrifice two bottles of what is left, but my local homebrew shop recommended I enter as they think it will win. That would be awesome! Especially considering I have only made one mead ever.

Anyone else got anything brew related going?

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was gonna brew this weekend, buy got way too drunk on Saturday and woke up at 3 PM on Sunday. Ooppsie. Maybe in a couple of weeks. Got plans this coming weekend.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was gonna brew this weekend, buy got way too drunk on Saturday and woke up at 3 PM on Sunday. Ooppsie. Maybe in a couple of weeks. Got plans this coming weekend.

LOL. That will happen.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't worry, be hoppy!