Home Brew Discussion

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So a category of Belgian pale, French, and sour ales? What because sours are generally Belgian? That's dumb.

Yeah I applied for the bottling line since I have some experience on packaging lines and I figured that'd be a safer bet to get my foot in the door. Oh well. I'm going to write to another brewery, they're not hiring, but damn it my mindset on beer is so similar to theirs and the one dude is into metal so perhaps I dunno maybe at least stick out later in their mind whenever they expand.
Yeah, just keep at it. Those jobs are in high demand, but being a likeable, hard working person (as with pretty much any job) goes a long way. Good luck.

Yeah, sours are generally Belgian or French, but they just lumped them in with ALL Belgian beers. Very odd. Oh well. I got the critiques back and scored a 39/50. This falls in the category of "Excellent - Beers in this range may have no flaws but may be missing the intangibles for a world class beer". I guess it needed more fire and passion. Poor body language? Not bad, I will take it.

I just brewed up the beginnings of a Belgian Sour last Sunday. I have never done one before so we'll see. It wont be ready for about 9 months though. In the meantime, my chili beer finally got some heat to it. I am kegging that tonight.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone new picking up homebrew?

I finally finished my Belgian Pale Ale last weekend so I have an empty keg. Time to brew again! I am brewing a Nut Brown today. sparging right now. Got the first 4.3 gallons on the burner. Boil coming up next!

Tasted my sour again today. Tastes a bit....odd. Almost like yogurty or something. I think this will change in the next 5 months though. I have no idea. almost a year is a long time to wait, just to find out it sucks.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I only do sodas now, but I used to do beer and wine.

People don't believe it, but home-made stuff knocks the socks off anything you can buy in the store. Once you go home brew, everything else sucks in comparison.

Not just that, but it's fun. I'm just getting into a little now. However, I have a buddy who's been doing it for a while, and he's got it down. He makes his own stuff, but if you tell him you like Old Style, he'll make it, but make it 3x stronger. It's fuckin awesome! Try your favorite beer at 12%! :beer:

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well this thread hasnt seen much activity in a while.

I just kegged my chili beer. It turned out great. It was a little to bland before so I added in some crystal 40 this time. I am very happy with it. It was a hit at the neighborhood progressive dinner on Saturday.

I brewed my christmas beer 9 days ago. It has fresh ground nutmeg, cinnamon, and I add raspberry extract (only a few ounces so as to not make a fruity beer) at kegging time. It has been fermenting like crazy and hasnt stopped yet. I wont secondary this one so it should be done around day 15-20.

I just took a welding class and bought a MIG welder. I want to build a three tier brewing system. I am sick of lifting 8 gallons of 170 degree water on to my fridge to sparge. This way I can do it all in my garage or on my deck. I want to make it diassembleable (is that a word?). I am not sure how I am going to do that yet, but I will figure something out.

Anyone else got anything going on?

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bump for visibility to any IHN refugees that might homebrew.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know what my next batch will be if I ever get the opportunity to brew again: a clone of Sculpin. Great beer, but overpriced.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Never had it. I will keep an eye out for it. I just bought the stuff for a Citra IPA, but I am not sure when I am actually going to brew it.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are you on HBT? I am ytsejam there too.
Haven't brewed in a few years though, too busy working and drinking, but I still have my equipment.

No. I am not a member there. I browse the forums sometimes for sorting through issues or looking for recipes though. Great site!

WEll it sounds like a good time to get back into it and brew one over the holidays!

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No. I am not a member there. I browse the forums sometimes for sorting through issues or looking for recipes though. Great site!

WEll it sounds like a good time to get back into it and brew one over the holidays!

I mostly used HBT as a resource too.
Most of my posts there were probably in the hockey threads. On hockey boards, most of my posts seem to be in the beer threads.
Hmmm....

I get a bit of break from work over holidays, so maybe I'll start some apfelwein and assess the state of my brewing equipment.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
14 shows and counting!
:parrot:

Nice! Ive been to 4 and a Petrucci guitar demonstration (there were only like 10 people there so it was very up close and personal).

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mostly used HBT as a resource too.
Most of my posts there were probably in the hockey threads. On hockey boards, most of my posts seem to be in the beer threads.
Hmmm....

I get a bit of break from work over holidays, so maybe I'll start some apfelwein and assess the state of my brewing equipment.
Im kinda the same here. I usually just lurk the hockey threads. I wont pretend that I know the most about the nuances of hockey. And I have to crap-stream most of the games. I didnt start getting into hockey until ~2003 because my bandmates played hockey at CSU. They might actually come close to your 14 DT shows!

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brewed a superbowl superbeer yesterday. I decided to do my Citra IPA again. As I have said before, I am not a huge hophead, but this is one delicious IPA. I hope to enter it in a contest this batch. The last batch people were going crazy over it at the local homebrewers night. It has 1 oz of Nugget at 60. 1 oz of Citra @ 30, 15, and 10. Then 1oz of amarillo and 1 oz of Citra dry hopped at 7days and another oz of Citra at 14 days.

Now I just need to chug the beer in my kegs because I need an empty one for when this beer is ready.

Anyone else got anything going? Or is this thread just my own personal diary?

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not beer but I'll be using my sous vide cooker to make tomato & chili infused vodka for some bloody marys soon!

375 ml vodka
½ cup of sun dried tomatoes
2 dried guajillo peppers
1 dried chipotle pepper

1-2 hours @ 140º

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not beer but I'll be using my sous vide cooker to make tomato & chili infused vodka for some bloody marys soon!

375 ml vodka
½ cup of sun dried tomatoes
2 dried guajillo peppers
1 dried chipotle pepper

1-2 hours @ 140º

How'd it go? I have a sous vide and try it if it's good!