Home Brew Discussion

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Home Brewers

So who here brews their own beer or other alcohols? I just started my first batch a couple of weeks ago and it's currently sitting in the secondary awaiting to be bottled. Any tips for a beginner like me?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I've Homebrewed 3 stouts so I'm still new to it.. I plan on doing a black IPA next

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
SCREW THE BREWERS!

I do love beer, tho.

never brewed my own...will one day, tho. How'd you all start? just buy a kit? or...?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I only do sodas now, but I used to do beer and wine.

People don't believe it, but home-made stuff knocks the socks off anything you can buy in the store. Once you go home brew, everything else sucks in comparison.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
SCREW THE BREWERS!

I do love beer, tho.

never brewed my own...will one day, tho. How'd you all start? just buy a kit? or...?

Yeah there's a lot of starter equipment kits out there and ingredient kits. I got mine from Midwest. If you're in Chicago there's a couple of stores around the city by the name of Brew and Grow that sells what you need to get started.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I only do sodas now, but I used to do beer and wine.

People don't believe it, but home-made stuff knocks the socks off anything you can buy in the store. Once you go home brew, everything else sucks in comparison.

What made you switch? And I don't know, maybe in some cases.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
What made you switch? And I don't know, maybe in some cases.

I don't drink anymore. I had family members that made beer and wine, as well as their parents, ect. Eventually it was passed down to me. We made everything from scratch, as much as possible, not these catalog/internet brewing kit deals(which, aren't bad at all either). Then I started making soda, when it became impossible to find legit ginger beer, as well as trying to avoid HFCS and artificial sweeteners.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I started brewing in '93. Eventually took a 10 year layoff because our LHBS shut down and I had a couple bad batches ordering on line.

I've been making wine since I was a kid pilfering my parent's winemaking equipment. I grow and press my own apples now.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
My best recommendation is http://beersmith.com/ especially if you're all grain but even for extract or extract kits it will help you formulate recipes. Use the proper ingredients to the amounts that make the numbers hit the style and it should produce something drinkable along the lines of the style you were after. It also make AG seem very do-able.

Next up would be primary only for 2-3 weeks, preferably in a carboy or betterbottle.

Normally I'd throw in "liquid yeast" as 3rd but there are some quality dry yeasts now, although they jacked the price up so you may as well use liquid.

DaDanimal

CBMB Fugitive.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey guys. This place we can share some recipes, photos, and just shoot the breeze.

Here's my "brewery":
400155_225972590815795_968157316_n.jpg

My bottle caps:
2012_08_21.jpg

My current primary:
zomboz.jpg

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Heiden already started a thread.

DaDanimal

CBMB Fugitive.
Donator
Liked Posts:
My best recommendation is http://beersmith.com/ especially if you're all grain but even for extract or extract kits it will help you formulate recipes. Use the proper ingredients to the amounts that make the numbers hit the style and it should produce something drinkable along the lines of the style you were after. It also make AG seem very do-able.

Next up would be primary only for 2-3 weeks, preferably in a carboy or betterbottle.

Normally I'd throw in "liquid yeast" as 3rd but there are some quality dry yeasts now, although they jacked the price up so you may as well use liquid.

Ditto. All Grain is simpler than it appears and yields better results.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Dammit Jim

Could we supplement this as a microbrew talk?

DaDanimal

CBMB Fugitive.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry I read his thread and saw he was asking for pointers. I figured this could be an umbrella thread for all discussion.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
No probs Bob.

This thread could be all things beer...just not the piss water light shit.

I'm curious about home brewing...although I wish i had the time to do it.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Ditto. All Grain is simpler than it appears and yields better results.

With brewing software it's very simple. You have to measure the crap out of everything for a few brews but once that's dialed in it's pretty much plug and play. No need for slide rules to figure out a recipe and hit the desired numbers.

The main reason AG did better for me is because I brew UK beers and Maris Otter was the missing link.
Then I started wheat and rye. Maybe I've become an AG snob but I don't think you can hit this styles right without AG.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
No probs Bob.

This thread could be all things beer...just not the piss water light shit.

I'm curious about home brewing...although I wish i had the time to do it.

All Grain takes about 6 hours for brew day and up to 2 more hours for other stuff.

Extract can be done in very little time.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

It's been bookmarked. Cheers!