Never been to Chicago

TX911

Liked Posts:
Never been to Chicago but my son wants to go to Wrigley for the Astros closing series train wreck embarrassment against the Cubs. Found some decent tickets. Quick question, anything else to do once we're there (2 days) and what level of bullshit can I expect from home fans if any? Sorry for the dumb questions but I made a big mistake and flew to Boston a couple of years ago for a Rangers game and I don't think I heard a complete sentence without about 8 screaming F-bombs, saw two fights in the parking lot (Boston fans amongst each other) and just generally wished i hadn't bothered going at all. Any suggestions?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're from Texas?

It really depends on who you sit next to. At that point in the season I'm sure you can move around the ballpark pretty easily to find an empty section or a section full of nicer fans. I'd get a day CTA pass to just travel around the city before and after the game, maybe go downtown and walk the Mile, maybe go to a couple museums. Plenty to do around Wrigley Field as well.

Most of the time Cubs fans will leave you alone, especially if you're cool.

TX911

Liked Posts:
Yeah, from Houston. Flying to Chicago for two of the games so I'd like to have as enjoyable a time as possible. I know Chicago is a very nice city, I just don't know what to do there.

At this point I think you'd be hard pressed to find a loudmouthed Astros fan, myself included. We're essentially fielding a Triple A team these days.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, from Houston. Flying to Chicago for two of the games so I'd like to have as enjoyable a time as possible. I know Chicago is a very nice city, I just don't know what to do there.

At this point I think you'd be hard pressed to find a loudmouthed Astros fan, myself included. We're essentially fielding a Triple A team these days.

You should root for your team to win so the Cubs can get the #1 pick :D

I think you'll be fine. I've rarely seen too much trouble with Brewers, Cards and Reds fans in the park. Most people are friendly. Just don't wear a chip on your shoulder and I think you'll feel welcome.

Gerard

2012 European Champions
Liked Posts:
Go up to the skydeck in phillips tower, visit millennium park, enjoy a chicago style hotdog/pizza. explore! just dont go to the south side, fuck that place.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Don't bend over to pick up change off the ground.
There are alot of Greeks in the area.
Unless, of course, you are into that.

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
I went to a Cubs game in a White Sox shirt and a Cardinals hat when they played the Cards, and aside from dirty looks, I didn't have a problem, with anyone. I would personally advise you go to Water Tower Place for some good shopping, Oak St./North Ave. Beach, walk along the lake shore, go to the John Hancock center and have lunch on the top floor at the Signature Room, visit some of our awesome museums, Navy Pier, and Lincoln Park Zoo is free; and a pretty good time. Have fun and Go 'Stros! :cubstroll:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Go up to the skydeck in phillips tower, visit millennium park, enjoy a chicago style hotdog/pizza. explore! just dont go to the south side, fuck that place.

its the westside that is the problem and wayyyyyyy south of the cell. wayyy south.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Dont bother its a shit hole might as well go to hog a farm and teach him how to jack off.

We really don't care about your weekend endeavors... and just because that's your favorite past time, it does not mean others are inclined to do the same.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Never been to Chicago but my son wants to go to Wrigley for the Astros closing series train wreck embarrassment against the Cubs. Found some decent tickets. Quick question, anything else to do once we're there (2 days) and what level of bullshit can I expect from home fans if any? Sorry for the dumb questions but I made a big mistake and flew to Boston a couple of years ago for a Rangers game and I don't think I heard a complete sentence without about 8 screaming F-bombs, saw two fights in the parking lot (Boston fans amongst each other) and just generally wished i hadn't bothered going at all. Any suggestions?

Which game do you have tics for?. There is a significant difference in behavior/language between the day crowd and the night, day crowd is more family orientated.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Which game do you have tics for?. There is a significant difference in behavior/language between the day crowd and the night, day crowd is more family orientated.

Must be the sun. I like sunlight. Day baseball is definitely a better time. I haven't had many issues with night baseball though as you seem to describe. Hecklers are around no matter the hour so I haven't noticed a difference, but then again I'm paying attention to the game and not so much the tools around me.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chicago-Cubs-1908-World-Ser.gif

It's beautiful.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
if yo bought bleacher seats your gonna hear it. But most fans especially this year realize how bad we suck. I dont know how old your son is but the best option may be to just stand on the railing if your hearing it from the fans. Unfortunately alcohol, cubs and losing brings that out. But good luck

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
if yo bought bleacher seats your gonna hear it. But most fans especially this year realize how bad we suck. I dont know how old your son is but the best option may be to just stand on the railing if your hearing it from the fans. Unfortunately alcohol, cubs and losing brings that out. But good luck

As a corollary, I usually don't take my kid into the bleachers for those reasons and I would recommend not doing so until the children are a bit older. Sounds like the Texas fellow bought regular bowl seats though so they can move around a bit more than in the bleachers methinks.

Welcome to the board :D