After seeing Yoenis Cespedes so far, do you regret the Cubs not signing him?

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
yoenis-cespedes.jpg

While he's certainly not bashing the cover off the ball, Yoenis Cespedes has quietly put together a solid season for the A's. Not only is he currently hitting over .300 and providing offensive leadership for a team in the hunt for an AL Wild Card spot (a team, I'm sure most of us agree, who didn't have a chance to sniff the playoffs at the beginning of the season).

Now I know the contract he received (4 years at $36 million) is a bit intimidating for a guy with zero MLB experience, but given his age and time in Cuba, could he be a player who turns into an All-Star quality player? I'm impressed that he's put up solid numbers in such a pitcher-friendly park. Even with him missing time due to injury, he's been crushing it since the All-Star break (.342/.378/.502 with 7 homers, 27 RBIs, 7 steals and above-average defense).

With the playoffs looming, what kind of finish do you think Cespedes will have? If Mike Trout is the AL RoY (obviously a no-brainer), is Cespedes the runner-up? What kind of player do you think he'll develop into? Also, check out this awesome article that HE WROTE HIMSELF! Not bad for a guy still learning English.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
We offered 6/36, but he took 4/36 to hit FA quicker, we were second for him, Darvish, and Puig, actually the highest bidder for Puig, so its kinda meh.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
It certainly would have been nice to have Cespedes as a Cub. But the timetable was a bit off. I'm kind of glad the Cubs got Soler instead and are cultivating their farmhands, though Cespedes should still be in his prime by the time the Cubs get good again (we hope). At the same time it makes little sense to pay that much for a guy in his prime when the club is in this kind of shape.

ZDemp34

That One Guy
Liked Posts:
I don't regret anything. It's the front office doing the regretting :D

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
.300/.359/.499 with 16 HRs playing half your games in the Colliseum in your first year in the majors isn't bashing the cover off the ball? This team would be a lot more fun to watch with him, but I understand why they weren't willing to give him free agency after four years. Hindsight and all, it would have been a good move to do this for the Cubs because he would have been a chip that they could trade or keep until the team got good.