Liked Posts:
For both leagues, there are various awards:

Gold Glove
Silver Slugger

Rookie of the Year
Manager of the Year
Cy Young
MVP

I think these are pretty much the only awards most of us care about. I'll list my candidates later but would appreciate some input from the baseball fans who are still lurking around.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Aramis Ramirez for silver slugger :cubstroll:

Anyways, I think Felix should win the Cy Young award this year. Maybe not the best numbers across the board, but he's been so good for so long on a bad team.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
For both leagues, there are various awards:

Gold Glove
Silver Slugger

Rookie of the Year
Manager of the Year
Cy Young
MVP

I think these are pretty much the only awards most of us care about. I'll list my candidates later but would appreciate some input from the baseball fans who are still lurking around.

NL GG: C - Molina, 1B - Freeman, 2B - Barney (the streak and he's made 74 more outs than Phillips in just 5 more innings - most in the NL), 3B - Headley, SS - Reyes, OF - McCutchen, Bourn, Victorino

AL GG: C - Avilla (would like to give it Suzuki, but he's barely played half the season), 1B - Teixeira (AGon's until he was traded to the NL), 2B - Cano, 3B - Moustakas, SS - Hardy, OF - A Jones, A Jackson, Brantley (Span close behind).

NL SS: C - Posey, 1B - Goldschmidt, 2B - Hill, 3B - Wright (though ARam and Headley can catch him), SS - Desmond, OF - McCutchen, Braun, Holliday,

AL SS: C - Mauer (with Pierzynski close behind), 1B - Fielder (Pujols gaining), 2B - Cano, 3B - Cabrera, SS - Jeter/Andrus (tied right now IMO), OF - Trout, Hamilton, Willingham, DH - Encarnacion (Butler close behind).

NL RoY: Frazier
AL RoY: Trout

NL MoY: Bochy or Hurdle (if the Pirates get into the playoffs, it's Hurdle all the way)
AL MoY: Showalter or Melvin (whoever gets to the playoffs. edge to Showalter if both get there)

NL CY: Dickey (Cueto very close behind)
AL CY: Price (honorable mention to Felix - who comes short in wins due to being on a terrible team)

NL MVP: McCutchen (Posey a close 2nd right now, honorable mention to Braun)
AL MVP: Cabrera (Trout a very close 2nd, honorable mention to Hamilton)

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I took a shot at this based on standard and advanced stats including WAR. Not exactly scientific but everyone is at least judged consistently.

http://worldseriesdreaming.com/2012...ats-a-look-at-potential-mlb-award-candidates/

First off, RC... remember there's no such thing as a GG for LF, CF, or RF... both leagues give out GGs to 3 OFs (and often all 3 are CFs).

Secondly, I read your blog post after creating my own list. We're pretty close to spot on for the silver sluggers... but the GG I think you put too much emphasis on metrics that have been proven to be pretty worthless. Stick to the basics there, fielding percentage, outs created, DPs turned, OF assists, and CS %.

As for the rest, I don't think we're very far off. Price is the only guy that has the numbers across the board to win the CY in the AL this year, though.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I searched google to make sure and I might have missed something but I recall reading that they started awarding for the individual positions recently. Could you doublecheck that and I will too.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Strange thing with that... all of the awards lists show them strictly as OFs. I think it should still be stricly OFs... as the point of having a LF category is fairly useless since that's usually where you put your worst fielder. If you don't grant a LF GG, then you shouldn't grant a CF or RF GG.

I think that's why they did the all-OF thing for a few decades, not sure why they switched back. Otherwise I would've chosen three center fielders :lol:

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
In the end though, I wouldn't be upset to see the guys you suggest win those awards. You at least based it all on something, and did a really good job at it. I just went with overall stats... and put more of an emphasis on OPS and what I call Runs Created (pretty simple... Runs + RBI - HR) than where you went with WAR. We still come pretty close overall.

It will be interesting to come back to this thread when the awards come out, to see how close either of us are.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars