Thursday Sept 6 News & Tweets

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
NFL Week 1 Power Rankings and Predictions
Chris Jelinek September 5, 2012 http://www.chicitysports.com

The NFL season kicks of tonight will a matchup of division rivals, the Dallas Cowboys at the New York Giants. Should be an exciting game with the Giants beginning their quest to repeat as Super Bowl champions and the Cowboys enter the season with high expectations after disappointing seasons the last few years. For every week I will post my power rankings as well as predictions for each game.

Power Rankings:

1. Patriots
2. Bears
3. Packers
4. Ravens
5. Texans
6.49ers
7.Falcons
8 Cowboys
9. Saints
10. Giants
11. Lions
12. Steelers
13. Broncos
14. Chiefs
15. Eagles
16. Chargers
17. Bengals
18. Panthers
19. Jets
20. Bills
21. Raiders
22. Titans
23. Bucs
24. Seahawks
25. Redskins
26. Cardinals
27. Rams
28. Vikings
29. Browns
30. Colts
31. Dolphins
32. Jaguars

Predictions:

Giants over cowboys
Texans over Dolphins
Patriots over Titans
Saints over Redskins
Eagles over Browns
Falcons over Chiefs
Jets over Bills
Vikings over Jaguars
Bears over Colts
Cardinals over Seahawks
Panthers over Bucs
Packers over 49ers
Broncos over Steelers
Ravens over Bengals
Chargers over Raiders

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Marshall's 1,000-yard potential something new for Bears
Receiver reaches that plateau with regularity and this season should be no different

By Vaughn McClure, Chicago Tribune reporter

9:12 p.m. CDT, September 5, 2012
No need to remind Brandon Marshall what happened the last time he faced the Colts. He has vivid memories of the moment.

"I hit blackjack, 21 catches (for 200 yards),'' Marshall said, referring to his 2009 performance with the Broncos. "It was a (league) record. That was pretty good. That was an exciting moment actually."

Maybe Bears fans can get accustomed to such thrills now that the team appears to have its ace.

The 6-foot-4, 230-pound Marshall can show the Soldier Field crowd what the preseason buzz was all about when the Bears open the regular season Sunday. The three-time Pro Bowler brings five-consecutive 1,000-yard receiving seasons to a franchise that hasn't boasted a 1,000-yard receiver since Marty Booker in 2002.

"He's a good guy; very humble,'' fellow receiver Eric Weems said of Marshall. "He studies the game. I've picked up a lot of things from him … and that's something you just have to wait to see on Sundays. I can't give away his secrets.

"He has size, speed, and can catch very well. I think he's very un-guardable.''

Bears coach Lovie Smith certainly is glad to go to battle with Marshall rather than having to game plan against him.

"If you're a great receiver, defensive coordinators are going to try to find a way not only to get one player on you, but to get that player some help,'' Smith said. "To ask a defensive back to guard a great receiver time after time by himself, that's hard duty — especially for a player like Brandon Marshall.''

Marshall is sure to get added attention and quarterback Jay Cutler even cautioned he might have only two catches Sunday because of a swarming defense. But Marshall has averaged 9.25 catches per game over his last four season openers.

"Every year I see more and more coverage — especially the past two years,'' Marshall said. "The good thing about being here is we have Alshon Jeffery, Earl Bennett and we haven't even gotten to the backfield yet.

"It would be really hard for teams to really stop us with the guys we have.''

A couple of interesting sub-plots accompany Marshall's Bears debut. For starters, he could match up against Colts starting left cornerback Vontae Davis, his teammate on the Dolphins. Last season, Marshall and Davis got into a heated altercation in the locker room, and the squabble nearly resulted in a fight. Marshall reportedly threw a football at Davis' face.

Marshall was asked about the incident.

"Vontae, from Day 1, has always been like a little brother to me,'' he said. "I respect Vontae a lot. He's in a great place now and I look forward to watching his career blossom and hopefully he reaches his potential because he can be one of the best corners to play the game.''

Also, Marshall might have a few encounters with Colts starting strong safety Tom Zbikowski, a former standout at Buffalo Grove High School and Notre Dame. Zbikowski's family gave Marshall free access to their gym — Tommy Z's PureSpeed sports clinic in Palatine — for offseason training.

Marshall's toughest challenge Sunday might involve keeping his cool if he thinks replacement officials blow a pass interference call or two.

"I have a lot of things going on in my mind per snap, so I can't worry about the officials,'' Marshall said. "I think they're getting better. It would be great to have the regular refs out there, and hopefully we get something done soon …"

vxmcclure@tribune.com

Twitter @vxmcclure23

Copyright © 2012, Chicago Tribune

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Bears finally build around Cutler
Instead of expecting QB to carry team, it finally has armed him with weapons for success

By Brad Biggs, Chicago Tribune reporter

9:58 p.m. CDT, September 5, 2012
When Jay Cutler watches the Colts, he focuses on their conversion to a hybrid 3-4 defense under new coach Chuck Pagano.

But he has seen enough of No. 1 overall draft pick Andrew Luck to know the kid has a bright future as he prepares for his first game Sunday in Soldier Field.

"He is in an organization that is going to build around him," Cutler said. "They have the blueprint already with Peyton (Manning) so they are going to do everything possible to make him successful."

Maybe that has been the problem at Halas Hall over the last three seasons. Ever since Cutler arrived in a trade April 2, 2009, the Bears have had no blueprint. He was expected to walk in and make big-time playmakers out of players who had been forced into roles they were never drafted or signed to fill. It's as if former general manager Jerry Angelo, who was hellbent to complete a search for a franchise quarterback, believed he crossed the finish line when Cutler came on board. With a defensive head coach in Lovie Smith, the team continued to build on that side of the ball.

What the Bears did, in Angelo's vernacular, was force square pegs into round holes on their receiving depth chart. When you do that season after season, one byproduct is the running back will lead the team in receptions. Cutler posted a 17-8 record as a starter over the last two seasons, and the organization's hope now is he's ready to ascend.

It wasn't until Phil Emery arrived as GM and the Bears made one of the first moves of the offseason when they traded for three-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall that the club finally set out to build around Cutler. They followed with the addition of wide receiver Alshon Jeffery in the second round of the draft. Those who protested that the Bears needed to add playmakers for Cutler cannot call into question the team's inability to upgrade the offensive line simultaneously. It was one or the other, and the front office finally answered pleas Cutler had been making since shortly after he arrived.

"In past years it has been defense first and for good reason," Cutler said. "They were really good at it, they won games. With Phil coming in, he made an emphasis to help out the offense. Without some guys on the outside, it kind of limits what you are able to do offensively."

Cutler played in only two exhibitions and attempted just 34 passes, so the package still remains under wrap. But the buzz for the season is based largely on a more dynamic offense, one that can be explosive in the passing game more than every once in a while.

"We have some guys who can play on the outside," Cutler said. "There is no doubt about that. Hopefully, it's going to make my job easier just being able to get them the ball and let them work. Up front the guys know there is some pressure on them because Matt Forte can run if we give him holes, and if I get the guys the ball on the outside and we hold up and have time, we can make some big plays."

Marshall was asked if he was surprised it took the Bears so long to help out his former teammate, but he wanted nothing to do with the topic.

"I can't speak on that," Marshall said.

Those who have been around for a while can.

"We've always had some players out here," linebacker Lance Briggs said. "But it is nice for Cutler to have so many weapons. There are a lot of ways our offense can beat a team."

bmbiggs@tribune.com

Twitter @BradBiggs

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Bears' Tice likes Carimi's progress
Tackle not 100 percent, but offensive coordinator believes he will get better with play

By Vaughn McClure, Chicago Tribune reporter

7:57 p.m. CDT, September 5, 2012
Bears offensive coordinator Mike Tice praised the progress of Gabe Carimi on Wednesday, but also expressed concern about whether the second-year tackle is recovered fully from last year's season-ending knee injury in Week 2.

Carimi had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in November and then underwent another procedure in December before returning to practice this offseason. The first-round draft pick from Wisconsin took reps off during training camp but looked healthy during three exhibitions.

"He's going to take a while to be up to full speed," Tice said. "The endurance in his leg is going to come with game time.''

Carimi is slated to start at right tackle alongside right guard Lance Louis, center Roberto Garza, left guard Chris Spencer and left tackle J'Marcus Webb. Reserve Chris Williams is the swing tackle.

"We're going to certainly be very careful if it appears that he's getting tried,'' Tice said of Carimi. "We have other guys — Chris (Williams) — who can spell him. But I'm anxious to see Carimi play.

"He came on real well at the end of preseason, really was run-blocking well. His pass protection has gotten better, so I'm excited to see how he matures. He's a big part of what we're trying to do.''

Carimi was asked about his knee during open locker room, hours before Tice addressed the media.

"I feel good about it,'' Carimi said. "I have to warm up a little bit more but besides that, I don't have to think much of it.''

Making progress: Linebacker Brian Urlacher had full participation in practice Wednesday as he continues his comeback from a left knee scope. He appears to be on track to play Sunday against the Colts.

Also, punter Adam Podlesh had a limited practice for the first time since suffering a left hip flexor injury in an Aug. 18 exhibition against the Redskins.

"We haven't ruled that out yet,'' Podlesh said of playing Sunday. "But it is still to be seen.''

Safety Chris Conte, who is recovering from a dislocated right shoulder, also was listed as limited on the season's first injury report. Running back Lorenzo Booker, who suffered a head injury in the final exhibition in Cleveland, was the only player held out of practice. A least one source said Booker suffered a slight concussion, but Booker told the Tribune he simply was sick to his stomach and refused to say he had a concussion.

The Bears might have to consider promoting Armando Allen from the practice squad if Booker's injury lingers. And Kahlil Bell, last season's third running back, remains a free agent after refusing a pay cut and being waived Aug. 23.

For the Colts, starting left guard Joe Reitz (knee) and reserve linebacker Pat Angerer (foot) were held out while backup receiver T.Y. Hilton (shoulder) and reserve running back Delone Carter (chest) were limited.

Rivalry week: Saturday night's Vanderbilt-Northwestern matchup in Evanston sparked some interesting conversation Wednesday. Quarterback Jay Cutler, who played at Vanderbilt along with receiver Earl Bennett and nickel back D.J. Moore, wore a school hat during his Wednesday news conference.

Moore took the "Battle of the Brains'' to another level when asked if Vandy guys were smarter than NU grads.

"I'm not a dumb kid, I learned fast, but I could've done better than I did,'' Moore said. "Once I got to school and got good, I was like `Man, this is for the birds, it's time to leave.'

"It happens like that you know, but I'm smarter than some of the kids who went to Florida State or those types of schools now, and that's just garble.''

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Cutler still somewhat in Elway's shadow
Bears QB, as Luck will find similarly, can't escape it completely until he wins Super Bowl

Mike Mulligan

10:57 p.m. CDT, September 5, 2012
It somehow is appropriate Andrew Luck begins his career on a field opposite Jay Cutler.

The Bears quarterback can offer his Colts counterpart a bit of advice about following a legend when the teams hook up Sunday at Soldier Field. Hopefully, it will be wisdom beyond a whispered: "Get your bleepity bleep out of Dodge,'' as Cutler did with the Broncos in Denver where he battled the shadow of John Elway right up to the day he forced a trade to the Bears before the 2009 season.

It's a fact of NFL life that every quarterback who follows a franchise player is judged on the standard the former player set. Luck is stuck with a career of comparison to a certain 6-foot-5, 230-pound quarterback with a laser-like, rocket arm. Ironically, Peyton Manning is now in Denver after Elway recruited him there as a free agent. .

Cutler, of course, no longer feels the Elway burden. When Bears Chairman George McCaskey said at training camp that Cutler "is the most talented quarterback we've had here in the last 60 years since Sid Luckman,'' who was going to argue? Luckman retired about a half decade before McCaskey was born, but he's the only franchise quarterback the Bears have had other than Jim McMahon in an injury-dogged career.

Cutler is scheduled for his fourth consecutive season as the Bears leading passer, something not seen around these parts since Jim Harbaugh pulled off the feat from 1990-93. McMahon was the team's leading passer for six of seven seasons from 1982-88 and led them in pass completions in 1986. though he started fewer games than the other quarterbacks combined.

You have to go back to Luckman from 1940-48 to find the Bears record of nine seasons with the same passing leader.

Cutler is projected to promote himself into the company of legends this season after teasing at being a bona fide franchise player a year ago. General manager Phil Emery says "of course'' Cutler is a franchise quarterback, and he seems to have ensured the designation by getting some bigger receivers as targets for the gunslinger. The bigger they are the more accurate a quarterback becomes. Brandon Marshall could do wonders for Cutler's passer rating.

"That opens those windows, it makes them a little larger, and the difference in the NFL is inches, it's not feet. If you can get a bigger player who provides a bigger catch window we're moving forward,'' Emery said of big receivers.

Cutler's talent never has been in question, but some have doubted him because of his demeanor. Sour faces, the odd rude comment to Mike Martz picked up on a sideline microphone and even some honest, if not exactly thoughtful remarks regarding teammates, have been dissected throughout Cutler's career.

He may be peerless in Chicago, but his NFL peers couldn't think less of him. Colleagues around the NFL were quick to criticize Cutler when a knee injury drove him out of the NFC championship game two seasons ago. The only lists he seems to land on are anonymous ones that name him most disliked or least respected.

Generally regarded as the best and most important player on the Bears, Cutler wasn't on the Top 100 list in a players vote that the NFL Network compiled. A total of 13 quarterbacks from Aaron Rodgers at No. 1 to Tim Tebow at 95 made the list. Why no Cutler?

"Coach [Mike] Shanahan said it best: Quarterbacks at the end of the day are judged by how many Super Bowls they win,'' said Bears quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates, who served under current Redskins coach Shanahan when Cutler was with them on the Broncos.

"So let's hopefully win a Super Bowl and then we can talk about where you fit in that category.''

It worked for Eli Manning, who wasn't on the list in 2011, but fit in at No. 31 overall this year after winning his second Super Bowl with the Giants.

The Bears face Rodgers and the Packers in a Thursday night game in Green Bay just five days after the season-opener with Luck and the Colts at Soldier Field. Rodgers has started the last four years with the Packers, continuing a run of incredible quarterback play that began with Brett Favre in 1992. Favre, of course, entered the starting lineup four games into that season and never missed a start in 16 years with the team. Rodgers has missed two games in the last four seasons — one in 2010 because of a concussion and another in last season's finale after the Packers had clinched home-field advantage.

The Bears have started 27 quarterbacks in that stretch, including seven since Rodgers became a starter. He's the guy Luck needs to emulate. Unless Cutler proves himself once and for all this year.

Special contributor Mike Mulligan co-hosts "The Mully and Hanley Show" weekdays from 5 to 9 a.m. on WSCR-AM 670.

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Cowboys top Giants 24-17 in NFL opener

By Sam Farmer, Tribune Newspapers

12:22 a.m. CDT, September 6, 2012
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- If the Dallas Cowboys are indeed America's Team, Wednesday night was sort of like their national convention. Lots of jumping around, backslapping, and reveling in promises kept.

And the New York Giants?

They just kept dropping the balloons.

The normally sure-handed Victor Cruz, for instance, saw the football slide through his hands three times on a night the defending Super Bowl champions would love to forget. The Cowboys sacked Eli Manning three times in the 24-17 victory and – to the dismay of the packed house at MetLife Stadium -- never allowed the Giants offense get in a groove.

With three touchdown passes by Tony Romo -- two to the virtually unknown Kevin Ogletree -- the Cowboys unburdened themselves of a weighty millstone. They had lost five of six to New York, including a pair of losses to the Giants over a three-week span at the end of last season.

"We all knew we were the underdogs," said Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, holding two towels to swab his face in the steaming heat of the visitors' locker room.

"We certainly weren't proud of the last time we were up here seven months ago. I felt like I never left the halls of this stadium. It's really special to get this win. They've earned it."

The Cowboys even carved themselves a spot in history. Since 2004, when the league began the tradition of the previous season's champs playing host to the kickoff opener, the defending Super Bowl winners had always emerged victorious. Until this time.

"We certainly are capable of playing a lot better," said a flushed Giants coach Tom Coughlin, whose team was a 3-point favorite.

The NFL moved the game to Wednesday night as not to conflict with the Democratic National Convention.

The game was also noteworthy because it was the first regular-season contest since 2001 in which replacement officials were used. The regulars have been locked out in a labor dispute since June.

There were no major gaffes by the replacements but too many by the Giants. Manning was sacked three times and limited to 213 yards passing with one touchdown. The Giants fizzled on two-thirds of their attempts on third down, and they failed to capitalize on a first-and-goal at the 1, moving backward on the next three downs then kicking a field goal. It might have been even uglier had Jay Ratliff, star nose tackle for the Cowboys, not missed the game with a high ankle sprain.

Another Cowboys fixture who was not expected to play but did was Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten, who suffered a lacerated spleen in mid-August. He hadn't practiced leading up to the game, but hours before kickoff he got medical clearance to play. Still, his teammates didn't know until close to game time whether he would be on the field.

"They didn't see me at practice all week, so they were a little concerned," said Witten, who had two catches for 10 yards. "When they saw me putting the uniform on, they were getting excited and high-fiving. That's what this game's about. When you talk about opening the season up here against the world champs, you want all hands on deck."

Emblematic of the determination of the Cowboys, and the frustration of the Giants, was a 48-yard run by Dallas' DeMarco Murray in the second half. He looked all but tackled by New York's Mathias Kiwanuka but instead knocked back the Giants linebacker, twisted away from defensive lineman Justin Tuck, then rumbled for a huge gain.

The Cowboys weren't going to give up, and they weren't going to fritter away their lead, something they did so often last season. In five of their eight losses in 2011, the Cowboys blew fourth-quarter leads.

The same thing might have happened Wednesday night, but Dallas made the big plays when it had to. None was bigger than Romo hitting Ogletree for a 13-yard gain on third-and-10 with 2 minutes, 11 seconds to play. The Cowboys started the play at their 26, and, had they not converted, would have had to punt the ball back to the Giants and protect a one-touchdown lead.

"That was probably my biggest grab of the night," Ogletree said.

Ogletree, who went undrafted in 2009 and only truly got his break with the Cowboys this summer when he won the third-receiver job, scored the first two touchdowns of his career. He carries two iPhones, and both were overflowing with text messages after the game.

During an interview, he placed his hand over the pocket of his jeans.

"It's buzzing right now," he said.

Much like his team.

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Bears' Urlacher, Podlesh participate in practice

By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter

3:43 p.m. CDT, September 5, 2012
Lovie Smith has said all along the Chicago Bears have been making progress with injured players as they move toward the season opener Sunday at Soldier Field.

The team took a big step on Wednesday at Halas Hall as middle linebacker Brian Urlacher practiced for the second time. It was a significant step because it means his left knee did not flare up following Monday’s practice – his first since July 31 and the first for the eight-time Pro Bowl performer since arthroscopic surgery on Aug. 12.

Punter Adam Podlesh also practiced. It is unknown how involved he was but he did make kicks during the individual period of the practice when media was allowed to view. Podlesh has been sidelined with a left hip flexor injury since the second preseason game Aug. 18.

Free safety Chris Conte was also participating in practice during the media session. Conte did some work on Monday also. He has been sidelined with a shoulder injury since the same Aug. 18 against the Redskins. Defensive tackle Stephen Pawa (ankle) was also practicing.

Running back Lorenzo Booker remained out. It is believed he suffered a concussion in the preseason finale at Cleveland on Aug. 30. Booker missed time with the Minnesota Vikings last season when he had a concussion.

The first injury report of the season will be released later this afternoon. Check back for an update.

bmbiggs@tribune.com
Twitter @BradBiggs

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Bears rated as eighth most valuable NFL franchise

Reuters

2:52 p.m. CDT, September 5, 2012
The Chicago Bears rank as the eighth most valuable NFL franchise with a value of $1.19 billion, according to an annual survey released by Forbes on Wednesday.

The Dallas Cowboys became the first North American sports franchise worth over $2 billion and remained the most valuable NFL team for a sixth consecutive year, according to the survey. Despite failing to make the playoffs for the last two seasons, the Cowboys had their value rise to $2.10 billion, a 14 percent jump from last year and nearly double the league average of $1.11 billion.

The New England Patriots ($1.63 billion), Washington Redskins ($1.60 billion), Super Bowl champion New York Giants ($1.46 billion) and Houston Texans ($1.30 billion) rounded out the top five.

Forbes said the average value of the NFL's 32 teams rose seven percent from last year because of new television deals, a new labor agreement and higher premium seating revenue.

Approval for new stadiums helped the Minnesota Vikings and San Francisco 49ers record the biggest increases in value. The Vikings' value shot 22 percent higher to $975 million, putting them 22nd on the list, while the 49ers were ninth after their value rose 19 percent to $1.17 billion.

English Premier League soccer club Manchester United is the world's most valuable sports team, according to a Forbes report released earlier this year that said the Red Devils were worth $2.23 billion.

The 10 most valuable NFL teams for 2012

1. Dallas Cowboys, $2.10 billion

2. New England Patriots, $1.63 billion

3. Washington Redskins, $1.60 billion

4. New York Giants, $1.46 billion

5. Houston Texans, $1.30 billion

6. New York Jets, $1.28 billion

7. Philadelphia Eagles, $1.26 billion

8. Chicago Bears, $1.19 billion

9. San Francisco 49ers, $1.17 billion

10. Green Bay Packers, $1.16 billion

Copyright © 2012, Chicago Tribun

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Cutler: Opener 'going to be fun to watch'

By Fred Mitchell, Tribune reporter

12:57 p.m. CDT, September 5, 2012
Jay Cutler was wearing a Vanderbilt baseball cap Wednesday at Halas Hall, but the Chicago Bears quarterback was more concerned about Sunday’s regular-season opener against the Indianapolis Colts than his alma mater’s matchup at Northwestern Saturday.

“We have some guys who can play some football on the outside, there’s no doubt about that,” Cutler said of receivers such as Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery. “It’s hopefully going to make my job easier, just being able to get them the ball and let them work.

"Up front, I think the guys know there is some pressure on them because Matt Forte can run if you give him holes. And if I get the guys the ball on the outside and we hold up and have time, we can make some good plays. It’s going to be fun to watch.”

The Bears were 7-3 before Cutler broke his thumb last season, but finished 8-8 and out of the playoffs. The Colts were 2-14 last season without the services of future Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning, now with the Denver Broncos. The Colts are now led by No. 1 overall draft pick Andrew Luck out of Stanford.

“He’s going to be successful in this league, there are too many good things going his way,” Cutler said of Luck. “He works hard, he’s in an organization that is going to build around him. They’ve got the blueprint already with Peyton. So they’re going to do everything possible to make him successful.”

For the record, Cutler predicts Vanderbilt will beat Northwestern by three.

“We have better athletes, too much speed ... SEC,” he said.

fmitchell@tribune.com

Twitter@kicker34

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Luck will be keeping an eye on Urlacher

By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter

11:28 a.m. CDT, September 5, 2012
Andrew Luck will be paying attention to reports of how Chicago Bears middle linebacker Brian Urlacher progresses this week.

The rookie quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts might be new to the league, but he knows enough about the defense he will face in the season opener Sunday at Soldier Field to realize Urlacher is a primary force.

Urlacher practiced Monday for the first time since July 31 and the first time since undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Aug. 12. It’s yet to be determined how his knee will hold up this week in preparation for the game, but the Bears have been upbeat about the situation.

“I think you have to pay attention to whether he plays or not,” Luck said Wednesday morning in a teleconference. “He’s one of the best ever, if not the best middle linebacker. We’ll definitely be aware of him and if he doesn’t play, I’m sure their defense will be fine and they’re good as always. And if he does play. it’s another challenge for us.”

Luck, the No. 1 overall pick in the April draft, called the opportunity to face a defense that had four Pro Bowl performers a year ago a “wonderful opportunity” as he begins his career in an effort to fill the massive void created by the departure of Peyton Manning.

“This is a wonderful opportunity to go up against a lot of players that are arguably the best at their position and play at a high level, so it will be a great measuring stick,” Luck said. “They are obviously historically great. They’ve got all-stars all over the field. Expect them to be good, to be fast, to be physical. To give me, give all the guys a great challenge. What a great way to kick things off with a great challenge. It will be tough sledding to get yards, to get points. I couldn’t be more excited.”

Cam Newton in Carolina and Andy Dalton in Cincinnati had terrific success as rookie starters last season. Some would believe that has raised the pressure for those that follow to succeed quickly.

“I don’t know,” Luck said. “I think any quarterback in the NFL is going to have some pressure on him to win and succeed and win now. It’s not a culture that likes to wait around for things to get good. I hope I don’t have to wait around to be a decent football player. So, I don’t think that affects the way I approach things too much.”

bmbiggs@tribune.com

Twitter @BradBiggs

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Jay Cutler makes pressure a point
BY JOE COWLEY jcowley@suntimes.com September 5, 2012 9:36PM
Updated: September 6, 2012 2:29AM

Since mid-May, Bears quarterback Jay Cutler has taken at least three opportunities to publicly put pressure on his offensive line. More specifically, he has called out his line for allowing defenses to apply too much pressure.

The jabs might have been a bit softer Wednesday, but they were still thrown.

Cutler was again asked about having a new and improved collection of weapons surrounding him, and found a way to turn that into an “or else.’’

“We can only do as much as they can handle,’’ Cutler said of his offensive line. “If they can only block three-step drops, we can only throw three-step passes. We’re limited to what they can do and as of now, they’ve been holding up really well.

“We’ve got some guys that can play football on the outside. There’s no doubt about that. It’s going to hopefully make my job easier; being able to get them the ball, let them work. Up front I think the guys know that there’s some pressure on them because Matt Forte can run if we give him holes. If I get the guys the ball on the outside and we hold up enough time we can make some good plays.’’

Or real ugly, real quick, especially against a new-look Indianapolis Colts defense that is running the same type of 3-4 that coach Chuck Pagano ran as the defensive coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens last season.

So the question remains: How much can the offensive line handle?

“It’s a test,’’ center Roberto Garza said. “This is where it all starts for us, our journey.’’

It’s a journey that won’t be starting from the crawling position, either.

Cutler insists the offensive game plan won’t be limited because of the line — unless the unit shows it needs some training wheels in the blocking packages.

“We’ve got to attack and we’ll learn from there,” Cutler said. “We’re not going to sit back and second-guess ourselves on what we can call and what we can’t call. We’re going to go into it feeling good and confident that we can protect it, protect me and open up holes for Matt, and we’ll take it from there.’’

This is the mentality Cutler has been hoping to have since he was first acquired from the Denver Broncos before the 2009 season. Just give him the weapons on the outside, keep him upright and get out of the way.

“In past years it’s been defense first, and for good reason,’’ Cutler said. “They were really good at it. They won games. With [general manager Phil Emery] coming in, he made an emphasis to help out the offensive guys, to help us be successful.’’

The good news for Cutler is that the offensive line did keep him grass-stain free in the two preseason games he played. But an entirely different atmosphere awaits the line on Sunday.

“We’re a work in progress, but I like where we’re at,’’ Garza said. “Once the lights go on, it’s a little different.’’

And as far as the latest body blow directed from Cutler? Well, that’s just life as a Bears offensive linemen these days.

“Yeah, we have to prove ourselves, obviously, make Jay feel comfortable back there because this is a quarterback league,’’ right tackle Gabe Carimi said. “And if he plays well, we’re all going to have a good chance to win games.’’

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
With game vs. Packers coming up, Brian Urlacher shouldn’t play on Sunday
BY RICK MORRISSEY rmorrissey@suntimes.com September 5, 2012 10:04PM

In the hopes that the people with a vote on Brian Urlacher’s playing status will come to their senses, I’m resurrecting a Dan Hampton quote from last week.

“Whoever wants to play him against Indianapolis is nutty,’’ the Bears Hall of Famer said.

A good number of nutty folks apparently are working for the local football team. You would have had an easier time finding Nemo at Halas Hall on Wednesday than finding anyone who wants Urlacher to sit Sunday against the Colts.

Are the Bears better off if their star linebacker plays in the opener or rests his rebellious left knee?

“The [bigger] benefit to the team — that’s our ability to win games and put our defense in the best position — is Brian Urlacher plays,’’ quarterback Jay Cutler said. “That’s the best situation for us.’’

Urlacher practiced with no restrictions Wednesday, which means he’s likely going to play Sunday, which means insanity has established a beachhead. There needs to be one person who, in the face of Urlacher’s deep desire to play, tells him to rest.

That person should be coach Lovie Smith, but he is so smitten with Urlacher and so grateful for all that his middle linebacker has done that I’m not sure the word “no’’ could break the plane of his lips.

If Smith won’t do it, then general manager Phil Emery should. And if Emery won’t, will someone please get in touch with George Halas via the Verizon séance hotline?

It’s hard to understand what the upside is here. The risk is that Urlacher reinjures a knee that has been giving him trouble for months. The reward is they beat a team that went 2-14 last year. Big deal.

When Smith looks at his calendar, he might notice the fat red circle around Sept. 13. That’s the day his team plays the division-rival Packers in Green Bay. It’s also four days after the Colts game. In partnering with Urlacher on the importance of his playing Sunday, the Bears are telling us that all NFL games are created equal. It’s insulting. Anyone in his right mind would want a rested Urlacher for the Packers.

Most football players are willing to play through pain. Most don’t want to let down their teammates. Cowboys tight end Jason Witten reportedly offered to sign a waiver releasing the team from any liability if he reinjured his spleen Wednesday night against the Giants.

That’s why there needs to be the NFL equivalent of a parent making a decision for the child, no matter how much the child stomps his feet.

Urlacher has had two procedures done on the knee, which he hurt in the Bears’ final game last season. No matter how much he wants to be on the field for the opener, someone needs to stop him.

Smith said he could envision a scenario in which he tells Urlacher to take Sunday off.

“Guys, of course, are always going to say that they’re ready to go, but we’ll always watch them and make that final decision,’’ he said. “You want a player to always want to go, but we’ll help him out if it comes to that. But I don’t think it will.’’

The Colts are preparing as if Urlacher will play, which is what the opposing team is supposed to do in this situation. Prepare for the best to show up; count your blessings if he doesn’t.

“I fully expect him to be there,’’ Colts coach Chuck Pagano said. “If he’s not, I’ve watched enough tape to know there’s plenty of talent in the linebacker corps over there. We expect him to play, and we expect him to be out there, and that’s how we’re planning and moving forward.’’

Hampton’s quote about Urlacher and the Colts game was unsolicited. I was talking with him about the Bears’ aging defense. Next thing you know, he’s talking about nuttiness and how it relates to the people who think Urlacher should play Sunday. The topic of the linebacker’s knee is on the mind of anyone who is paying attention to this team. If it was on Urlacher’s mind, he was keeping it to himself. He walked past media members without talking.

Someone needs to save the guy from himself. It’s that or hope the Bears know what they’re doing. Remember what Smith asked fans to do several years ago? “Trust me,’’ he said.

I’d trust him a lot more if he said, “Take a knee this week, Brian.’’

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Gabe Carimi ready? Mike Tice uncertain
BY JOE COWLEY jcowley@suntimes.com September 5, 2012 10:04PM

Starting right tackle Gabe Carimi referred to the injured right knee that cost him most of last season as a non-factor.

Bears offensive coordinator Mike Tice had a much different opinion.

“He’s going to take a while to be up to full speed,’’ Tice admitted of Carimi on Wednesday. “I don’t think he’s all the way back yet. The endurance in his leg is going to come with game time.’’

Tice even went as far as to make it known that reserve Chris Williams is ready and willing to give Carimi breathers throughout the game, insisting “If he gets tired, we have other guys — Chris — that can go and spell him if we have to. But I’m anxious to see him play.

“I’m excited to see how he matures as a player, how he grows. He’s a big part of what we’re trying to do and what we’re trying to be.”

Carimi, who was a first-round pick in the 2011 draft, never made it out of Game 2 against the Saints last season, when the knee was injured.

“I feel good about it,’’ Carimi again insisted when asked about the injury. “I have to warm up a little bit more, but besides that, I don’t think much about it.’’

Real talk with D.J.

There was a lot of trash talk coming out of Halas Hall with the Vanderbilt-Northwestern showdown Saturday in Evanston, especially with four Vanderbilt alumni on the Bears roster, including quarterback Jay Cutler, who was sporting his school’s hat in his Wednesday press conference. But it was Vanderbilt grad D.J. Moore that had the last word.

“I didn’t go to school to learn too much, to be honest with you,’’ Moore replied when asked which school was better for an education. “Once I got to school and got good, I was like, ‘Man, this is for the birds. It’s time to leave.’ ’’

Asked if he was being overly honest about college athletics, Moore then said, “Well, I mean, I’m smarter than some of the kids that went to Florida State or those types of schools, now. Some kids get in school with a point-nothing (GPA). They didn’t even go to high school.’’

Marshall plan

Tice said that while they don’t have enough film on what the Colts will do defensively under new head coach Chuck Pagano, they were ready for a double-team of receiver Brandon Marshall.

“We need to anticipate them saying, ‘OK, we’re on the defense and we’re not going to let No. 15 beat us.’ OK, then what do you do? ‘We’re on the defense and we’re not going to let No. 22 [Matt Forte] beat us.’ Then, what do you do?’’ Tice said. “But that’s part of coaching.”

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
All’s quiet on Bears injury front
BY SEAN JENSEN sjensen@suntimes.com September 5, 2012 8:00PM
Updated: September 6, 2012 2:30AM

In the first official injury report of the 2012 season, the Bears didn’t have much information to share.

Middle linebacker Brian Urlacher fully participated and defensive tackle Stephen Paea wasn’t even listed on the report. Meanwhile, punter Adam Podlesh and safety Chris Conte were limited, casting hope that they could play Sunday in the season opener against the Indianapolis Colts.

The only player who didn’t practice was third-string running back Lorenzo *Booker, who was out with a head injury.

“We have a couple guys listed as limited, but they were able to do quite a bit,” coach Lovie Smith said. “We’ve been waiting to get to Wednesday. I know we practiced Monday, but now we’re into our true game week *routine.

“That first game, you just can’t wait to get to it.”

On Monday, Urlacher practiced for the first time since July 31. Asked if he could envision a scenario in which Smith decided not to play the linebacker, Smith said, “Oh, sure. Guys, of course, are always going to say that they’re ready to go, but we’ll always watch them and make that final decision.

“You want a player to always want to go, but we’ll help him out if it comes to that. But I don’t think it will.”

Colts rookie quarterback Andrew Luck, the No. 1 pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, certainly will be mindful of where Urlacher is, if he plays.

“That’s one of the best ever, if not the best middle linebacker,” Luck said. “We’ll definitely know, definitely be aware of him. If he doesn’t play, I’m sure their defense will be fine, they’ll be good as always.

“Someone will step up. If he does play then it’s another challenge for us.”

The Bears are carrying two punters in case Podlesh can’t go. Rookie Ryan Quigley did a solid job filling in for the veteran in the final two preseason games.

“We haven’t ruled that out yet,” Podlesh said when asked if he could play against the Colts. “That is still on the table.”

Podlesh said the training staff has him on a progression now.

“I felt good. Being limited today, that’s basically what they wanted me to be at,” he said. “We’ll progress from there, but things, like I said, are going well.”

Smith said that when a player practices Wednesday “there’s a chance that you can go.”

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Brandon Marshall hit ‘blackjack’ vs. Colts last time
Brandon Marshall hit ‘blackjack’ vs. Colts last time
Updated: September 5, 2012 4:03PM

He was coy, at first.

Brandon Marshall was asked Wednesday to recall the last time he faced the Indianapolis Colts.

“We lost,” Marshall said, referring to the Denver Broncos 28-16 loss in December of 2009 in Indianapolis.

But, moments later, he added, “I mean, I hit blackjack, 21 catches. It was a record. That was pretty good. That was an exciting moment, actually.”

The Bears would welcome another monumental effort from him against the Colts. Of course, he’ll have the same quarterback, Jay Cutler. But, Cutler warned his receiver that he may face double-teams initially.

“I’m going into my seventh year, and every year, I see more and more coverage. The good thing about being here, we have Devin Hester, Alshon Jeffery, Earl Bennett. And we haven’t even gotten to the backfield yet,” Marshall said. “It’d be really hard for teams to really stop us with the guys we have the in the locker room. But, there’s no coverage I haven’t seen, so I’m prepared.”

Other thoughts from Marshall:

* On Matt Forte: “He’s probably the best all-around back in the league. He can do everything. He can stay on the field, on all three downs, so he’s very talented.”

* On being with the Bears: I’m excited. I’m excited about the opportunity. It doesn’t get any better than this. We have a tough challenge ahead of us. And all I can do is play my role, to the best of my ability and take advantage of the opportunities and see what happens.”

* On difference with Cutler now: “Same. Still football. Jay is definitely a better quarterback, as we would expect, from a few years ago. But, it’s still the same game.”

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
NFC North Wednesday practice report
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com
Getting inside our first Wednesday practice report of the 2012 regular season:

Chicago Bears: Linebacker Brian Urlacher (knee) was a full participant. It's likely he'll take one of the next two days off from practice. Punter Adam Podlesh (hip flexor) was a limited participant and has a chance to play Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts. Safety Chris Conte (shoulder) was a limited participant as well. Running back Lorenzo Booker (head) did not practice.

Green Bay Packers: Nose tackle B.J. Raji (ankle) participated in a limited portion of practice and doesn't appear at risk for missing Sunday's game against the San Francisco 49ers. Tight end Tom Crabtree (shoulder) and cornerback Davon House (shoulder) were limited. Running back James Starks (toe) was ruled out, but coach Mike McCarthy said he has started running during rehabilitation workouts.

Detroit Lions: As we discussed earlier, cornerback Chris Houston (ankle) and safety Louis Delmas (knee) were the only players who missed practice. Delmas has missed five weeks' worth of practice, and it's hard to imagine him being rushed back Sunday against the St. Louis Rams with only two days of on-field preparation. And that's assuming he returns Thursday.

Minnesota Vikings: Safety Mistral Raymond (back) practiced and was not listed on the injury report, so it appears he is on track to start Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Tight end John Carlson (knee) and nose tackle Letroy Guion (knee) were full participants. Tailback Adrian Peterson (knee) was listed as a limited participant. Receiver Jarius Wright (ankle), linebacker Marvin Mitchell (ankle) and safety Andrew Sendejo (ankle) did not practice.

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
No contract talks yet for Cutler and Bears
Posted by Josh Alper on September 5, 2012, 8:58 AM EDT http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com

After Drew Brees signed his new deal in July, Bears quarterback Jay Cutler said that he was looking forward to negotiating a new deal for himself.

He’ll have to keep looking forward a little bit longer. Michael C. Wright of ESPNChicago.com reports that there haven’t been any discussions between the team and Cutler about a new deal.

This isn’t really reason for alarm. Cutler’s signed through 2013, which is plenty of time for the two sides to come to an agreement that keeps Cutler in Chicago for the long term. There’s also plenty of cap room available for the 2014 season, which should make hammering out a deal that much easier when the time comes to open up discussions.

Wright suggests that financial reasons might not be the biggest stumbling block, however. He points out that Cutler has had one winning season, one losing season and a year marred by injury while throwing 63 touchdowns and 49 interceptions. While there have been several other reasons why the Bears have had just one good year in the last three, Wright believes that Cutler needs to have a 2012 season that justifies a deal that bringing him more than the $49.77 million, five-year deal he signed when he got to Chicago.

The pieces are in place for Cutler to have that kind of season. If it should also result in a long playoff run, Cutler’s negotiating position will improve a great deal whenever he and the Bears sit down at the table.