Friday Sept 7 News & Tweets

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Briggs: If Colts attack Urlacher, 'they will fail'
September 6, 2012, 1:49 pm
JOHN "MOON" MULLIN http://www.csnchicago.com

Teams in any sport and certainly in the NFL look to attack a weakness, whether it’s in a scheme or a player’s body. Brian Urlacher will play against the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday with a still-unproven left knee, and that is the kind of thing that an opponent will test and possibly attack (with or without a bounty involved).

“They can try,” said linebacker Lance Briggs. “They will fail.”

Urlacher was not ducking the media on Thursday, and it was clear that he is playing against the Colts.

What’s still not as clear is the full state of his left knee. And that won’t be fully evident until a week from today when he either lines up against the Green Bay Packers or can’t because the knee hasn’t come back in the shortened recovery cycle between games.

Urlacher said that he felt the knee becoming aggravated in the early days of camp despite a couple of procedures earlier in the offseason to enhance healing.

“I hadn’t done that much in the offseason,” Urlacher said. “I ran the whole month of June and July before we got to training camp, but nothing like we were going through in training camp. So I think I just aggravated it a little bit and got some things loose in there. We cleaned it out and now it’s good.’’

The moot point now is whether Urlacher should have gone with the clean-out surgery back in February or March perhaps. Center Roberto Garza, for example, underwent arthroscopic knee surgery early in 2010 and was back and starting several weeks later without problems.

But second-guessing is always easy and not always accurate. Part of Urlacher’s original injury was to the posterior cruciate ligament and that is not one typically operated on, experts said.

That all matters little at this point, however.

The only thing that matters is whether Urlacher can play and, bigger picture, how soon after and how well can he play after that.

“I’m not worried about it,” Urlacher said. “We’ll run our Cover 2 and we’ll see what happens. If they want to test me, I’ll have more chances to make plays then.’’

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Urlacher rested, but bigger questions remain
September 6, 2012, 4:49 pm
JOHN "MOON" MULLIN http://www.csnchicago.com

In what figures to be the standard drill for game weeks, Brian Urlacher was in a floppy hat and not in full practice mode the day after he went through a full practice with the Bears.

The move was a “coaches decision,” according to coach Lovie Smith, whose feeling is, “I just don't think he needs any more than a couple of days in a week. He's had trouble with the knee, so we're not going to push the knee through the week. We've done that in the past with a lot of guys, though, this is no big issue at all.”

But focusing on whether Urlacher practices or doesn’t is burying the lead. That’s not the real story, nor is whether he starts against the Colts. That plan has been in place for a long, long time.

The bigger questions are:

1) How much will Urlacher be able to play against a Colts offense that will test him in coverage and run-stopping?

Along with that, will Urlacher be used in the Bears’ nickel package? When Urlacher was out, Nick Roach was the second linebacker in on nickel downs along with Lance Briggs. One linebacker comes out – will it be Roach, as it has been for every strong-side linebacker since Urlacher has been a Bear? Or will it be Urlacher to avoid overusing the knee in drops into coverage?

And looming even larger:

2) Will Urlacher recover fast enough to play and be effective in the Green Bay game four days later? That is a division game, a conference game, and will be the truer indicator of what Urlacher figures to be in 2012.

The Bears have used the day on/day off program for the likes of defensive tackle Tommie Harris, also plagued with knee problems, and others. They also managed his playing time in games, something the Bears have never had to do with Urlacher.

Adam Podlesh (hip) punted on a limited basis on Wednesday and again on Thursday. Safety Chris Conte (shoulder) also practiced on a limited basis for the second straight day.

Running back Lorenzo Booker, a member of several special-teams units, was out for a second day with a head injury suffered in the Cleveland preseason game.

The Colts practiced without linebacker Pat Angerer (foot) and guard Joe Reitz (knee) for the second straight day. Receiver Austin Collie (concussion) was limited along with linebacker T.Y. Hilton (shoulder).

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Thanks for the news

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn... I hope Urlacher can shut all these beat guys up on Sunday.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Chicago Bears ‏@ChicagoBears
LM: Colts RB Mewelde Moore and #Bears RB Matt Forte rank 1-2 on Tulane’s all-time list in all-purpose yards and rushing yards.

Giant Panda

Liked Posts:
“He’s going to get a lot of playing time,” said Tice. “We’re going to play four tight ends. We don’t have a FB on the roster.

Adams going to play as well

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Hi guys, it's Aunt Dyke.

187976_340364432716888_5037799_n.jpg

RodgersWatch: Speed? Still got it

Two years ago, we noted that Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers had established himself as one of the better running quarterbacks in the NFL. Of course, that was when he was 26 years old and midway through his third season as a starter.

Now 28 and entering his fifth year at the Packers' helm, Rodgers would be excused for backing off the scrambles and focusing on pocket passing. But based on the 2012 preseason, as well as some extensive comments on the subject this week, it appears Rodgers has prepared himself to continue taking off whenever he sees open turf.

[+] Enlarge

David Stluka/AP Images
Packers QB Aaron Rodgers said he worked on becoming more flexible during the offseason to help improve his mobility.
He scrambled eight times for 76 yards in three games this summer, including two touchdowns against the Cincinnati Bengals. Speaking during his ESPN 540 radio show , Rodgers said he spent the offseason focusing on "my foot speed, my endurance and my strength" through greater flexibility.

"I want to be able to move around a little bit better out there," Rodgers said, "and I thought flexibility would be a good way to do that. So I focused on that a lot."

Among other things, Rodgers said he spent 20-30 minutes stretching after workouts. I'll let him explain the rest because, frankly, I'm not sure I fully understand the details myself.

"I did a lot of posture stuff with my workouts," he said, "making sure that I was doing more pulls for my back then pushes for my chest. Because whether you're an athlete or not, a lot of people internally rotate their shoulders which decreases your flexibility in your shoulder if you're a thrower.

"Or when you're sitting at a desk most of the days you're going to have your shoulders internally rotate. So to combat that, I'm doing more exercises to open up my chest and pull my shoulders back. It increases the flexibility on your shoulder and takes stress off of it. So those are some of the things I thought about."

Since becoming the Packers' starter in 2008, Rodgers has scored more rushing touchdowns (16) than any other quarterback. Over that span, via the database at pro-football-reference.com, he ranks second in rushing yards by a quarterback (1,136). What's amazing is the Packers only occasionally call runs for him the way the Carolina Panthers might for Cam Newton or the Atlanta Falcons did for a younger Michael Vick. Most of Rodgers' production is what he calls "reactionary." He's quick to recognize when a combination of man-to-man defense and deep routes will force defenders to run away from him with their backs turned. He also tries to keep what he called a "pass-first mentality outside of the pocket." In essence, he wants to avoid tucking the ball away because the threat of a pass -- even if he is a yard or two past the line of scrimmage -- can give him an advantage in the open field.

David Fleming: Big Cheese
You'd smile too if you had MVP Aaron Rodgers, who epitomizes what it means to be a franchise quarterback. Fleming

"The defensive guy isn't looking over at the sticks…," Rodgers said, "so I want to make sure that it looks like I at least have the ability to throw the football because that's going to keep them away from me a little bit more."

Still, even as he approaches middle age in football terms, Rodgers demonstrated this summer that he still has the raw speed and athletic ability to run past presumably faster defenders. Against the Bengals, he broke the pocket at the 12-yard line and simply ran around Bengals cornerback Nate Clements to the end zone. (Video here courtesy NFL.com.)

"[That] was fun for me because I spent a lot of time working on my athletic ability this offseason," he said. "My speed, my stamina, my quickness, and I felt like I kind of separated a little bit from the corner."

Someday, opposing defensive coordinators will be able to remove Rodgers' scrambling tendencies from their Packers game-day check list. It won't be in 2012, however.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
LM: Colts' Andrew Luck on Sunday will become first starting QB to make NFL debut vs. #Bears in non-strike game since at least 1970.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Go ahead, believe in these Bears
Forget caution, Chicago fans should have Super expectations this season
Updated: September 7, 2012, 11:28 AM ET
By Jon Greenberg | ESPNChicago.com

CHICAGO -- If you're a Chicago Bears fan, the time has come. With the regular season days and hours away, you're frothing at the mouthguard.

This is the year. Finally. Maybe. It has to be, right?

Your mind is full of Mike Tice quotes with visions of Brandon Marshall dancing in the end zone of your imagination. For once, you can watch the offense without four fingers in front of your eyes and earmuffs on your youngest child.

[+] Enlarge
Jason Miller/Getty Images
The Lovie Smith era is at a crossroads but he has plenty of talent on his roster to help him get an extension.
You don't need to be reminded Jay Cutler has more weapons than he's ever had before, because you want to name your next-born Alshon and/or Jeffrey. And you're even talking yourself into registering to vote in #JWebbNation this fall.

You say a prayer for Brian Urlacher's knee before you go to bed and remind the big guy upstairs: Can you say a few hosannas for Julius Peppers? Just in case?

Some may find preseason too long, but maybe you like the build-up, the road to the regular season unfurling, story by story, tweet by tweet. Given the avalanche of media, you, the Bears fan, are nothing if not well-informed.

And guess what, I'm here to absolve you of your soaring optimism. Around this time of year, people like me tell you, the fan, to be wary of your own dreams, not to get too excited because it's a long season and blah blah blah. But guess what, don't listen to them.

Listen to me instead. Or better yet, listen to Lance Briggs.

"It's Super Bowl or bust, man," Briggs said to reporters Thursday.

He's right. So book that room in New Orleans for February, well, as long as it's refundable. Be optimistic, after all, not foolish.

Bears fans have every reason to be fanatics. This has the makings of a very good team. It has flaws to be sure, but the highest of expectations are justified. Give me a veteran, confident defense and a high-powered offense, a cocky quarterback, a steady coach and a talented staff.

This collection of talent doesn't happen every year. Not in Chicago. Soldier Field is the house of broken dreams set to the music of the one "Jock Jams" CD they play every game.

This is a franchise where a quarterback from the Greatest Generation still holds records. If you can't be sanguine now, when can you be sanguine?

Super Bowl or bust, man.
For the Bears, this is a crucial season. The Lovie Smith era at a crossroads. Either the Bears return to a Super Bowl or maybe it's time to start renovating This Old Defense. New general managers often want their own coaches.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Bill Kostroun
Jay Cutler has more weapons at his disposal now than he has ever had in his three seasons in Chicago.
Smith's well-earned popularity with everyone at Halas Hall, aside from the media, can't save him forever. Phil Emery, the workaholic-scout-turned general manager, has given Smith almost everything he needs to get over the hump of the post-Super Bowl malaise.

And if the Bears play like we think they're capable, like they think they're capable of, Smith should get a fat new extension, Cutler should get a fat new extension, knee willing, Urlacher should get a respectable extension.

"You get an extension! You get an extension!"

It'll be like Oprah had a kid with former Cubs general manager Jim Hendry.

It's tough to get a good read on the Bears from practices under an oppressive Bourbonnais sun or a few meaningful quarters of the preseason. The players have been uniformly positive, but that's nothing new. I'm sure there are guys in Cleveland and Jacksonville who think they're going to the playoffs, too.

OK, maybe not.

I enjoy talking to the Bears, even though the access is middling and usually dominated by group gatherings. NFL players, I've found, are pretty honest. They know who can play and who can't, and as they say, game respects game. And while I never just buy the rehearsed pablum of a professional athlete, you can feel the sincere confidence of this Bears team. These guys know they have the chance of a career this season.

ESPNChicago.com Bears blog
Get the latest Bears news from ESPN Chicago's Jeff Dickerson and Michael Wright. Blog

• ESPN.com: NFC North

Yes, the offensive line could still wreck everything, and Urlacher's knee is a bigger question mark than the Soldier Field turf. Those are serious issues that will be tested as the season goes along.

No team is perfect. There will certainly be obstacles this season, and there's a good chance the road to the Super Bowl, or even the playoffs, drops off a cliff. That's why we follow sports after all, because it's unscripted.

But every so often, even Bears fans deserve to be blindly, stupidly optimistic. This is one of those times.

I'm Jon Greenberg and I approve your fanaticism.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn it Ole! your Avatar startled the shit out of me.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Brandon Hardin ‏@_B_Hard_
Never feeling sorry for myself. Gotta find a niche on this team to help contribute in anyway i can. BearinDown

LM: #Bears RB Matt Forte made NFL debut vs. Colts in 2008 season opener, rushing for 123 yards including 50-yard TD in 29-13 win.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I'm excited to see what Evan Rodriguez will do on Sunday. I think he's going to be a factor in this offense as the year unfolds. He'll be getting a handful of check down catches in space while Marshall, Jeffery, and Forte get most of the attention.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
yeah, hppe so too. In case you missed it, he is now officially listed as a fullback

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does anyone know if they announced that Hardin would be the designated player to come off the IR? I know there was a date, like last Tuesday or something, where it had to be declared.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I hadn't heard anything to that effect, but I do vaguely remember hearing something about his not being eligible

Giant Panda

Liked Posts:
I just saw Larry on comcast tv on Bears Blitz yesterday.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
that's incredible. What did your mom make you for dinner?