Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Week 1: Sam Farmer's NFL picks

By Sam Farmer, Tribune Newspapers

September 7, 2012
Sunday's games

Colts (2-14 in 2011) at Bears (8-8), noon, WBBM-Ch. 2

Line: Bears by 10. Over/under: 43.5.

Tough start for No. 1 pick Andrew Luck, though he has looked good so far. Jay Cutler now has a true No. 1 receiver in Brandon Marshall, and that's too much for Colts defense.

Pick: Bears 31, Colts 24.

Eagles (8-8) at Browns (4-12), noon

Line: Eagles by 9.5. Over/under: 43.5.

Browns are 1-12 in openers since 1999. After this weekend, they'll be 1-13. Michael Vick should have a big day, and Eagles defensive front will overwhelm Browns offensive line.

Pick: Eagles 27, Browns 17.

Rams (2-14) at Lions (10-6), noon

Line: Lions by 7.5. Over/under: 45.5.

Rams finished summer strong, but they'll be hard-pressed to keep pace with Lions offense. An upset could happen — Rams will be better under Jeff Fisher — but don't bank on it.

Pick: Lions 27, Rams 24.

Falcons (10-6) at Chiefs (7-9), noon

Line: Falcons by 2.5. Over/under: 43.5.

Chiefs fans will cheer return of Tony Gonzalez and will cheer louder when their team pulls off an upset at home. If Jamaal Charles can bounce back, Chiefs will be tough to beat.

Pick: Chiefs 23, Falcons 21.

Redskins (5-11) at Saints (13-3), noon

Line: Saints by 7.5. Over/under: 50.5.

Saints will feel the pain of bounty suspensions, but not in the opener. They're still an elite team. Robert Griffin III is extremely mobile, and behind that line, he'll need to be.

Pick: Saints 35, Redskins 17.

Dolphins (6-10) at Texans (10-6), noon

Line: Texans by 11.5. Over/under: 42.5.

Openers typically aren't trap games, but Texans can't get too comfortable here. In 2009, they were stunned in their opener at home by Jets with a rookie coach and QB.

Pick: Texans 27, Dolphins 20.

Jaguars (5-11) at Vikings (3-13), noon

Line: Vikings by 4. Over/under: 39.5.

Four-point underdogs to a team that finished 3-13 last season? Ouch. Maurice Jones-Drew missing training camp could turn out to be a major setback for Jaguars.

Pick: Vikings 20, Jaguars 13.

Bills (6-10) at Jets (8-8), noon

Line: Jets by 2.5. Over/under: 38.5.

Bills spent big bucks constructing defensive line, and now it's time for them to show they can get to the quarterback. Both teams could break out Wildcat offense.

Pick: Bills 21, Jets 20.

Patriots (13-3) at Titans (9-7), noon

Line: Patriots by 5.5. Over/under: 47.

Three years ago, Patriots beat Titans 59-0. It won't get that ugly in this opener, although the offensive firepower is lopsided. Patriots should win handily.

Pick: Patriots 27, Titans 14.

Seahawks (7-9) at Cardinals (8-8), 3:25 p.m.

Line: Seahawks by 1. Over/under: 41.

No more vanilla defensive looks for Seahawks rookie QB Russell Wilson, so he might not look as smooth. The Cardinals need to figure out their answer at quarterback.

Pick: Seahawks 20, Cardinals 17.

Packers (15-1) at 49ers (13-3), 3:25 p.m., WFLD-Ch. 32

Line: Packers by 5. Over/under: 46.5.

Two great teams. Two Super Bowl contenders. Exceptional as 49ers defense is, Aaron Rodgers will find ways to score, and pressure falls on Alex Smith to keep pace.

Pick: Packers 27, 49ers 24.

Panthers (6-10) at Buccaneers (4-12), 3:25 p.m.

Line: Panthers by 1. Over/under: 46.5.

In sweeping Bucs last season, Cam Newton and Panthers rolled up 86-35 scoring edge and 818 yards of offense. New Bucs coach Greg Schiano makes a difference, but not that much.

Pick: Panthers 28, Buccaneers 20.

Steelers (12-4) at Broncos (8-8), 7:20 p.m., WMAQ-Ch. 5

Line: Broncos by 1. Over/under: 44.5.

Peyton Manning wins his Broncos debut vs. a Steelers defense that's missing safety Ryan Clark. Losing rookie guard David DeCastro is a big blow to Pittsburgh's offensive line.

Pick: Broncos 27, Steelers 21.

Monday's games

Bengals (9-7) at Ravens (12-4), 6 p.m., ESPN

Line: Ravens by 6. Over/under: 41.

Ray Rice had 295 yards and four TDs in two games vs. Bengals last season. He'll get off to a strong start in Baltimore, and Ravens will win their fourth straight in series.

Pick: Ravens 30, Bengals 20.

Chargers (8-8) at Raiders (8-8), 9:15 p.m., ESPN

Line: Chargers by 1. Over/under: 46.5.

Chargers are slow starters, they have an undrafted rookie starting at left tackle and their top running back is banged up. It's a big start for Raiders coach Dennis Allen.

Pick: Raiders 24, Chargers 21.

Copyright © 2012, Chicago Tribune

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Colts owner has way with words
Irsay active on Twitter and uses lyrical prose to get points across to followers and team

Dan Pompei On the NFL

10:04 p.m. CDT, September 6, 2012
The temptation is to define the man, or at least his body of work, by 140 character messages.

Yes, the Colts' owner is an active and wildly popular tweeter with more than 180,000 followers.

But the owner of the Colts is Jim Irsay, not @JimIrsay.

That is guitar-playing, song-writing, memorabilia-collecting, loud suit-wearing, team-owning Jim Irsay.

As a 53-year old who has been active in the NFL for 41 years, Irsay is a free spirit who has come to appreciate stability.

But he has been rocking the Colts' boat quite a bit lately.

The Loyola Academy graduate from Winnetka recently caused a stir with a series of tweets that hinted the Colts were on the verge of a big deal.

"TRADE WINDS BLOWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" he tweeted on Aug. 23.

Three days later the Colts acquired cornerback Vontae Davis from the Dolphins for a second-round draft pick.

Irsay took some heat over the unconventional way he set off a firestorm, and then he fired a few salvos back.

"If u don't like it buy ur own team and try to make the playoffs 9 seasons n a row n put together 7 straight 12 win seasons n a row as Owner!" he tweeted.

Irsay and his Colts have accomplished quite a bit, including winning the Super Bowl, getting a new stadium built and hosting a Super Bowl in Indianapolis.

He is an owner who can set trends.

When asked why he tweets, he said, "(Late Chiefs owner and NFL innovator) Lamar Hunt was always one of the people I watched and admired growing up. Like he did, you are always looking for ways to keep growing in terms of technology and what's available, and what brings fun into the game."

Many of Irsay's tweets have nothing to do with the NFL. He has mused on Andy Kaufman, Hunter S. Thompson and Paul Simon lyrics, to name a few.

"It's also to me an artistic way to communicate," he said. "There is a poetry to it. I've found it interesting that you can tweet a couple of lyrics from a song and people think, he's wild, he's crazy.

"In the Twitter account, I may come across as very different from (Steelers owner) Dan Rooney, for instance. But the way Dan and I operate our teams, where our core spiritual values are, really are lined up the same."

Like Rooney, Irsay likes to hire good people and keep them in place. So he found it heart wrenching to embark on the offseason housecleaning which saw Irsay sweep out top executive Bill Polian, coach Jim Caldwell, quarterback Peyton Manning and many of the other players who helped the Colts get the top.

"After we lost in Jacksonville and secured the first pick in the draft, I left the locker room and got on the bus," Irsay said. "Tears were rolling down my face. It was me realizing an era had come to an end. I knew the decisions I had to make."

He thought the decision to clear the way for Andrew Luck was in the best interests of both Manning and the Colts, and he said Manning was of like mind.

Irsay hopes Luck's Colts can do something Manning's Colts could not.

"We all hurt that we didn't have more than one championship in that era," he said. "In this next era, I'm hoping to have multiple championships."

Championships were a foreign concept to Irsay growing up. Before Robert Irsay purchased the Colts in 1972, he was a Bears season ticket holder who often took son Jim to games at Wrigley Field.

Jim also was a die-hard Cubs fan who once waited 11/2 hours at a bank to get Ernie Banks' autograph.

"I remember coming out of fourth grade every day, asking if Ernie hit his 500th," he said.

Irsay got to know George Halas, and Halas even attended Irsay's confirmation and wedding.

"It was a great honor for a team owner to spend time with me, like President (Barack) Obama having met George Washington," he said.

So Irsay still gets pumped up about playing the Bears in Chicago. He's throwing a big bash the night before the Sunday's season opener in Soldier Field for his Chicago family and friends and anticipates he will be doling out about 150 tickets for the game.

Irsay can spin a yarn about the father of our country as well as Papa Bear. He owns a letter written by George Washington. Also in his cultural collection are guitars once owned by George Harrison and Jerry Garcia and a first-edition Playboy magazine with Marilyn Monroe on the cover.

His prize is the 120-foot scroll on which Jack Kerouac typed On the Road. Irsay paid $2.43 million for it but said he recently fielded an offer of "eight figures." He turned it down.

He similarly was rebuffed in a recent attempt to purchase the Beatles' drum skin from the Sgt. Pepper album.

"You look for things that would have relevance 40, 50, 80 years from now," Irsay said.

Like Andrew Luck, perhaps?

"The collection is fun, but nothing is as fun as working and building the football team and winning and having success," Irsay said. "I couldn't be more pleased with where we sit right now. I'm so excited looking to the new era."

That era starts Sunday.

dpompei@tribune.com

Twitter @danpompei

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Defense particularly tough in openers
Note to Luck: Bears in habit of stifling really good QBs last 7 seasons

By Brad Biggs, Chicago Tribune reporter

10:22 p.m. CDT, September 6, 2012
Andrew Luck called the Bears defense he will face in his NFL debut Sunday in Soldier Field "historically great."

Luck doesn't need a primer on some of the franchise greats to know he's in for a difficult task when you consider how stingy the defense has been under coach Lovie Smith in season openers, holding three opponents in their last seven without an offensive touchdown, including the Falcons last year.

Luck follows an impressive list of quarterbacks the Bears have faced in openers. In the last six seasons, they have played Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers and Brett Favre.

Even in defeat, the defense has performed at a high level. In the last seven openers, the Bears are 4-3 but have surrendered only seven offensive touchdowns. The most points allowed was in a 21-15 loss at Lambeau Field to begin 2009 when cornerback Nathan Vasher slipped with 71 seconds to play allowing Rodgers to hit Greg Jennings for a game-winning 50-yard touchdown.

The defense throttled Ryan last year and knocked Stafford out in 2010 with a shoulder injury. Manning was stifled to begin the 2008 season and the 2006 Super Bowl season began with a 26-0 shutout of Favre, the first time the Packers had been blanked since 1991.

In a 14-3 loss at San Diego in 2007, the Chargers were held scoreless until the final minute of the third quarter and their first score came after a punt went off Brandon McGowan to set up Rivers with a short field at the Bears' 29-yard line. In Kyle Orton's debut to start the 2005 season, the Bears lost to the host Redskins 9-7, allowing only three field goals.

So, Luck prepares for a defense that has had an opponent passer rating of 72.1 in the previous seven openers. The opposition has averaged 3.5 yards per carry in those games. Theories remain varied why Smith's defense has been so successful at the start.

"There is no real answer," defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said. "We have good camps and the guys work hard. I believe there is something to continuity and consistency in what you do."

While some criticize the Bears for a laid-back approach in training camp with limited full contact, especially for front-line players, three sources mentioned that as a contributing factor.

"Players are fresh," one said. "That's why I call it the Bourbonnais Country Club. And they show nothing in preseason. Teams using preseason tape to study the Bears aren't going to find anything. Preseason games are a necessary evil to Lovie and when the season arrives his players are gung ho."

It's more than just making sure players have legs under them when the season begins. The Bears begin gearing up for the first opponent early, but that's not a unique practice. Marinelli says he will "take a peek" at the first opponent after the schedule is announced in April.

There is work done in training camp to prepare for Week 1. One former staff member said while it wasn't announced it was specifically for the first opponent, the offense and defense would work off cards for the opener one day in practice before the second and third exhibitions. By the time the fourth exhibition game rolled around, all focus was on the opener. The program hasn't changed much.

"In camp when you have walk-throughs, when the players don't even know it, you just slip a play in here or there," Marinelli said. "You're working on certain things all the time. The biggest thing, though, is not (the opposition). It's continually working on what we do."

Nickel cornerback D.J. Moore shrugged when asked to explain it.

"Everyone is really amped to play," he said. "That has to be part of it."

Middle linebacker Brian Urlacher wonders if the increased speed of the regular season — something Luck will experience for the first time — catches up to quarterbacks more than defenses.

"The preseason is not as fast," he said. "A lot of quarterbacks might get used to that, especially young guys. Once you hit the regular season it speeds up a little bit.

"That may be something, I don't know. Maybe we've had really good game plans."

bmbiggs@tribune.com

Twitter @BradBiggs

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Harness could allow Conte to play Sunday
Safety reluctant but may need it to protect injured right shoulder in opener

By Vaughn McClure, Chicago Tribune reporter

9:56 p.m. CDT, September 6, 2012
Chris Conte is determined to play Sunday against the Colts, but the Bears starting free safety might be reluctant to wear a harness to protect the right shoulder he dislocated in an exhibition.

Conte was limited in practice for the second consecutive day Thursday.

"I feel good,'' Conte said. "Doing everything. Shoulder's all right. I'll get in the game and do what I can do.''

It's typical for a football player to wear a harness while recovering from a dislocated shoulder. Conte tried it out this week.

"I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do,'' Conte said. "I've been trying different things out.

"It's a harness, so it just holds the arm in place. It would take some time getting used to. It's not ideal, but you do what you have to do. You want to be out there.''

Conte appeared to have his shoulder just wrapped after Thursday's practice. If he is unable to play Sunday, Craig Steltz likely would start in his place.

For kicks: Punter Adam Podlesh's return to practice Wednesday coming off a left hip flexor injury was a positive sign, but special teams coordinator Dave Toub said Podlesh did not punt Thursday. Podlesh was listed as limited on the injury report.

"That's the way we're listing him right now," Toub said. "We just have to wait and see."

Podlesh, who punts with his right foot, expressed a strong desire to play in the opener but doesn't want to rush back too soon. If he's unavailable for the Colts, rookie Ryan Quigley would handle his duties.

"I'm very comfortable,'' Toub said about his confidence in Quigley. "He has established himself. He had two solid games for us those last two preseason games. We feel good with Ryan.''

Extra points: Brian Urlacher was held out of practice Thursday. He is expected to return Friday and have full participation. … Toub said rookie Shea McClellin's reps on special teams Sunday would depend on how much McClellin plays on defense. … Running back Lorenzo Booker (head/slight concussion) was held out of practice for the third time this week. … In Indianapolis, starting guard Joe Reitz remained sidelined with a knee injury and reserve linebacker Pat Angerer remained out with a foot injury. Austin Collie, who is coming off a concussion, was limited in practice, as was fellow receiver T.Y. Hilton (shoulder).

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Sure, he's Brian Urlacher but …
Coming off knee injury at 34, and with only 2 practices, resiliency and resolve under scrutiny

David Haugh's In the Wake of the News

11:03 p.m. CDT, September 6, 2012
Those must have been two tremendous practices this week for Brian Urlacher.

Based on the bravado of Bears teammates, Urlacher quickly removed any doubts that he will return to top form against the Colts despite a left knee that has sustained two injuries in seven months. The Bears felt so confident in Urlacher's ability to use observation as preparation that coach Lovie Smith gave the guy who missed 34 days of practice another day off Thursday, starting his regular-season routine the final week of preseason in a floppy hat.

"Brian Urlacher is fine,'' Smith said of the notoriously fast healer.

Truthfully, nobody knows how long that will last — not Smith, not general manager Phil Emery, not teammates, trainers or blood-spinning German doctors. Even Urlacher has hinted at uncertainty Smith denies out of habit. Of all the things Urlacher has said in recent interviews, including criticism of yours truly that comes with the territory, the most relevant was his admission to WFLD-Ch. 32 that his knee "is never going to be the same."

Before spraining his MCL and PCL in Week 17 last season and suffering cartilage damage in the same knee after two padded practices in July, Urlacher thought like a presidential candidate: Four more years. Now?

For a 34-year-old entering the final year of a contract, acknowledging such doubt over his future suggested Urlacher's days in a Bears uniform could be numbered in games, not years. Emery has not struck me as the sentimental type in assembling the Bears roster. In other words, don't forget your camera phones Sunday at Soldier Field for Urlacher's 13th season opener. Could it be his last?

In the locker room, the Bears understandably still talk like it is 2005. They see a Hall of Fame linebacker returning in 2012 to make big plays because that is what they want to see. Football players lie to themselves even more than they do to the media. They base their projections on the image of Urlacher before however many knee surgeries, before his mysterious medical odyssey.

They cannot possibly base it on anything they have seen in two practices when Urlacher returned to his new reality. Yet when I asked Lance Briggs about the Colts attacking the Bears over the middle to test the mobility of Urlacher's knee, he answered with a dare.

"They can try, but they will fail,'' Briggs said.

Israel Idonije gave the Colts just as much verbal ammunition, not that motivation will help stop the Bears offense.

"If anyone thinks Brian is going to be a weak part of the defense, absolutely, run at him,'' Idonije said. "At the end of the day, we'll see.''

Consider the view of Andrew Luck, better than "a dime a dozen'' quarterback Briggs depicted. Luck will be tempted to target cornerback Charles Tillman after Tillman's poor exhibition showing against the Giants. Or Luck can focus on making safety Chris Conte prove why the Bears should — or shouldn't — trust him to stay as deep as the deepest. But if I were Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, first I would see if the middle of the field was open for business.

"If they want to test me then I'll have more chances to make plays,'' Urlacher said.

Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne no longer lines up exclusively on the left. Wayne in the slot potentially makes him dangerous on inside seam routes against a Cover-2 look that would reveal Urlacher's ability to turn and run. Rookie tight end Coby Fleener has shown a knack for finding openings downfield. If I were the Bears I would consider taking Urlacher out on nickel downs occasionally until everyone discovers what his knee can withstand at game speed.

Of course, if I were the Bears, I would wait until Sept. 13 to start Urlacher's season. But I understand why teams would give a leader of Urlacher's ilk a say. He has earned that right.

The Bears also might think the risk of playing Urlacher is worth the reward of seeing exactly what they still have. One could interpret the fixation on "Sept. 9,'' as the Bears admitting they don't know what to expect. Coaches are like lawyers. The best ones never pose questions without knowing the answer. Perhaps the Bears would rather learn about Urlacher's unknown limitations at home against the Colts and a rookie quarterback than at Lambeau Field against the Packers and Aaron Rodgers.

For the first time in recent memory, more questions surround the Bears' defense than offense. To a man, Bears defenders insisted Thursday they have an elite unit. It can be, but only if Urlacher resembles the player Chicago is used to seeing.

Unlike his teammates and coaches, it will take more than two practices to convince me he can.

dhaugh@tribune.com

Twitter @DavidHaugh

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Hester will see plenty of kickoff-return duty too
Receiver/punt returner will alternate reps for now with Weems on kickoffs

By Vaughn McClure, Chicago Tribune reporter

7:53 p.m. CDT, September 6, 2012
Devin Hester has a goal of four touchdowns on punt and kickoff returns this season.

Sunday's opponent might provide him with a good head start.

The Colts and veteran kicker Adam Vinatieri, however, should know to steer clear of the most dangerous returner in league history. Hester took Vinatieri's opening kickoff in Super Bowl XLI and returned it 92 yards for a score.

Bears cornerback Kelvin Hayden, who was on the Colts' coverage team that night, recalled the moment.

"I remember in our (special teams) meetings in Miami, everyone stood up and said, 'Kick it to him,' '' Hayden said. "We felt like the AFC was dominant at that time. And we hear about this guy, and he's a rookie. ... Him taking it back, it was rough.''

Times have changed, though. Hester has a whole new set of blockers, save for Israel Idonije. Vinatieri has a revamped coverage team. Plus kickoffs have been moved up from the 30-yard line to the 35, leading to an increase in touchbacks.

Bears special teams coordinator Dave Toub was asked how he thought the Colts might approach kicking to Hester.

"You really don't know,'' Toub said. "We've seen so many different things that it never surprises me. When you think a team is going to kick away, they kick right to him.''

Toub can't totally relieve Hester of kickoff-return duties, based on Hester's NFL-record 17 combined kick returns for scores. At the same time, the Bears won't overextend Hester, whose role on offense is expected to increase. Hester will split reps with veteran Eric Weems on kickoff returns, although Hester will be first up Sunday.

"As of right now, we're just alternating pretty much,'' Hester said. "I don't know how it's exactly going to work. We'll just have to see how the first game goes.

"It depends on how many plays I get on offense. If the offense is going pretty good, I might be on offense a little bit more (than kickoff returns). But I know I'm going to be put back there in crunch-time situations anyway. There's no question about it.''

There was never any doubt about Hester being the primary punt returner, but kickoffs were a different story. Although the Bears signed Weems for his expertise as a gunner on kick coverage, they told him to be prepared to assume the role of primary kickoff returner.

Weems averaged 23.5 yards per kickoff return last season, 18th in the NFL. Hester finished 24th at 21.9.

Toub previously explained how Weems' straightforward style can be more beneficial, but it's hard to argue with Hester's elusiveness. Plus Hester has five kick-return touchdowns — counting the Super Bowl — against the Bears' first three opponents: the Colts, Packers and Rams.

"My mindset is to get four returns for scores every year,'' Hester said. "That's all I really shoot for. If I stay with that on a consistent basis, I should be good.''

vxmcclure@tribune.com

Twitter @vxmcclure23

Culpfiction

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good read on Irsay....he's different to say the least.

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Bears' Marshall agrees to weekly TV gig

By Fred Mitchell, Tribune reporter

5:22 p.m. CDT, September 6, 2012
The 2012 Bears are beginning to resemble the 1985 Bears, at least off the field.

With quarterback Jay Cutler set to begin doing a weekly radio show starting Monday, his primary receiver Brandon Marshall has signed on to be a regular contributor on for WMAQ-Channel 5. Marshall will appear on the station's Sports Sunday show, which airs at approximately 10:50 p.m. after the NBC Sunday Night Football Game and NBC 5 News Sunday.

The announcement was made by the station Thursday.

“Brandon is a player that Chicago fans are really going to embrace -- a terrific personality,” Andrew Stroth, the Chicago-based attorney who represented Marshall in the deal, told the Tribune.

Through his TV appearances, Marshall also intends to expand the scope of his Project Borderline, a nonprofit organization devoted to raising awareness for borderline personality disorder, a malady that he has been struggling with for several years.

“We think Brandon will have a dynamic impact on the field and will bring interesting insight to our viewers. He and his wife Michi are looking to connect with the Chicago community as well.” station president/general manager Larry Wert said in a statement.

fmitchell@tribune.com

Twitter@kicker34

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Readers' Q&A: Dan Pompei's Bears mailbag
The Tribune's Bears columnist tackles questions on the running game, Lovie Smith's job security and more in this week's mailbag.

By Dan Pompei, Tribune reporter

4:43 p.m. CDT, September 6, 2012
If the Bears' defense is not going to be elite, gotta run the ball to keep them off the field. How's that going to fly with Jay & Co.? @Bruk72 (from Twitter)

Jay Cutler is smart enough to know that a good running game is his best friend. I don't think that is going to be a problem with him. I'm not so sure how Brandon Marshall will react if he's not getting the ball a lot, though. That will be interesting to watch.

Do you think anything short of a deep run in the playoffs will cost Lovie Smith his job? Brian R., Peoria

I don't think there is a particular number of wins, or stage of the playoffs, that Smith has to reach to be given a contract extension. I would think the decision will be more about how he does his job overall. That encompasses leadership, game management, people management, strategy, player preparation and ability to work with others, as well as results.

Should the Bears go after Kellen Winslow? @rcjumpman (from Twitter)

I wouldn't. The Bears already have four tight ends, and I'd rather have Kyle Adams, who has some potential on offense and also is a special teams contributor. Winslow likely would not be of much use on special teams. Winslow has been given up on by two teams this year. At 29 he can't run like he used to and he has a knee issue that is worrisome. He is not a deep threat anymore. He also has a history of being somewhat of a non-conformist.

How many touches do you think Michael Bush will get this week? @catrader7 (from Twitter)

I suspect Bush will get a good workload this week. I think the Bears will try to establish the run against this defense, so he will spell Matt Forte some. And I also think it's possible the Bears could be trying to protect a lead and close out the game in the fourth quarter. Bush should be the finisher in that case. I'll guess he has 12-to-14 touches.

Since leaving the Bears a cone of silence has descended around former GM Jerry Angelo. As far as I know, Angelo hasn't uttered a word about his dismissal and he's given no interviews. Have I missed anything? Does anyone know what Angelo's thoughts were? Or has he totally fallen off the radar? Bob J., Camarillo, Calif.

I think it would be safe to assume Angelo has chosen to take the high road. What was it your mother told you to say if you had nothing good to say? You haven't missed anything, Bob. By the way, with all due respect to Phil Emery, who I think has done an outstanding job, it's interesting that either 20 or 21 of the 22 Bears starters on opening day will be Angelo acquisitions. That is a credit both to Angelo and Emery, who has been wise enough and secure enough to acknowledge the existing talent on the team. Not all new GMs are so open-minded. The only certain Emery acquisition to start will be Brandon Marshall. Evan Rodriguez also is a possibility.

Is there any pattern or formula for the NFL schedule? We do play the Vikes, Lions, and Packers the last part of this season, which should bring lots of excitement to the league. Is the schedule designed by a computer? Bruce L., Hudson, Wis.

The NFL schedule, which encompasses 256 games over 17 weeks, is put together both by people and machines. A computer generates more than 1 million potential schedules, and then it is up to NFL schedule czar Howard Katz and his staff to find the ones that make the most sense and tweak them accordingly until they find a winner. It is a process that takes pretty much the entire time from the end of the season to the point when the schedule is announced in April. There are many complicating factors in NFL schedule making, including the interests of networks, trying to avoid three consecutive road games, trying to avoid road games after Monday night games, bye weeks and days when stadiums are not available due to conflicts with other events (usually baseball games). The schedule makers also try to pit division rivals against one another late in the season in the hope that those games will be meaningful.

I remember back in the mid-2000s that the NFL had a huge crisis on its hands soon after the death of Korey Stringer during a practice. For the next few years, hydration was a huge focus point during practices, and teams took extra precautions to ensure that their players were not succumbing to the elements. I bring this up because I feel like the NFL is now in a similar situation with concussions. Today, you don't hear as much about heat-related issues, largely because concussions have taken over the media spotlight. Do you think that, ultimately, this concussion issue could slowly go the way of heat-related issues, or will this be a problem that always persists? Dave M., G., Ind.

The big difference between heat-related issues and head injuries is there is an easy fix for heat-related issues. Monitor players, don't let them practice if they don't meet minimum conditioning requirements and make sure they are hydrated pre- and post-practice. We know how to reduce the risk of head injuries, but we don't know how to avoid them entirely. Nor are we entirely sure about how to treat them. I think the concussion thing can and should have a much bigger impact on the sport.

dpompei@tribune.com

Twitter@danpompei

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Urlacher gets day off from practice

By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter

3:35 p.m. CDT, September 6, 2012
Brian Urlacher reiterated Thursday that he will be in the starting lineup on Sunday when the Chicago Bears open the season against the Indianapolis Colts at Soldier Field.

But Urlacher was sidelined later in the afternoon when the team practiced in shells and shorts at Halas Hall, all part of the plan to bring along the eight-time Pro Bowl middle linebacker, who underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee last month.

Urlacher had full participation in practice on Monday and Wednesday and was given Thursday off, wearing a compression sock on his left leg and a floppy hat during the period of practice open to media. The Bears will have a short practice Friday, as usual, and a walk-through Saturday in advance of the game.

“Every other game I have ever played I’ve planned on playing the whole game,” Urlacher said. “That’s what I plan on doing right now.”

It remains to be seen if punter Adam Podlesh will be available. During the portion of practice media were allowed to view, Podlesh watched as undrafted rookie free agent Ryan Quigley kicked. The Bears are carrying Quigley on the 53-man roster as a precaution. The club announced Podlesh, who has a left hip flexor injury, was limited in practice on Wednesday.

Running back Lorenzo Booker, who has been sidelined since the final preseason game vs. the Browns with what the club as classified as a head injury, was not present during the portion of practice that was open. Booker suffered a concussion last season playing for the Minnesota Vikings.

Free safety Chris Conte (shoulder) and defensive tackle Stephen Paea (ankle) were practicing and appear on track to play vs. the Colts.

bmbiggs@tribune.com
Twitter @BradBiggs

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Urlacher 'not up to speed,' but knee feels 'good'

By Vaughn McClure, Tribune reporter

12:56 p.m. CDT, September 6, 2012
Linebacker Brian Urlacher said his left knee is feeling "good" as he continues to prepare for the Chicago Bears' season opener Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts.

Urlacher, who returned to practice this week after having arthroscopic surgery on the knee Aug. 14, is still in the process of getting his conditioning back after the long layoff.

"No, I’m not up to speed," Urlacher said Thursday. "I know the defense well, but I’ve got to get my technique down and work on some things. But I’m practicing, still. That’s all that really matters to me.

"I’ll get it down. The more I’m out there, the more reps I see, I’ll get better."

Urlacher had full participation in practice Wednesday and also practiced a good amount Monday.

The eight-time Pro Bowler did clarify that the injury he sustained to the knee during training camp was different than the sprained medial collateral ligament/posterior cruciate ligament he suffered in a Jan. 1, season-ending win at Minnesota.

Urlacher told the Tribune he felt great going into the training camp but aggravated some loose cartilage during the first padded practice at camp. Urlacher felt a "pop" when it happened.

With the pain now gone, Urlacher expects to play a full amount of snaps Sunday even if his reps are limited some in practice. He was asked about the Colts maybe attacking the middle of the field Sunday to test his knee.

"I’m not worried about it," Urlacher said. "We’ll run our Cover-2 if we have to and see what happens. If they want to test me, I’ll have more chances to make plays then."

Linebacker Lance Briggs was asked the same question regarding Urlacher being attacked over the middle.

"They can try, but they will fail," Briggs said.

NOTE: The Bears will wear their 1940s throwback jerseys twice this season: Oct. 28 against Carolina and Dec. 16 against Green Bay, the team said on its website.

vxmcclure@tribune.com

Twitter @vxmcclure23

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
In Brandon Marshall, Bears’ offense has elite receiver it lacked
BY SEAN JENSEN sjensen@suntimes.com September 6, 2012 10:52PM
Updated: September 7, 2012 2:35AM

Look at him.

The 6-4 frame, the massive mitts.

Watch the highlights.

The end-zone snatches over helpless — and sometimes hapless — cornerbacks and safeties. The explosive run-after-catch sprints down the field.

Now don’t stare; Brandon Marshall isn’t a diva-type receiver. Sure, he has had turbulent times on the football field and in his private life, but since coming to the Bears via trade, Marshall’s sole goal was fitting in, not standing out, which is why he dramatically reduced the number of interviews he granted toward the end of training camp.

But behold, Bears fans, what a No. 1 receiver looks like.

“There’s no doubt about it,” receivers coach Darryl Drake said, “he’s a true No. 1. And he epitomizes a true No. 1.”

Marty Booker was the Bears’ last Pro Bowl receiver in 2002. But before Marshall’s arrival, the only credible No. 1 candidate in Bears history was Harlon Hill, a former MVP who starred in the mid-’50s.

Even Hill, however, is a stretch.

Marshall’s career and season numbers would dominate the Bears’ record books: His 494 catches would edge Walter Payton by two; his 104 catches in 2008 would top Booker’s total in 2001 by four; and his 6,247 receiving yards would crush Johnny Morris’ 5,059. The only notable records Marshall wouldn’t own are most yards in a season (1,400 by Marcus Robinson in 1999) and 50 career touchdown receptions by Ken Kavanaugh (Marshall has 34).

And he’s only 28.

Marshall said he’s not familiar with Bears receivers of the past, but he’s optimistic about his future.

“I know it’s a great opportunity for me to make a mark here,” he said. “But if I do what I’m capable of — and take advantage of my opportunities — all that stuff will fall into place.”

Like Barry

When he was a kid, Marshall didn’t look up to Jerry Rice.

He closely watched running backs because that’s what he mostly played, and his favorite NFL player was Barry Sanders.

“You can see it in my game now, what I do when I have the ball in my hands,” Marshall said. “I grew up playing running back.”

Not surprisingly, Marshall is one of the top receivers at generating YAC, or yards after catch. But he’s more Christian Okoye than Sanders.

Four-time All-Pro cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha of the Philadelphia Eagles once noted that Marshall was the toughest receiver to bring down one-on-one.

Renowned for forcing fumbles, Charles Tillman is one of the best tackling defensive backs in the NFL, but even he acknowledged the battles with Marshall throughout training camp.

“It’s hard on the body,’’ Tillman said. ‘‘He wins some, I win some. I try to win more than I lose, but he’s really good.”

Six-time Pro Bowl receiver Larry Fitzgerald of the Arizona Cardinals watches a lot of film of other players at his position, and he has come to admire Marshall for his “competitive spirit.”

“He’s a fierce, fierce competitor,” Fitzgerald said. “I love how he takes on the challenges week in and week out.”

Slipping down the ranks

But Marshall isn’t so sure he’s considered among the elite receivers anymore.

“That’s very humbling, but at the same time it’s pretty cool because I have an amazing opportunity with the guys I’m surrounded by,” Marshall said. “I kind of like being under the radar. I’m excited to be back with my quarterback [Jay Cutler] and a guy on the offensive staff [Jeremy Bates] who knows what I’m capable of, so there are no excuses this year.”

Like Fitzgerald, Marshall closely monitors the performance of other top receivers in the NFL.

“Shoot, I got everyone on my iPad, and I watch a little bit of everyone,” Marshall said. “There are the obvious: Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Fitzgerald. But, man, there are so many guys out there.”

This season, Marshall said he’s focused on catching more passes in the red zone.

“Having more patience and being more productive,” he said. “Also, taking advantage of my opportunities, whether it’s a bad pass or a deflected pass or a dropped ball. That’s where I’m looking to improve.”

Not much stock is put in the Pro Bowl, but Fitzgerald marveled at how Marshall dominated the last game and earned the MVP award. In the AFC’s 59-41 victory, Marshall caught six passes for 176 yards and four touchdowns.

“I was there; I saw it,” Fitzgerald said. “He definitely has it, and he’s getting back with Jay Cutler, so it’s going to be even more potent.

“He’s a phenomenal, phenomenal talent.”

Denver Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey, an 11-time Pro Bowl selection, acknowledges Marshall’s physical tools, but he adds that he isn’t on the same level as Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson.

“I’m not going to put Brandon in that category yet,’’ Bailey said. ‘‘He’s got a great quarterback, and that’s what he lacked in Miami. He can put himself there this year because there’s no reason he can’t.

“As far as talent, he’s up there with them. But production-wise, not yet.”

Marshall, Fitzgerald and Roddy White are the only receivers to top 1,000 receiving yards in each of the last five seasons. Marshall doesn’t usually pen specific goals, but he did for this season.

“I have them written down somewhere where the world can see it, but no one knows,” he coyly said. “So when it happens, I’m going to say, ‘Go look at that number.’ ’’

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Brian Urlacher says he’s ‘not up to speed’ yet
BY JOE COWLEY jcowley@suntimes.com September 6, 2012 10:50PM

At some point Sunday, the Indianapolis Colts will test Bears middle linebacker Brian Urlacher’s injured left knee.

After all, he has gone more than a month without practicing and is three weeks removed from arthroscopic surgery.

Urlacher has a message to any team looking to take him on.

‘‘If they want to test me, I’ll have more chances to make plays then,’’ he said Thursday.

But it wasn’t all tough-guy talk from the 34-year-old, who admitted that he’s in cramming mode.

‘‘No, I’m not up to speed,’’ Urlacher said. ‘‘I know the defense well, but I’ve got to get my technique down and work on some things. But I’m practicing still, and that’s all that matters to me. I’ll get it down. The more I’m out there, the more reps I’ll see, I’ll get better. I’m not as out of shape as I thought I would be, so that’s good.’’

Thursday wouldn’t be a day to play catch-up, either. Urlacher didn’t practice — coach’s decision.

‘‘I’m not worried, but there’s only so many plays that you have, and for me, and for us, I just don’t think he needs any more than a couple of days in a week,’’ coach Lovie Smith said. ‘‘He’s had trouble with the knee, so we’re not going to push the knee through the week. We’ve done that in the past with a lot of guys, though. This is no big issue at all.’’

No big issue? It actually has been the issue with Urlacher since he injured the knee in the 2011 season finale. He has had two known procedures on the leg since. The latest was the surgery Aug. 14.

While Smith has lightened Urlacher’s practice reps, Urlacher said there was no talk about limiting his game reps.

‘‘Just like every other game I’ve played, I plan on playing the whole game,’’ Urlacher said.

Just don’t ask him if he has tested the knee this week by going all out, making sure it would hold up.

‘‘I don’t even know if I’ve let it go in a game the last eight years, so practice we do what we can,’’ Urlacher said. “We run to the football as fast as we need to, and then we go. Same thing in a game. If I have to run full speed, I will. If I don’t, I won’t.’’

As far as the Colts testing Urlacher, teammate Lance Briggs was all but daring them.

‘‘They can try,’’ Briggs said, ‘‘but they will fail.’’

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Colts quarterback Andrew Luck an X-factor for Bears
BY MARK POTASH mpotash@suntimes.com September 6, 2012 10:50PM

The expectation that the Bears can take advantage of Indianapolis Colts rookie quarterback Andrew Luck is tempered by the fear that Luck might take advantage of them.

Luck, the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, will make his NFL debut against the Bears on Sunday at Soldier Field. Of the 11 quarterbacks drafted No. 1 overall in the last 15 years, only the Texans’ David Carr won his first NFL start. The Texans beat the Dallas Cowboys 19-10 in the 2002 season opener. The Cowboys finished 5-11.

Luck is on a team that finished 2-14 last season and is facing a Bears team that’s better than the 2002 Cowboys. But he also is considered by some as the best quarterback prospect since Peyton Manning in 1998. So despite his inexperience, Luck still is an X-factor. Last year, the Carolina Panthers’ Cam Newton was 24-for-37 for 422 yards, two touchdowns, an interception and a 110.4 passer rating in a 34-29 loss to the Bears in his fourth NFL game.

‘‘It doesn’t matter to me,’’ linebacker Lance Briggs said when asked if he looks forward to facing rookie quarterbacks. ‘‘It’s really more about what we do. He’s a good quarterback. He’s smart. He’s prepared. You know all the rookie quarterbacks can come in and play.

‘‘But do I think they are Tom Brady or Peyton Manning? No. They have to learn like everybody else. Guys like Cam Newton, they’ve come out and put out some special numbers, but most quarterbacks are a dime a dozen, as far as I’m concerned. There’s an elite group, and then there’s guys that are either learning and trying to get better or are just a dime a dozen.’’

Injury update

Middle linebacker Brian Urlacher (knee) did not practice Thursday, and safety Chris Conte (dislocated shoulder) and punter Adam Podlesh (hip flexor) practiced on a limited basis. Urlacher is expected to start, Conte is questionable and Podlesh is unlikely to play. Craig Steltz would start for Conte, and rookie Ryan Quigley would punt for Podlesh.

McClellin ready

Bears rookie defensive end Shea McClellin said he feels ‘‘well-prepared’’ for his NFL debut. McClellin figures to be a situational pass rusher, though he could play on special teams ‘‘if he’s not in the rotation [at end] and he’s not getting a lot of reps on defense,’’ special-teams coordinator Dave Toub said.

McClellin just wants to be on the field.

‘‘We’ll see when the time comes,’’ McClellin said when asked about his role on defense. ‘‘It doesn’t matter to me. Whatever the team needs me to play, I’ll play.’’

Notes

Devin Hester will return punts and kickoffs against the Colts, Toub said.

◆ Eric Weems and Sherrick McManis will be gunners on coverage units.

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
2012 Bears: 11-5 and winning the NFC North
September 6, 2012, 11:11 pm
JOHN "MOON" MULLIN http://www.csnchicago.com

The Bears added impact players on offense (Michal Bush, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery and Jason Campbell if they need him). It is finally a unit that should be good enough to allow a veteran defense to relax on the sideline and good enough to carry it if need be.

It is a team that will keep Lovie Smith as head coach for another year (a contract extension is an unknown, just because he has another year at $5.5 million). And it will be in the playoffs.

Here’s how:

Week/Opponent (2011 record)/Day/date/time

1. Indianapolis Colts (2-14), Sun., Sept. 10, noon

Analysis: Andrew Luck looks absolutely like the goods, and the Colts used seven of their first eight draft picks on offense, then traded for a top DB in Vontae Davis. The Bears will go smash-mouth and pound the ball on the ground to keep the rookie off the field.

Result: W (1-0)

2. At Green Bay Packers (15-1), Thurs., Sept. 13, 7:20 p.m.

Analysis: Green Bay went the opposite direction from the Colts and used its first six picks on defense. The Packers are the gold standard in the NFC North and arguably the entire NFC. But the Bears did more upgrading this offseason and closed the gap, just not quite enough at this point. This will be the telling point in Brian Urlacher’s return from knee issues.

Result: L (1-1)

3. St. Louis Rams (2-14), Sun., Sept. 23, noon

Analysis: The Rams have won three or fewer games in four of the last five seasons; that’s not likely to hold true after the Rams brought in Jeff Fisher. St. Louis was aggressive in free agency but the Bears aren’t going to lose two straight after 10 days to rebound after Green Bay.

Result: W (2-1)

4. At Dallas Cowboys (8-8), Mon., Oct. 1, 7:30 p.m.

Analysis: Playing in Jerry Jones’ playhouse will be a problem and the Cowboys have been difficult for Lovie's Bears (1-2). But the Bears won in ’10 on their first visit there and few teams are more capable of underachieving than the Tony Romo Cowboys.

Result: W (3-1)

5. At Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11), Sun., Oct. 7, 3:05 p.m.

Analysis: The Jags are a work-in-progress under new coach Mike Mularkey and it’s not clear whether Blaine Gabbert is a positive part of the New QB wave. Jacksonville reversed the Bears’ draft tack, using the fifth-overall pick on WR Justin Blackmon and their second-rounder on a speed rusher off the edge (Andre Branch).

Result: W (4-1)

6. Off week

7. Detroit Lions (10-6), Mon., Oct. 22, 7:30 p.m.

Analysis: The Bears amassed 752 combined yards on Detroit in the two 2011 games. Character issues are unanswered with the Jim Schwartz Lions, who have talent and went OL with their top pick (T Reilly Reiff) to deal with Julius Peppers. It won’t be enough with Detroit’s problems in the secondary.

Result: W (5-1)

8. Carolina Panthers (6-10), Sun., Oct. 28, noon

Analysis: The Panthers were bad vs. the run and hope they solved some problems with LB Luke Kuechly. But this is the Cam Newton Show and the Bears survived him last year. They will again.

Result: W (6-1)

9. At Tennessee Titans (9-7), Sun., Nov. 4, noon

Analysis: Whether the Bears will be facing Matt Hasselbeck or Jake Locker is a question but Tennessee’s offensive line allowed just 24 sacks last year. This is a very dangerous team, adding pass rusher Kamerion Wimbley, aging but solid LG Steve Hutchinson and drafting Baylor WR Kendall Wright a pick after the Bears took Shea McClellin.

Result: L (6-2)

10. Houston Texans (10-6), Sun., Nov. 11, 7:20 p.m.

Analysis: The Texans are a Super Bowl pick for some and have a defense that was No. 2 in yardage defense and No 4 in points allowed and added Illinois’ Whitney Mercilus with the 26th-overall pick. QB Matt Schaub has had trouble staying healthy but this was a playoff team last year and got better.

Result: L (6-3)

11. At San Francisco 49ers (13-3), Mon., Nov. 19, 7:30 p.m.

Analysis: San Francisco powered up its passing offense with Randy Moss and Mario Manningham signings and drafting Illinois’ A.J. Jenkins in the first round. This defense was No. 1 in yardage allowed and No. 2 in points surrendered. But it is difficult to see this Bears team losing three in a row and this is a conference game.

Result: W (7-3)

12. Minnesota Vikings (3-13), Sun., Nov. 25, noon

Analysis: By this point Adrian Peterson should be a factor although not likely to the level he’s been in years past. The O-line will be better with LT Matt Kalil and QB Christian Ponder should take a big jump in year two. But the talent is still not enough to end Bears’ five-game win streak in this rivalry.

Result: W (8-3)

13. Seattle Seahawks (7-9), Sun., Dec. 2, noon*

Analysis: Seattle has won two of the last three in Soldier Field but last year’s game, in which Johnny Knox suffered his back injury was the Bears behind Caleb Hanie. The pass rush will be better with rookie Bruce Irvin but the Bears are turning for home and can see the playoffs.

Result: W (9-3)

14. At Minnesota Vikings (3-13), Sun., Dec. 9, noon*

Analysis: The Vikings didn’t get that much better in two weeks.

Result: W (10-3)

15. Green Bay Packers (15-1), Sun., Dec. 16, noon*

Analysis: The Bears will have won four straight and will be playing with confidence and a need for payback. They will edge out the Packers for the NFC North title but Green Bay is not surrendering its crown willingly.

Result: L (10-4)

16. At Arizona Cardinals (8-8), Sun., Dec. 23, 3:15 p.m.*

Analysis: Arizona reached .500 in 2011 but has done little in the offseason to get better and is converting to a 3-4. On offense neither Kevin Kolb nor John Skelton is enough to beat this Bears defense.

Result: W (11-4)

17. At Detroit Lions (10-6), Sun., Dec. 30, noon*

Analysis: The Bears will have clinched the division and unless his team is still playing for a first-round bye, Lovie Smith isn’t going risk injuries to linchpins as he did last game 16.

Result: L (11-5)

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Evan Rodriguez cracks Bears starting lineup
September 6, 2012, 9:54 pm
JOHN "MOON" MULLIN http://www.csnchicago.com

Evan Rodriguez was drafted out of Temple for his receiving prowess and potential. He caught 13 passes in 2009; then 21 in 2010, an increase of 62 percent; and finally 35 last season, a jump of 67 percent.

But given the choice between catching a pass and delivering a “de-cleater” – a block that takes an opponent completely off his feet/cleats and flattens him – the choice was easy.

“I would have to say a de-cleater. That’s more emotional,” Rodriguez said, then laughed. “But if it’s a touchdown catch, hey, no comparison there.”

Good answer, kid, especially for a starting tight end in the Chicago Bears offense of former NFL tight end Mike Tice.

The top end of the Bears’ 2012 draft class – defensive end Shea McClellin, receiver Alshon Jeffery – have moved into impact positions with chances to start sooner rather than later this season. McClellin is in on the No. 1 nickel unit with Israel Idonije bumping inside to tackle. Jeffery also is in the nickel unit, a third receiver who is on track to be starting by mid-season.

But the first 2012 rookie to break into the starting lineup was neither of those two, but fourth-round pick Rodriguez.

“I think [starting] would’ve eventually happened somewhere down the road,” Rodriguez said. “But the fact that it happened pretty much early, I’m excited about that. I’ve still got to prove myself, though.”

The tight end from Temple, the 111th overall pick last April, is the starting fullback/H back in an offense that uses two tight ends as its base package.

“He’s going to get a lot of playing time,” said Tice. “We’re going to play four tight ends. We don’t have a FB on the roster. We anointed him that guy.”

Rodriguez is quick to remind that he was a very accomplished blocker at Temple, where he had a hand in Bernard Pierce leading the Mid-American Conference in rushing for 2009 and 2011 and finishing eighth in 2010.

Rodriguez did his job so well that Pierce was picked 84th overall and is now with the Baltimore Ravens.

Rodriguez wouldn’t mind a chance to show what he can do with the ball in his hands, although a handoff a’la William Perry is a serious longshot.

“I don’t know. We’ll see,” Rodriguez said. “If there’s the opportunity down the road, that’d be fun. Not counting on it, though.”

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Urlacher is ready to go for Sunday
September 6, 2012, 9:46 pm
KIP LEWIS http://www.csnchicago.com

Don't think for one second that Brian Urlacher would be on the field Sunday if he wasn't able to do his job. That means covering the middle of the field in the Tampa 2 defense, fitting in the run game when he's supposed to be in the hole, or running sideline-to-sideline.

Lovie Smith in no way would jeopardize a star player if he didn't believe he could perform at a high level. That doesn't neccesarily mean one hundred percent, but very few guys will be one hundred percent after the opening week anyway.

Lovie and Lance Briggs were both asked if they thought the Colts would test him and they basically laughed the question off.

Indy has enough to worry about with a rookie quarterback and several young players that are untested in the NFL.

Urlacher is older and both he and Smith have said from the start they will monitor his practice time during the week, which is in no way unique for established veteran players.

A prime example is packers defensive back Charles Woodson. He's been known to not practice all week and has no problems performing on game day.

The real answer on Urlacher's Health will come next week when they have the quick turnaround leading up to the game in Green Bay. As long as he plays on game day and performs like he has in past, his knee and how many surgeries he's had is irrelevant.