Zambrano: Cubs promise 'pen stay temporary

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
CHICAGO -- Chicago Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano said he has been promised his stay in the bullpen will be temporary as general manager Jim Hendry looks for another reliever to fill the eighth-inning setup role.

In his first comments to reports since his move to the bullpen, Zambrano on Monday said he is OK with his new role and will return to the starting rotation as soon as Hendry finds another reliever to fill the eighth-inning spot.

Zambrano, who made his bullpen season debut on Saturday against the Milwaukee Brewers, is available to pitch Monday night against the Washington Nationals. Cubs manager Lou Piniella said on Sunday that he won't use Zambrano in back-to-back games for at least the first three or four times Zambrano pitches out of the bullpen.
Link

I thought this was obvious, but Silva or Gorzelanny will go to the pen when one of them begins to suck. As for now, Big Z should be a good setup man for Marmol. Carlos setting up for Carlos lol

Cubbiefan161

Liked Posts:
I agree, Z has to stay in the bullpen for a while because quite frankly he's not needed in the rotation right now. The rest of the starters are doing great and Lilly was awesome in his return against MIL. Z should stay in the 'pen, it will probably be better for him and the team in the long run.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree, Z has to stay in the bullpen for a while because quite frankly he's not needed in the rotation right now. The rest of the starters are doing great and Lilly was awesome in his return against MIL. Z should stay in the 'pen, it will probably be better for him and the team in the long run.
I don't agree. Z's best fit is as a starter. While he's not an ace, he's a very good starter who anchors Chicago's rotation and usually gives the Cubs a good chance to win

Cubbiefan161

Liked Posts:
I don't agree. Z's best fit is as a starter. While he's not an ace, he's a very good starter who anchors Chicago's rotation and usually gives the Cubs a good chance to win

In past seasons he's proved he's a good starter but right now he isnt pitching well enough to be a starter. The rotation is also doing really well without him. I think he just needs to do whats best for the team and right now the team needs him in the 'pen.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
the pen is just to get his rhythm back and stuff..hell back as a starter soon and dominate

ZAN

Liked Posts:
I honestly think Big Z doesn't deserve his spot in the rotation. His contract says differently. But the starting rotation, sans Big Z, has an ERA of 1.99

Silva is 0.95 going into tonights start.
Dempster has been brilliant.
Wells looks like our ace.
Gorzelanny has pitched exceptionally well.
Lilly looked great on Friday, and should continue to pitch well.

Big Z is the only starter that can't string together 3-4 good starts in a row...and it's really killing us. He has electric stuff...that's well documented. If he throws well as a setup man, why not keep him there.

If the Cubs make the playoffs, Zambrano said he wants to go back to the starting rotation. I say f*ck that. If we get to the playoffs, then Big Z's performance as a setup man will have been a key role in making the playoffs...

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's no way Silva will continue to be good. He'll start to suck sometime in May

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
^^idk but he wont have an 0.95 ERA by then thats for sure

Cubbiefan161

Liked Posts:
^^well obviously not, but that doesnt mean that he will become horrible.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
He won't sustain the success he's having. He will sooner or later struggle and Z will be put into the rotation. Right now Lou is just riding the hot hand in Silva.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
There's no way Silva will continue to be good. He'll start to suck sometime in May

Can you support this statement?

Greg Maddux, who, in my opinion, will eventually become the greatest pitching coach of all time (if he wants to), worked with Carlos Silva and changed two things:

1. He moved Silva to the left side of the pitching rubber.
In Cleveland, Silva worked closer to the right side of the rubber.

2. He changed Silva's arm angle to a 3/4 release.
In Cleveland, Silva was more sidearmed. Don't get me wrong...he wasn't a sidearm pitcher. But being a sinkerball pitcher like Silva is, you need some downward angle on your release to help get the bottom to fall out of the pitch. Having a more sideways angle makes a sinking fastball just sputter up to the plate. Very hittable.

What's the result been thus far? The sinker is diving like crazy, and he's locating the strikezone early and often. He's pitching roughly 11-13 pitches an inning. That's very efficient. That, and he's striking out the hitters he should.

I wish Maddux would try to figure out Carlos Zambrano, since we have 18 million invested in him for the next 3-4 years...but only Big Z knows Big Z.

ButchCrassidy

Liked Posts:
South Side of Chicago (formerly of 87th, currently
Uh-oh. Don't tell me there are Cubs fans who are ready to give the Cy Young to Silva.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Uh-oh. Don't tell me there are Cubs fans who are ready to give the Cy Young to Silva.

Who said he was a CY candidate? I just think Maddux made him much more dependant than Zambrano; which still doesn't say much.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Uh-oh...the real Carlos (Silva) rolling again....

2 IP
3 K
0 H
0 BB

Hopefully we can manufacture some runs tonight. Not a hitters night.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
History has shown that Silva will implode. Just look at his stats. He's only had a couple of winning years and an ERA under 4 twice. It's just a matter of time, no matter what Maddux is doing with him.

Are you sure you're not mixing him up with someone else ZAN? You keep saying Cleveland and he has never pitched for Cleveland.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
Don't get me wrong, I would love for him to be a 15-16+ game winner, but I just don't think it's going to happen.

And I really, really hope I eat my words on this.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Seattle* My fault.

He never had Maddux helping him. I think Greg is that damn good at analyzing pitching...

Silva helps himself to a 2-0 lead. Let's go!