Here Is To The NHL Dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Still not that worried. Would be a shame if Ovie played in the KHL but I don't think enough would follow to make it hurt.

With that being said...still not worried. If he followed through on his threat, there would be a long road for him to stay in the KHL.

It is a threat and not a lot more than that at this point. Not like anyone expected him to say how he will stay in the NHL no matter what. This is pretty much like a GM talking up his prospects. Kind of have to take this stance.

Not worried. Fact.

:rofl: @ your failed attempt to mock me.

you fail. fact.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is there anyone else here with any opinions? Getting kinda bored with the whole Hawkposter guy sputtering on about nothing.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Is there anyone else here with any opinions? Getting kinda bored with the whole Hawkposter guy sputtering on about nothing.

Anyone here just want to talk about hockey and not have to respond to bullshit? Kinda getting annoying with this DewsSux guy starting shit everytime after a post that doesn't warrant it.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone here just want to talk about hockey and not have to respond to bullshit? Kinda getting annoying with this DewsSux guy starting shit everytime after a post that doesn't warrant it.

:dontcare:

"im herez to talkz hockeyz guyszz"

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I just think its naive for people to think that the NHL will bounce back to where it was right away again.

Right now people don't notice because of MLB playoffs in full swing, NFL, etc., but the damage will be done soon if the lockout isn't ended.

I think Ovi's blowing smoke out of his rearend with that threat, but I'm sure role players will probably be among the first to stay in Europe.

Kleats

Liked Posts:
The KHL is not the NHL, but when you get stars going over there saying they may stay because its closer to their families, money, etc that's a big enough concern for me.
I love ur avatar . Every time I see her I wish I could give her a tongue bath . A nice s l o w tongue bath . Mmmm

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I love ur avatar . Every time I see her I wish I could give her a tongue bath . A nice s l o w tongue bath . Mmmm

sexy-st-louis-cardinals-fan-7.jpg

sexy-st-louis-cardinals-fan-61.jpg

9407071-sexy-baseball-girl.jpg

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just think its naive for people to think that the NHL will bounce back to where it was right away again.

Right now people don't notice because of MLB playoffs in full swing, NFL, etc., but the damage will be done soon if the lockout isn't ended.

I think Ovi's blowing smoke out of his rearend with that threat, but I'm sure role players will probably be among the first to stay in Europe.

pretty much. but if players can get the same or more money (superstars) and be closer to home I can see them staying over where they were born.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
pretty much. but if players can get the same or more money (superstars) and be closer to home I can see them staying over where they were born.

Players have already been given the chance over the last few years to get paid more in KHL and they are still choosing to stay in the NHL. Ovechkin had an absolutely ridiculous contract offer from the KHL and he chose to stay in the NHL. I think Radulov is even making around $9mil a year over there (tax free) which is ridiculous.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Players have already been given the chance over the last few years to get paid more in KHL and they are still choosing to stay in the NHL. Ovechkin had an absolutely ridiculous contract offer from the KHL and he chose to stay in the NHL. I think Radulov is even making around $9mil a year over there (tax free) which is ridiculous.

Its a much different NHL than from a few years ago. The league is far from stable. Players are probably recognizing this instability and will make the switch. This isnt the NHL where a few years ago the league was on the rise, its fallen hard and it will take years to reverse the damage done by yet another lockout.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Its a much different NHL than from a few years ago. The league is far from stable. Players are probably recognizing this instability and will make the switch. This isnt the NHL where a few years ago the league was on the rise, its fallen hard and it will take years to reverse the damage done by yet another lockout.

I still think the players and their agents know that the NHL is a much better choice. The money has always been offered with the KHL...but there have been several players over there reporting that they are shorted on paychecks or that they don't come at all. The travel in the KHL is pretty ridiculous...both with distance and how those players travel compared to the NHL. I don't get how the NHL has "fallen hard"...the lockout obviously isn't a good thing and could hurt in the future. However, leading up to this lockout (from the previous one) the NHL has seen increases in revenue just about every single year...and some significant ones. EDIT: Just looked it up and the number I am seeing is an increase of 7.1% per year in revenue, all during a recession.

I just don't see this changing at all. There have obviously been players who were lured over there in the past (Radulov and Jagr are the big names) and I'm sure it will continue in the future. However, I just don't see a large exit and especially an exit that involves several stars/superstars.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I still think the players and their agents know that the NHL is a much better choice. The money has always been offered with the KHL...but there have been several players over there reporting that they are shorted on paychecks or that they don't come at all. The travel in the KHL is pretty ridiculous...both with distance and how those players travel compared to the NHL. I don't get how the NHL has "fallen hard"...the lockout obviously isn't a good thing and could hurt in the future. However, leading up to this lockout (from the previous one) the NHL has seen increases in revenue just about every single year...and some significant ones. EDIT: Just looked it up and the number I am seeing is an increase of 7.1% per year in revenue, all during a recession.

I just don't see this changing at all. There have obviously been players who were lured over there in the past (Radulov and Jagr are the big names) and I'm sure it will continue in the future. However, I just don't see a large exit and especially an exit that involves several stars/superstars.

The impact won't be immediate, but as you said the lockout won't be a good thing. It'll be hard for the league to keep increasing revenues while not playing any games. I really thought the NHL had a chance to capitalize and close in on the MLB being the third most popular sport in the US, but the longer the lockout goes on, the NHL becomes less relevant.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
The impact won't be immediate, but as you said the lockout won't be a good thing. It'll be hard for the league to keep increasing revenues while not playing any games. I really thought the NHL had a chance to capitalize and close in on the MLB being the third most popular sport in the US, but the longer the lockout goes on, the NHL becomes less relevant.

The NHL was not going to close the gap on the MLB or NBA. Just not going to happen in the States. Never will and quite frankly I'm fine with that. I'm fine with waking up and turning into the NHLNetwork instead of ESPN to get my fix of hockey.

Who knows how the NHL will come out of this lockout, sure hope it is for the better like the last one (Don't see it going either way really, hopefully just continue the steady growth) and I sure hope it doesn't take the whole year to figure it out.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
The NHL was not going to close the gap on the MLB or NBA. Just not going to happen in the States. Never will and quite frankly I'm fine with that. I'm fine with waking up and turning into the NHLNetwork instead of ESPN to get my fix of hockey.

Who knows how the NHL will come out of this lockout, sure hope it is for the better like the last one (Don't see it going either way really, hopefully just continue the steady growth) and I sure hope it doesn't take the whole year to figure it out.

U-Verse doesn't get NHLN :(

LOL @ how drastic of a threat nwfisch and Dewey are imagining with the KHL. Way to overreact and not have a concept of the bigger economic picture. The NHL when struggling is still better off than the KHL "thriving". The KHL is to the UFL as the NHL is to the NFL.

KHL and UFL often don't pay players their salary, don't get the same kind of media attention, and are simply lockout alternatives.
NHL and NFL are the best leagues in their respective sports, have a significant economic edge, and get all of the media attention in their sports.

Oh, and by the way, only 3.3% of NHL players are KHL players, but let's watch the exodus of Russians kill the league :lmao:

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Sadly have uverse as well...

I don't agree with the Khl/UFL.. It's more CFL like. The UFL has had a goal from the start to evolve into a minor league to the NFL. That's why their motto was chosen as, where future stars are born.

It sucks hard how both sides have tugged this rift but I'm not gonna stop watching when it comes back.

Sent from Neverwhere using Taptalk

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Sadly have uverse as well...

I don't agree with the Khl/UFL.. It's more CFL like. The UFL has had a goal from the start to evolve into a minor league to the NFL. That's why their motto was chosen as, where future stars are born.

It sucks hard how both sides have tugged this rift but I'm not gonna stop watching when it comes back.

Sent from Neverwhere using Taptalk

I meant the not paying players thing, as far as I know CFL pays their players 100% of the time, though they don't make all that much

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
U-Verse doesn't get NHLN :(

LOL @ how drastic of a threat nwfisch and Dewey are imagining with the KHL. Way to overreact and not have a concept of the bigger economic picture. The NHL when struggling is still better off than the KHL "thriving". The KHL is to the UFL as the NHL is to the NFL.

KHL and UFL often don't pay players their salary, don't get the same kind of media attention, and are simply lockout alternatives.
NHL and NFL are the best leagues in their respective sports, have a significant economic edge, and get all of the media attention in their sports.

Oh, and by the way, only 3.3% of NHL players are KHL players, but let's watch the exodus of Russians kill the league :lmao:

what?! wow.

stick to the fire

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Still not that worried. Would be a shame if Ovie played in the KHL but I don't think enough would follow to make it hurt.

With that being said...still not worried. If he followed through on his threat, there would be a long road for him to stay in the KHL.

It is a threat and not a lot more than that at this point. Not like anyone expected him to say how he will stay in the NHL no matter what. This is pretty much like a GM talking up his prospects. Kind of have to take this stance.

Not worried. Fact.

I think it would sting the NHL. OV, while not the player he once was, is a juicy marketable player because he's a talented Russian playing in a big market.

I also think all it would take is a dollar figure to convince the Caps to not pursue a breach of contract lawsuit. They'd much rather have that than a lolly gagging, disgruntled OV (even more so than he's ever been accused of in the past) eating an enormous hole in the wallet. I mean, could you imagine him being a loaner a la Huet all the way until 2021 - or whenever his lonf contract expires - for that monster salary? Oif.

Also, the IIHF could not interfere in his desire to play internationally (which has always been a huge issue for OV); they have no grounds to be involved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.