Here Is To The NHL Dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of course that is why they are playing in other leagues RIGHT NOW. To keep making money and to keep in shape. I never said differently.

Even with the lockout, the NHL has a ridiculous more amount of job security (and in general) than the KHL. Once this ends, it will continue. It isn't going to last forever.

The lost wages and revenue suck, but the players and owners are doing this to get a bigger piece of the pie. Long term it could benefit one side, which is why there is the lockout.

The NHL should not be concerned with the MLB, NFL, or really any other league. There is no worthwhile dent to be made.

People just love to overreact about the lockout...just hope we don't all die because of it.

:rofl: ok, we are overreacting :rolleyes:

The league will stay but become more and more irrelevant. The instability will have players play close to home, a loss of more fans, and subtraction of teams in coming years. None of this is good for the NHL and they will suffer due to this lockout. Again, denial.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because they won't be making money in the NHL for part of this season anyways, and at this rate the whole season. If the players have to re-negotiate their CBA every 5 years or so, I'm not sure why they'd want to stay in the NHL if there is more security in the KHL. Obviously there have been problems with the KHL as well, so it isn't the perfect fix nor the only one.

I agree the NHL will probably still go on, there will still be stars etc. The damage is unknown at this point, but a lockout isn't beneficial for the league and certainly not the players. The league is shooting themselves in the foot when they had a chance to continue to make a dent in MLB's and NBA's ratings/shares etc.

:clap:

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:

The league will stay but become more and more irrelevant. The instability will have players play close to home, a loss of more fans, and subtraction of teams in coming years. None of this is good for the NHL and they will suffer due to this lockout. Again, denial.

While I would love to see subtraction, in the coming years the arrow is pointing towards expansion, not contraction.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:

Why will distance all of a sudden be a big factor for these players? The distance and the big time money has always been there...yet most continue to pick the NHL.

Become more irrelevant compared to what? The NHL is and was never going to touch the other major sports in the States.

A lot of people seem pretty angry and emotional...I get it. This sucks. There isn't NHL hockey right now and that blows. People are overreacting though. No idea how the NHL comes out of this one, but they did just fine last time.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Why will distance all of a sudden be a big factor for these players? The distance and the big time money has always been there...yet most continue to pick the NHL.

Become more irrelevant compared to what? The NHL is and was never going to touch the other major sports in the States.

A lot of people seem pretty angry and emotional...I get it. This sucks. There isn't NHL hockey right now and that blows. People are overreacting though. No idea how the NHL comes out of this one, but they did just fine last time.

Depends on how you look at it, I viewed the NHL as closing the gap.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012/05/why-the-nhl-is-hot-and-the-nba-is-not-again/

On May 2, the Rangers’ triple-overtime win over the Capitals in Game 3 of their second round series drew 1.9 million viewers on NBC Sports Network, the highest for a second round game on cable since 2000 – and slightly ahead of a Jazz/Spurs NBA playoff blowout on TNT. Not bad, considering that NBC Sports Network was in nearly 20 million fewer homes than TNT at the start of April.

Also this

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...be-a-genteman-rises-plus-mlb-baseball/136648/

Not the best or only measures by any means, but the NHL was working on (and relatively successful) in becoming relevant again in 2012. They very well could after this lockout. It will probably take 5+ years again to gain back respect, prestige etc. It'll be interesting to see how the money pans out.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Depends on how you look at it, I viewed the NHL as closing the gap.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012/05/why-the-nhl-is-hot-and-the-nba-is-not-again/

Also this

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...be-a-genteman-rises-plus-mlb-baseball/136648/

Not the best or only measures by any means, but the NHL was working on (and relatively successful) in becoming relevant again in 2012. They very well could after this lockout. It will probably take 5+ years again to gain back respect, prestige etc. It'll be interesting to see how the money pans out.

I mean...common. One instance? Look at the markets and that will tell you why right there.

Also, a Stanley Cup game got beat by a June MLB game...I mean, common.

The NHL isn't going to touch the MLB/NFL.

I wonder how many people watched the NBA finals vs the NHL finals...

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I mean...common. One instance? Look at the markets and that will tell you why right there.

Also, a Stanley Cup game got beat by a June MLB game...I mean, common.

The NHL isn't going to touch the MLB/NFL.

I wonder how many people watched the NBA finals vs the NHL finals...

If you believe the ratings are poor now, how would they be after a prolonged lockout?

A meeting is scheduled Tuesday. Here's to work on a deal getting done :beer:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
If you believe the ratings are poor now, how would they be after a prolonged lockout?

A meeting is scheduled Tuesday. Here's to work on a deal getting done :beer:

He never said poor, simply that the league will never approach NFL/MLB/NBA in popularity.

And odds are that they won't be all that much lower. Look at other work stoppages in history of major sports and they almost always rebound within a couple seasons if not immediately.

And LOL at Dewey thinking contraction is inevitable. It won't happen! If it was even a possibility, there wouldn't be a lockout right now, because there would be no union, the PA will never let it happen. Remember the Expos/Twins contraction in MLB? Didn't work out well for them, did it?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

What!?!?!?! they did not come out "fine" and never were fine as far as a league. wtf are you talking about. They were finally starting to get back on track and this will indeed set them back.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He never said poor, simply that the league will never approach NFL/MLB/NBA in popularity.

And odds are that they won't be all that much lower. Look at other work stoppages in history of major sports and they almost always rebound within a couple seasons if not immediately.

And LOL at Dewey thinking contraction is inevitable. It won't happen! If it was even a possibility, there wouldn't be a lockout right now, because there would be no union, the PA will never let it happen. Remember the Expos/Twins contraction in MLB? Didn't work out well for them, did it?

please stick to the fire. you are very very very very dense. expansion would be the dumbest thing for the NHL to do, but than we are talking gary bettman and the NHL so they probably will do what will make the league worse.

There needs to be a contraction or a move of teams to other cities. adding is just plain stupid.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
What!?!?!?! they did not come out "fine" and never were fine as far as a league. wtf are you talking about. They were finally starting to get back on track and this will indeed set them back.

I'm not talking about the moment or necessarily the following year. In general, since the last lockout, the NHL did fine coming out of it. They saw steady growth since that lockout. The lockout didn't kill the league.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
please stick to the fire. you are very very very very dense. expansion would be the dumbest thing for the NHL to do, but than we are talking gary bettman and the NHL so they probably will do what will make the league worse.

There needs to be a contraction or a move of teams to other cities. adding is just plain stupid.

You're very very very very dense, considering I never advocated expansion or said it needed to happen, all I'm saying is that contraction CAN'T happen, we have something called a Players Association that won't let it happen.

Now, I don't know what you can stick to since you do not understand economics of sports as a business at all and your reading comprehension is excessively poor.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not talking about the moment or necessarily the following year. In general, since the last lockout, the NHL did fine coming out of it. They saw steady growth since that lockout. The lockout didn't kill the league.

well sure it didnt kill the league but they will once again have to get creative marketing the league for the next few years...kinda like the winter classic marketing (which is overdone) but they will need to do something like that. Im to tired to think of what they could do in terms of marketing but there will have to be a lot of effort put into promoting a league that already is suffering without the lockout.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're very very very very dense, considering I never advocated expansion or said it needed to happen, all I'm saying is that contraction CAN'T happen, we have something called a Players Association that won't let it happen.

Now, I don't know what you can stick to since you do not understand economics of sports as a business at all and your reading comprehension is excessively poor.

You are CO's personality tonight. Who will you "pose" as tomorrow? dero maybe?

I understand the economics of sports pretty damn well. Its call opinions......just because you disagree doesnt mean 1) you are right 2) the other person doesnt understand economics. Get through HS, get through college, pass the bar, own multiple businesses....than come talk to me.....for now you are just a child posting on a messageboard with no clue about hockey. I suggest the fire and cubs prospects as that is the only thing you have an average intelligence for.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
You are CO's personality tonight. Who will you "pose" as tomorrow? dero maybe?

I understand the economics of sports pretty damn well. Its call opinions......just because you disagree doesnt mean 1) you are right 2) the other person doesnt understand economics. Get through HS, get through college, pass the bar, own multiple businesses....than come talk to me.....for now you are just a child posting on a messageboard with no clue about hockey. I suggest the fire and cubs prospects as that is the only thing you have an average intelligence for.

:rolleyes: You're the one putting words into people's mouths about supporting NHL expansion when all they said was that the PA wouldn't allow contraction.

But ya, I'm definitely trying to be CO by telling you that is not what I said at all. Great job pal, you have it all figured out. :rolleyes:

And for using that smiley, I must be you now, right?

Or I could go insult the NBA and rant about how they suck. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.