Here Is To The NHL Dying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
The NHL has shown how disorganized they are. How much they care more for the fans giving them money and ratings then the fans themselves. If the NHL wanted to find way to kill a generations desire to try on hockey skates and play, they would have found the winning formula in this. We are watching the death of the nhl for a while if the season is locked out. I am hoping that europe and asia begin to pick up in popularity with the lockout happening. They have a much more fun and organized way to watch great hockey. The way they put on international tournaments between teams across all countries. they even have a UEFA style tournament with all the championship teams from the different nations in europe playing against each other. They really know how to reach out and give the fans exciting things to watch. With the NHL being capped, almost all the overseas leagues are uncapped. Our locked out talent is looking at big money over there with more profitability on an international level. this is a very good possibility. hockey is not being run effectively out here. sad to say that stanley is the only thing keeping people around. But its prestige can only go so far

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
NHL not dying, worst case scenario is that the gap between NHL and MLS closes a slight amount, nothing fatal.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Nobody in the US is gonna go watch Asian or Euro leagues either.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
if they go a full season the NHL is infact dying. any work to improve the league from the last lockout are voided. making steps forward this lockout doubled the amount of steps backward. Its indeed dying.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
if they go a full season the NHL is infact dying. any work to improve the league from the last lockout are voided. making steps forward this lockout doubled the amount of steps backward. Its indeed dying.

Even then I doubt it, casual fans like myself will eventually return b/c there just aren't many viable alternatives. They know this already, so perhaps that is a part of the reason for the stubbornness.

Liked Posts:
We won't have any good hockey talent outside of the continent. Even then, the nhl will be making far less money with all the foreign stars playing in leagues on their soil. We will go from having the biggest superstars from europe and asia to collecting their junk, nfl europe or mls status, and watching better hockey off their sheets of ice. The talent is already diminishing with most players signing with the khl before this lockout ever happened. The russian talent is far less quality then it was 5 years ago. With the way our economy is taking a shit, and theirs becoming more stable, the death of the nhl as the hockey monopoly is over

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
We won't have any good hockey talent outside of the continent. Even then, the nhl will be making far less money with all the foreign stars playing in leagues on their soil. We will go from having the biggest superstars from europe and asia to collecting their junk, nfl europe or mls status, and watching better hockey off their sheets of ice. The talent is already diminishing with most players signing with the khl before this lockout ever happened. The russian talent is far less quality then it was 5 years ago. With the way our economy is taking a shit, and theirs becoming more stable, the death of the nhl as the hockey monopoly is over

The KHL contracts are voided when the lockout ends, so we haven't lost any talent.

And no foreign league is going to pass us, it simply won't happen.

LonghornBob

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is it for me. If they go another whole year, I'm done.

I stayed away for two years last time, and this time I'll be completely done. I'm sick of it. I won't watch anymore. My sweaters and jackets and hats and pucks will go on eBay, and I'll be done.

I've fucking had it with this bullshit.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The KHL contracts are voided when the lockout ends, so we haven't lost any talent.

And no foreign league is going to pass us, it simply won't happen.

what?!?! The KHL is right there. It very well could happen quite easily.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I stayed away for two years last time, and this time I'll be completely done. I'm sick of it. I won't watch anymore. My sweaters and jackets and hats and pucks will go on eBay, and I'll be done.

pretty much this.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
what?!?! The KHL is right there. It very well could happen quite easily.

:rolleyes:

The KHL's business model is even worse than ours, and they are further away from NHL talent-wise (before locked out players) than NPB is from MLB. They simply aren't as close as they are made out to be.

For example, the Wolves former backup goalie Kevin Garnett was never all that good had a better save percentage in KHL than he had ever had in Juniors, AHL or NHL in his career except his first season of Junior Hockey in which he played just 14 minutes.

Bad example and small sample size, I know.

But look at most players with NHL experience that go to the KHL, they put up equal or usually greater numbers there despite the significantly larger size of the ice that should lower scoring.

That said, while the owners love to spend there, they are still nowhere even close to being as economically healthy as the NHL (which isn't that healthy economically itself). Teams average only around 5,000 fans per game and they have no big-money-generation national/international TV deals.

Could the KHL pass us eventually? Sure, but it isn't even close yet.

In fact, the gap between NHL and KHL is almost as big as EPL and MLS, they aren't even close to being as close as you claim them to be.

In fact, prospects from Russian hockey seem to have the same attitude as American players have. American soccer prospects tend to have European ambitions, for Russian prospects it is just the opposite.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=634873

They have an awfully long way to go no matter how pessimistic you love to be about everything with the Blackhawks and the NHL.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
pretty much this.

Quitting on the Blackhawks because the owners lock out the players? Wow, well you never enjoy them when you only look at negatives anyway, so have fun with the Bulls or some other sports team I guess.

Kleats

Liked Posts:
I'm goin to the games . I love the games and I love the UC . It's gonna be fun - a little late - but fun nonetheless , as always .

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Quitting on the Blackhawks because the owners lock out the players? Wow, well you never enjoy them when you only look at negatives anyway, so have fun with the Bulls or some other sports team I guess.

I will still sleep very well with or without the NHL.

Liked Posts:
EVERY euro stadium is smaller than ours. Wimbley is the biggest stadium out there, and it is only average size at best compared to the capacities of our stadiums. My point is, the size of the event doesn't necessarily mean better talent. Every league that is at the top started on the bottom. With the great talent playing there right now, the crowds will increase. And so many teams have less than 5k fans show up to their stadium that houses a capacity of 35000. These smaller stadiums out there are selling out to 5,000 fans who will fill their 5000 person capacity. adding more seats doesn't take ticket science, just blueprints

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
EVERY euro stadium is smaller than ours. Wimbley is the biggest stadium out there, and it is only average size at best compared to the capacities of our stadiums. My point is, the size of the event doesn't necessarily mean better talent. Every league that is at the top started on the bottom. With the great talent playing there right now, the crowds will increase. And so many teams have less than 5k fans show up to their stadium that houses a capacity of 35000. These smaller stadiums out there are selling out to 5,000 fans who will fill their 5000 person capacity. adding more seats doesn't take ticket science, just blueprints

Attendance is not the only thing that drives a league, unless it is like the CFL, in which case it isn't healthy.
For the most part, since Russia's population isn't even half of the US's and it is much larger, teams still wouldn't find enough support.
NHL has international TV deals in several countries that are better than Russia's national KHL deal.

Even if they could pass us talent-wise, which they still have very very very very little chance of doing any time soon, they wouldn't be able to compete economically. Sure their owners can throw out huge deals to players, but with low revenue, it still turns out to be a losing venture. (Though many NHL teams don't profit either, this is a much more extreme case).

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Yeah, I have to agree with you. I pretty much said the same thing in another thread. I'll still watch the Hawks on TV but I wont spend another dime on them or the NHL and I absolutely wont go to another game. Heh, by the time these assholes are done jacking the prices of everything to compensate for the new agreement ...I probably couldnt afford it anyway.

I guarantee that I will not be the only one, either.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Here is the thing...who says that Rocky and the Blackhawks even agree with the lockout? I haven't heard Rocky's stance on this but it doesn't even take 1/3 of the owners to have a lockout, it is pretty ridiculous.

I will continue to watch the NHL, regardless if this lockout goes just one more day or another year. The KHL, euro leagues, AHL, etc cannot come close to the NHL all around the board (skill, coverage, etc). The NHL really isn't threatened by those leagues and that is probably why certain owners aren't afraid to go into a lockout.

This happens every single day in business. People bitch and moan about the price of tickets but forget that it is a business that Rock/Blackhawks are running. The price of absolutely everything you buy is somehow altered because of employee salaries and the owner of the store/location/etc. I have no problem with the players wanting to put themselves in the best position possible and for the owners wanting to keep the most out of the product that they have a big part of. Call it greed, but then you would probably have to call the local cashiers greedy for wanting minimum wage increased which may alter the price of bread a few cents the next time you go to the grocery store. That's small scale, while the NHL would be more big scale. Still a business and it still makes sense.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here is the thing...who says that Rocky and the Blackhawks even agree with the lockout? I haven't heard Rocky's stance on this but it doesn't even take 1/3 of the owners to have a lockout, it is pretty ridiculous.

I will continue to watch the NHL, regardless if this lockout goes just one more day or another year. The KHL, euro leagues, AHL, etc cannot come close to the NHL all around the board (skill, coverage, etc). The NHL really isn't threatened by those leagues and that is probably why certain owners aren't afraid to go into a lockout.

This happens every single day in business. People bitch and moan about the price of tickets but forget that it is a business that Rock/Blackhawks are running. The price of absolutely everything you buy is somehow altered because of employee salaries and the owner of the store/location/etc. I have no problem with the players wanting to put themselves in the best position possible and for the owners wanting to keep the most out of the product that they have a big part of. Call it greed, but then you would probably have to call the local cashiers greedy for wanting minimum wage increased which may alter the price of bread a few cents the next time you go to the grocery store. That's small scale, while the NHL would be more big scale. Still a business and it still makes sense.

LOL! :rofl:

comparing a cashier that wants a raise? wow.

you have never ran a business. :rolleyes:

Stop being a advocate for a minute.....the NHL before the lockout was a dying sport, not in intensive care but in stable condition.....this lockout puts the NHL back into ICU. "oh butz we dont knowszzz what rocky thinkszz and stuffz" who gives a fuck? it doesnt matter....its about the NHL as a whole not the hawks kid.

If you knew anything about business this actually dampers profit and bottom line figures for years due to this silly lockout for greed on the quick buck. What will happen is this lockout will make it so they will lose more money on a bigger scale for a longer period of time than if they were to have started on time. That is business, that is fact. Its more than just greed its about control, its about power.

Status
Not open for further replies.