Eagles DEF Coach dismissed

36bear

Liked Posts:
[h=1]Juan Castillo dimissed by Philadelphia Eagles[/h]

• _Rosenthal1-65x90.jpg

• By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com
  • Around The League editor
  • Published: Oct. 16, 2012 at 09:38 a.m.
  • Updated: Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:36 a.m.

Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid wasn't kidding around when he said he was going to "tear things apart."The Eagles announced Tuesday that they have dismissed defensive coordinator Juan Castillo from his duties and have named secondary coach Todd Bowles as their new defensive coordinator.Power Poll: Falcons soar to top
0ap1000000080981.jpg
The unbeaten Atlanta Falcons surged to the top of the latest Power Poll, but who's No. 2 -- and how did the Giants' win over the49ers alter the rankings? More...

"I want to make it clear that I have nothing but the ultimate respect for Juan Castillo as a coach and as a person," Reid said in a statement released by the team. "He's one of the finest football coaches that I have ever worked with. He has served this organization extremely well for 18 years and letting him go was a difficult decision. I know he will continue to be a successful coach in this league and wish he and his family nothing but the best."We're six games into the season and average isn't good enough. I know the potential of our team and insist on maximizing it."It's a remarkable move because Castillo's defense has been better than Reid's offense. The Eagleshave given up 20.8 points per game this season, good for 13th in the NFL. Reid's offense is 31st in points and 31st in turnovers. Philadelphia's loss Sunday to the Detroit Lions was followed by some mildly critical comments from cornerback Nnamdi Asmoguha, in which he accused Castillo of abandoning the team's coverage scheme and relying on blitz packages during the Lions' fourth-quarter comeback.

Relive every game this season online and on-demand with enhanced viewing features, including the "All-22" coaches film. Get NFL Game Rewind.

Reid defended Castillo's schemes at his press conference Monday, and then fired his long-time friend. The Eagles' defense has a ton of talent and perhaps slightly has underachieved, but we don't think Reid would make this change unless he had such a promising option in Bowles.The interim head coach in Miami last year, Bowles has long been seen as one of the rising defensive minds in the NFL. Reid knows he has to make the playoffs this year or he'll lose his job, so there's no time for loyalty heading into a bye week.It's every man for himself in Philadelphia. Playoffs or bust. The pressure has already claimed its first victim.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You can post urls here ;)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
All those turnovers that VIck and crew do each and every week is all on the Defense.

bbaker

Liked Posts:
About damn time. Ever since Jim Johnson passed away the Eagles haven't been the same on defense. McDermott was a joke & then hiring your O-Line coach (who had never coached defense in his life) to be your DC was 1 of the stupidest things I have ever heard/seen.

Reid is next. Vick's contract allows Philly to cut him the 2nd day after the Super Bowl w/o any future $$ punishment, so he'll probably be gone unless he can turn it around.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Holmgren us out in Cleveland now with the new owner.. Not likely to see then go Holmgren lite in Ried.. Expect another dumb philosophical switch that puts then back 3 more years.

Sent from Neverwhere using Taptalk