Official: Offseason Around MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thought this should be created. All offseason news around MLB here...Trades, signings,etc....

Marlins Trade Heath Bell to D-Backs. D-Backs will pay $13 of $21 million still owed to Bell.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The World Series hasn't happened yet! It's not the offseason! :hitler:

But I'll sticky this anyway :D

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Cubs off-season started in April.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
News out of Boston:

The Red Sox have hired John Farrell to be their next manager, according to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com (via Twitter). There's no word yet on what the Blue Jays will receive as compensation for allowing their manager to leave for Boston. An official announcement is expected shortly.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I am sure it will be someone significant since that clearly is the precedent.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I am sure it will be someone significant since that clearly is the precedent.

Thanks a lot, Ozzie! The Blue Jays are going to ask for an arm and a leg now :lol:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Update:

The Red Sox have hired John Farrell to be their next manager, according to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com (via Twitter). The compensation package going to the Blue Jays will be announced in the next couple of days, but the deal has been finalized, tweets Alex Speier of WEEI.com. Speier adds that Farrell's contract will extend through 2015, giving him two more years under contract than he had with the Blue Jays.

In the trade, there will be a player going in each direction, a source tells Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter). Furthermore, the player going from the Red Sox to the Blue Jays was a major leaguer in 2012, Morosi tweets.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Daniel Bard makes some sense as the guy going to the Jays.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
And of course I post that and Morosi is saying that it is infielder and not Middlebrooks. Iglesias might be the guy.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
And of course I post that and Morosi is saying that it is infielder and not Middlebrooks. Iglesias might be the guy.

He can be their hero, baby.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
And it turns out that the Jays are going to get Mike Aviles and give up a prospect better than Chris Carpenter to the Red Sox. So just for those keeping score at home, in Boston a guy going for a promotion is suppose to net significant compensation but a guy making a lateral move isn't worth a crappy veteran middle infielder bench player straight up.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Better than the Ozzie trade? :shifty:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bleacher Nation linked to an article suggesting that the Cubs have to send nothing as compensation for Hoyer and McLeod.

[video=youtube;Dx_UJxuQGXo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx_UJxuQGXo[/video]

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Update:

SUNDAY, 1:04pm: The Blue Jays have confirmed the Carpenter-for-Aviles trade and the release of Farrell from his contract in a press release.

12:36pm: The Red Sox will receive right-hander David Carpenter from the Blue Jays, multiple industry sources tell Alex Speier and Rob Bradford of WEEI.com. This marks the second time that the 27-year-old has been traded this year as he went from the Astros to Toronto in a ten-player deal this summer. Carpenter appeared in 33 games for the two clubs last season, posting a 8.07 ERA with 8.6 K/9 and 4.5 BB/9. He also had a 3.08 ERA with 8.5 K/9 and 2.4 BB/9 in 23 Triple-A appearances.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I could see this as a buy low opportunity that the Cubs are definitely looking for. Definitely would have the payroll flexibility to add someone like Lincecum.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I could see this as a buy low opportunity that the Cubs are definitely looking for. Definitely would have the payroll flexibility to add someone like Lincecum.

This might be extreme but I was thinking they just tell the Giants they want to pick up the entire portion of Lincecum's remainder-of-contract without having to surrender any prospects in return. Or at least pay most of it and only give back a lame pitching prospect like Lendy Castillo. I'm mostly looking for ways to just buy pitching without having to sacrifice whatever depth the Cubs have.

Status
Not open for further replies.