#93 Nate Collins/#91 Amobi Okoye

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
Collins was active in place of Okoye yesterday, with the Bears possibly thinking CAR would run more (per Biggs). Collins made some plays out there (3 tackles). Anybody else impressed by him yesterday? Maybe it was just seeing #93 for the first time, having not seen him yet this year.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
He did okay, I was looking for a stronger pass rush but I suppose it all worked out in the end.

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
I saw Collins show up on a few plays yesterday and I know some CBMB posters were impressed with him during training camp. I think right now he's just 'quality depth' and not going to be in regular rotation, but I might be under-rating him.

I read some vague report about Okoye being dinged up, so I think that's why Collins got the start.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I was one of the people praising his pre season. I thought he played decent yesterday. Nice rotational player.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I saw Collins show up on a few plays yesterday and I know some CBMB posters were impressed with him during training camp. I think right now he's just 'quality depth' and not going to be in regular rotation, but I might be under-rating him.

I read some vague report about Okoye being dinged up, so I think that's why Collins got the start.

Okoye is out with general soreness aka death

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
gonna spam this story here too, since it seems appropriate...

Rewarding DT Collins pays off for Bears
By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- The Chicago Bears' decision to activate defensive tackle Nate Collins for the first time this season proved to be a wise one on Sunday in a victory over the Carolina Panthers.

Collins made the 53-man roster after he stood out in training camp and in the preseason but had been inactive or unavailable for every game this year up until Sunday. Collins was suspended for Week 1 for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy on the offseason.

Collins made an immediate impact in the middle of the defensive line as he registered three tackles in 35 snaps against the Panthers.

Bears coach Lovie Smith said Collins earned his playing time on the practice field where the defensive tackle's effort never waned despite not dressing on game days.

"Each week we normally dress seven defensive linemen. We have 10 on the roster so three aren't dressing," Smith said. "I just think if you practice well, as Nate Collins has been doing ... giving us a great look, and we think he's a pretty good player. He just hasn't had an opportunity to play. Amobi Okoye has been doing some good things. Not his best work the last couple weeks, so it was as simple as that. Nate had a better week of practice and deserved an opportunity to get that uniform, and he did some good things in the game."

Jay Cutler

#CuttyDoesIt
Liked Posts:
At first, I was puzzled as to who #93 was. Looked him up and was like "Oh yeah, duh..." I forgot all about the guy, but I remember him being signed. I thought he gave us solid depth at the DT position. We have such a solid rotation, is any other team this deep at the DT position?

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Lovie quote from interview with Larry Mayer...

"A guy who really played well was Nate Collins. He stepped up. It was the first time he was active. He rushed the passer well and played the run. He was an anchor in there for us. I was really pleased with what he was able to do after not playing an awful lot before then."

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I was happy to see Collins get some playing time. Guy looked good in PS, so I'm glad that translated well to the regular season. Not too impressed with Okoye really.

And BTW, Melton has slowed down... ugh.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was happy to see Collins get some playing time. Guy looked good in PS, so I'm glad that translated well to the regular season. Not too impressed with Okoye really.

And BTW, Melton has slowed down... ugh.

Yep, agreed about Okoye and yep about Melton :(

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Melton has NOT slowed down.. And I thought he definitely would. Don't let the no sacks fool you on that.

I think pro football focus had him as one of the best ranked defender in the league last week. He still has been getting good up front pressure and hurting plays consistently a lot more than,last year.

Okoye arrived back because he has the bad knee. So he won't be as good as last year but gladly Collins can fill in. what's funny before the preseason the DT depth looked scary but Collins looked good.

Sent from Neverwhere using Taptalk

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Melton gets doubled a lot. That could make it look like he's slowing.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because he hasn't unless you are judging simply by the sack numbers.

He's not getting the pressure he was earlier in the season. I think the sack alone is the single most overrated stat there is.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
He's not getting the pressure he was earlier in the season. I think the sack alone is the single most overrated stat there is.

He isn't because, as mentioned above, he is getting doubled much more.. The centers are leaning to aid vs him more than before.

He still is getting good pressure and doing so with some of those matched. He isn't slowing down as in playing worse. He doesn't look so visually nor would objective player graders rate him so high the last game if he was worse.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He isn't because, as mentioned above, he is getting doubled much more.. The centers are leaning to aid vs him more than before.

He still is getting good pressure and doing so with some of those matched. He isn't slowing down as in playing worse. He doesn't look so visually nor would objective player graders rate him so high the last game if he was worse.

He's not playing @ the same level in my opinion, that's all. You disagree and ole disagrees, great! Go Bears!

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
He's not playing @ the same level in my opinion, that's all. You disagree and ole disagree, great! Go Bears!

And so do objective guys grading the performances.

I don't care about random opinions, I care about what's more likely and demonstrably true.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And so do objective guys grading the performances.

I don't care about random opinions, I care about what's more likely and demonstrably true.

right on then ... Any chance you let us see theses rankings too?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins