Richard Dent blames Mike Ditka for not winning another Superbowl

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mike Ditka refused to engage in a war of words with Hall of Fame defensive Richard Dent, who said Wednesday that Ditka was the reason the 1985 Chicago Bears didn't repeat as Super Bowl champions.

Bringing Doug Flutie in and thinking that he's gonna come in and be on a team for three weeks and start him in a playoff game? Hell, I mean you're trying to change the name on the Super Bowl trophy to Mike Ditka (from) Vince Lombardi when you do something like that.

-- Former Bears defensive end Richard Dent on the team not repeating as Super Bowl champions in 1986
After winning Super Bowl XX to cap a 15-1 season with one of the greatest defenses of all time, the Bears looked poised to challenge for another one in '86. But a late hit by Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Charles Martin ended Jim McMahon's season in Week 12 with the Bears at 10-2.

The Bears finished the regular season 14-2, but after having Mike Tomczak and Steve Fuller back up McMahon during the regular season, Ditka turned to Doug Flutie in the playoffs. Flutie went 11 of 31 for 134 yards with a touchdown and two interceptions in a playoff loss to the Washington Redskins.

"More than anything, Mike didn't manage that quarterback position," Dent said on WSCR-670 (AM). "Bringing Doug Flutie in and thinking that he's gonna come in and be on a team for three weeks and start him in a playoff game? Hell, I mean you're trying to change the name on the Super Bowl trophy to Mike Ditka (from) Vince Lombardi when you do something like that.

"We had won with Tomczak and Fuller. That's all we needed to do is stay with that plan. Then you bring a guy off the street."

Ditka said the accusation from Dent was nothing new.

"He's done it many times," Ditka told ESPNChicago.com's Melissa Isaacson. "I have no idea (why he's doing it again now).

"I think lot of times you gotta consider the source. I never get too upset about it. It doesn't bother me. I don't know what it is, I really don't. It's been 28 years ago that we won it and I could care less."

Later on "The Carmen, Jurko & Harry Show" on ESPN 1000, Ditka reminisced about that team, the last Bears team to win a Super Bowl. The roster featured several of Hall of Famers, including Walter Payton, Dan Hampton, Mike Singletary and Dent.

"I thought we did a lot of good things," Ditka said. "We probably screwed up some things we could have done better. But I don't know if that was one of them.

"People are entitled to believe what they want to believe."

Ditka defended his decision to start Flutie.

"Could we have won more? Of course, we could have, but we didn't," he said. " I thought the move to get Flutie -- I don't care what the results were -- was a great move. Doug Flutie was a winner. He was a winner his whole career. He was a tough guy, he played good. ... At the moment we made those decisions, we thought they were the right decisions."

Dent thought that Bears team could have won multiple Super Bowls.

"And we came back three years in a row and had home-field advantage," Dent said. "Our coach couldn't figure out the right quarterback to play. The disappointing part to me is that we only got one out of it. We should have been the first team ever to win three Super Bowls in a row. It was there for the taking, but we didn't manage that one position right."

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Ditka was an idiot and still is an idiot. He has never game planned an offense or defense in his life. It was his distraction with making outside income from endorsements that contributed to the problem. Great coaches Like Walsh, Parcels and Gibbs owned him.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Ditka was an idiot and still is an idiot. He has never game planned an offense or defense in his life. It was his distraction with making outside income from endorsements that contributed to the problem. Great coaches Like Walsh, Parcels and Gibbs owned him.
^^^^^^^^^^
Blashphemy

Poppasmurf

Liked Posts:

Water is also wet.

Space Invader

Dorkchop
Liked Posts:
Ditka caught lightning in a bottle. With Ryan and Hughes, he managed to get a ring. Ditka's only downfall was that he wanted too much control.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
Dents right. Ditka was a great personality for the bears but not a great head coach.. Case in point trading everything for Ricky Williams

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Bears would have won at least 4 Super Bowls had they drafted Dan Marino in 1983.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
I think McMahon being injured a lot didn't help either.

MaoTenDoo

Rabid Homer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ditka was an idiot and still is an idiot. He has never game planned an offense or defense in his life.

DonaldSutherland.jpg

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dent is blaming Ditka when it was the players that gave up on Flutie. They looked disinterested that game.

Trailing 14-13 in the 4th quarter, the Bears good fortune ran out, when the usually dependable Payton lost a fumble, which led to an 83-yard touchdown drive by the Redskins. The long drive perpetrated against the NFL's best defense seemed to take the wind out of the Bears' sails. A few minutes later, the Bears muffed a punt return which set up an easy field goal for the Redskins. The Bears lost 27-13.

So we're in the redzone and Payton fumbles and then lose an opportunity to tie. Ya, that was all Ditka's and Flutie's fault. Yes, Flutie wasn't great that day but does anybody think that either of out other QBs would have been. We needed the D and ST to win that game for us as we always did without McMahon. Wasn't happenening.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Funny,

I thought the Bears' defense knicknamed Tomczak "lotto", right? You'd pick your numbers based on the opposing team's jerseys that he'd throw it to.

I remember seeing that folks also undercut Flutie because they didn't want him here as well.

Anyway, there is enough blame to go around, including not getting a viable backup to a QB that was injured a lot.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dent is blaming Ditka when it was the players that gave up on Flutie. They looked disinterested that game.

This too.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Defense and special teams needed to win.....no viable backup.....what year are we talking about again?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
85 Bears and 99 rams..... 2 teams that were run in to the ground despite an embarrassment of talent all over the field.
both of those teams should have been multi year champs.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Funny,

I thought the Bears' defense knicknamed Tomczak "lotto", right? You'd pick your numbers based on the opposing team's jerseys that he'd throw it to.

I remember seeing that folks also undercut Flutie because they didn't want him here as well.

Anyway, there is enough blame to go around, including not getting a viable backup to a QB that was injured a lot.

Had to do with the pick 4 game.

JJMPB

Liked Posts:
its 2012 lets stop living in the past

OmiyalePants

More pink bars means
Liked Posts:
"I think lot of times you gotta consider the source. I never get too upset about it. It doesn't bother me. I don't know what it is, I really don't. It's been 28 years ago that we won it and I could care less."

Oh, so I guess he does still care.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dent seems a lot smarter than Ditka. I've always blamed Ditka for not having a longer successful run with all that extreme talent.