Offense trying to figure out slow starts

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
By Michael C. Wright | ESPNChicago.com

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Jay Cutler totally understands the team's current style of offense is unsustainable if the Chicago Bears hope to advance far into the postseason.

Jay Cutler's Bears offense have scored just 30 points in the first quarter through seven games this season.
The problem, though, is there's really no bona fide solution to cure the club's slow starts on offense.

"We could be playing this type of ball in December, I don't know. I can't tell the future," Cutler said. "All I know is offensively we're going to try to get better. I'm going to try to get better each week and each day. I know the guys that we have in that room are going to try to get better. I believe in our coaches and the system we have. They're going to do the best possible job they can to put us in situations to be successful."

So far, it hasn't worked on a consistent basis. Through the first seven games, the offense continues to struggle early, with the team scoring a total of 30 points in the first quarter, compared to 81 in the fourth. The Bears entered their victory over Carolina on Sunday ranked last in average yardage (4.1) on first downs, which serves as one component of the team's problems thus far.

Cutler admitted the Bears probably "see more second-and-10's than anybody else in the league, second-and-8-plus" which typically snowballs into a dilemma on third down. Cutler said "if you call a run and don't get five-plus" in those second-and-long situations "you're sitting in third-and-long, and if you pass and it's incomplete, then you're at third-and-10."

That only exacerbates the struggles, putting the team in predictable passing situations. When the Bears face third downs with 5 yards or fewer to gain for a first down, they've converted 20 of 33 (60.6 percent conversion rate). Push that distance from third-and-6 to 10-plus yards needed for the first down, and the conversion rate falls to 29 percent.

"Facing some better teams down the stretch, we're going to have to get better at it," Cutler said.

Teammate Brandon Marshall admitted to not knowing what the offense's problem has been early in games this season, adding that "what I do know is that we're close. I know we're working hard to get where we want to be."

It all starts with the quarterback. Cutler's passer rating in the first quarter is 29.5 with the quarterback completing 25 of 53 for 169 yards, one touchdown and four interceptions. In addition, he's been sacked eight times in the first quarter.

In the fourth quarter, Cutler's passer rating dramatically improves to an NFL-best 132.0, garnering praise from Marshall, who has suggested nicknames such as "The Closer" and "Ace" for the quarterback.

"Jay is one of those guys where he has that clutch gene," Marshall said. "You hear guys talking about it. Some believe it, some don't. But Jay has it."

Does he really, though? The Bears held leads going into the fourth quarter in five of the club's seven games, winning by an average score of close to 15-9 heading into the final 15 minutes. Teams at a disadvantage in the final quarter typically don't key in on the pass because the winning squad is usually trying to run down the clock with the rushing attack.

In addition, trailing fourth-quarter teams usually play more aggressive schemes in an attempt to regain possession for their offenses. That's why Cutler isn't putting too much stock in his fourth-quarter performances this season, although it's important to note he lit up the Panthers on Sunday for 106 yards and a touchdown on 12-of-14 passing with his team trailing in the fourth quarter.

In the two games Chicago trailed going into the fourth quarter, Cutler completed 16 of 23 for two TDs and two INTs (82.1 passer rating) as the Bears claimed victory in one of those contests.

"(Our) defense is putting us in positions where we're leading games and defenses are trying to get the ball back," Cutler said. (So we're seeing) a lot of single-high (safety looks), which makes it a lot easier on the outside throwing the ball. We've hit some big plays out there. The way our defense is playing and carrying leads into the fourth quarter makes my job easier."

Through the normal flow of a game, Cutler and the offensive staff also seems to be figuring out the opposing defense. But the Bears can't afford to waste time getting dialed in on offense, especially given the upcoming schedule that includes the Tennessee Titans on Sunday followed by back-to-back outings against the Houston Texans and San Francisco 49ers.

The Bears follow up those games with two more strong opponents in the Minnesota Vikings and Seattle Seahawks, and the team knows slow starts on offense can put stress on the vaunted defense, even though that hasn't yet happened.

"I think this team, we've talked about it being a young offense, and now we're kind of coming together. It takes a little bit longer to make adjustments in games and get everything straightened out. It goes along with first down and having successful plays on first down," Cutler said. "We've got to get better early on in the first half, and that counts for the first parts of drives too, first down, and second down. We're not going to make a living coming back in the fourth quarter and trying to convert third-and-longs."

Rodneyr38

Liked Posts:
By Michael C. Wright | ESPNChicago.com

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Jay Cutler totally understands the team's current style of offense is unsustainable if the Chicago Bears hope to advance far into the postseason.

Jay Cutler's Bears offense have scored just 30 points in the first quarter through seven games this season.
The problem, though, is there's really no bona fide solution to cure the club's slow starts on offense.

"We could be playing this type of ball in December, I don't know. I can't tell the future," Cutler said. "All I know is offensively we're going to try to get better. I'm going to try to get better each week and each day. I know the guys that we have in that room are going to try to get better. I believe in our coaches and the system we have. They're going to do the best possible job they can to put us in situations to be successful."

So far, it hasn't worked on a consistent basis. Through the first seven games, the offense continues to struggle early, with the team scoring a total of 30 points in the first quarter, compared to 81 in the fourth. The Bears entered their victory over Carolina on Sunday ranked last in average yardage (4.1) on first downs, which serves as one component of the team's problems thus far.

Cutler admitted the Bears probably "see more second-and-10's than anybody else in the league, second-and-8-plus" which typically snowballs into a dilemma on third down. Cutler said "if you call a run and don't get five-plus" in those second-and-long situations "you're sitting in third-and-long, and if you pass and it's incomplete, then you're at third-and-10."

That only exacerbates the struggles, putting the team in predictable passing situations. When the Bears face third downs with 5 yards or fewer to gain for a first down, they've converted 20 of 33 (60.6 percent conversion rate). Push that distance from third-and-6 to 10-plus yards needed for the first down, and the conversion rate falls to 29 percent.

"Facing some better teams down the stretch, we're going to have to get better at it," Cutler said.

Teammate Brandon Marshall admitted to not knowing what the offense's problem has been early in games this season, adding that "what I do know is that we're close. I know we're working hard to get where we want to be."

It all starts with the quarterback. Cutler's passer rating in the first quarter is 29.5 with the quarterback completing 25 of 53 for 169 yards, one touchdown and four interceptions. In addition, he's been sacked eight times in the first quarter.

In the fourth quarter, Cutler's passer rating dramatically improves to an NFL-best 132.0, garnering praise from Marshall, who has suggested nicknames such as "The Closer" and "Ace" for the quarterback.

"Jay is one of those guys where he has that clutch gene," Marshall said. "You hear guys talking about it. Some believe it, some don't. But Jay has it."

Does he really, though? The Bears held leads going into the fourth quarter in five of the club's seven games, winning by an average score of close to 15-9 heading into the final 15 minutes. Teams at a disadvantage in the final quarter typically don't key in on the pass because the winning squad is usually trying to run down the clock with the rushing attack.

In addition, trailing fourth-quarter teams usually play more aggressive schemes in an attempt to regain possession for their offenses. That's why Cutler isn't putting too much stock in his fourth-quarter performances this season, although it's important to note he lit up the Panthers on Sunday for 106 yards and a touchdown on 12-of-14 passing with his team trailing in the fourth quarter.

In the two games Chicago trailed going into the fourth quarter, Cutler completed 16 of 23 for two TDs and two INTs (82.1 passer rating) as the Bears claimed victory in one of those contests.

"(Our) defense is putting us in positions where we're leading games and defenses are trying to get the ball back," Cutler said. (So we're seeing) a lot of single-high (safety looks), which makes it a lot easier on the outside throwing the ball. We've hit some big plays out there. The way our defense is playing and carrying leads into the fourth quarter makes my job easier."

Through the normal flow of a game, Cutler and the offensive staff also seems to be figuring out the opposing defense. But the Bears can't afford to waste time getting dialed in on offense, especially given the upcoming schedule that includes the Tennessee Titans on Sunday followed by back-to-back outings against the Houston Texans and San Francisco 49ers.

The Bears follow up those games with two more strong opponents in the Minnesota Vikings and Seattle Seahawks, and the team knows slow starts on offense can put stress on the vaunted defense, even though that hasn't yet happened.

"I think this team, we've talked about it being a young offense, and now we're kind of coming together. It takes a little bit longer to make adjustments in games and get everything straightened out. It goes along with first down and having successful plays on first down," Cutler said. "We've got to get better early on in the first half, and that counts for the first parts of drives too, first down, and second down. We're not going to make a living coming back in the fourth quarter and trying to convert third-and-longs."
Sometimes the RB needs to pick up 3-4 yards instead of trying to hit a homerun and bounce everything to the outside to stay out of those 2nd and 9's

Space Invader

Dorkchop
Liked Posts:
C'mon man....and that's all.If you need an explanation, you're truly lost.

The offense is off to a slow because the plays come from 2 coaches.
The line has regressed.
There is no real #2 WR healthy at the moment.
Our QB has made some bad decisions.
Point set match.

Kleats

Liked Posts:
If I remember correctly , the one game where were tried passing alot early was against GB . And what happened ? We got our asses handed to us . Tice took alot of flack for not running the ball and getting Matthews blocked . Since then we are 5-0 playing this style of O . It wears opponents down and they've made just enough plays ( at the right times ) to eek out some wins .

I'll say this though . A potent O , that doesn't give games away w turnovers ( as has happened so far ) can beat the Bears , cuz the time will come when the D isn't able to hold the game in check . It's going to happen at some point during the regular season ..... and it'll definitely happen in the playoffs .

This O has to get better earlier in games ( and sort of coasting because of the defense ) or it's gonna come back to bite this team ( cuz it's what they're used to ). . They gotta " get used to " playing harder and putting up more points earlier in games . jmo

schizm032003

Liked Posts:
Since jay & the offense seems so comfortable in the no huddle, why not do that early in games. It could get jay into a rhythm with quick strike passes, & get opposing defenses on their heel right away.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
C'mon man....and that's all.If you need an explanation, you're truly lost.

The offense is off to a slow because the plays come from 2 coaches.
The line has regressed.
There is no real #2 WR healthy at the moment.
Our QB has made some bad decisions.
Point set match.

I disagree with some of that...

The truth is we dont run the ball enough with Michael Bush... he was brought here to get us yards and damage defenses... he hasnt been allowed to do his job... Matt Forte is a big play back.. not a up the middle guy at all... 2nd and 8 is way better than 2nd and 10... as stated above... Bush almost guarantees you those first 2 yards...

having a #2 is really important... catching the ball is more important... Our TE's and Devin Hester have failed to catch the ball to move the chains on a consistant basis... We need more than just Marshall and Bennett... Jeffery being injured hurts this team a ton... the team knows it and they are letting it have an effect on them...

Jay made alot of bad decisions in the Green Bay game... other than that he has been pretty solid...

This team needs to run the ball with Bush more... and get the ball to earl bennett on earlier downs... thats what will keep the chains moving... when jay isnt playing catch with Marshall... at least until Alshon Jeffery comes back...

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
What ever happened to Tice calling short pass plays to help both the offensive line and to help put more points on the board. Just stay consistent with the run game, and throw short routes to Marshall/Jeffery and let them work to get yards after catch.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
What ever happened to Tice calling short pass plays to help both the offensive line and to help put more points on the board. Just stay consistent with the run game, and throw short routes to Marshall/Jeffery and let them work to get yards after catch.

Isnt that the reason we have these guys? I like going deep as much as anyone... but Bennett and Marshall for the time being should be your guys underneath... if you are going to take a shot long... let it be to devin hester... we waste too many plays forcing the ball down the field to Marshall...

Patatoe

Liked Posts:
So, if most of the posters on this site have better ideas for how the offense should be run; play action, short passes, utilizing Bush etc., you would think the coaches would see this right? Maybe the coaching staff is trying to bait teams that are in the tougher part of our schedule into believing that is how our offense will consistently be.

Once we get to the tougher games, I think our style will change, and opposing defenses won't have enough "game film" to prepare for. Why should we wear Forte and Bush out early in the season, when hopefully we have home field advantage for the playoffs, where a running game in Chicago's winter would be more effective?

Obviously being 6-1 we are doing enough to win now. Our offense could be more potent if there weren't so many drive killing plays like sacks, penalties, drops. I think this boils down to more of player execution and less play calling.

Food for thought.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Here's an idea: don't run a goddamn play-action pass (sack) every fucking first play. It's kind of not a surprise.

Was after they stopped doing it awhile and the play gained 5 yards. A plus.

Sent from Neverwhere using Taptalk

brundleflyguy

Liked Posts:
I think the entire thing is a evil genius plan by Tice to lull the good teams later in the schedule into complacency. When he actually plays the good teams, he will use a super awesome offense he and Bates have cooked up, take them by surprise and put up over 100 points a game. It'll be awesome.

Patatoe

Liked Posts:
I think the entire thing is a evil genius plan by Tice to lull the good teams later in the schedule into complacency. When he actually plays the good teams, he will use a super awesome offense he and Bates have cooked up, take them by surprise and put up over 100 points a game. It'll be awesome.

Pretty much what I said a few posts up.