The texan game might not be as competitive as it looks.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Where in my post did i say explosive?And no Jay doesn't suck reading the blitz. You can't rely on the run every single down. If we do thatb we might as well be the Vikings and 49ers; one dimensional

He does struggle to identify the blitz and hot reads, he looks @ BM and pretty much BM only. I think spreading it out is a bad plan against Houston, sorry. My explosive comment was a "general" comment and not directed @ you in any way.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't see how he struggles reading the blitz when he has auddible in and out of plays this year reading it and Marshall is his number 1 WR, why wouldn't he look his way first? Earl and Devin got catches today it's justmarshall is better

Akuma2000

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Quick passes will neutralize the blitz the Texans will bring and open up everything else including the playaction pass, as long as Cutler don't turn the ball over the Bears will be ok.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see how he struggles reading the blitz when he has auddible in and out of plays this year reading it and Marshall is his number 1 WR, why wouldn't he look his way first? Earl and Devin got catches today it's justmarshall is better

That's fine, just have 2 WR's out there then. Extra protection and better blocking. I'm just not really liking this team in the spread so far this year. We've got some real D's coming up, so they better figure it out, cause it might get ugly!

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
It all seems so easy til they play the game. Texans defense is just as capable of doing to the Bears offense what the Packers did.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That's fine, just have 2 WR's out there then. Extra protection and better blocking. I'm just not really liking this team in the spread so far this year. We've got some real D's coming up, so they better figure it out, cause it might get ugly!

My whole thing with extra blocking is that it really isn't working. Did you see the playaction play with maxprotection this game? Cutler got sacked as soon as the fake happened. Like Akuma said quick passes neutralize the blitz which the Bears will see all day

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My whole thing with extra blocking is that it really isn't working. Did you see the playaction play with maxprotection this game? Cutler got sacked as soon as the fake happened. Like Akuma said quick passes neutralize the blitz which the Bears will see all day

But why don't they do that then?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
But why don't they do that then?

Ask Tice. Earlier before the season even began they said they were going with quick passes but they didn't

BrudderBear

Mr House,Mojave Wasteland
Donator
Liked Posts:
They have no one who can cover Marshall.

Jonathan Joseph is pretty good... Also we'll have a hard time getting the ball to him if JJ Watt and company are in Cutler's face..

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jonathan Joseph is pretty good... Also we'll have a hard time getting the ball to him if JJ Watt and company are in Cutler's face..

It doesnt have to be that way. You can wear down and frustrate DLmen and blitzers with quick, short passes. Montana made a career out of doing that. I have no idea why Tice continues to throw upfield when his line won't hold off the rush long enough to do it. You can throw deep but not until you give the defense something else to worry about and that means dink n dunk, run the ball and then pick your spots to air it out. You'll also see a lot more 2nd and 6s or 3rd and 4s instead of trying to dig out of long down and distances all day.

wittman

Walter's biggest fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yep Pride, that's not his problem. At times he struggles seeing the field/reads but who wouldn't getting hit and hassled like he does. I love the kid and his attitude, I wish he would be able to settle down (with the help of the line) and just play. He ends up holding on to the ball too long and missing reads, sucks. I know he'd be so much further along in the same system for more than 2 years in a row and some consistence with his wrs, but we don't have that luxury.

Getting Alshon back will help a ton, he trusted him nearly as much as Marshall. That's huge. He started looking for Bennett again that's very important too. It should come to together better in the 2nd half of the season imo, but the next 2 weeks are going to be tough. Just keep running the ball, be creative with the formations, add in a few more screens and play action the defense should hold them in there close the next few weeks. 4th quarter of the season they should be rolling decent with the running game still cruising.

On a side note, they will need to take the top off some vs. HOU. They struggle on the backend. They can do this with roll outs and even in the pocket at times with play action if they can get Forte on the edges again. Hard to go between the tackles vs. HOU.

Regardless it will be a good game and good experience for the young guys preparing for playoffs.

wittman

Walter's biggest fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can't disagree. Early on pound the ball off the edges and basically a WCO passing game. But they should and will go over the top here and there later on. Problem is it sometimes takes till the 2nd half for them to get rolling. I liked how Forte has been getting some room early. Hopfully all phases can get in gear sooner.

btw lot's of teams with good defenses struggle early on offense. Reason being they don't want to make mistakes especially if they don't have to. So they scale everything back making it tough to get in a rythm and make easy first downs, 10 yards here, 16 yards there... It's a lot of 2nd/7s and 3rd/4s, and with no rythm hard to go 80 yards that way. Case in point last week. NO reason at all to take any risks early while the defense dismantled TEN every possession, play by play.

It doesnt have to be that way. You can wear down and frustrate DLmen and blitzers with quick, short passes. Montana made a career out of doing that. I have no idea why Tice continues to throw upfield when his line won't hold off the rush long enough to do it. You can throw deep but not until you give the defense something else to worry about and that means dink n dunk, run the ball and then pick your spots to air it out. You'll also see a lot more 2nd and 6s or 3rd and 4s instead of trying to dig out of long down and distances all day.

smartestbearfan

Just a Member
Liked Posts:
Can't disagree. Early on pound the ball off the edges and basically a WCO passing game. But they should and will go over the top here and there later on. Problem is it sometimes takes till the 2nd half for them to get rolling. I liked how Forte has been getting some room early. Hopfully all phases can get in gear sooner.

btw lot's of teams with good defenses struggle early on offense. Reason being they don't want to make mistakes especially if they don't have to. So they scale everything back making it tough to get in a rythm and make easy first downs, 10 yards here, 16 yards there... It's a lot of 2nd/7s and 3rd/4s, and with no rythm hard to go 80 yards that way. Case in point last week. NO reason at all to take any risks early while the defense dismantled TEN every possession, play by play.

The defense after 8 years of refinement with many critical players intact and now 90-95% healthy (Url, Peanut, Briggs, Peppers) great add-ons that have been with us a few years , Jennings. And where did this solid safety combo show up all of sudden (they have been the key along with our def line) to shut the middle down as they have.

And the the youth on the line (Melton, Paea, Wootton, Shea) and steady Israel.

The defense was ready to explode if everyone was healthy and focused. And they are.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Andre Johnson will not get the ball punched out like others, but it won't matter much. Tillman has enough skill to guard him. I'm more concerned about Owen Daniels. Hopefully Roach continues to play well.

As far as offense. They need to utilize Forte more. They have to use quick passes and shorter routes to slow down the blitz. I've noticed that Wade doesn't adjust well (at least he hasn't so far), so if the blitz is beaten he will continue to blitz and play man. I don't think anyone on the Texans can guard Marshall 1v1.

So again, quick passes, get the ball to Forte out of the backfield, get the ball to Marshall. Phillips will not adjust.

BrudderBear

Mr House,Mojave Wasteland
Donator
Liked Posts:
It doesnt have to be that way. You can wear down and frustrate DLmen and blitzers with quick, short passes. Montana made a career out of doing that.

Too bad Tice wont do that

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hopefully Cutler shows up sober for this one.

They have tried screens to Forte....The defenses for whatever reason have done a great job in smelling them out.

Love Da Bears

Liked Posts:
that's a recipe for disater, imo.

Remember, that's what a Phillips led Dallas team did to the Bears in 2010. They were blitzing like mad and Cutler was getting destroyed, until this little play happened and completely changed the game.

[video]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81aa4b5c/Bears-Olsen-scores-on-39-yard-catch-and-run[/video]

Similar game planning should be a good remedy to their blitzing. Also, Forte needs to run like mad. If you continuously run at JJ Watt, that will keep him humble. Going to be a great game.