Chicago Bears Re-Sign QB Josh McCown As Insurance

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nov 13th, 2012 at 1:02 am by Josh Hill

The Chicago Bears suffered two losses on Sunday night: one was obviously the game, but the other was quarterback Jay Cutler who suffered a concussion at he end of the first half. Love him or hate him, Cutler helps keep whatever sort of an offense the Bears have together, and although he gets blasted for being overrated (and a wee bit of a douchebag), he’s not the worst option the Bears can put put there under center.
Chicago fans are set to learn just how much they need Jay Cutler as the Bears move forward next week in a matchup against the San Francisco 49ers. It will be touted as a matchup of two of the best defenses in the NFL, but the subplot to it all will be if Jay Cutler plays and how well whoever replaces him fares.
Right now the guy who would replace him is Jason Campbell who did a lot less than impress Bears fans on Sunday night with a mediocre performance in relief of Cutler. So as insurance, the Bears have brought back quarterback Josh McCown to take over incase Campbell struggles or also goes down with an injury.
McCown was on the Bears 53-man roster up until the final preseason game against the Browns when the team cut him after his performance. In that game McCown went 20-for-29 for 157 yards and two touchdowns but the Bears elected to head into the season with two quarterbacks in Cutler and their offseason acquisition Campbell.
This sort of scenario is exactly why the Bears brought in Campbell, who spent last season with the Raiders but a majority of his career trying to make something happen with the Washington Redskins. McCown is coming back simply as insurance as the Bears are not confident in putting rookie Matt Blanchard behind Campbell on the gameday depth chart.
There’s no saying Cutler won’t pass the brain test he has to take to clear him for contact, but the Bears are now 7-2 and are staring down the very real possibility of becoming 7-3 and dropping two straight games after a hot start.
So you can understand why they’re covering their bases.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure if this is credible with all the other commentary in the article, take it for what it's worth.

malcore

Well, Lovie has not yet said Cutler will be "out for a while", so I'm assuming Jay is not dead.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I liked how McCown played kind of balls to the wall last year. I was expecting the Pack game to be a meltdown but he kept the Bears in it. I remember the articles last year declaring Cutler "walking scared" or "hearing footsteps" and then they went on that streak and it was never really mentioned again. people talk about his "swagger" but I'm not really seeing it this year, I think he's hearing the footsteps again, and until a tone or rhythm gets set in games, he doesn't really do much.

we caught a glimpse of Campbell in the preseason.. he's not the Redskins Campbell anymore with the cannon arm. I never knew he went through so many offensive coordinators either, but you look at the best QBs in the league and they've all had some consistency and their front offices paid more attention to getting them the tools they needed to win games.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when they were all saying how the Bears were stacked at QB, I called bullshit. I hope Campbell can put it together and that much of it had to do with him practicing with scrubs. and McCown? let's hope Cutler's not gone for an extended period of time.. perhaps comes back following a spiritual reawakening.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
McCown isn't going to wet his panties, we know that.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No doubt they had an unspoken agreement. Campbell seems like such a sleepy guy to me, but he's better than people think.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Wonder why the Bears are comfortable playing Blanchard? They've seen him through 8 weeks of Practice Squad. Does that mean he isn't impressive enough? Or does it just mean the Hanie-Failure looms so large... that Emery & Co thinks people would be calling for their head if Blanchard played and cost them the season, but if McCown losses it there would be no Hanie comparison?

northsiderbearcub

Liked Posts:
Campbell is hot garbage. The guy has always checked down immediately.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What kind of insurance is this and when would one redeem such a "policy"? In case every QB past the age of 20 something on the planet simultaneously dies, except McCown? Fuck this guy. Bring Blanchard up. Do not want. I don't care if he played kind of ok. Everyone thought the same thing when Hanie played decent against the Packers in the NFC CG.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Why oh Why can't the Bears just develop a QB like every other team in the NFL?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No
wallpaper_MrHaney.jpg

:smug:

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Why can't the Bears develop an undrafted 3rd string rookie QB 9 games into the season?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Why can't the Bears develop an undrafted 3rd string rookie QB 9 games into the season?

Just checking... are you being sarcastic? That is, are you saying it's ridiculous that an undrafted PS QB can be moved up to backup QB (to 3rd string, with 1st string injured) 9 games into the season?

Basically, Blachard just has to be good enough to finish a game that Campbell starts, considering the Bears are 7-2.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Why oh Why can't the Bears just develop a QB like every other team in the NFL?

Who did Houston develop? Or who has Jacksonville ever developed. Traded for the only good qbs to last at those cities.

Sent from Neverwhere using Taptalk

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know why, but I think I would prefer McCown over Campbell