Would you like to see a ZBS in Chicago?

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
I realize we can't install a Zone Blocking Scheme at this point. I also realize the ZBS goes against what Tice wants to do, and what he believes. But lets face it, the power running game that Tice wants, is not working.

From what I've read, the ZBS calls for smaller, quicker, more athletic lineman...with that said, we would need to change some of the personnel on the OL. I know changing a scheme, and finding Olineman to run that scheme isn't as easy as snapping your fingers but I believe it would be worth it in order to play to the strenghts of Jay, and Forte in particular.

Forte behind a ZBS would allow him to see a hole, and hit it. Forte has great vision and is a monster when he gets to the second level. I think the OL all flowing together in a single direction would allow Forte to be a one cut runner which is when he's at his best imo.

Jay is great on the move, and would benefit from all the play action, and bootleg opportunities the ZBS creates. Jay is a mediocre QB when he sits in the pocket reading defenses. Too often Jay gets manipulated by secondaries, which isn't how it's supposed to work. The ZBS would create plays that highlight Jay's athleticism, and the chemistry that he, and Marshall have would be hard to stop.

Thoughts?

cbo0485

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Isn't the Zone Blocking System what Shanahan always uses, and he seems to be able to plug anyone into his system and get a productive year out of them. I think Forte would be really good in it, but obviously at this point we'd have to completely re-tool personnel and OC. I'd rather see what happens when Cutler, and Tice get some consistency. Improve the OL through the Draft/FA this off-season, and get Cutler and Marshall in the same system two years in a row. Plus you would hope, Tice will start to show some improvement, and extra depth to his system next season.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
As much as some of Tice's playcalling has been annoying me....I REALLY would like to see some continuity.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I thought Tice did employ some zone blocking, of course, his own "flavor" of it which could well be "turd"

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
We cant keep going through offenses but a ZBS with WCO play calling would be nice. Your OL men would still need to be able to block though

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with everyone that's posted so far concerning continuity. It is very important. But what's more important in the long run is having a scheme that play's to the strenght's of your stars.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
looks like they'll keep Tice (and Bates) another year for the continuity reason barring an epic meltdown a la 2011.

bummer33062

Liked Posts:
ZBS? Is that what the Bears have been doing of late with those scrums when the OL stands up Forte and pushes him for an extra 5 yrds. It seems to be working. Just push the guy down the field if no holes are available. This will make the safeties commit and help the passing game.