Free Agent Tackles would Break the Bears Bank

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
If only they had drafted Albert like I wanted them to instead of Chrissy Williams rebuilding this mess of an OL would be a lot easier.

The bottom line is Webb and Carimi are both liabilities. You can't trust them to play consistent football. The interior of the line isn't much better. Louis is the only guy that should be starting for this OL in 2013 (if he's even able to recover to his previous form).

IMO the first order of business for the Bears should be to see if Edwin Williams or James Brown has potential to be starters for 2013. Hopefully they're giving Brown more reps at LT since Williams is already pluged in at G. Brown doesn't need to be Orlando Pace in his prime but if he can just play consistently average he's already a better alternative than Webb and would save a ton of money from having to be spent in FA.

If not then I feel like they have to at least go out and grab 1 FA to fill the hole. Preferably I'd target Albert. I don't think he'll break the bank to badly and would be an immediate upgrade over Webb. Then you build the rest through the draft.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There are worst LT is the NFL,

Max Starks
Eugene Monroe
Jared Gaither/Whoever plays when he is jurt
Arizona
Sam Baker
Marshall Newhouse

There are other similar LTs,

Anthony Costanzo
Jared Veldheer
Cordy Glenn
Roger Saffold
Jeff Backus
Michael Oher

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If only they had drafted Albert like I wanted them to instead of Chrissy Williams rebuilding this mess of an OL would be a lot easier.

The bottom line is Webb and Carimi are both liabilities. You can't trust them to play consistent football. The interior of the line isn't much better. Louis is the only guy that should be starting for this OL in 2013 (if he's even able to recover to his previous form).

IMO the first order of business for the Bears should be to see if Edwin Williams or James Brown has potential to be starters for 2013. Hopefully they're giving Brown more reps at LT since Williams is already pluged in at G. Brown doesn't need to be Orlando Pace in his prime but if he can just play consistently average he's already a better alternative than Webb and would save a ton of money from having to be spent in FA.

If not then I feel like they have to at least go out and grab 1 FA to fill the hole. Preferably I'd target Albert. I don't think he'll break the bank to badly and would be an immediate upgrade over Webb. Then you build the rest through the draft.

In this plan you have

LT: Albert
LG:
C: Garza
RG: Louis, if healthy
RT:

I think that Webb can be upgraded from, but we need to keep in mind upgrading 3 positions is going to be difficult in one offseason with starting quality players.

FrenchieBully

Liked Posts:
Wow OP you made too much sense!

I agree. As much as I would :fap: if we had a blue chip LT, we can't afford them. Let's do the next best thing and get a stud Guard and Center. I say we sign the best FA Guard and use our first or second round pick on the best Center in the draft. Then pray Carmi learns to passblock or use Scott again next year. The good thing is that serviceable Right Tackles are not rare commodities.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
In this plan you have

LG:
C: Garza
RG: Louis, if healthy
RT:

I think that Webb can be upgraded from, but we need to keep in mind upgrading 3 positions is going to be difficult in one offseason with starting quality players.

Close, but here's what I meant.

LG: Draft pick
C: Draft pick
RG: Louis
RT: Draft pick

Or if Williams and Brown both show they can play consistent football

LT: Brown
LG: Williams
C: Draft pick/FA
RT: Draft pick/FA

IMO finding starters who can solidify this OL is more important than adding second string defensive players so I'd spend the first 3 picks on OL if it came down to it and take the best OL on the board each time at whatever position we haven't drafted yet.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You think Webb is a physical run blocker? Ok then. As you said, we will agree to disagree.

The point of this article was how we would upgrade.

How would you upgrade the LT position?

Knowing that we have limited cash resources and we have limited options because I am guessing that Clady. Albert and Bushrod will all getthe tag and we pick in the mid to late 20s.

If we could get Clady or Albert I would be all for it, but that is unrealistic and is not happening because why would Denver or KC let those guys go? So they can debate about J'Marcuis Webb?

So lets focus on attainable goals like upgrading at LG and RT.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Close, but here's what I meant.

LG: Draft pick
C: Draft pick
RT: Draft pick

Or if Williams and Brown both show they can play consistent football

LT: Brown
LG: Williams
C: Draft pick/FA
RT: Draft pick/FA

IMO finding starters who can solidify this OL is more important than adding second string defensive players so I'd spend the first 3 picks on OL if it came down to it and take the best OL on the board each time at whatever position we haven't drafted yet.

Your starting 3 rookies on the OL?

Or starting 2 undrafted free agents?

I think you are over estimating how quickly rookies can play and how much development you will get out of Brown and Williams.

My ideal and realistic scenario

LT: Webb, because the other options suck worse.

LG: Carimi, try and get some value and he looked good at LG at the Senior Bowl.

C: Jonathan Cooper [1st round], athletic an physical.

RG: Louis/Garza, if Louis is on PUP we go to Garza for 6 weeks.

RT; Andre Smith [Free Agent] he is a RT only so I think he hits the market and costs about 1/2 of what Clady would if he became a free agent.

FrenchieBully

Liked Posts:
F it, let's just go Colts style with Manning. Let's get a whole stud O-line and TE. We can drop 40 points on our opponents per game. We can shift money from the defense to the offense. We only need Peppers. We can roll with mediocre defense and win games.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Your starting 3 rookies on the OL?

Or starting 2 undrafted free agents?

I think you are over estimating how quickly rookies can play and how much development you will get out of Brown and Williams.

And I think you're under estimating just how bad this current OL is and how much they hold this offense back. If we're being honest with ourselves they need upgrades ACROSS THE BOARD. Louis is the only guy I'd start next year and it remains to be seen how effective he'll be when he returns.

So if that means rookies or undrafted FA's have to start so be it. Get the best 5 guys on the field.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And I think you're under estimating just how bad this current OL is and how much they hold this offense back. If we're being honest with ourselves they need upgrades ACROSS THE BOARD. Louis is the only guy I'd start next year and it remains to be seen how effective he'll be when he returns.

So if that means rookies or undrafted FA's have to start so be it. Get the best 5 guys on the field.

I agree.

I just don't think that a 4th round rookie is going to beat out Roberto Garza.

I just don't think a late 1st round LT, like Derek Sherrod, is going to beat out Webb right away.

This team should try and get a starter from free agency and another from the draft a full scale blow up is unrealsitic and would actually hurt the continuity and communication along the line.

I don't think a team has ever started 3 rookies on an OL. San Fran started 2 a couple years ago, but they were both top 20 picks.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think I should clarify my position.

I do not think Webb is good, I think he is totally average, but I also realize that a) it is going to be expensive and difficult to replace him, and b) we have worse players playing at LG and RT.

The easiest way and most financially viable for us to improve the OL is to look at the LG or RT positions.

If we can get Clady, Albert or Bushrod I will be happy, but the same reason we want them is the same reason their teams won't let them go.

paytonisgod

Liked Posts:
There's is no reason we can't replace Webb if we find some one better. The point of the article is that we should not blow all our cap space on one guy when there are needs at other positions on the line.

The understanding is it's better to have five B grade guys on the line than one A guy, a B, a couple Cs, and a D. Since that A guy costs so much your not getting anything better unless you hit the hidden gem lottery in the draft. And god forbid your A guy goes down with an injury.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Trade Webb straight-up for any of the following players. Immediate updgrade.

Max Starks
Eugene Monroe
Jared Gaither/Whoever plays when he is jurt
Arizona
Sam Baker
Marshall Newhouse
Anthony Costanzo
Jared Veldheer
Cordy Glenn
Roger Saffold
Jeff Backus
Michael Oher

Also add Jake Long to that list.

There is no need to "focus" on those goals. You don't/shouldn't need a plan in place to improve in those areas. The Bears should be able to find anyone to improve on the LG position. There shouldn't be any extra time devoted to that goal. And if you are going to bail on Carimi at RT after half a season, then the Bears should be prepared to spend another draft pick on the position, and then put Carimi at LG.

Improving at LG from Rachal/Spencer, Easy.

Improving at LG to a good NFL player, More Difficult.

We are not talking about just finding someone to play LG that is better than the rejects that we have, we need someone who we can rely on and build around.

Nate Livings is an upgrade over Spencer, but he still sucks.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why not? Garza is terrible. He's also going to have to be replaced in the next couple years regardless, due to his age.

Why wouldn't he? And when have the Bears played O linemen based on performance?

What continuity exists in the current situation? What communication along the line have you seen? Over the past couple years, I've seen numerous players shuffled around the line, and I've seen numerous communication breakdowns and missed assignments. Why would you cite those reasons as justification for not improving the Offensive line? The opposite is true...continuity and communication are the REASONS the Bears need to improve the line.

Go ahead and rely on 3 rookies to come in and play at a solid NFL level week 1.

You could draft 3 Carimi's and we have seen how he has played.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Jake Long is not very good, and I hope to god we dont wast money on him. I think we should plan on this:

LT = Webb
LG = Draft Pick or FA or Carimi
Center = Garza ( i think he has a couple of years left )
RG - Louis
RT - FA or Draft Pick

In this scenerio, I think we will be good to go with one FA and one Rook on the line... We need to draft some later round linemen though, especially a center to groom...

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jake Long is not very good, and I hope to god we dont wast money on him. I think we should plan on this:

LT = Webb
LG = Draft Pick or FA or Carimi
Center = Garza ( i think he has a couple of years left )
RG - Louis
RT - FA or Draft Pick

In this scenerio, I think we will be good to go with one FA and one Rook on the line... We need to draft some later round linemen though, especially a center to groom...

The more I read about Jake Long the more I worry they'll go after him and set us back again. I'm going to assume Emery is smarter than that though. I'm not giving up on Carimi at RT just yet. I think a solid FA at LG and a couple draft picks for Center and RT to compete. If there is a starting LT in the first round, draft them. Sucks that the season isn't even over and I'm anxious to see what we're going to do in the offseason.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I thought the way Carimi has played is the REASON for trying to improve the line.

Again, this is the opposite of what should be happening. Yeah, the Bears drafted Carimi, he sucks....better not draft another offensive lineman ever again!

Not at all.

The lessons from Carimi is not to never draft an OT in the first round it is to not assume they are going to be any good right away.

Counting on a rookie LT that is not a top 10 pick is a risk.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears are not going OL in the 1st this year. Just not gonna happen. The value is not there this draft.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The more I read about Jake Long the more I worry they'll go after him and set us back again. I'm going to assume Emery is smarter than that though. I'm not giving up on Carimi at RT just yet. I think a solid FA at LG and a couple draft picks for Center and RT to compete. If there is a starting LT in the first round, draft them. Sucks that the season isn't even over and I'm anxious to see what we're going to do in the offseason.

The Bears aren't gonna give up on Carimi yet either.

Christ, OL more than any other position group is one where players can grow into becoming solid.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bears are not going OL in the 1st this year. Just not gonna happen. The value is not there this draft.

If that is the case then we will have Webb at LT.

But I would argue this is a weak tackle at OT at OG it is stacked with Cooper, Warmack, Jones and others.