Free Agent Tackles would Break the Bears Bank

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If that is the case then we will have Webb at LT.

But I would argue this is a weak tackle at OT at OG it is stacked with Cooper, Warmack, Jones and others.

All the more reason they won't be looking there in the 1st.

And if Webb can finish the season out at his current pace, its almost certain he will start next season.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think you can swap out 3-4 players in1 year. Webb probably stays with LL, Garza and probably Carimi as a backup or whatever. I know this wont be popular, but it is what it is .... Draft a G or 2 and a C and sign a T.

Windy, isn't A Smith playing G now? He was the last few games I watched, I think?!

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why not? Garza is terrible. He's also going to have to be replaced in the next couple years regardless, due to his age.

Why wouldn't he? And when have the Bears played O linemen based on performance?

What continuity exists in the current situation? What communication along the line have you seen? Over the past couple years, I've seen numerous players shuffled around the line, and I've seen numerous communication breakdowns and missed assignments. Why would you cite those reasons as justification for not improving the Offensive line? The opposite is true...continuity and communication are the REASONS the Bears need to improve the line.

I may disagree with you when it comes to Cutler but I agree 100% when it comes to the OL.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think you can swap out 3-4 players in1 year. Webb probably stays with LL, Garza and probably Carimi as a backup or whatever. I know this wont be popular, but it is what it is .... Draft a G or 2 and a C and sign a T.

Windy, isn't A Smith playing G now? He was the last few games I watched, I think?!

He was at RT most of the season.

He is so powerful that I think he could very easily move into OG and be okay, he also is not 6'7" like most tackles these days.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
OL is perhaps the most important position group of all to have a developmental pipeline going. It is perhaps the only group where it is reasonable to expect teams to consistently develop guys from the 2nd round on into solid, long term starters. Especially with interior OL.

This. Instant fixes from the draft beyond the 1st 1/2 of the 1st round are rare and starters often come from being developed from later round picks. We've had to rush out young players out of necessity. It doesn't help them or the team.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Close, but here's what I meant.

LT: Albert
LG: Draft pick
C: Draft pick
RG: Louis
RT: Draft pick

Three rookies, a free agent, and a guy coming off a torn ACL. That can't end well.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL

Carimi will be penciled in as the staring RT beginning next season by virtue of draft status if nothing else. Can't believe people would give up so quick.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Close, but here's what I meant.

LT: Albert
LG: Draft pick
C: Draft pick
RT: Draft pick

Or if Williams and Brown both show they can play consistent football

LT: Brown
LG: Williams
C: Draft pick/FA
RT: Draft pick/FA

IMO finding starters who can solidify this OL is more important than adding second string defensive players so I'd spend the first 3 picks on OL if it came down to it and take the best OL on the board each time at whatever position we haven't drafted yet.

lmfao

Then you bench all those new draft picks 3/4 of the way through the season after they get thrown to the wolves and flounder? And then what? Draft 3 more in 2014?

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Sign one veteran starter, draft an interior lineman with our first round pick, take a developmental player later.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Basically the Bears are pretty fucked if both Webb and Carimi don't pan out into at least mediocre starters. Which is why its almost guaranteed both will be starting at the beginning of next season.

Liked Posts:
I'd be happy as hell if the Bears could pull off an OT like Clady or Long in free agency. If either one of them ends up not getting signed or franchised I bet my bottom dollar the Bears will find a way to get one of them. Especially since theres also a glaring need for a new LB.

I'd love it if this.....

Long or Clady in free agency. Either one beats the hell out of anything the Bears have had at LT since Covert.

Draft:

Face it, Urlacher is toast. I love the guy as a player, but I do think were all watching him play his last season.

Round 1) Bears move up in the first for T'eo since he won't be available at #32 in the draft, who looks as though he could formidably replace either one of Briggs or Urlacher if needed, especially since Notre Dames defense does tend to play a subsatntial amount of a Tampa 2 scheme.

Round 2) TE - Zach Ertz from Stanford. Dude went off in the Stanford/Oregon game. This kid is a beast who put up moster numbers at Stanford. I believe he had more production as a receiving TE on the Stanford offense than everyone but their number one WR target...The offense desperately needs a TE. Ths kid looks like he'd be a great fit.

Round 4) The Bears draft Braxston Cave to take over at Center. Notre Dame is sending a lot of quality players into the draft & I think this kid could be a steal if he's around in the fourth round. IMO the Bears need a new center every bit as bad as they need a new LT. I do think with all of the 3-4 defenses in football that utilize beast NTs in the middle, that good Centers are becoming every bit as valuable as LTs on any offensive line.

I'd be happy as hell to see the Bears come out of the next offseason with some new quality at the LT, LB, & TE positions.

....Happened

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why not just make a list of the top 5 LTs in the league and say the Bears should just get one of them already?

Liked Posts:
Why not just make a list of the top 5 LTs in the league and say the Bears should just get one of them already?

Sure, sign all of them, the Bears are bound to hit on one of them, maybe two & if were lucky mabybe one can even play LG.

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
I don’t always respond to necro threads, but when I do it’s generally about the Bears futility with their OL:,

Carry on.