OT Roger Goodell floats idea to remove the kickoff entirely.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Go Toronto Argonauts!!

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I fucking hate Goodell. This guy is going to be worse for the NFL than Stern was for the NBA, and that's pretty bad. He's going to completely ruin football.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
How about fuck the NFL, I'll simply switch sports:

[video=youtube;-F6POhAbAhE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F6POhAbAhE[/video]

Space Invader

Dorkchop
Liked Posts:
"It's an off-the-wall idea. It's different and makes you think differently. It did me,"
hemenfuck.jpg

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Obviously, the 4 and 15 is to allow a team to go for it, in lue of the on side kick. They obviously don't have a clue how to handle and on side punt. That's the rub, it is too easy for the 4 and 15 team, they already get possession. Could you "fake" the punt? Statistically, would be interesting to see what is more difficult the 4 and 15, adding in penalties or 16 yard completions or running plays, or recovery of an on side kick off. Bet the On side Kick off recovery is statistically more difficult.

Over-all a bad idea.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Maybe we will get a chance to see Andy Fantuz again in all his glory...courtesy of Roger ruining the fucking NFL.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
I suppose all this talk is concussion related.

Imo, in order to ''make the game safer'', the protection of players brains needs to start from the beginning, not once a player reaches the NFL.

Imo, no kickoffs for pee-wee football, period.

Gradually implement kickoffs into the game at the Varsity level in High School, with rules to limit full blown hits.

College, gradually decrease rules that limit the big hits even further.

NFL, tweak the current rules but keep the integrity of the game in place.

By gradually upping the ante, imo, players would reach the NFL in much better shape, mentally, and physically. Not to mention, those who don't reach the NFL level have a better chance of not getting concussions through their youth.

malcore

I always wondered if there was double reasoning behind this. Not just safety, but economics also.

If the NFL is serious about possibly removing aspects of special teams, this could counter-balance the idea of increasing roster sizes for teams. I wonder if there are even owners who like the idea of doing away with special teams entirely, eliminating the need for back-ups to be proficient in these areas.

Roster sizes could potentially even be reduced.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
Best thing about new kickoff rule floated by @nflcommish? Unless your punter can kick it more than 85 yards, there will be no touchbacks

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
Best thing about new kickoff rule floated by @nflcommish? Unless your punter can kick it more than 85 yards, there will be no touchbacks
The trade off... Plenty of fair catches.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Maybe we will get a chance to see Andy Fantuz again in all his glory...courtesy of Roger ruining the fucking NFL.

Didn't he put his face on one of the conference title trophies recently?.:lol:

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
even if they did this, you all will still watch, and the NFL knows it.....

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was thinking guys. Why don't we eliminate contact all together? I mean someone could get a scratch or break a nail or heaven forbid possibly bruise themselves! The NFL is way too violent I think Roger Goodell is actually Rogina Goodell because honestly he/(she?) is turning this into a sport for pussies. Pardon my French.

Bearsfan7954

Liked Posts:
I was thinking guys. Why don't we eliminate contact all together? I mean someone could get a scratch or break a nail or heaven forbid possibly bruise themselves! The NFL is way too violent I think Roger Goodell is actually Rogina Goodell because honestly he/(she?) is turning this into a sport for pussies. Pardon my French.

This is happening across the whole country. Everybody is so risk adverse in todays society. The NFL is just a microcosm of it.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
even if they did this, you all will still watch, and the NFL knows it.....

Yes and no, they'll lose the older fans which will be replaced by young fans who won't know the difference...or don't care.

Lance Briggs once stated Europe was the "future of the NFL".

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is happening across the whole country. Everybody is so risk adverse in todays society. The NFL is just a microcosm of it.

Yup, we are turning into a society of pussies, no one wants to stand up for themselves for fear of hurting someone else's feelings.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
wtf.gif