OT Roger Goodell floats idea to remove the kickoff entirely.

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why dont we just go all out? Instead of even putting players on the field, they just convert to best out of 3 in Madden on Sundays?

LMAO! Could you see Cutler playing himself on Madden? ... LMAO!

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
So when the opposing defense gets all tired out just keep the ball and converting.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Roger Badell.

MacBear

Liked Posts:
When the NFL changed the line of scrimmage for kickoffs to increase touchbacks, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick derisively said that it was only a matter of time before the NFL eliminated kickoffs entirely. He believed that's what the NFL wanted to do.

Belichick might wind up being proven right.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said that he's taken it under consideration6
"It's an off-the-wall idea. It's different and makes you think differently. It did me," Goodell told TIME in a cover story for the Dec. 17 issue.

Even more intriguing is an alternative concept promoted by Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano. Goodell met with the NFL competition committee chairman about the concept.

"After a touchdown or field goal, instead of kicking off, a team would get the ball on its own 30-yard line, where it's fourth and 15," TIME's Sean Gregory writes. "The options are either to go for it and try to retain possession or punt. If you go for it and fall short, of course, the opposing team would take over with good field position. In essence, a punt replaces the kickoffs."

It's an interesting idea. We haven't seen the numbers that punts are that much safer than kickoffs, but the NFL must have the data to support the notion if they were considering it.

The implications for strategy are even more intriguing. If a team is trailing by more than one score very late in the fourth quarter, they likely would to try to go for it on fourth-and-15 instead of punting. That's not an easy situation to convert, but the concept would still make it easier to make a comeback without ever giving the ball back to an opponent.

do-not-want

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was thinking guys. Why don't we eliminate contact all together? I mean someone could get a scratch or break a nail or heaven forbid possibly bruise themselves! The NFL is way too violent I think Roger Goodell is actually Rogina Goodell because honestly he/(she?) is turning this into a sport for pussies. Pardon my French.
Sarcastaball?

TheWinman

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
0:13 left in the 2nd quarter. Patriots 49 Jaguars 0. Jags have yet to have the ball. lol

malcore

I would disagree. I think the current rules eliminate the need for backups to be proficient at special teams, because if you have a decent kicker or if you play in a dome, every kickoff will end up being a touchback. I remember the days when teams like the Colts and Redskins would carry a 2nd kicker who would only do the kickoffs. Now, you don't need a special strong leg kicker, and you don't really even need kick coverage guys because the kicks are touchbacks. You don't really need punters because teams only punt a couple times a game because every offense can move the ball.

I think the new rule would place a bigger emphasis on the punter position, and a much bigger emphasis on punt coverage and having guys who can block punts and return punts.

I was ruminating in a more long term aim of eliminating special teams completely, ie. no return game at all, just place kickers.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
quadruple fuck that? anyone?

Adun

Liked Posts:
Calm down people, nobody is going to go for it on 4th and 15 from their 30 unless they have to. It would be a lot better than kicking off from the 35 and getting no returns.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it eliminates the surprise on-side kick. You could do a fake punt, but it's not the same thing and more difficult

TheWinman

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Calm down people, nobody is going to go for it on 4th and 15 from their 30 unless they have to. It would be a lot better than kicking off from the 35 and getting no returns.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it eliminates the surprise on-side kick. You could do a fake punt, but it's not the same thing and more difficult
I'm not going to try and find stats, but I think a fake punt works more than a onside kick.
I can see the Patriots going for 4th and 15 a few times a game.

TheWinman

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If thats true, then its probably because there are times when the opposition knows the other team has to try an onside kick, so they plan accordingly. There really isn't a situation in a game when the opposition knows the other team has to try a fake punt. They are always surprise plays.

I think successful onside kicks is around 18% or something close to that. I'm certain fake punts work more often. Now how often do you see a fake punt with at least 4th and 15, so hard to tell. But the element of surprise would still be there so who knows.

4THQUARTERCLUTCHLER

Liked Posts:
Unrelated, but I just wanted to take this opportunity to post my favorite Todd Haley gif....

todd-haley-animated-gif.gif
i now know why some of his players called him gay wtf is going on with him in that bottom Sig haha. That's the most girly reaction I've seen its a little disturbing, on a side note that girl needs to marry me lol.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Unrelated, but I just wanted to take this opportunity to post my favorite Todd Haley gif....

todd-haley-animated-gif.gif

Every time I see Todd Haley, I think of this gif.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Triple fuck that. Kickoffs are an essential part of the game in my opinion. KO returned for a TD is one of the most exciting things that can happen in football.

Is that more exciting then a punt returned for a td?

I seriously dont care one way or the other, but I'm not sure why everyone is freaking out..

What happens on a kick off? Your giving the ball to the other team by way of kicking the ball.
What happens on a punt? Your giving the ball to the other team by way of kicking the ball.

OMG I can see why football would be ruined if that happens! You kicking the ball in a slightly different way!

No OC is ever going to go for it on 4th and 15 from their own 30 unless its the 4th qtr and they are down.

We already have 4th and long situations in every game .. and you know what happens? Unless you are in field goal range its a punt..

BrudderBear

Mr House,Mojave Wasteland
Donator
Liked Posts:
That would be the definition of stupid

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The whole thing is so stupid, it's hard to even make a rational comment on it.

Please remove Goodell for the good of the league.