OT Roger Goodell floats idea to remove the kickoff entirely.

4THQUARTERCLUTCHLER

Liked Posts:
When the NFL changed the line of scrimmage for kickoffs to increase touchbacks, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick derisively said that it was only a matter of time before the NFL eliminated kickoffs entirely. He believed that's what the NFL wanted to do.

Belichick might wind up being proven right.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said that he's taken it under consideration6
"It's an off-the-wall idea. It's different and makes you think differently. It did me," Goodell told TIME in a cover story for the Dec. 17 issue.

Even more intriguing is an alternative concept promoted by Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano. Goodell met with the NFL competition committee chairman about the concept.

"After a touchdown or field goal, instead of kicking off, a team would get the ball on its own 30-yard line, where it's fourth and 15," TIME's Sean Gregory writes. "The options are either to go for it and try to retain possession or punt. If you go for it and fall short, of course, the opposing team would take over with good field position. In essence, a punt replaces the kickoffs."

It's an interesting idea. We haven't seen the numbers that punts are that much safer than kickoffs, but the NFL must have the data to support the notion if they were considering it.

The implications for strategy are even more intriguing. If a team is trailing by more than one score very late in the fourth quarter, they likely would to try to go for it on fourth-and-15 instead of punting. That's not an easy situation to convert, but the concept would still make it easier to make a comeback without ever giving the ball back to an opponent.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't hate it. Our guys seem to end up running the thing out and barely getting to the 15 a lot. Could be interesting. Hester is a better punt returner than a kick returner. At least he was anyway.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
First off, title is misleading. It's a suggestion/thought, not an action.

Secondly, it's dumb. It's yet another advantage to offenses. Teams with good offenses could hold onto the ball for as long as they'd like basically. 15 yards isn't that hard to convert really.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I'll never watch an NFL game again.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Secondly, it's dumb. It's yet another advantage to offenses. Teams with good offenses could hold onto the ball for as long as they'd like basically. 15 yards isn't that hard to convert really.

You are correct, title is misleading. Still a little concerning they are even bouncing around the idea, think it would be awful for the game. Something like this would require a vote correct? Roger couldn't just do it unilaterally could he?

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'll never watch an NFL game again.

That's going to be the only thing that stops garbage like this.

CCS needs to come up w/ a "Keep The Kickoff" Petition.

Bearsgonewild

Liked Posts:
double what? couldn't a team keep possession/scoring forever? 4th and 15 is doable, more so than an onside.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:

Absolutely. If you were playing a terrible defense with a high powered offense, go for it and keep the ball. The Pats would have the ball for 58 minutes some games.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
You are correct, title is misleading. Still a little concerning they are even bouncing around the idea, think it would be awful for the game. Something like this would require a vote correct? Roger couldn't just do it unilaterally could he?

I think rule changes require votes from the competition committee or something. But Goodell is a tyrant.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Every single team will put "Hey Diddle Diddle" in their playbook :lol:

4THQUARTERCLUTCHLER

Liked Posts:

Yeah little misleading but we know roger if hes talking about it in magazines its gonna happen weather we the fans like it or not.

peanut33tillman

Liked Posts:
This is MORONIC. Both the no kick off rule and the 4th and 15 rule. I cannot stand Goodell....