Asik a HUGE mistake

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You guys probably already beat this to death. I don't think the conversion of Korver, Watson, and Brewer to Bellinellia and Butler and Robinson is THAT big of a deal. I mean Robinson is a guy who can create, and Brewer was excellent at defense and fast break. Korver subtracted his benefit with clumsy ball handling, no off switch, and poor defense. Watson really never did much for me.

Hienrich for Lucas is also a wash, with different strengths and weaknesses crossing mostly out.

The big problem is Asik, and that black mark won't go way when Rose returns. Particularyly when Boozer is a questionable front line player, we really needed quality bigs to rotate. Gibson is not a big. He is great depth, but right now he is our only quality depth for rebounds and offense.

Bellinelli will have his ups and downs, but Rhadmonovic and Muhammed should not be on this team. Asik was an excellent young center that we developed into our system and could play Thibs defense well.

those cheap bastards made a huge mistake.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You guys probably already beat this to death. I don't think the conversion of Korver, Watson, and Brewer to Bellinellia and Butler and Robinson is THAT big of a deal. I mean Robinson is a guy who can create, and Brewer was excellent at defense and fast break. Korver subtracted his benefit with clumsy ball handling, no off switch, and poor defense. Watson really never did much for me.

Hienrich for Lucas is also a wash, with different strengths and weaknesses crossing mostly out.

The big problem is Asik, and that black mark won't go way when Rose returns. Particularyly when Boozer is a questionable front line player, we really needed quality bigs to rotate. Gibson is not a big. He is great depth, but right now he is our only quality depth for rebounds and offense.

Bellinelli will have his ups and downs, but Rhadmonovic and Muhammed should not be on this team. Asik was an excellent young center that we developed into our system and could play Thibs defense well.

those cheap bastards made a huge mistake.

There's more to it than that though. The way the Rockets structured offers to Lin and Asik made it near impossible for the Knicks and Bulls to match it. EXTREMELY back-loaded for both of them.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
im tired of ppl acting like this bench is on level/close with bench mob minus asik

its not at all this bench is sucks and the old bench is clearly sorely missed

Marco couldn't hold Korvers jockstrap
Butler is equal to Brew
Watson > Hinrich
Nate is better than Lucas but both are midget chuckers
of course asik is better than the useless nazr

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
far as the asik thing i was against matching but i wished we traded him and it looks like we shoulda traded taj because ever since signing the contract taj has not been playing good and during games he looks so disinterested

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
im tired of ppl acting like this bench is on level/close with bench mob minus asik

its not at all this bench is sucks and the old bench is clearly sorely missed

Marco couldn't hold Korvers jockstrap
Butler is equal to Brew
Watson > Hinrich

Nate is better than Lucas but both are midget chuckers
of course asik is better than the useless nazr

Brewer is still a better player than Butler in my opinion.

I don't think it is that simple to say Watson > Hinrich. Yeah, Watson is a lot better as a shooter but Hinrich pretty much edges him at everything else.

This bench really is close to the same bench with Asik. That isn't to say Houston didn't overpay him or the Bulls should have matched. Take it for what it's worth.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
yeah its as simple as that...hinrich is trash

and i think watson is a much better fit

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah its as simple as that...hinrich is trash

and i think watson is a much better fit

Hinrich can easily defend both guard positions. Watson is a very good defender of the point. That makes a lot of difference in itself. Hinrich is also a pass-first player whereas Watson tends to hijack more of the offense.

The main difference, to me, is who fits better alongside Derrick Rose - Hinrich. Rose needs desperately a secondary guard who has PG skills on offense and the ability to defend to opposing team's best perimeter scorer.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
who cares if he can defend both guard positions

his defense is not good enough to make up for his lack of everything else

i will give he has better PG skills than Watson but Hinrich is no Steve Nash

i actually had this same argument with somebody else that harped on how hinrich is a better "PG" than watson like hinrch is really that good at PG

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Actually, yes, Hinrich is a better than Watson at being a PG. Just look at the passing statistics, even from last year where Watson was getting more minutes and starting games, Hinrich is better at getting shots for others. Watson is good at getting shots for himself. They're completely different players so saying one is better than the other simply because one is better at scoring is being short sighted. Defensively, Kirk is better than Watson, and shooting wise, Watson isn't even shooting that well himself and is only marginally ahead of Hinrich despite Hinrich shooting like absolute garbage. No, he's not Steve Nash or anything close, but I would argue that Hinrich is a pretty good PG when his shooting is in his career average range.

Consider this...Watson got signed for the minimum. Hinrich got "overpaid" at like 4M. If Watson was so clearly better than Hinrich, why was it not the other way around? There were teams out there with cap space that could've given Watson more than the minimum.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Actually, yes, Hinrich is a better than Watson at being a PG. Just look at the passing statistics, even from last year where Watson was getting more minutes and starting games, Hinrich is better at getting shots for others. Watson is good at getting shots for himself. They're completely different players so saying one is better than the other simply because one is better at scoring is being short sighted. Defensively, Kirk is better than Watson, and shooting wise, Watson isn't even shooting that well himself and is only marginally ahead of Hinrich despite Hinrich shooting like absolute garbage. No, he's not Steve Nash or anything close, but I would argue that Hinrich is a pretty good PG when his shooting is in his career average range.

Consider this...Watson got signed for the minimum. Hinrich got "overpaid" at like 4M. If Watson was so clearly better than Hinrich, why was it not the other way around? There were teams out there with cap space that could've given Watson more than the minimum.

you should post more often. :yep:

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
I know that I'd feel better about Hinrich if his shooting wasn't so awful, otherwise I like his game.

I also wish we would have kept Brewer- tho I don't know how much that would have cost. I thought he was one of the best guys coming off the bench.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
im not arguing that Kirk isnt a better 'PG' i agreed he was

and hinrich is a min player if it wasnt for the bucks thats what he would of got

i also think nets got a steal with watson for min

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure Watson is good enough for this league, he isn't good enough at any one thing to really be a threat and be out there. Hinrich does some things, and when he is shooting well your going to win the game. I think Kirk does a decent job of running the offense, and we'll see how it looks when Rose come back, because that will be the real test. I don't think many will argue when Kirk is the seventh or eighth guy..

all I was saying was that Asik is missed every single night. He is a big help giving quality minutes down low to get through a grueling season, a great rebounder and bothersome to players coming into the lane.

He is almost playing at a level where you could say he is max contract worthy (consider the weakness of that position across the league), and if so his contract is not back loaded with houston, but a front steal.

We could have kept him and maybe even traded out of the money years with a team like Dallas or New Jersey willing to pay luxury tax. The Bulls make so much money though, its really outrageous of them to do this to us. We should never lose a player for money reason, they are lieing to you.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
im not arguing that Kirk isnt a better 'PG' i agreed he was

and hinrich is a min player if it wasnt for the bucks thats what he would of got

i also think nets got a steal with watson for min
Well why didn't the Bucks go for Watson after we cut him then? Furthermore, the Bulls were going to offer him the MMLE initially anyway. I know Hinrich's shot has been ridiculously bad so far, but it's not like this is anything new to us. He played here for 7 years prior...we knew what we were getting. Some people still can't look past what happened in the past. Some others can't see beyond shooting percentages. But even if you're concerned with percentages, Watson has not even been that much better than Kirk anyway.

Lambaste Kirk all you like and glorify Watson as some kind of poor man's Steve Francis or whatever, at the end of the day, Watson is shooting 39% from the field and 33% from 3 and averaging just under 2 assists on what some would argue as a more talented team. Kirk will shoot better as the season progresses, count on it. He might not average as many points or be able to create his own shot, but his contributions in every other aspect of the game will be better than Watson.

But let's digress to the original topic of this thread...

Asik is definitely missed, but I think a lot of his huge increase in production in Houston is due to him being their only center worth playing. I mean...he went from averaging like 15 mpg here to near Luol Deng level playing time in Houston. That said, having another big man to spell Noah would be a real help right now.

However, I think the guy we might actually miss the most is Kyle Korver. Having someone that consistent from 3 was huge for our offense. Belinelli is a pretty good shooter, but when he shoots, I don't think it's automatic like Korver's was. Plus, Belinelli plays less than 12 minutes most of the time and as bad as people said Korver was defensively, Belinelli is far worse. On a team without that much 3pt shooting that can go through dry spells at any given time, I think Kyle Korver would've given us a huge lift offensively, more so than Asik would've lifted us defensively.