2013 MLB Draft Thread: Cubs with #2 pick

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Thought I'd throw up a few more prospects before I head into work.

Sean Manaea, LHP Indiana State University

seanmanaea.jpg

Scouting links

Draft profile on minorleagueball.com

Bigleaguefutures.net link with video!

Indiana State University athlete bio

[video=youtube;COO96Em5MnE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COO96Em5MnE[/video]

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I've personally watched Manaea pitch twice and was extremely impressed with him. Very smooth delivery, consistency with keeping his arm in the proper slot. Really broad shoulders, could probably add 10 more pounds to help him maintain arm strength through a 162 game season. His one drawback is while his fastball has great life and accuracy, he's still developing his changeup and slider. I noticed several times, especially in the game I watched him pitch versus Indiana University, that he got away with poor placement simply because of the competition. He certainly won't get away with missing with off-speed stuff, especially down the middle of the plate. Most projections I've read about him state that he's a solid front-end pitching waiting to happen.

More video of Manaea

[video=youtube;7sKZIVfIoCw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sKZIVfIoCw[/video]

Last edited:

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Kris Bryant, 3B University of San Diego

501f2e8fade1b.preview-620.jpg

Scouting links

University of San Diego bio

minorleagueball.com bio

[video=youtube;-Q56yHXvbyI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-Q56yHXvbyI[/video]

Bryant was previously drafted in the 10th round by the Blue Jays in 2010 but chose to polish his skills at the University of San Diego. He was heavily recruited by other baseball powerhouses such as LSU, UC-Irvine, USC and Vanderbilt, among others.

Last edited:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is the the University of San Diego or San Diego University? That's gotta be confusing for mail carriers in the area. One of them is the one Tony Gwynn coaches at though.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Is the the University of San Diego or San Diego University? That's gotta be confusing for mail carriers in the area. One of them is the one Tony Gwynn coaches at though.

Tony Gwynn coaches at San Diego State Univeristy, Kris Bryant plays third base at the University of San Diego. Confusing, I know.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Minorleagueball.com had their first mock draft yesterday afternoon. This draft covers the first round and 'compensatory picks.' They have projected the Cubs to select Georgia high school centerfielder Austin Meadows. I'll post up information here in a few minutes.

Link here

Last edited:

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Grayson HS (Georgia) CF Austin Meadows

HS_Austin_Meadows_576.jpg

Scouting links

ESPN.com article from June

Perfectgame.org profile

[video=youtube;NwWV4zpKzoQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwWV4zpKzoQ[/video]

Meadows has one of the highest ceilings in the draft. Fantastic range, plus speed and projectable power. His biggest drawback from every single source I've read or every video I've watched is that he hacks just a little too much. Even with how talented he is, he swings and misses more than you'd like. Contract rate simply isn't there for a guy you want to draft at #2, for my taste at least. He has committed to Clemson University, although it's unknown if he'd consider signing if he were drafted.

Last edited:

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
In Sickles first mock the guy going #1 I have never heard of lol.

Frazier and Bryant are the guys I like especially if they are willing to sign under slot.

The day I cant wait for is July 2nd with the new rules we should get a ton of good talents we have the 2nd highest pool.

Last year we got 2 really good talents and an elite arm in Juan Carlos Paniagua. With the draft and international free agency this year we could really turn the corner for the future.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
In Sickles first mock the guy going #1 I have never heard of lol.

Frazier and Bryant are the guys I like especially if they are willing to sign under slot.

The day I cant wait for is July 2nd with the new rules we should get a ton of good talents we have the 2nd highest pool.

Last year we got 2 really good talents and an elite arm in Juan Carlos Paniagua. With the draft and international free agency this year we could really turn the corner for the future.

Agreed, I'm still interested to see what happens with Dariel Alvarez and Aledmys Diaz. The Cubs are said to be in both guys. Could be a nice value if the price is right.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
A couple ways to go about this draft methinks...

If Astros underslot #1 pick again, Cubs take best player available in rounds one through four or five, and underslot the hell out of rounds six through ten to make sure the first four or five guys get paid.

If Cubs want to use the Astros underslot plan (i.e. take Carlos Correa, still a good prospect, and then get more than the average allotment of good prospects) then they marginally underslot every other pick so they can pick up solid pieces throughout the first ten rounds before they decide to go nuts (within the bounds of the CBA of course) in rounds eleven and beyond.

So knowing who some of the not-so-top picks are could be very informative.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:

If Astros underslot #1 pick again, Cubs take best player available in rounds one through four or five, and underslot the hell out of rounds six through ten to make sure the first four or five guys get paid.

If Cubs want to use the Astros underslot plan (i.e. take Carlos Correa, still a good prospect, and then get more than the average allotment of good prospects) then they marginally underslot every other pick so they can pick up solid pieces throughout the first ten rounds before they decide to go nuts (within the bounds of the CBA of course) in rounds eleven and beyond.

Correa was the #1 overall prospect by many many experts they didnt take a 2nd tier player they took the best.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Correa was the #1 overall prospect by many many experts they didnt take a 2nd tier player they took the best.

They took the best player who would sign underslot. That's a pretty good compromise either way. I think if they had wanted to spend more they probably would have taken Appel or Buxton.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Found this Draft Slot Value chart for the first 10 rounds of the 2012 Draft. I think this'll help put into perspective what the Cubs have to spend for the juicier chunk of the draft.

Check it out here.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Found this Draft Slot Value chart for the first 10 rounds of the 2012 Draft. I think this'll help put into perspective what the Cubs have to spend for the juicier chunk of the draft.

Check it out here.

If I recall correctly (and I often don't) Correa signed with Houston for less than $5MM which left Houston an extra $2MM or so to play with for the next few picks, so they got slightly better 2nd and 3rd rounders than they otherwise would have. The pool obviously increases with the number of comp/sandwich picks each team has. But now if a team loses a pick to free agent signings that pick just kinda disappears and a new pick shows up in the following sandwich round. So that will screw with the calculus a wee bit, but not too much.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If I recall correctly (and I often don't) Correa signed with Houston for less than $5MM which left Houston an extra $2MM or so to play with for the next few picks, so they got slightly better 2nd and 3rd rounders than they otherwise would have. The pool obviously increases with the number of comp/sandwich picks each team has. But now if a team loses a pick to free agent signings that pick just kinda disappears and a new pick shows up in the following sandwich round. So that will screw with the calculus a wee bit, but not too much.

Yeah, like I said, it's kind of a guideline. When we get closer to the draft, it'll be helpful to use this to see how the Cubs may plan on spending their money.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Sorry I haven't made any new posts over the last week. Had a death in my fiance's family and have been dealing with that situation. Expect some stuff over the next few days. I'm going to start diving into some more lesser known guys and high schoolers.