2013 MLB Draft Thread: Cubs with #2 pick

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Definitely think this is something missing for us to track the various prospect the Cubs may look at leading up to the draft. I've really enjoyed reading and contributing to the one in the Bears' forum.

I'd like to use this thread to share YouTube vids, scouting reports, post up various mock drafts, etc. If you guys would like to help or contribute, feel free. This is, after all, a group effort :smug:

Here's important stuff (and the basics, too).

2013 MLB Draft (June 6th -- June 8th)

First round order with potential compensatory selections

1. Houston Astros
2. Chicago Cubs
3. Colorado Rockies
4. Minnesota Twins
5. Cleveland Indians
6. Miami Marlins
7. Boston Red Sox
8. Kansas City Royals
9. Pittsburgh Pirates*
10. Toronto Blue Jays
11. New York Mets
12. Seattle Mariners
13. San Diego Padres
14. Pittsburgh Pirates
15. Arizona Diamondbacks
16. Philadelphia Phillies
17. Milwaukee Brewers
18. Chicago White Sox
19. Los Angeles Dodgers
20. St. Louis Cardinals
21. Detroit Tigers
22. Los Angeles Angels
23. Tampa Bay Rays
24. Baltimore Orioles
25. Texas Rangers
26. Oakland Athletics
27. San Francisco Giants
28. Atlanta Braves
29. New York Yankees
30. Cincinnati Reds
31. Washington Nationals

Compensatory round
St. Louis Cardinals
Tampa Bay Rays
Texas Rangers
Atlanta Braves
New York Yankees
New York Yankees
Washington Nationals

* denotes the Pirates getting an additional pick for not reaching an agreement with their first-round selection from 2012, Mark Appel.

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Yankees will at most get two compensation picks because they resigned Kuroda. St. Louis, the Yankees, Washington and Atlanta might not get compensation still because their players haven't signed a deal yet.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oooh. Decent idea.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The Yankees will at most get two compensation picks because they resigned Kuroda. St. Louis, the Yankees, Washington and Atlanta might not get compensation still because their players haven't signed a deal yet.

I forgot about Kuroda resigning. I'll edit the first post. I'll adjust the compensatory picks as those particular players resign or sign elsewhere.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Watch list:
Pitchers: Stanek, Appel, Manaea
Outfielders: Meadows, Frazier
Infielders: Bryant

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Don't forget the Bullshit "Competitive Balance" picks

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
MyMLBDraft.com has their most recent mock first-round up. They have the Cubs selecting Arkansas starting pitcher Ryne Stanek with the second overall pick.

View the entire first-round mock draft here.

Information on Ryne Stanek

RYNE_STANEK_t598.JPG

Link to his University of Arkansas bio

Short bio and breakdown of him at Minorleagueball.com

Video highlights of him pitching against LSU this past season
[video=youtube;X77G1_Y6vUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X77G1_Y6vUc[/video]

Reactions: X

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
From what I've seen, it won't be Appel. The Cubs passed on his last year and he seems to never sign. My guess he's a Boras client and that's all wrong right there.

They could go with a HS pitcher with the #2 overall pick, but I think a college pitcher is more logical. You never want to reach and take best available, but I think a pitcher will be drafted.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
Way way to early to talk draft half the kids who will go first 3 rounds are currently unknowns so much will change from now until June.

I like Clint Frazier's swing but so much will change in the coming year wont know who I want until late may.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Way way to early to talk draft half the kids who will go first 3 rounds are currently unknowns so much will change from now until June.

I like Clint Frazier's swing but so much will change in the coming year wont know who I want until late may.

It's never too early to talk draft :smug:

Reactions: X

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

It's too early to figure out who exactly to take, but not too early to at least get some scouting reports together given available information.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Way too early for this...

I'm so glad someone decided to do this for baseball. I had considered it privately, but honestly just don't know enough about the ins and outs of the MLB draft. I look forward to participating in this thread, primarily just to learn about the prospects (which is precisely the reason I started the Bears Mock Draft Database's). Well done, Jos

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Might be a good idea to post some top prospect lists from MLB, Sickels, Baseball America etc. whenever those become more available or updated.

EdEdens12

Liked Posts:
I like the idea of Stanek, don't like the idea of Appel or Manaea.

Stanek brings a high upside college arm, and he pitched in arguably the most competitive baseball conference. He is much more signable than Appel and the Cubs can't afford to draft and not sign a top pick at this point of the rebuilding process, even if they would get a top 2 compensation pick in 2014.

Appel might be the most well known but there were questions last year as to if he even had the ceiling of a true ace. He also doesn't have a true out pitch and rarely called his own games last year. Manaea might have upside but the competition he faces in college is not nearly the same as Stanek.

I'd consider the fielders but the bottom line is the Cubs system is shallow on the pitching end, and they don't have an impact guy coming up through the minors. I know you don't draft for need, but it makes sense in this scenario

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Might be a good idea to post some top prospect lists from MLB, Sickels, Baseball America etc. whenever those become more available or updated.

I plan on making a few more posts tonight when I get home from work. Planned on concentrating on some of the more well-known pitchers, since we'd all agree that's probably what the Cubs will go for with their first-round selection. Maybe tomorrow I'll start diving into a few more lesser-known guys and some high schoolers.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think it's a draft for need per se. It's just that a few of the top talents projected to be available happen to be pitchers that can fulfill a need. Nothing wrong with that.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't think it's a draft for need per se. It's just that a few of the top talents projected to be available happen to be pitchers that can fulfill a need. Nothing wrong with that.

True, but I think with the money the Cubs would have to commit to the #2 pick, it would be wise to give that money to a college-groomed pitcher who's closer to making a major league debut within the next two years. Pitching is the glaring weakness of the farm system and if we're going to shell out premium dollars that high up in the draft, I'd rather make sure it fills a need. Again, that's just my opinion. Baseball's draft is so much different than the other sports because guys aren't counted on to be ready immediately.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
True, but I think with the money the Cubs would have to commit to the #2 pick, it would be wise to give that money to a college-groomed pitcher who's closer to making a major league debut within the next two years. Pitching is the glaring weakness of the farm system and if we're going to shell out premium dollars that high up in the draft, I'd rather make sure it fills a need. Again, that's just my opinion. Baseball's draft is so much different than the other sports because guys aren't counted on to be ready immediately.

for some reason, I can't add to your reputation...or I would have 208924 times today...at least 3x in this thread.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

The college guy also has more stats against tougher competition that they can use to evaluate so there's nothing wrong with taking the college guy over the high school guy as long as those stats are crazy good.