Aaron Kromer Named Bears OC/OL Coach

OnemanWolfpack

Liked Posts:
From the Saints' homepage

Entering his fifth season with the Saints, Aaron Kromer brings 22 years of coaching experience to the coaching staff, the majority of it developing and tutoring offensive linemen. He’s also responsible for the design and blocking schemes of the rushing attack.

After initially tutoring the Saints running backs in 2008, Kromer has tutored the Saints offensive line the past three seasons. The former college offensive lineman has developed the skills of seven Pro Bowl blockers during his time in the NFL, including three in 2011. Known for his teaching skills and attention to detail, five Saints blockers have been selected to the Pro Bowl under Kromer’s tutelage. The line has allowed just 70 sacks over the past three seasons, the third-lowest total in the NFL. In both 2009 and 2011, the New Orleans offensive line has been honored with the Madden Most Valuable Protectors Award, awarded annually to the best offensive line in the NFL.

After tutoring an offensive line in which all five players had started 22 consecutive regular season games, Kromer played a vital role in the development of two first-time starters in T Zach Strief and C Brian de la Puente in 2011. The line allowed just 24 sacks, tied for the second-fewest in the NFL, and played an instrumental role in blocking for an offense that set the league’s single-season yardage record as well as several other NFL marks, with a resurgent run game ranked sixth in the league, grinding out 132.9 yards per game, their most productive season since 1987. The guard tandem of Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks were selected as Pro Bowl starters and voted Associated Press All-Pro, while T Jermon Bushrod was selected to his first Pro Bowl. It marked the second time in three years that three of Kromer’s linemen were selected to the NFL’s All-Star Game.

The offensive line allowed only 26 sacks in 2010, the fifth-lowest total in the NFL. Evans and Nicks were selected to the Pro Bowl, marking Nicks’ first appearance.

In his first season in his new position in 2009, a trio of Kromer’s linemen were selected to the Pro Bowl, each for the first time: Evans, C Jonathan Goodwin and T Jon Stinchcomb. Thanks in part to the line’s strong performance, New Orleans was ranked first in the NFL both in total yards per game (403.8) and points scored (510). Churning out 131.6 yards per game on the ground, the New Orleans running game was ranked sixth in the league. The offensive line surrendered only 20 sacks, the NFL’s fourth-lowest total.

Kromer’s achievements in leading the running backs in 2008 were many. RB Pierre Thomas emerged as a top threat over the last half of the season, rushing for 625 yards, hauling in 31 passes and scoring 12 touchdowns. As a unit, the running back corps combined for 2,472 yards from scrimmage and 28 TDs.

Kromer came to New Orleans after a three-year stint with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including the final two as senior assistant/offensive line coach. In two of Kromer’s three seasons at Tampa Bay, the Buccaneers captured the NFC South division title. In 2007, he worked with an offensive line that cleared the way for the Buccaneers to rush for 1,872 yards and average nearly 327 yards of offense per game, as G Arron Sears earned All-Rookie honors. In 2006, despite the unit losing a total of 23 starts from injuries, Kromer contributed to the preparation of a pair of rookie starters weekly and Tampa Bay cracked the 1,500-yard rushing milestone.

He was a senior assistant for the Buccaneers in 2005, working primarily with the offensive line. Tampa Bay surpassed the 100-yard rushing plateau in 10 contests, and Kromer helped polish the skills of All-Rookie selection G Dan Buenning. Following the season, he was selected by former Bucs coach Jon Gruden to attend the NFL’s Coaches Career Development Symposium.

Kromer arrived in Tampa Bay after spending four seasons with Oakland as offensive line coach from 2002-04 and assistant offensive line coach in 2001, where he was a part of two AFC West Champion squads. The Raiders’ offensive front was the foundation of a unit that led the NFL in total offense in 2002 – the same season the club advanced to Super Bowl XXXVII.

While in Oakland, Kromer tutored Pro Bowl selections T Lincoln Kennedy (2001-02) and C Barrett Robbins (2002) and also coached 2004 All-Rookie selection T Robert Gallery. Prior to joining the Raiders – his first NFL assignment–he served as offensive line coach at Northwestern from 1999- 2000, with the Wildcats leading the Big Ten in total offense his final season.

He had previously spent nine seasons (1990-98) at Miami University (Ohio), his alma mater, where Kromer gained a wealth of experience and perspective while holding several assignments. He coached the offensive line in 1998, after previously working with the tight ends/H-Backs, defensive line and special teams. Kromer was a graduate assistant at the school from 1990-91.

Kromer lettered at Miami at offensive tackle from 1987-89 and served as a captain his last two seasons – one of only four players in the history of the program to serve as a two-time captain. He was a recipient of the National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame Scholar-Athlete Award and graduated with a degree in education. Kromer earned his master’s degree in education administration in 1991.

Kromer and his wife, Dawn, have a son, Zachary, and a daughter, Brooke.

fip00

Liked Posts:
Heard on Sirius NFL Radio about 2 days ago: Rich Gannon said he knows for a fact Marc will be calling his own plays. "I imagine that.. no, I know for a fact, that Marc will call his own plays. That's what got him the job in the first place" something along those lines. I specifically recall "I know for a fact" was said.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
The guy has a good track record with a solid OL since he took over OL duties. He will have some young guys to develop and likely plug in a solid FA or 2 into the lineup.

So who will be QB coach now that Bates is gone?

Is Bates gone for sure yet?

iBearsLX

Liked Posts:
Seems like a good hire, but why the double job title? It seems like the O-Line needs a full time coach. Maybe it was a way to lure the guy here by giving him the OC title, but in fact he will mostly focus on the O line?

Considering the amount of decision making I expect Trestman to take on offense, quite possibly.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is kind of like getting Sean Payton. Emery for Prez!!!

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
And Tice was the nfl guru of O-linemen. How'd that work out?

That was just a myth perpetuated by homers here. Jax oline under tice in 2009 was ranked 30th in pass blocking, 23rd overall

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
One thing nice about Saints OL.. they didn't just draft 1st round picks or sign free agents.

They developed Goodwin, who was cut by the Jets as an undrafted player. He became starting center before he was signed as a free agent by the 49ers. They also developed Carl Nicks as a 5th rounder, Jahre Evans as a 4th rounder. And Bushrod was a 4th rounder that they turned into a very good left tackle... and yes, he would be a great guy to sign and bring along. Bushrod is only 28 and only gives up 3-4 sacks a year in a heavy pass offense and will be comfortable with Kromer. Also, Mickey Loomis says it will be tough to get Bushrod signed due to their cap situation... so I agree that this could be a good potential move.

This guy knows what he's looking at.. that is for sure. He knows how to evaluate OL and get the most out of them. And it appears you don't have to just sign 1st round picks. I expect us to load up on undrafted players and mid round picks. And its quite possible he can bring a bit of intelligence about how the Saints run their offense so efficiently.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Good hire. He stepped up after the "Mutiny from the Bounty" and put a team on the field.....even though the "D" was a mess......note that this guy knows how to scheme for run blocking......would be nice to actually get off a bus.....any bus.....running.....

Liked Posts:
That was just a myth perpetuated by homers here. Jax oline under tice in 2009 was ranked 30th in pass blocking, 23rd overall

Exactly! I never really got why this guy was labeled an offensive line guru, when he had never been an offensive linemen, or technically, even been an offensive line coach before he came to Chicago. Not to mention, I wanted to shoot myself in the head every time I heard a game time commentator reference to what a great job Tice was doing while working with the offensive line, when, statistically, he actually made it worse than it was when he showed up.

Anyone who was paying close attention, knew right off the bat that this moron was no guru with anything but looking like a Jersey goon. Thank God this buffoon is gone.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:

Actually, it did end up being a myth, but it was perpetuated by people in the league and then reiterated here.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Actually, it did end up being a myth, but it was perpetuated by people in the league and then reiterated here.

Actually, it was reiterated by people who couldn't think or look it up for themselves. Herd mentality is no excuse. I was iffy about Tice's abilities as OL coach during and after 2010, and I was solidly opposed to his becoming OC.

Neolithic

Liked Posts:
he was fat and stupid, and in the NFL that makes you a lineman, even if you never were a lineman. I have no idea how he got as far as he did to be honest.

Stalin828

Liked Posts:
I am excited. I think this hire is going to turn out fantastic, or it will blow up in Emerys face. I don't see much middle ground. Especially after firing a moderately successful coach. Hopefully Trestman completely cleans out the offensive staff and brings in his own guys. It looks like he will. I hope Marinelli buys into Trestman as coach, and doesn't have any loyalty issues because of the Lovie firing.

How long until September? This is going to be one hell of a long offseason.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Actually, it was reiterated by people who couldn't think or look it up for themselves. Herd mentality is no excuse. I was iffy about Tice's abilities as OL coach during and after 2010, and I was solidly opposed to his becoming OC.

I bought into the whole OL garbage until after 2011. I was also very opposed to him becoming OC and would've rather kept Martz if Tice were the option.