PS4 Discussion Thread

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
MY biggest reason for getting an xbox and sticking with xbox is the controller. I think having both the analog on the bottom of the controller is really uncomfortable to play.

I agree with this. I know it sounds a little silly, but I used my Xbox a ton more than my PS because of the controller. The PS controller would actually make my wrists sore, whereas I had no such problem with the Xbox controller.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Can someone explain to me what the deal is with the PSN on PS4? I heard that you have to pay to do online multiplayer stuff like with XBox Live or something.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can someone explain to me what the deal is with the PSN on PS4? I heard that you have to pay to do online multiplayer stuff like with XBox Live or something.

Yes, to play online you need the plus. I think it was 50 dollars. They give free downloadable games from time to time. My understanding, they did it because XBox was killing them on live play with its servers and everything. Sony wanted to even the playing field and needed cash flow to do it so they enforced the plus. I will say the difference between ps3 live connection and ps4 is pretty substantial. I dont get dropped near as much and I get into matchmaking quicker.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
$50 for a year. It's actually worth it, since they give you free games each month. Nothing big, but good enough. I did the 3 month plan for $18 and was satisfied with online play, and more, the free games, that I canceled the 3 month from automatic renewal and signed into the year for $50.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
$50 for a year. It's actually worth it, since they give you free games each month. Nothing big, but good enough. I did the 3 month plan for $18 and was satisfied with online play, and more, the free games, that I canceled the 3 month from automatic renewal and signed into the year for $50.
It's my understanding that those free games you get are only playable so long as you have the PSN+ account. So if I had it for a year then cancelled for whatever reason, I'd lose access to those games. I guess it makes sense though.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
It's my understanding that those free games you get are only playable so long as you have the PSN+ account. So if I had it for a year then cancelled for whatever reason, I'd lose access to those games. I guess it makes sense though.

That's why I got it for 3 months first. If I didn't like it, no big deal, only $18 for 3 months. Decent way to test it out.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Well I read this page and got a handful of ideas lol. Just trying to see if any fresh ideas would surface or any kind of helpful info would result of the bump/specific genres. I'm not very up to date on what's going on in the gaming world.

Batman definitely may be worth looking into. Was also considering that Shadows of Mordor game.
If you haven't gotten shawdows of mordor yet wait. there is a $50 game of the year version coming next month that includes all DLC.

For PS+ it often goes on sales for $40 throughout the year, I would suggest picking it up then.

While you will not be able to access the games if you cancel or do not renew your subscription, they are all tied to your PS+ account and once you reactivate, they are all there again.

Also, while you do need it to play online, a lot of games I believe mostly the free to play types, let you play online without the subscription.

Also, and hopefully not to anger anyone who just bought one, but Dell has a great deal on a bundle right now with LoU and the really nice headset included for $400 via reddit. http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=a8246253

They cheapest I've seen that headset is $70

Aso

Liked Posts:
Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes is a free PSPlus game for June. Any chance this game is any good? Most games they've given out I haven't been a fan of.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you haven't played any of the previous MGS games, you'll probably be lost.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
And even if you have played them, you'll probably still be lost. Dat story.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Guerilla Games announced a new IP exclusive to the PS4 and it really came out of nowhere. Looks amazing.

[video=youtube;Fkg5UVTsKCE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkg5UVTsKCE[/video]

Ton

Liked Posts:
I just bought a PS4 like 2 weeks ago.

I beat TLoU for the first time, rented Tomb Raider (aka bought it used from GameStop and will return it, lol)... probably will finish that by tomorrow.

I'm probably going to move onto Shadows of Mordor, but since Mass said it's coming out next month with all DLC I'm gonna wait on that.

What else would you guys recommend? I never owned a PS3 so, is it worth getting that streaming service I heard about somewhere? Any other remasters worth a shot?

I gotta say, I'm stoked for Star Wars: Battlefront and No Man's Sky... pretty much trying to hold myself over until those two take over my life.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I just bought a PS4 like 2 weeks ago.

I beat TLoU for the first time, rented Tomb Raider (aka bought it used from GameStop and will return it, lol)... probably will finish that by tomorrow.

I'm probably going to move onto Shadows of Mordor, but since Mass said it's coming out next month with all DLC I'm gonna wait on that.

What else would you guys recommend? I never owned a PS3 so, is it worth getting that streaming service I heard about somewhere? Any other remasters worth a shot?

I gotta say, I'm stoked for Star Wars: Battlefront and No Man's Sky... pretty much trying to hold myself over until those two take over my life.

Yeah, but I said that in April, it should be out now, haha. http://www.amazon.com/Middle-Earth-...1437064384&sr=8-2&keywords=shadow's+of+mordor

I love Diablo 3... but that's just me. Obviously there is GTAV, I liked it when I was playing it. need to get back into it. I loved TLoU, they have DLC for that, and the multiplayer is actually really solid. Rocket Leauge is brand new and has been having some server problems but I was quickly addicted to it's face paced fun. It's basically soccer with cars.

Don't bother with PS Now, it's still way too expensive to be worth it from what I've seen. Can't wait for No Man's Sky... I see a lot of people who I play destiny with playing Elder Scrolls Online... Deopends on what games you're looking for really. PS+ kinda suchs recently, but it's been pretty good for building my game library. But of course I have a PS4, PS3, and Vita. so I get a lot of cross by stuff. Which you can still get with just a PS4 though.

Reactions: Ton

Ton

Liked Posts:
Yeah, but I said that in April, it should be out now, haha. http://www.amazon.com/Middle-Earth-...1437064384&sr=8-2&keywords=shadow's+of+mordor

I love Diablo 3... but that's just me. Obviously there is GTAV, I liked it when I was playing it. need to get back into it. I loved TLoU, they have DLC for that, and the multiplayer is actually really solid. Rocket Leauge is brand new and has been having some server problems but I was quickly addicted to it's face paced fun. It's basically soccer with cars.

Don't bother with PS Now, it's still way too expensive to be worth it from what I've seen. Can't wait for No Man's Sky... I see a lot of people who I play destiny with playing Elder Scrolls Online... Deopends on what games you're looking for really. PS+ kinda suchs recently, but it's been pretty good for building my game library. But of course I have a PS4, PS3, and Vita. so I get a lot of cross by stuff. Which you can still get with just a PS4 though.

Quick rant on my gaming experience:

I was always a Nintendo guy... Owned every Nintendo console from NES on. I wasn't a huge fan of the Wii, but still had some good games and I gave them another chance by purchasing a Wii U since it looked like it was headed in the right direction. Unfortunately, the Wii U was just such a disaster, and with E3 this year being a total joke, I'm basically done with them for this generation. I still play SSB4 pretty much every weekend and MK8 from time to time, but that's about it... Nintendo fanboys can talk about the 1st party line-up being "unique" all they want, but 75% of those "unique" games are geared toward children -- which is fine, honestly, I still love Zelda, Mario, DK, Metroid and the IP's they have developed over time, I don't want those to be mature titles... those games are pure fun and you never have to worry about those games being half-assed or unplayable upon release... they are polished and play well. The problem is, if I want to play COD or something more mature, I don't want some 2nd rate port that barely works (eventually, almost every 3rd party has abandoned them anyway). Not only that, but they've taken a horrible direction when they introduced "amiibo"... it's basically DLC on toys. I'm a fucking adult, I don't want to scan in a toy to unlock content or play a game. They need a balance of both 1st and 3rd party and they also need to realize that the fan-base that grew up with Nintendo is not young anymore, and until then, they won't get a dime from me again. They need a huge change in that company or they will be the next SEGA, but if they pull it off, they could be the next Disney.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the PS4, I feel like it still has a decent catalog of platformers, action-adventures, etc.. etc.. but also has a ton of 3rd party support, great 1st party titles that aren't just COD rehashes (hello Xbox), and a really nice interface with real functionality. It gives me everything I'm going to need this generation, from Ratchet and Clank as that platforming goodness to Shadows of Mordor if I want to blood stain my TV. That is the real success. I don't care much for the gimmicks provided, such as Vue, the Camera, VR, Vita off-TV play etc.. etc.. although they are all a nice add-on if I decide to use them at some point.

I'll take a look at Diablo III and I haven't checked out TLoU online yet, so we'll see how that goes this weekend.

Last edited:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I should be acquiring a PS4 from my buddy in a few week's time. Probably going to pick up Shadows of Mordor, GTA V, Destiny, and the latest NBA 2k when it comes out. I think I'll just borrow The Last Of Us from my other buddy. Will definitely pick up Star Wars Battlefront when it comes out.

WHAT ELSE SHOULD I GET?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Honestly it's a pretty open ended question at this point now that there are plenty of good games. It really depends on what you like. We're all going to have our own personal likes and preferences, I could rattle off a shit ton of games I like but you may not even think they are worth looking up.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Honestly it's a pretty open ended question at this point now that there are plenty of good games. It really depends on what you like. We're all going to have our own personal likes and preferences, I could rattle off a shit ton of games I like but you may not even think they are worth looking up.
Subjectivity? Surely this concept does not exist! :lol:

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Subjectivity? Surely this concept does not exist! :lol:
Haha... If you're looking for AAA titles you hit a lot of the good ones, I would say there was also a rather lengthy discussion on dragon age inquisiion but I just ordered it so I can't vouch for it. If you're looking for indy type games Transistor is great, Rocket League as I mentioned. A fantasitc one man show game called Dust: An Elysian Tale
probably a bunch others I'd have to think about.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Playstation.com having an E3 sale right now. Games are 40-60% off.