PS4 Discussion Thread

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most posts have been updated with a video of the game that was announced.

and here's a tech demo from Quantic Dream (Heavy Rain creators, currently working on Beyond Two Souls)

[video=youtube;YKfHSz44Gtw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKfHSz44Gtw[/video]

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Side by side comparison of the DS3 and DS4 triggers

IfchwpO.jpg

Bear06

Liked Posts:
Did they even hint at how this thing is going to cost? Should I start auctioning off limbs now?

It should be around $400 IMO. Sony learned it the hard way back in 2006 not to price it at $600.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
PS4 won't be backwards compatible with any of your physical or digital PS3/PSN games since there won't be a Cell in any of the PS4's.

They did say that they could make those available to you via their streaming service if they wanted to since they have records of you purchasing them (on the PSN, not physical copies).

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
From Greg Miller, stuff he reported on today from GDC.

1. PSN friends limit will increase.
2. PS4 will have a "very large" hard drive.
3. Buttons have changed. L2/R2 are curved so you don't accidentally press the triggers anymore (fast forward on Netflix)
4. Controllers charge when the console is off.
5. Headsets with every console.
6. PS Eye will enhance the user experience.
7. Optional social network linking. (using your real name on the console)
8. Recording is there for every game. Developers don't have to put in any special code.
9. Remote play is much, much better with the Vita.
10. The light bar on the controller designates which player you are. Player 1 is blue, 2 is red, 3 is green, and 4 is pink. Also will be able to display your health bar or gun muzzle flash.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Whoa, just noticed something. The ASIC's all have killer clocks per die.

:thinking:

This means the system will be both scalable, and be able to do sequential background tasks without bothering the CPU. I know the Bonaire chip that is going to be found in the xbox 720 is available to purchase now for PC, and because of how AMD fusion works.....

Whoa, we're going to have two competing consoles with compatible execution. Porting a game over from one console to the other will be super simple. Jaguar is a lightweight compared to the 8350s that you can buy now, and Bonaire is pretty amazing, but also a lightweight because of it's transistor count per die compared to AMD's better SI chips. However, the ASICs are the real magic trick.

Not only would both the PS4 and the xbox 720 be able to share nearly all titles with the easiest part to game porting(with PC as well), but now both consoles can scale up. Meaning, Sony or Microsoft can release an upgraded model in a short period of time. A real upgrade too, not just one of those cost-saver upgrades.

Basically, these will be the most hackable consoles ever. Either or both. You wont need special XBlive or PSN purchases to play old games. Homebrew will make EVERYTHING possible through emulation. This includes every console ever, minus last gen(I doubt PS4 will play 360 games, and vise versa).

I can't wait to ATX a PS4.

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;tn607OoVoRw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tn607OoVoRw[/video]

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you're good at piecing together images in your head, here's the first look at what the PS4 will actually look like.

[video=youtube;QjXU1anoC5Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjXU1anoC5Y[/video]

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Two more free-to-play MMO's will also be on the PS4. DC Universe Online, and PlanetSide 2.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looks like Sony is getting another exclusive from the group that made Demons Souls (and the multiplat Dark Souls)

5aBFjaT.jpg

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Sony needs better titles in queue, and soon. So far, it looks decent, but not good enough to make people wait in line for 2 days to get a console on release day. This looks more like 5-hour lines.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies

I played Warframe on PC a bit, janky as fuck. Granted, maybe it just needs more work. Wasn't super impressed though.

Whoa, just noticed something. The ASIC's all have killer clocks per die.

:thinking:

This means the system will be both scalable, and be able to do sequential background tasks without bothering the CPU. I know the Bonaire chip that is going to be found in the xbox 720 is available to purchase now for PC, and because of how AMD fusion works.....

Whoa, we're going to have two competing consoles with compatible execution. Porting a game over from one console to the other will be super simple. Jaguar is a lightweight compared to the 8350s that you can buy now, and Bonaire is pretty amazing, but also a lightweight because of it's transistor count per die compared to AMD's better SI chips. However, the ASICs are the real magic trick.

Not only would both the PS4 and the xbox 720 be able to share nearly all titles with the easiest part to game porting(with PC as well), but now both consoles can scale up. Meaning, Sony or Microsoft can release an upgraded model in a short period of time. A real upgrade too, not just one of those cost-saver upgrades.

Basically, these will be the most hackable consoles ever. Either or both. You wont need special XBlive or PSN purchases to play old games. Homebrew will make EVERYTHING possible through emulation. This includes every console ever, minus last gen(I doubt PS4 will play 360 games, and vise versa).

I can't wait to ATX a PS4.

Switching to non-Special person, standardized architecture is the smartest thing Sony and MS did. It SHOULD significantly reduce software developments costs, make porting a million times easier, should make getting more juice out of the hardware easier, AND iterating on hardware will actually be possible, reducing costs to make the hardware.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
PS4 is $399.

But it also sounds like PS+ will be required for online play. Still unsure about that though.

Sony killed it.

PS4 supports used games. No restrictions. Crowd erupted. You can trade, lend, sell, everything you want. Crowd chanting "Sony". You don't need to be connected online to play, or for any type of authentication. Won't need to check in online periodically. Won't stop working if you haven't authenticated within 24 hours. LOL