What Are You Playing Right Now? (Gaming Thread)

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I went back to Assassin's Creed Syndicate.... Bigfoot reminded me of the game and I realized I never finished it last year.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah I'd only hit questions marks to the extent they are on your way or connected to a quest. Otherwise, the best thing to do is maybe look online for the locations of places of power as they give you an extra ability point. Otherwise, you will always end up getting better gear by simply downing the various quests and the scavenger hunts for Witcher Gear.

There is more than enough hours if you just do every main and side question as well as all the Witcher contracts. The Witcher contracts in particular are important if you do an alchemy build as they provide you with the ingredients you need to make decoctions and a few of them are tied to achievements.

The Blood and Wine expansion also was pretty good storywise and gives you the best gear but you need to be a really high level. I'd end by saying if you really love the story and characters and are looking for a good fantasy series to read, the books from which the game is based are pretty good and really delve into all the backstory of the characters which makes playing the games a lot more enjoyable.

Lol, I just started the first book, someone on reddit posted all of the books in ebook form on google drive so I took advantage, so far so good!

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Started playing Pillars of Eternity again and have been loving it.

So, I shit all over the game for its combat mechanics. Which I stand by. Game uses complexity to generate difficulty in the base mechanics which imo is stupid and only results in annoyance. Obviously some people don't mind it, but to me the massive volume of status effects, buffs, debuffs, damage types, and resistances is just way overboard and gets to the point where you spend more time in menus and reading tooltips than anything else. Fucking tedious and annoying imo. Add to that terrible pathing and an obscure, bizarre aggro system and to me the combat totally ruined the game.

However... jumping back in, I changed the difficulty from hard to normal, and holy fuck what a difference. Basically, on normal, all that complexity is still there, but you can largely ignore it. Which is great. So OK, now the combat is a little too easy, but fuck, its fun now. I'm full on back to loving this game. Its a shame the base combat system is so cluttered cause if it was refined, this could be a classic game imo.

Either way, its absolutely worth a playthrough, though I 100% recommend easy or normal difficulty. You don't wanna have to wade deep into the combat mechanics. But if you stay shallow in the combat, the experience as a whole is pretty great.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
pillars is definitely worth playing, but the combat is still a mess and on normal still requires BS mico managing to beat the last boss. you need to make sure you have these spells, these scrolls, do this, do that...etc. just to beat him. its nonsense. in the end its the only game i ever bumped down to easy just to finish, which i did just to beat the last boss. and the writing is also a mess.

with that said i enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than divinity original sin. i simply do not get the high marks this game received. it starts out well in the first city, even if the style is a little to childish for my taste, but once you get out into the world the game becomes more and more of a slog as you go. its pretty much all combat, and its so damn slow at times. ive honestly lost the desire to play, which never happened in pillars, at least not until the final boss. the original divine divinity was ten times better.

after playing through the first two dark souls i was in the mood for a more traditional crpg with a heavy focus on RPing and a balanced amount of combat, so i went with divinity based off what i had heard. but like i said, after the first city, its all combat. i would have just just gone with dragons dogma dark arisen if i wanted a that, at least that game is moody and atmospheric which is a must if its going to essentially be all combat imo.

anyway, now i think i might just give path of exile a go. its not really what im looking for and its mechanics seem convoluted as fuck, but i downloaded it a long time a go and never really got into it, so i might as well give it another go.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Path of Exile is fun, but its not a crpg.

Its a gear grinder in the vein of diablo. Close to zero story. Clicky real time combat is all there is.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Path of Exile is fun, but its not a crpg.

Its a gear grinder in the vein of diablo. Close to zero story. Clicky real time combat is all there is.

yeah, i know. that why i havent gotten into it. plus everything about path seems to be needlessly complex and tedious. just fucking convoluted. the currency with vendor recipes is fucking tedious and unnecessary, builds rely on min-maxing and farming the perfect gear and its easy to fuck your build. overall it just seems like more of a hassle to get into than anything.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah. But getting weird currency and figuring out weird builds and min-maxing is all there really is to the game. In terms of advancement. I had fun with it for about a month, then got kinda bored. Same with diablo 3.

I also was looking for a crpg and couldnt really find anything, which is why I went back to pillars. But there is that Torment game that will hopefully come out soon. Hopefully that is cool.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Yeah. But getting weird currency and figuring out weird builds and min-maxing is all there really is to the game. In terms of advancement. I had fun with it for about a month, then got kinda bored. Same with diablo 3.

I also was looking for a crpg and couldnt really find anything, which is why I went back to pillars. But there is that Torment game that will hopefully come out soon. Hopefully that is cool.

i played a bit of path earlier. got one character to level 14 and tried out all the other classes. i had only played an hour or so in the past. its alright, kinda fun and addicting, but like i said i dont dig how convoluted everything is, but like you said, thats the game. i also just dont really dig any of the classes and heir spells/skills all that much. ive read that it doesnt really get good until after pouring dozens of hours into the game. i guess arpgs just arent really my thing. but there can be something appealing about them at the same time.

i dig like torch light 2. i played through once with one character and then rolled another playing through twice with that one and getting to level 99 and then stopped at the last area right before maxing the character. i usually dont play through games more than once, but thats a big part of arpgs. ill play some more path and see how it goes. i also downloaded marvel heroes a while ago and never really played it. im going to give that a go as well.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
I pulled the trigger on this ridiculous gamestop.com deal on an Xbox One, It was the Xbone Gears of War HD bundle, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and any $60 game of my choice, Forza Horizon 3, for $230. I'm a big PlayStation fanboy but I couldn't pass this up. Forza Horizon 3 is awesome fun and it looks great. It has an awesome sense of speed.

Some negatives though, compared to the PS4 the Xbone is super slow in home menus and the UI sucks. Just an opinion of course but it is very sluggish. I didn't realize how slow the PS3 ran until I got a PS4 and the Xbone is more comparable to the PS3 than the 4 in that regard. Yeesh.

It appears that even when you have a physical copy of a game you still have to download the game in its entirety onto your console, which is ridiculous . I had to wait 45 minutes to even start Forza Horizon 3 (the game opened and started to play at 24%) and I have internet connection at 55 Mbps. That's really bad. Gears of War took 6 hours to download...

Anyway, its a secondary console for me and I got it on my terms, pretty disappointing so far though as far as the console itself goes.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are game disks for xbox just basically a registration number for the download now?

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
I think so, I'm not sure. Forza Horizon 3 was a 46 GB download so I would assume so.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Been playing Dead by Daylight lately. CSGO has finally pissed me off to the point of saying fuck this game and taking a break from it. DbD is a pretty simple game in terms of how its played and its play style yet its still difficult to win.

There are 4 survivors and one killer per match. I never play as the killer as that is boring to me. As a survivor you go around the maps avoiding being spotted and attacked by the killer. The objective is to repair 5 generators to power up the two exits so you can open them and escape. Killers are trying to find and attack survivors so they are injured and crawling on the ground at which point they pick them up and take them to a hook so they can be hung. Other survivors can save you/take you off the hook but most of the time killers will put you on the hook and camp right in front of you until you bleed out and die. Survivors can sabotage all of the hooks outdoors making it difficult for the killer to take you to the only hooks which are not sabotage-able in the basement/dungeon on every map.

It takes 2 basic attacks by a killer to knock you down and pick you up or if they have an upgraded attack then they can knock you down in one shot. Survivors that have been knocked down and picked up by a killer have the option to wiggle free by spamming A and D until the bar fills. This only ends up working if survivors have sabotaged enough hooks and a killer can't get you to a hook fast enough. When a killer puts you onto a hook you are given the opportunity to attempt an escape on your own to lift yourself off the hook. Doing so however is a risk because a failed attempt drains your life faster than not attempting an escape. Once the victim has bled out half of their life on the hook then they are forced to spam the space bar to struggle from being killed. Generally speaking you want to last as long as you can on a hook to allow your fellow survivors time to get to you and save you.

Survivors can heal you and you can heal them if you've/they've been injured by an attack, wiggled free from a killer or were just saved from a hook. While injured survivors will make noise complaining of the pain, running around will alert killers of your last known location as you leave a visible trail for them to follow. You can open chests located throughout different areas of each map which contain med kits to heal yourself/others, toolboxes to sabotage hooks or repair generators faster, skeleton key to open the escape hatch if you found it or flashlights to blind/stun killers.

When survivors are repairing generators, healing themselves/others or sabotaging hooks there are skill checks that randomly pop up on screen which is a dial with a needle that spins and you have to hit the space bar to stop the needle on a section of the dial. Miss the skill check and a generator will make a loud explosive noise alerting the killer. Miss the skill check healing and the player will shriek alerting the killer. Miss a skill check sabotaging a hook and you will also make noise alerting the killer. Here is the kicker though. Sabotaging hooks and repairing generators while nailing all the skill checks still won't safeguard you from the killer learning your location as he is alerted every time a victim sabotages a hook or repairs a generator.

Every map has an escape hatch that spawns in a different location every match but the hatch can only be opened by either being lucky enough to find the skeleton key in a chest or by repairing at least 3 generators and being the last survivor left on the map alive/hasn't escaped.

So TL;DR killers kill and victims try to survive and escape. Its much more difficult to be a survivor than a killer. Game play can both be simple or complicated depending on how you play it. You can be a team player or you can be that asshole that takes advantage of everyone getting attacked to fix generators and escape.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
still playing path of exile and marvel heros. they are pretty addicting. I gave up on my witch firestom build in path because going back to diablo2 i always wanted to try a cyclone build, so i finally got one up and running in path. i still dont like how convoluted everything is in path, nor the diablo approach of having to play the game multiple times by design to level to endgame. i dont know if ill even get there because i might get bored by then. but im following a build guid just to make sure my build is end game viable which is another thing i dont like, the fact that everything is so complex and covoluted that you need guides for everything.

as for marvel heros, i should like path more since im not into marvel while paths dark fantasy aesthetic is right up my alley, but marvel is more fun. everything moves quicker and leveling isnt as tedious. currency and crafting, etc are just as convoluted, so maybe thats just a thing with mmo games? but the game is fun and my scarlet witch build is coming along.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
still playing path and just got my first character to level 70 and end game. with this game i had a similar feeling like i had with both BG2 and to a lesser extent the early goings of dark souls, and that was wanting to hate the games and just move on but something about them refusing to let go and drawing me in. in the case of those two games they went on to be two of my favorites and something similar has happened with path. its like the game wanted to push me away and i just refused to let it win, and now im hooked. itll probably never be one of my favorites simply because i need more in terms of story and world, and its mechanics are still convoluted as fuck, but im digging it. im looking forward to playing the end game with this current character and even rolling another afterwards. leveling is a bit of a chore but by cutting out most side quests and going straight to objectives it can be done pretty quick. hell some people can have a character at end game within seven hours or so. im not there but i can get through each difficulty in around that amount of time, maybe a little longer.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Been playing Dead by Daylight lately. CSGO has finally pissed me off to the point of saying fuck this game and taking a break from it. DbD is a pretty simple game in terms of how its played and its play style yet its still difficult to win.

There are 4 survivors and one killer per match. I never play as the killer as that is boring to me. As a survivor you go around the maps avoiding being spotted and attacked by the killer. The objective is to repair 5 generators to power up the two exits so you can open them and escape. Killers are trying to find and attack survivors so they are injured and crawling on the ground at which point they pick them up and take them to a hook so they can be hung. Other survivors can save you/take you off the hook but most of the time killers will put you on the hook and camp right in front of you until you bleed out and die. Survivors can sabotage all of the hooks outdoors making it difficult for the killer to take you to the only hooks which are not sabotage-able in the basement/dungeon on every map.

It takes 2 basic attacks by a killer to knock you down and pick you up or if they have an upgraded attack then they can knock you down in one shot. Survivors that have been knocked down and picked up by a killer have the option to wiggle free by spamming A and D until the bar fills. This only ends up working if survivors have sabotaged enough hooks and a killer can't get you to a hook fast enough. When a killer puts you onto a hook you are given the opportunity to attempt an escape on your own to lift yourself off the hook. Doing so however is a risk because a failed attempt drains your life faster than not attempting an escape. Once the victim has bled out half of their life on the hook then they are forced to spam the space bar to struggle from being killed. Generally speaking you want to last as long as you can on a hook to allow your fellow survivors time to get to you and save you.

Survivors can heal you and you can heal them if you've/they've been injured by an attack, wiggled free from a killer or were just saved from a hook. While injured survivors will make noise complaining of the pain, running around will alert killers of your last known location as you leave a visible trail for them to follow. You can open chests located throughout different areas of each map which contain med kits to heal yourself/others, toolboxes to sabotage hooks or repair generators faster, skeleton key to open the escape hatch if you found it or flashlights to blind/stun killers.

When survivors are repairing generators, healing themselves/others or sabotaging hooks there are skill checks that randomly pop up on screen which is a dial with a needle that spins and you have to hit the space bar to stop the needle on a section of the dial. Miss the skill check and a generator will make a loud explosive noise alerting the killer. Miss the skill check healing and the player will shriek alerting the killer. Miss a skill check sabotaging a hook and you will also make noise alerting the killer. Here is the kicker though. Sabotaging hooks and repairing generators while nailing all the skill checks still won't safeguard you from the killer learning your location as he is alerted every time a victim sabotages a hook or repairs a generator.

Every map has an escape hatch that spawns in a different location every match but the hatch can only be opened by either being lucky enough to find the skeleton key in a chest or by repairing at least 3 generators and being the last survivor left on the map alive/hasn't escaped.

So TL;DR killers kill and victims try to survive and escape. Its much more difficult to be a survivor than a killer. Game play can both be simple or complicated depending on how you play it. You can be a team player or you can be that asshole that takes advantage of everyone getting attacked to fix generators and escape.

This game sounds fun.... now will you finally play some zombies games with me?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I've watched kaceytron play dead by daylight.

I'm surprised nobody else has played the Witness.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Venture_u_cart_repro.jpg

Venture

... on the Colecovision. Yeah, I went through some old boxes and found my old CV. Everything still works after all these years! Yay!

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Still overwatch