What Are You Playing Right Now? (Gaming Thread)

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Casey Hudson is back at Bioware as General Manager. He was the project director for the Mass Effect trilogy and also worked on one of my favorite games of all time in Jade Empire. Always wished they had done a sequel to that.

Hopefully he can return Bioware back to basics and stop this annoying desire by EA to make everything Multiplayer to the detriment of the core gameplay.

Although it would be ridiculously cool if they could develop a Mass Effect or Dragon Age game that allowed humans players to control the other party members but not sure they have the power to do that yet without sacrificing gameplay and story.

As far as I know, EA is basically done publishing strictly single-player games. They want to be able to continue monetizing a product over time, and there's really no way to do that without some sort of multiplayer/in-game store.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As far as I know, EA is basically done publishing strictly single-player games. They want to be able to continue monetizing a product over time, and there's really no way to do that without some sort of multiplayer/in-game store.

Yeah that is why I am saying develop a game where you can have multiple humans playing the campaign together. The second paragraph was just wishful thinking but I would prefer a multiplayer that was actually embedded in the campaign in addition to the one that exists outside the core gameplay.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah that is why I am saying develop a game where you can have multiple humans playing the campaign together. The second paragraph was just wishful thinking but I would prefer a multiplayer that was actually embedded in the campaign in addition to the one that exists outside the core gameplay.

Not to derail, but I don't get why games often have hard lines between single/multiplayer.

For instance Gears of War 4 horde mode is only allowed as a multiplayer feature... why?

And the whole game is pretty much a 4-player squad, but only supports 2 human players in co-op for the campaign.

Seems like in this day/age of gaming any character that can play along side you as AI should be capable of human control and vice versus.

In wanting to push towards all multiplayer all the time so they can keep rolling out P2P DLC that keeps revenue coming in, they are ejecting a pretty steady base of introvert gamer nerds who just want to play a game and not deal with 12 year olds online.

Why not partner with some form of subscription based service... like say an Amazon Prime type deal but say with something like Steam.

The Steam service pays the studios some amount of continuous revenue along with some % of each sale and some amount to account for the amount of attention/traffic the Steam service is getting.... the gamer pays a subscription fee to be a part of the service and thus gets perks along the lines of how you get free 2-day shipping on Amazon prime, plus you get discounts/free DLC for games within the service.... then cater the games being produced/updated to this audience of older/introverted gamers who have money and time but no desire to deal with online gaming.

Steam owns the PC market, im talking about something for the console market.... and maybe it would be run/operated as a different subscription service by Xbox Live/PSN.

I feel like there are some distinct divisions in the type of games various demographics want to pay for, and just taking all games and trying to force them to funnel into a multiplayer DLC model is a bad method that will eliminate consumers who have money to spend.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
i personally have little interest in MP. im a SP type of gamer. SP just allows for more immersion through story, level design, etc.

MP is dull as shit most the time for me, i guess because its simply about repetitive game play and little else usually.

anyway, finished nier automata for the most part. havent done all the endings but finished most quests and all 3 play throughs. it started to drag towards the end and the story never really got to be as interesting as i had hoped for(it had its moments), but still an excellent game.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Dead Space is free on Origin right now. Great game if you've never played it.

Just don't do it in the dark and on Vicodin after dental surgery like I did...

Houston

Liked Posts:
I turned my PS4 on for the first time in like a year to play Shadow of the Colossus. I stopped after the 3rd fight. It was limited, repetitive, and I didn't feel like riding around all day to get to those things.

Unless I finally pick up the Bioshock collection or decide to replay The Last of Us, I probably wont be back until whenever Red Dead Redemption 2 come out.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
the new colossus. its not bad, but it lacks the magic of the first game. level design isnt nearly has good either which in turn hurts the gameplay as well.

AussieBear

updated 2k17 PC with new rosters just to waste time.. tried to sim a few years.. got bored quick..

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I tried out Fortnite last week. Seems to be all the rage these days along with PUBG. It's pretty good for a free game in beta. Great to play in a group, not as much fun for me solo, but that's likely because I am horrible at it.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I tried out Fortnite last week. Seems to be all the rage these days along with PUBG. It's pretty good for a free game in beta. Great to play in a group, not as much fun for me solo, but that's likely because I am horrible at it.

And+then+there+is+me+_334df04754e915cf3546b45736479d27.gif

Live footage of clonetrooper264 in-game ^^^^

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Papers, Please... the short-film. Perfect movie adaptation of a great game. The movie is only 10 minutes long and accurately represents the mood of the game. Movie is free, and I also recommend buying the game. The story is great with 20 different endings and forces you to make many moral choices. (PRESS "CC" IN THE VIDEO TO TURN ON SUBTITLES)

[video=youtube;YFHHGETsxkE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFHHGETsxkE[/video]

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/239030/Papers_Please/

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I saw they did a big 2.0 release of Stellaris, so I got back into that over the weekend.

Same game, but some pretty different mechanics.

I wanna get thru at least 1 run of 2.0 before I decide if I like it or not.

Kinda odd to change a game this dramatically in a 2.0 update.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm playing Monster Hunter World. Good stuff. Just be sure you can put up with a bit of a grind farming for materials.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
South Park fractured but hole was 10/10

Both games are must play if you watch the cartoons great story line

AussieBear

got tired of me franchise in chicago n started a new one wiff da knicks.. using new rosters.. actually have won 3 rings in a row.. its crazy considering how shitty 2k17 sims things out most times.. normally you could have #1 d and o and lose in round one to some shitty team..

actually drafted a generational player.. never seen someone dis good.. a 6'9 250 SG.. potential a 99.... was a 93 end of yr 3 n dat third ring.. two time mvp.. he avgs 25 ppg but if me squad wasnt loaded n i ran the offense through him hed be averaging ova 30+ ppg easily.. but i gots pozing 95 avg 20 ppg ... some other center i hit on a 91 avg 16 ppg, wiggins a 92 avg 19 ppg ... kuzma me 6th man as a 84 avg 14 ppg too.. so 4 90 starters.. me point guard a 86.. n is happy passing da ball..

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
finished the new colossus and my initial opinion held true all the way through. while the writing and characters were at time excellent(especially the humor) the game just lacked the magic of the first, and the heart. the first perfectly embarrassed the FPS genre while elevating it. this just felt like a generic FPS for the most part outside of the better moments. the first games gameplay flowed so well and was so well balanced seamlessly transitioning from stealth to some of the best run and gun gameplay there is. and all lot of that was do to intelligent level design which was lacking in the new colossus.

anyway started another bethesda produced reboot and thats doom 2016. its ok, but as someone who grew up with the original doom franchise its disappointing. for me doom was about atmosphere and there just isnt any in this game. yea, the gunplay is fast and smooth as shit, but its just an old school run and gun fps with new paint. nothing else. and the monster and level design is pretty damn dull imo. i was one of the few that actually loved doom 3. they took the franchise and evolved with it rather than trying to recapture the past and missing the mark as they have with the new game imo. it just doesnt feel like doom. the ost might be the best thing about it.

that said i dont hate it, its mindless fun and ill see it through.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
finished the new colossus and my initial opinion held true all the way through. while the writing and characters were at time excellent(especially the humor) the game just lacked the magic of the first, and the heart. the first perfectly embarrassed the FPS genre while elevating it. this just felt like a generic FPS for the most part outside of the better moments. the first games gameplay flowed so well and was so well balanced seamlessly transitioning from stealth to some of the best run and gun gameplay there is. and all lot of that was do to intelligent level design which was lacking in the new colossus.

anyway started another bethesda produced reboot and thats doom 2016. its ok, but as someone who grew up with the original doom franchise its disappointing. for me doom was about atmosphere and there just isnt any in this game. yea, the gunplay is fast and smooth as shit, but its just an old school run and gun fps with new paint. nothing else. and the monster and level design is pretty damn dull imo. i was one of the few that actually loved doom 3. they took the franchise and evolved with it rather than trying to recapture the past and missing the mark as they have with the new game imo. it just doesnt feel like doom. the ost might be the best thing about it.

that said i dont hate it, its mindless fun and ill see it through.

I've had the 2016 DOOM sitting in my queue for a while now lol

Doom 3 was one of those memorable FPS experiences from my youth.

I still keep asking myself when the fuck ima link up with Bravo team.