What Are You Playing Right Now? (Gaming Thread)

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Reference design has never been the best version of the cards. Those coolers are beat by every aftermarket option. Every blower style reference card I've ever read about has had issues with thermal throttling. And the higher end aftermarket cards use custom boards with more and superior vrm and achieve far superior overclocks.

Shit, the Asus 980ti strix I have is stable at 1515 mhz - more than a 400 mhz boost over the reference, all at a lower temp.

im well aware of the usual reference design inferiority, that was simply nvidias claim. though i do believe the reference design on the 1080s is good enough to keep them from throttling. not only does it appear to be pretty good actually running cooler and quieter than reference 980tis, but with the die shrink the cards are far more power efficient making heat a non issue really. though jayztwocents did post a benchmark video in which he noted that with the temp/power limit left at default the card was throttling in that it couldnt hit max boost, but when he upped the limit it ran full boost no problem. but its kind of silly for them to be limited to 83 degrees default anyway.

no doubt third party cards will run cooler though. but if nvidias 2000mhz oc claim is legit on the reference card, and thats a big if, im not sure third party cards will push much further. and nvidia has to have some reason to charge a premium for the founders editions. either theyll legitimately be better cards or nvidia will gimp third parties. things are different with the reference design this time around in that the are being sold directly by nvidia with the intention of being a player in the market rather than essentially early basic versions of the card to release to third parties.

anyway, if you decide to upgrade to the 1080 or 1080ti in the future and sell off you 980ti, let me know, i may be interested.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok man, I will let you know. Though I will probably wait for the ti. My next upgrade is going to be a monitor. I really want an ultra widescreen 1440 120hz ips monitor but have to wait until the prices come down closer to around $600.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
i really dont get why pc monitors are so damn expensive when you start getting into 120/144hz and 4k. im not well versed on the tech but it seems odd considering you can get 50 inch 4k tvs for a fraction of the cost.

im happy with my good old 1080p ips monitor. its not like a 4k gaming at a solid 60fps is possible without spending 1400 buck on sli 1080s. then again i suppose if you have that to spend on gpus whats another 1500 on a monitor and if not you shouldnt be building that rig. lol

anyway, i wouldnt mind a 1440p monitor and a gtx 1080 though. but ive never games at 120/144fps, maybe id prefer high refresh rate to a higher resolution since 1080p looks pretty damn good to me. though i kind of doubt it.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
4k can't even go above 60hz unless you got displayport 1.3 which is only available on the gtx 1080. Anyway, even dual 1080's wont push enough frames imo.

imo, 1440 is the sweet spot. Good balance between hz, card performance, and resolution. Right now, I am mostly interested in the 21:9 aspect ratio and 100+ hz

In my own experience and also from what I have heard, hz has the biggest effect on how games feel. Going from 60 to 100 or 120 is a big deal imo.

Monitors are way more expensive because of the response time. TVs are usually locked at 60 hz too, tho some use shit like frame interpolation to fake a higher hz.

Basically, in terms of performance, monitors blow tvs outta water. I think you can get tvs now that are way better than they used to be and perform closer to a monitor, but the price goes way up too.

But man, my friend has 3 27in tvs he uses for his computer and the input lag is stupid.

Last edited:

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;Sxvu7qf6rDw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxvu7qf6rDw[/video]

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
yeah, i get that tvs usually dont respond as fast as monitors but is the tech required for monitors to perform at higher rates really that expensive to manufacture that it results in the price of much smaller monitors being three times as expensive as a tv twice its size?

anyway, to get back to games, has anyone played doom? it looks like i may have been wrong in my initial impression. it seems to be a trend with bethesda published FPSs. when i first saw wolfenstein back when it was announced i thought it didnt look or feel like wolfenstein at all and seemed rather generic, then it was released and i watched some actual extended gameplay and it looked damn good. and it is. the same thing seems to have happened with doom. i havent played it yet but based on watching some extended gameplay and video reviews i now think it looks pretty good and im looking forward to playing it whereas before i had zero interest.

on a side not i wish fucking bethesda didnt fuck over human head studio and cancel prey 2. the first prey was awesome. bethesda should have just let human head do their thing.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
well, not all monitors are 3x the price. Those ones I linked are the best monitors you can buy for gaming and are the first time all those features have been in one package - 1440, 21:9, 100hz, ips, 4ms response, gsync

I think those are coming with a heavy early adopter price and I bet they drop a lot in a year or two

but you can get a good ips 1440 144 hz 16:9 for around $500 now

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
4k can't even go above 60hz unless you got displayport 1.3 which is only available on the gtx 1080. Anyway, even dual 1080's wont push enough frames imo.

imo, 1440 is the sweet spot. Good balance between hz, card performance, and resolution. Right now, I am mostly interested in the 21:9 aspect ratio and 100+ hz

In my own experience and also from what I have heard, hz has the biggest effect on how games feel. Going from 60 to 100 or 120 is a big deal imo.

Monitors are way more expensive because of the response time. TVs are usually locked at 60 hz too, tho some use shit like frame interpolation to fake a higher hz.

Basically, in terms of performance, monitors blow tvs outta water. I think you can get tvs now that are way better than they used to be and perform closer to a monitor, but the price goes way up too.

But man, my friend has 3 27in tvs he uses for his computer and the input lag is stupid.

That's what I see being the case. Between the higher refresh rate and g-sync this thing is super smooth.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
well, not all monitors are 3x the price. Those ones I linked are the best monitors you can buy for gaming and are the first time all those features have been in one package - 1440, 21:9, 100hz, ips, 4ms response, gsync

I think those are coming with a heavy early adopter price and I bet they drop a lot in a year or two

but you can get a good ips 1440 144 hz 16:9 for around $500 now

even then thats usually for a monitor half the size of the 4k tv you can get at the same price. does a faster response time and a higher refresh rate really add that much cost to the manufacturing?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
even then thats usually for a monitor half the size of the 4k tv you can get at the same price. does a faster response time and a higher refresh rate really add that much cost to the manufacturing?

I think it does. A lot of different manufacturers use the same panels. Its not like proprietary tech mostly. If there was price gouging going on, I would think someone would undercut the competition.

There are two korean manufacturers (monoprice and someone else, i forget) that use the same panels for example and they are only like maybe 10% cheaper.

I think the cost comes with being at the leading edge of the tech and also, I bet the overall volume is much lower than with TVs - probably by an order of magnitude or two

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And shit, I have been playing the fuck out of MGSV. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I have been loving the game.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just pulled the trigger on DOOM. My download will take forever and I'm working so much I don't know when I'll get to try it out.
Rawr!

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I heard that multiplayer in doom is kinda meh, but the campaign is pretty fantastic

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
yeah, that seems to be the case, which is fine by me. i dont usually get into multiplayer anyway.

im impressed by how well optimized the game seems to be. according to benchmarks both the 970 and 390(at least after the driver update) deliver average fps well above 60fps at ultra 1080p. the 970 has a slight edge at ultra, but doom is another title that indicates that 4g of vram is simply not going to cut it going forward since doom will not even let players with cards with less than 5 gigs of vram(are there any 5g cards even?) turn on the nightmare settings for texture or shadows. unless you do some sort hack. and then its not going to run very well, or will run alright but simply will not actually load the nightmare shadows or textures apparently.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I heard that multiplayer in doom is kinda meh, but the campaign is pretty fantastic

The multiplayer is fun, but not ground breaking. I'm not much into multiplayer anyway, and I can't really play at certain times of the day because you run into people and kids that have nothing else to do but play all day, so they're way out of my league. Then you end up having unbalanced teams and get slaughtered.

The campaign, though, is a ton of fun. Run and gun, don't stop moving, don't try to find cover. You will die real fast that way. I think I'm roughly at the halfway point, and quite a few demons have been introduced. It's getting to the point that they're starting to overwhelm me with some pretty powerful demons. Fun as hell. I love running around like, "Fuck, hell knights, oh shit, a revanant, two, three revanants, fuck, mancubus. Damn, and a Baron of Hell. I might die."

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
just started metro 2033 redux. ive only played up until the second check point, like five minutes into the game, but im debating whether or not i should stick with the hardcore difficulty or go with normal. i just finished wolfenstein the new order on uber without finding it particularly hard, but the pack of mutants at the beginning of metro already gave me some trouble. lol

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
ooh, I got that during a sale for like $5 or something but have never touched it. Lemme know what you think.