What Are You Playing Right Now? (Gaming Thread)

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
AHh, I remember something about this series , but its a Grand Strategy..... that genre is so hit or miss for me. But you say it's good, so I'll grab it at the next GoG/Steam sale. Native Linux too, so that's nice. :hi5:

Yeah, I waited for a sale where I could snag the game and DLCs for like 50-60% off.

I recommend taking that approach.

It has its flaws, but it is enjoyable.

Stellaris is a better 4X game overall if you are into the genre.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Yeah, I waited for a sale where I could snag the game and DLCs for like 50-60% off.

I recommend taking that approach.

It has its flaws, but it is enjoyable.

Stellaris is a better 4X game overall if you are into the genre.

I haven't been satisfied with many WWII themed games since Red Alert 3(2 and 1 as well <3) and Hidden and Dangerous 1(yes, super dated). But these games did certain things right. I've heard HOI4 among people like me is the next best thing and not as politically driven as a few other entrants, or just YET ANOTHER FUCKING FPS with a WWII theme slapped on it. Ugh... But I digress.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I haven't been satisfied with many WWII themed games since Red Alert 3(2 and 1 as well <3) and Hidden and Dangerous 1(yes, super dated). But these games did certain things right. I've heard HOI4 among people like me is the next best thing and not as politically driven as a few other entrants, or just YET ANOTHER FUCKING FPS with a WWII theme slapped on it. Ugh... But I digress.

I play alot of Strategy games... RTS, Turn-based (Total War), 4X....

This is the first WWII strategy game I've really enjoyed since Company of Heroes (the original one)

And Company of Heroes is a much lower level game... it is RTS like C&C... HOI4 you are commanding at a much higher level.... infrastructure, production, politics, diplomacy, research... the lowest level you deal with for the military is a division typically.

I've done 3 play thrus as the U.S. just getting the hang of the game.... next I want to try playing as USSR or France and see if I can work on stopping the blitzkrieg.

I love when games have tons of replay value.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I play alot of Strategy games... RTS, Turn-based (Total War), 4X....

This is the first WWII strategy game I've really enjoyed since Company of Heroes (the original one)

And Company of Heroes is a much lower level game... it is RTS like C&C... HOI4 you are commanding at a much higher level.... infrastructure, production, politics, diplomacy, research... the lowest level you deal with for the military is a division typically.

I've done 3 play thrus as the U.S. just getting the hang of the game.... next I want to try playing as USSR or France and see if I can work on stopping the blitzkrieg.

I love when games have tons of replay value.

Company of Heroes is a great game. A have a friend that actually still plays it online.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Farcry 5 is pretty and fun but it is paper thin.

Once you get bored, its pretty much over since there is basically no variety. Once you hit that bored wall, you see how bland everything is. It's weird cause everything in the game is executed competently, but overall it is less than the sum of its parts. A better studio could take this game/engine/assets and make a masterpiece out of it, but not Ubisoft.

For me, it was worth about 20 hours of good fun, maybe 5 hours of meh, and now its only for fuck it, got nothing else to do times.

Its a good game for while you are waiting for other shit to come out. Not worth $60 imo. Maybe more like $40.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hell Let Loose....new WW2 Shooter currently in early alpha

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
ill get around to fc5 eventually, im sure its fun but wouldnt be surprised if the typical ubi approach runs thin.

anyway, im still playing elex. kind off. i havent touched it in a couple of days because while its not bad, it is a game most would consider bad. i can at times look past the devs usual clunkiness because they make legit RPGs with a focus on RPing. but often the clunkiness and the bad takes its toll and ive had enough. thats kind of the case with elex, though its not even bad, just clunki and kind of meh.

i put off firing it up because its not really calling to me to play, but once i do fire it up i actually end up enjoying it quite a bit.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Isn't everyone gon get god of war? That game is gon be a big seller.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do people actually buy new platforms just to play platform-exclusive games?

I can confirm I do not.

I buy the new console because they phase out the old console and stop making new games for it.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do people actually buy new platforms just to play platform-exclusive games?

Yeah. I have a PC and prefer to play everything on that (obviously).

But the PS4 has a compelling lineup of exclusives. I bought one near launch, played the games I wanted, then resold it. Only lost maybe $80 in the process (including money spent on games).

A couple years went by, then I bought a PS4 again, after a stack of exclusives I was excited for built back up. Since then, I have zero regrets. I have for sure gotten my money's worth with only playing sony exlusives.

The sad fact is that sony is one of the only publishers bringing fucking kick ass story driven, single player games to market. PC has some awesome single player cRPGs, but as far as AAA story based games, titles exclusive to the sony platform are the best there is right now, generally speaking.

Story based single player games are my favorite and for now that means I kinda have to have a ps4.

If the lineup of exclusives gets stale again, my shit goes back on ebay and I bet I wind up spending less than $150 this time around including all the games.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
PS4 only?!!?? Dammit all!!!

I am in no way into the Special person console wars nonsense. That said, I have no idea why anyone would buy an xbox 1 - well except one reason. If I had a library of previous gen xbox titles, then I get it cause MS is doing a good job supporting them. But still, not sure I would buy a new console to play old shit again, even with up rezzed textures.

Its all about the games. Personally, that is my only loyalty. And holy shit, what the fuck is wrong with MS that they can't put together a stable of devs and publish their own games... other then fucking sea of thieves.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am in no way into the Special person console wars nonsense. That said, I have no idea why anyone would buy an xbox 1 - well except one reason. If I had a library of previous gen xbox titles, then I get it cause MS is doing a good job supporting them. But still, not sure I would buy a new console to play old shit again, even with up rezzed textures.

Its all about the games. Personally, that is my only loyalty. And holy shit, what the fuck is wrong with MS that they can't put together a stable of devs and publish their own games... other then fucking sea of thieves.

I mainly got it because most of my friends/relatives have it and we sometimes play with them. Not often enough to justify it though in hind-sight.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love games and more great games is better for everyone, regardless of platform. Thats why I am salty towards xbox. With microsoft backing the platform with all their resources, to me it is inexcusable that they have not been able to act as a publisher, shepherding games to market with a stable of devs that they support. Its so disappointing.

Houston

Liked Posts:
I played the prologue-esque part of God of War. Great stuff.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:

i meant nope, not everyone is going to get the game. because i for one am not. ive never played a GOW game and probably never will. they might be fun games but theyre not my style so i wouldnt, and havent, gone out of my way to play one.

i dont own any of the modern consoles, and havent for some time. theres maybe 1 or 2 console exclusives a year that interest me even in the slightest, therefor consoles arent something im interested in.

anyway, got bored with elex. its not bad, as i said, but just so, meh. ive moved onto far cry 5. its fun, but really more of the same, and therefore not as fresh as far cry 3. plus ubi has their formula(even if they tweaked it a bit) and any ubi soft game is pretty much a variation of the same game regardless of genre. just some happen to be better versions than others. none are great. far cry 5 is one of the better in that at least i like playing it. but i might get bored.