***OFFICIAL USMNT Thread*** (Vol. 2022 WC Qualifying)

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

firefan2001

Liked Posts:
And to think he considered retirement

He's in the last year of his contract with LA and he's thinking about not signing with them next year. ANDY if you want everybody to get off your back about being cheap here you go. You're already in LA (office), how about reaching out to Donovan, the only problem is he's probably looking for Clint Dempsey money=).

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
He's in the last year of his contract with LA and he's thinking about not signing with them next year. ANDY if you want everybody to get off your back about being cheap here you go. You're already in LA (office), how about reaching out to Donovan, the only problem is he's probably looking for Clint Dempsey money=).

Even the Sounders owner wouldn't pay the whole fee for Dempsey, the GM pitched in plus a few minority owners combined paid about half, and then the league paid the transfer fee. Fortunately, we are probably looking at a shorter-term deal, making it more feasible.

firefan2001

Liked Posts:
Even the Sounders owner wouldn't pay the whole fee for Dempsey, the GM pitched in plus a few minority owners combined paid about half, and then the league paid the transfer fee. Fortunately, we are probably looking at a shorter-term deal, making it more feasible.
Yeah, there more than one, but they all own the team.

and

There will be NO transfer fee, but LA would own his rights so we would have to give something/someone up (I bet they would want Magee =)). I was just joking. If Andy would do something like this, I'd get my 4 club season tickets the next day.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Yeah, there more than one, but they all own the team.

and

There will be NO transfer fee, but LA would own his rights so we would have to give something/someone up (I bet they would want Magee =)). I was just joking. If Andy would do something like this, I'd get my 4 club season tickets the next day.

Maybe they'll want MacDonald :yeah:

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
http://americansoccernow.com/articles/asn-exclusive-john-brooks-on-why-he-chose-u-s

An article on why our future starting CB chose the US over Germany. He's one to look out for for sure. Only 20yo and already starting in the Bundesliga. And he's not like the other German-Americans who rode out Germany until they stopped getting called up and then switched. He's wanted to play for the US for a while, even when Germany had interest in him. Get excited for the future!

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
http://americansoccernow.com/articles/asn-exclusive-john-brooks-on-why-he-chose-u-s

An article on why our future starting CB chose the US over Germany. He's one to look out for for sure. Only 20yo and already starting in the Bundesliga. And he's not like the other German-Americans who rode out Germany until they stopped getting called up and then switched. He's wanted to play for the US for a while, even when Germany had interest in him. Get excited for the future!

More than half German myself :yeah:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Last edited by a moderator:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Hey that's better than nothing! =)

Already do it for the Fire anyway :yeah:

Wanted to do Rush too, but they never responded back, but seriously what position were they in to be picky? If they weren't in the league's founding/headquarter city they'd be long gone by now.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
Already do it for the Fire anyway :yeah:

Wanted to do Rush too, but they never responded back, but seriously what position were they in to be picky? If they weren't in the league's founding/headquarter city they'd be long gone by now.

Haha really? That's cool! Do you do anything up there or do you just watch the games? I have no idea... I forgot the Rush even existed tbh lol

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Haha really? That's cool! Do you do anything up there or do you just watch the games? I have no idea... I forgot the Rush even existed tbh lol

I have post-game press conference and post-game locker room/player access. And I tweet on @CCS_Fire during the games. Javier Leon even pops in at half time from time to time.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
I have post-game press conference and post-game locker room/player access. And I tweet on @CCS_Fire during the games. Javier Leon even pops in at half time from time to time.

That sounds like a pretty cool gig!

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
That sounds like a pretty cool gig!

ChiCitySports writer benefits :yeah:

Even got paid by Rush for a while, now I need 100 views for each article and that rarely happens lol.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
ChiCitySports writer benefits :yeah:

Even got paid by Rush for a while, now I need 100 views for each article and that rarely happens lol.

Well you got at least 1 from me from now on! Now about the 99 others...

Last edited by a moderator:

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
Roster released Costa Rica and Mexico WCQs.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando

DEFENDERS (8): Demarcus Beasley, Matt Besler, John Anthony Brooks, Geoff Cameron, Edgar Castillo, Brad Evans, Omar Gonzalez, Michael Orozco

MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman, Alejandro Bedoya, Michael Bradley, Mikkel Diskerud, Fabian Johnson, Jermaine Jones, Graham Zusi

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore, Bacon Johannsson, Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Eddie Johnson

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Roster released Costa Rica and Mexico WCQs.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando

DEFENDERS (8): Demarcus Beasley, Matt Besler, John Anthony Brooks, Geoff Cameron, Edgar Castillo, Brad Evans, Omar Gonzalez, Michael Orozco

MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman, Alejandro Bedoya, Michael Bradley, Mikkel Diskerud, Fabian Johnson, Jermaine Jones, Graham Zusi

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore, Bacon Johannsson, Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Eddie Johnson

Fortunately no Fire unavailable for the run coming up... except for Lindpere and Rios for other national teams. Manageable, not perfect scenario, but manageable.

Pre

Liked Posts:
The interesting question about this group of qualifiers is what you do in the midfield. Dempsey isn't necessarily fit, Donovan would be better served as a striker to open things up on the wing for Bedoya or Zusi, and I actually prefer Cameron over Jones as Bradley's partner in the midfield. Mix has shown himself to have a creative spark that is often missing from the USMNT, but he's muscled off the ball far too easily. I'd prefer to see Beasley in the midfield.

Although I've been critical of previous attempts to run the 4-3-3, I think this roster could do it. I'd start Howard in goal and put Castillo, Besler, Gonzalez, and Parkhurst (called up to replace the injured Brad Evans) on the back line. Fabian Johnson, Michael Bradley, and Alejandro Bedoya would get my call in the midfield, and Beasley, Jozy, and Landon would play up top. If Dempsey is fit, I'd probably move away from the 4-3-3, but I like the offensive potential of such a set-up.