Analyzing the Major Wright Pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
I originally wrote this article on Bleacher Report. It currently has around 730 reads. Enjoy. :bears:

Last edited by a moderator:

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Good read, I think after looking more into it, he was in fact a solid selection. His coverage skills are questionable but he can make big hits, he goes for the strip, etc.

He seems like a poor man's Mike Brown. Which could turn out to be a great thing.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rolle is an SS who doesn't have great range or speed, and he doesn't make plays. The Bears have enough of those on their roster. But Wright should be a fine FS, and if the Bears draft a FS in next year's draft they can switch him to SS and have a solid Safety duo.

MRN

MRNeverwearthesamething
Donator
Liked Posts:
Plus he is gonna wear 27. My favorite number. He must be good.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rolle can be worked with, though.
How?
You can't coach a player into getting more range
You can't coach a player into being faster
You can coach them to make plays, but it'll only go so far if it doesn't show on game day.
You can coach a player to improve in coverage, but if they don't have the talent to improve, it's futile.
Putting Rolle at FS would be a bad move, he doesn't have the ability or talent to be an effective FS in the NFL.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
How?
You can't coach a player into getting more range
You can't coach a player into being faster
You can coach them to make plays, but it'll only go so far if it doesn't show on game day.
You can coach a player to improve in coverage, but if they don't have the talent to improve, it's futile.
Putting Rolle at FS would be a bad move, he doesn't have the ability or talent to be an effective FS in the NFL.

Didn't say free safety. You can't coach extreme intelligence. His character is undeniably considered a dying breed since more and more people seem to become ignorant and lazy. He only brings positive to a football team.

RustedShut

Liked Posts:
I feel as if no safety can co-exist effectively in Lovie's scheme.

MRN

MRNeverwearthesamething
Donator
Liked Posts:
I miss Mike Brown. He was a beast.

CBPtOSU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I miss Mike Brown. He was a beast.

I was pissed the Bears got rid of him. I don't care that he is made of glass. He would have been a good back-up

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I didn't get this pick on draft day, and it makes even less sense now. Every piece that has been written about Major Wright that I've seen has had some element of "well, he's questionable in coverage, but he hits hard" to it. How does picking a guy like that make sense for a team that runs the Tampa 2?

I mean, the safeties have to be great in coverage AND be hard hitters, so he has one of those traits, but why draft a hard-hitter when you don't have even a solid coverage back on the roster?

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't get this pick on draft day, and it makes even less sense now. Every piece that has been written about Major Wright that I've seen has had some element of "well, he's questionable in coverage, but he hits hard" to it. How does picking a guy like that make sense for a team that runs the Tampa 2?

I mean, the safeties have to be great in coverage AND be hard hitters, so he has one of those traits, but why draft a hard-hitter when you don't have even a solid coverage back on the roster?

To be honest, I see your point. But, the safeties we use either blitz, are good run stoppers, or wayyy back behind the 1st down. We use our safeties in a weird way.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
To be honest, I see your point. But, the safeties we use either blitz, are good run stoppers, or wayyy back behind the 1st down. We use our safeties in a weird way.

Uhhh, I'm pretty sure blitzing safeties out of the Cover 2 is pretty stupid, and was (hopefully) only done last year because pressure on the QB from the front-four was virtually nil. The fact remains that Wright only does one thing really well (hit hard) and that's not a priority for a safety in the Cover 2.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
Uhhh, I'm pretty sure blitzing safeties out of the Cover 2 is pretty stupid, and was (hopefully) only done last year because pressure on the QB from the front-four was virtually nil. The fact remains that Wright only does one thing really well (hit hard) and that's not a priority for a safety in the Cover 2.

I agree. That's why we wanted Nate Allen. Instead, we "settled" for Wright.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree. That's why we wanted Nate Allen. Instead, we "settled" for Wright.
There's absolutely no way the Bears would've gotten Nate unless they traded a future pick. Damn Packers had to trade up to get Morgan Burnett, which the Bears should've done IMO

beardown28

That's What She Said
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll become better in coverage. Or maybe Angelo was preparing for a future season where there isn't a cover 2 defense in Chicago....

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's absolutely no way the Bears would've gotten Nate unless they traded a future pick. Damn Packers had to trade up to get Morgan Burnett, which the Bears should've done IMO

We were gonna get Pats' 2nd rounders, but Eagles snatched him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.