Bears Free Agent News/Rumors

bearsfaninfl

Liked Posts:
This from Rotoworld:

Andy Levitre - G - Bills

The Chicago Sun Times reports that the Bears are expected to be involved in the bidding for free agent OG Andy Levitre.
Levitre, 27 in May, has now been linked to Chicago and Tennessee, with Detroit also floated as a less likely suitor. He'd be a great addition to a Bears line that has experienced interior woes several seasons running. Bears GM Phil Emery may target Levitre first, and treat Brandon Moore as a fallback option.
Related: Bears
Source: Chicago Sun Times Mar 8 - 4:57 PM

I'm likin' this! This is one of the best FA "values" we can pick up........."a steal."

For a team that supposedly has no cap space, the Bears sure seem to be talking to alot of guys. Sure makes me curious how all these guys would fit under the cap.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For a team that supposedly has no cap space, the Bears sure seem to be talking to alot of guys. Sure makes me curious how all these guys would fit under the cap.

The league year doesn't start until next week. We don't need cap money free until we sign someone, right? Maybe Emery is playing it close to the vest here and has an extension or restructure worked out already to clear cap space. No reason to tip his hand going into the weekend.

bearsfaninfl

Liked Posts:
The league year doesn't start until next week. We don't need cap money free until we sign someone, right? Maybe Emery is playing it close to the vest here and has an extension or restructure worked out already to clear cap space. No reason to tip his hand going into the weekend.

Could very well be, but I just don't see the competitive advantage to other teams seeing that we have cap space.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If other teams think we have no cap space, they're inclined to think we aren't going after our needs. It's probably not a great advantage, but you never want to telegraph what you're going to do to other teams. Remember when Green Bay snuck ahead of us in the draft to take Morgan Burnett?

GSH1919

Liked Posts:
This from Rotoworld:

Andy Levitre - G - Bills

The Chicago Sun Times reports that the Bears are expected to be involved in the bidding for free agent OG Andy Levitre.
Levitre, 27 in May, has now been linked to Chicago and Tennessee, with Detroit also floated as a less likely suitor. He'd be a great addition to a Bears line that has experienced interior woes several seasons running. Bears GM Phil Emery may target Levitre first, and treat Brandon Moore as a fallback option.
Related: Bears
Source: Chicago Sun Times Mar 8 - 4:57 PM

I'm likin' this! This is one of the best FA "values" we can pick up........."a steal."

Would be a great signing but I'm not sure the Bears could compete with a team like say the Colts who have tons of cap and would likely win a biding war. He be a great addition though and would be the type of young blue chip guy they've needed for awhile now.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would be a great signing but I'm not sure the Bears could compete with a team like say the Colts who have tons of cap and would likely win a biding war. He be a great addition though and would be the type of young blue chip guy they've needed for awhile now.

That's why I think they go value in FA. Emery obviously doesn't have the cash to make a splash and re-sign guys too. Brandon Moore and Eric Winston go a long way to solidify our line and wouldn't break the bank. We could add a C/G via the draft. Basically, this opens up our options in round 1 to grab a playmaker.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is my opinion about Levitre.

He is going to be expensive.

That being said if Emery and Stien think that they can afford him and not cripple themselves it would be a GREAT move.

Levitre is an elite player playing the Bears weakest position LG. He has been healthy and at 26 years old he is still a young player who could get even better than he is right now. The Bears need someone who can anchor the interior of their OL and Levitre is that type of talent.

I would applaud them for using the resources on the OL and if you can afford it why not get the best to fix your weakest.

That being said we know being involved does not mean much and JA use to get involved so he could say he was involved.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
This is my opinion about Levitre.

He is going to be expensive.

That being said if Emery and Stien think that they can afford him and not cripple themselves it would be a GREAT move.

Levitre is an elite player playing the Bears weakest position LG. He has been healthy and at 26 years old he is still a young player who could get even better than he is right now. The Bears need someone who can anchor the interior of their OL and Levitre is that type of talent.

I would applaud them for using the resources on the OL and if you can afford it why not get the best to fix your weakest.

That being said we know being involved does not mean much and JA use to get involved so he could say he was involved.

Yeah, Levitre seems like the best fit for what the Bears need. Even if Warmack fell in the draft, he's probably more of a RG even though I'm sure he could play LG.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
42d5dfd6a3ef62062a0f6a7067005d74jpg-6e05c884f4b0bf81.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana -- It's been years since a guard garnered as much buzz as Chance Warmack did at the 2013 NFL Combine.

Despite playing an unglamorous position that rarely sees players selected high in the draft, multiple teams with picks in the top 10 of April's NFL Draft could be in the market for Warmack, a unanimous All-American during his final season at Alabama.

Warmack participated in just two of the Combine's seven "timed" drills: the 40-yard dash (5.49 seconds) and broad jump (110 inches). Though he participated in a number of position drills, he passed on the bench press, vertical jump, three-cone drill, 20-yard shuttle and 60-yard shuttle.

His measurements: 6-foot-2, 317 pounds, 34 3/4-inch arms, 9 5/8-inch hands.

NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah said Warmack "didn't enjoy a stellar workout" Saturday and his work in position drills was "average."

"Most teams don't put much stock in the 40 when evaluating offensive linemen, but the marginal field workout does carry some weight," Jeremiah wrote. "I'm not predicting he will take a drastic tumble on NFL draft boards, but evaluators have to be at least a little concerned about his lack of ideal size (6-2) and underwhelming athleticism."

On Thursday, NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt wrote that Warmack had size 18 feet. He also told Jeremiah that he would be eating White Castle when his stay at the Combine ended.

In an interview with Cleveland.com, Cleveland Browns CEO Joe Banner said it would be unlikely that the Browns would use the sixth pick on a player such as Warmack.

"I wouldn't rule anything out but it wouldn't philosophically fit with how we're approaching the priorities and how we're building the team," Banner said.

The Philadelphia Eagles, who hold the fourth pick and employ two former Alabama staffers, would be Warmack's best shot at landing in the top five, something that hasn't happened to a guard since Ken Huff went third to the Baltimore Colts in 1975.

"My mentality right now is not even thinking about the draft," Warmack said Friday. "I'm just trying to perform well, perform for pro day and just stay in shape."

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Realistically here is my best guess,

Logan Mankins got 6 years 51 million/30 guaranteed/20 signing bonus.

I am going to say that Levitre gets a little less lets say 6 years 48 million/25 guaranteed/18 signing bonus

Year 1: 2 million salary/3 million signing bonus [5]
Year 2: 2 million salary/3 million signing bonus/1 million roster bonus [6]
Year 3: 3 million salary/3 million signing bonus/2 million roster bonus [8] Peppers Gone and Cap Increase
Year 4: 4 million salary/3 million signing bonus/2 million roster bonus [9]
Year 5: 5 million salary/3 million signing bonus/2 million roster bonus [9]
Year 6: 7 million salary/3 million signing bonus [10] Will never see this year and will be extended or cut.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears to be in bidding for Bills G Andy Levitre

SWEEEEEET

Andy Levitre - G - Bills The Chicago Sun Times reports that the Bears are expected to be involved in the bidding for free agent OG Andy Levitre.
Levitre, 27 in May, has now been linked to Chicago and Tennessee, with Detroit also floated as a less likely suitor. He'd be a great addition to a Bears offensive line that has experienced interior woes several seasons running. Bears GM Phil Emery may target Levitre first, and treat Brandon Moore as a fallback option. Related: Bears
Rotoworld

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Yep, stay up late tonight for any news on who has agreed to a contract.

bearsfaninfl

Liked Posts:
If other teams think we have no cap space, they're inclined to think we aren't going after our needs. It's probably not a great advantage, but you never want to telegraph what you're going to do to other teams. Remember when Green Bay snuck ahead of us in the draft to take Morgan Burnett?

I still don't see the advantage. Agents will be shopping offers with all interested parties, so it's not like we'll sneak in and steal someone out from under another team. Every team in the NFL knows what our weaknesses are. Those with similar weaknesses will go into free agency with their targets, but I highly doubt they'll be thinking "Don't worry, Chicago has no cap space, so we can lowball this guy." On top of that, the cap space will have to be cleared in time to sign someone, so no matter what you do, teams will know and be able to adjust if needed.

The draft is completely different. I totally understand the competitive advantage there. If you telegraph your moves there, it can mean the difference between the perfect guy falling to you and settling for the best thing on the board.

The only other thing I could come up with was just them wanting to see how much space needs to be cleared before making any moves. That way they don't push money to other years if it doesn't need to be. Still strange to me, but hopefully it all works out.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
A possible Levitre OL.

LT: Webb

He is developing into something and with elite LG play beside him, Kromer coaching him and Trestman protecting him through the scheme I think he will have a solid year and be the Bears LT for a few more years. The protection system does not need him to be dominant it needs him to not allow inside pressure an use his arms and size to keep rushers wide.

LG: Levitre

An elite pass blocker that takes the Bears biggest weakness into their biggest strength on the OL he immediately upgrades the players around him and will help to shut down the interior pressure that plagued Cutler.

C: Garza, 5th round pick

This becomes the Bears biggest weakness and while the Bears could use an upgrade Garza at C for 1 more season will not kill them.

RG: Louis, Brown

Louis coming off the ACL being backed up by Brown who reports have the Bears liking the potential this group provides big physical bodies that can protect.

RT: Fluker [1st round]

Another big physical long armed OT that is not an elite pass blocker, but is physical and will not get bullrushed into the backfield and will physically dominate in he run game.