Bears Free Agent News/Rumors

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs
#Bears might prefer OT in free agency but could have to shift focus to TE, report from @DanPompei http://trib.in/WZXyLZ

I cannot post the article because I am in Canada.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
basically he thinks Bushrod is the best LT and will have multiple suitors so if they want a high quality player they might have to settle for a different position like RT or TE, no real news or insight

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Free agency starts at 11 PM CST tomorrow, can't wait.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I don't think anyone really has an idea on who Emery is going after. Shocked us last season.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
technically only discussions start tomorrow, no one can be signed until (noon?) the 12th

True but deals will already be in place for the top free agents before Tuesday.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
Sounds like one or the other....not good.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Biggs thinks Bennett is the best FA TE, and the most complete. I agree. He says Cook is more of a vertical threat but not a run blocker. I want a run blocker who can catch.

I think a FA G is a no brainer. I'm sure we get a G in the draft; but Garza, Louis and Brown alone don't give us a great interior.

Bears can afford to get a FA RT, if LT is beyond our cap space. Looks more and more like we keep Webb at LT, and get a decent RT just in case Carimi can't start, or never can start. I don't know I'd call Davis decent, but he may all we can afford.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
As the Bears have combed through the free agent left tackles, they undoubtedly have noticed the group has thinned out like the hair on Brian Urlacher's head.
The Broncos put the franchise tag on Ryan Clady. The Chiefs did the same to Brandon Albert. And the Giants recently locked up Will Beatty to a long-term deal.
The best remaining left tackle by far who could be on the market when free agency opens Tuesday is Jermon Bushrod of the Saints. The two-time Pro Bowl selection makes perfect sense for the Bears, given that he was developed by new Bears offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer.
The fact he stands out among potentially available left tackles probably means Bushrod will have multiple suitors, and that probably means he will be overpaid.
This is not good news for the many teams in need of a left tackle. The Bears are one of at least a half-dozen teams in that market, along with the Cardinals, Chargers, Lions, Ravens and Saints.
So if the Bears can't get Bushrod and they intend on adding a front-line starter, what are they to do as they approach the starting line for free agency?
Here are their options:
A. Sign a lesser left tackle, such as the Dolphins' Jake Long, Falcons' Sam Baker or Ravens' Bryant McKinnie.
B. Go after a right tackle instead. The right tackle market could be considerably more appealing. Players who might be free include the Vikings' Phil Loadholt, Patriots' Sebastian Vollmer, Lions' Gosder Cherilus and Bengals' Andre Smith. Eric Winston also is available after the Chiefs cut him Wednesday.
C. Improve the line with an interior blocker. Intriguing guards who could be free include the Giants' Kevin Boothe, Bills' Andy Levitre, Jets' Brandon Moore and Chargers' Luis Vasquez.
D. Forget about a highly paid offensive lineman and address another need.
Option D may indeed be the route Bears general manager Phil Emery decides to explore when teams officially are permitted to begin negotiating with agents at 11 p.m. Friday. Contract signing is not permitted until 3 p.m. Tuesday.
Emery's first move likely will be to create salary-cap space. With about $3.55 million in cap room, the Bears don't have the look of free-agency high rollers.
But if space can be created — and it always can be — the Bears' best bet might be signing a tight end. Some good ones could be available, and it clearly is a position of need.
The most complete tight end, and the most intriguing, is Martellus Bennett. The Giants want him back, and they should.
He has good size at 6-foot-6, 265 pounds, and he has the speed to be a threat down the seam and create mismatches with safeties and linebackers. His hands are solid. And he is a sufficient blocker.
A second-round pick of the Cowboys in 2008 and one-time NBA prospect, Bennett made headlines early in his career mostly for his lack of commitment and his colorful personality.
But he has matured and had a breakout season with the Giants last year, catching 55 passes for 626 yards. He will be 26 next week and has room for improvement.
If it's a pure vertical threat the Bears are looking for at tight end, Jared Cook might be their man. The former third-round pick of the Titans ran a 4.49 40-yard dash at the 2009 scouting combine. But NFL front-office men say he is a one-dimensional player who doesn't put much effort into blocking.
Cook has not been overly productive in Tennessee, but he never has played with a big-armed, experienced quarterback such as Jay Cutler. His best football should be ahead of him.
Brandon Myers of the Raiders isn't the same kind of athlete as Cook or Bennett, but he was more productive than either last year. He might not be a bad consolation prize.
Other big-name tight ends with expiring contracts are the Jets' Dustin Keller and Redskins' Fred Davis.
Another who could find himself on the market is the Packers' Jermichael Finley. If he is not cut by March 27, Finley will receive a $3 million bonus. He will take up $8.75 million of the Packers' cap space unless his deal is renegotiated.
Scouts say Finley is a similar player to Cook — not quite as fast but a better route runner. His lack of consistency is concerning.
Given the realities of free agency and the salary cap, the Bears probably won't be able to make another splashy acquisition as perfect for them as Brandon Marshall was a year ago.
Instead, they will take what they can get.

DWBear

Liked Posts:
Biggs thinks Bennett is the best FA TE, and the most complete. I agree. He says Cook is more of a vertical threat but not a run blocker. I want a run blocker who can catch.

I think a FA G is a no brainer. I'm sure we get a G in the draft; but Garza, Louis and Brown alone don't give us a great interior.

Bears can afford to get a FA RT, if LT is beyond our cap space. Looks more and more like we keep Webb at LT, and get a decent RT just in case Carimi can't start, or never can start. I don't know I'd call Davis decent, but he may all we can afford.

I guess it's my fault for being so immature.:shifty:

Catch22

Liked Posts:
I would look at the RTs, theres some good ones on the market this year. Pick up someone like Winston or Vollmer, and kick Carimi inside

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Always looked this way. Bushrod, Long and Baker were likely to be all that's available. They can all play but won't be worth near what they will get paid considering that we need help at G and RT even more riight now which is a scary thought. The best options always get tagged or signed at LT.

How they would have fared here last year without a pocket in place of Weeb is also a question mark. Cutler being able to step up would make the Ts better and not being able to step up is an issue even with good Ts. If you ever want to see Cutler with better mechanics, you better let him get used to stepping into throws. Throw in the run game and it makes you think inside out is the better way to go but I'm torn because we only have ones somewhat reliable T right now that aint great. I can only hope that OL wont be the main topic of conversation here again this season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dawan Landry
Aaron Ross
Adrian Wilson
Chris Gamble

Kelvin Hayden's market is shrinking.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
This from Rotoworld:

Andy Levitre - G - Bills

The Chicago Sun Times reports that the Bears are expected to be involved in the bidding for free agent OG Andy Levitre.
Levitre, 27 in May, has now been linked to Chicago and Tennessee, with Detroit also floated as a less likely suitor. He'd be a great addition to a Bears line that has experienced interior woes several seasons running. Bears GM Phil Emery may target Levitre first, and treat Brandon Moore as a fallback option.
Related: Bears
Source: Chicago Sun Times Mar 8 - 4:57 PM

I'm likin' this! This is one of the best FA "values" we can pick up........."a steal."

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
This from Rotoworld:

Andy Levitre - G - Bills

The Chicago Sun Times reports that the Bears are expected to be involved in the bidding for free agent OG Andy Levitre.
Levitre, 27 in May, has now been linked to Chicago and Tennessee, with Detroit also floated as a less likely suitor. He'd be a great addition to a Bears line that has experienced interior woes several seasons running. Bears GM Phil Emery may target Levitre first, and treat Brandon Moore as a fallback option.
Related: Bears
Source: Chicago Sun Times Mar 8 - 4:57 PM

I'm likin' this! This is one of the best FA "values" we can pick up........."a steal."

AHHHHHH SKEET SKEET SKEET!

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
Brad Biggs:

Lot of questions via Twitter/email whether or not Bears can be players in the free-agent market starting Tuesday?

There is no question the Bears can be active when it comes to handling free agency from within – meaning dealing with players like Brian Urlacher, Israel Idonije, Lance Louis, Nick Roach, Kelvin Hayden, etc. – and make moves on the outside.

Just because the Bears have not made moves to create additional cap space to this point – an NFL source said nothing had been done by the close of business Thursday, anyway – doesn’t mean the Bears cannot be sitting in an entirely different position come Tuesday at 3 p.m. when free agency opens.

I don’t anticipate GM Phil Emery is going to sit by and watch all the action happen. But free agency is the most common place where teams overpay in a big way for players. So, we’ll see what the weekend brings us, if anything, on this front. There is no question the Bears have a plan for attacking the offseason, though. 14 minutes ago

Pretty much what we've all thought. Just some mainstream confirmation.