No thanks. Not in the first. Not with Warmack on the board.
This is my first mock for the upcoming draft, done without any potential trades. I'll be updating this mock once again after the first wave of free-agency is complete. -Al Fronczak
1. Kansas City Chiefs - OT Luke Joeckel (Texas A&M)...The Chiefs would love to move down and recoup the second round pick that they dealt to the 49ers in the Alex Smith trade, but will likely find no takers for this pick...the team needs some help on their D-Line and at CB, but they take Joeckel the best player on their board to solidify their O-Line especially since Branden Albert is only playing on a one-year deal and RT Eric Winston was released.
2. Jacksonville Jaguars - OT Eric Fisher (C. Michigan)...The Jaguars have needs on both sides of the line at DE and OT, but they go with the safest pick in Fisher who will help the team cut down on the 50 sacks they allowed last season...with Eugene Monroe on the roster, the Jaguars now have a pair of bookend OT's to help protect their quarterback.
3. Oakland Raiders - DT Sharrif Floyd (Florida)...Floyd will bring some youth to the middle of the Raiders D-Line with Richard Seymour and Tommy Kelly getting up there in age and the possibility that both will be playing elsewhere in 2013.
4. Philadelphia Eagles - DE/OLB Dion Jordan (Oregon)...The Eagles have multiple needs on the defensive side of the ball and go with Jordan who is considered the best pass rusher in the draft and a player that Chip Kelly is very familiar with.
5. Detroit Lions - DE Ezekial Ansah (BYU)...The Lions could surprise their fans by taking OT Lane Johnson with this pick since he would fill a huge need because LT Jeff Backus is on his last leg, RT Gosder Cherilus could leave in free agency and Riley Reiff could be moved inside to OG...DE Ansah has the biggest upside of any prospect in the draft, he fills a huge need and was coached by the Lions staff at the Senior Bowl...CB Dee Milliner would also fill a need, but the draft is very deep at the CB position.
6. Cleveland Browns - CB Dee Milliner (Alabama)...Milliner would fill a need playing opposite of Joe Hayden and give the team a solid CB tandem...GM Mike Lombardi will also look to add another strong-armed QB in this draft or possibly in free agency.
7. Arizona Cardinals - DT Star Lotulelei (Utah) ...New Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians is looking for a strong armed QB to feature in his vertical passing game, but the top player on their board is still available and new DC Todd Bowles will find a way to use Lotulelei in his 3-4 front.
8. Buffalo Bills - QB Matt Barkley (USC)...The Bills have multiple needs on both sides of the ball, but their number one priority is to find a potential franchise QB in this draft...they can't gamble that the QB they are targeting will still be available with their pick in the second round, since several other teams are looking to draft a young QB...Barkley's stock will pick up steam after his pro day workout and would become the new face of the franchise.
9. New York Jets - OLB Barkevious Mingo (LSU)...The Jets need help on the defensive side of the ball especially at the LB position and Mingo's athleticism will really appeal to Rex Ryan...as a standup OLB Mingo could provide the team with the pass rusher that Ryan has been seeking since he's come to NY...RT and the QB position must also be addressed in the draft or free agency.
10. Tennessee Titans - OC/OG Jonathan Cooper (North Carolina)...Cooper fills a big need for Mike Munchak's team and is a perfect fit for the Titans zone blocking scheme...Cooper has the ability to play either guard or center for the Titans.
11. San Diego Chargers - OT Lane Johnson (Oklahoma)...The Chargers biggest need is at the LT position and Johnson is still on the board...Tom Telesco, the teams new GM, has a philosophy of drafting the best player available on the board and Johnson will not only rank high on their board, he will fill a huge need on the Chargers offensive line.
12. Miami Dolphins - WR Corderrelle Patterson (Tennessee)...The Dolphins fill their biggest need on the team with the selection of Patterson a big play making receiver that can stretch a defense vertically.
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - CB Xavier Rhodes (Florida State)...The Bucs have several needs on the defensive side of the ball including the CB position...Rhodes fills a need, is the best player available on their board, and can start from day one for the team.
14. Carolina Panthers - DT Sheldon Richardson (Missouri)...The Panthers must feel that they just hit the lottery since Richardson has slipped through the cracks...Richardson fills one of the teams biggest needs in the middle of their defensive line.
15. New Orleans Saints - OLB Jarvis Jones (Georgia)...One of the Saints biggest needs is on the defensive side of the ball at both OLB positions, so they roll the dice on Jones in hopes that he can stay healthy and be productive on the field.
16. St Louis Rams - WR Tavon Austin (West Virginia)...The Rams are looking for a play maker at the WR position and Austin is their man...he can step in and start from day one and replace Danny Amendola who will likely depart in free agency.
17. Pittsburgh Steelers - WR Keenan Allen (Cal)...The team will likely be looking for a replacement for Mike Wallace and even though Allen doesn't have elite speed to stretch a defense, he might be the best overall WR in this draft and would give Big Ben a reliable big target WR that he can depend on...the team also has needs at HB, OT, NT OLB and in their secondary.
18. Dallas Cowboys - DT Sylvester Williams (North Carolina)...Williams would fill a huge need and be a great fit in Monte Kiffin's new defense scheme...the team also has a slew of other needs which include C, OLB, S, and CB.
19. New York Giants - TE Tyler Eifert (Notre Dame)...The team likes to go with the best available player on their board and Eifert would not only fill a need, but he will also rank highly on their board.
20. Chicago Bears - OT Terron Armstead (Arkansas Pine-Bluff)...The Bears have a huge need at LT that could be addressed in free agency, but if they they don't, Armstead could become their surprise pick at this spot, or if they trade down since he has the athleticism to play LT and a very huge upside...the Bears were in attendance at his pro day workout on March 4. Trade Down!
21. Cincinnati Bengals - ILB/OLB Alexander Ogletree (Georgia)...The Bengals have a need at ILB and OLB depending on which position Burflict plays and Ogletree can either play Inside or would also be a good fit on the weak side as well...the Bengals have taken character risk players in the past, if they feel they can help the team, and Ogletree fits that bill.
22. St Louis Rams - FS Kenny Vaccaro (Texas)...Vaccaro would fill one of the Rams biggest needs at the safety position and give the team a play maker to solidify an already very good Rams secondary.
23. Minnesota Vikings - OG Chance Warmack (Alabama)...Warmack could start from day one, fill a need and upgrade the RG position on their line which will further enhance their running game with Adrian Peterson.
24. Indianapolis Colts - CB Desmond Trufant (Washington)...The Colts could use an upgrade at the LT position but none of the remaining LT prospects are worthy of this pick...Trufant will help upgrade the Colts secondary which was exposed in the playoffs.
25. Seattle Seahawks - DE Bjeorn Werner (Florida State)...The Seahawks are looking for a LDE that can play opposite of last years first round pick Bruce Irvin and Werner is the top rated player that's still available on their board.
26. Green Bay Packers - DE Datone Jones (UCLA)...Jones would fill a big need and be a great fit as a 5-technique DE in the Packers 3-4 scheme...Jones is clearly the top 3-4 DE in this years class...they also have needs at S, LB, WR and on the O-Line.
27. Houston Texans - FS Eric Reid (LSU)...The Texans will have a huge need in their secondary at the FS position if Glover Quin departs in free agency, and Eric Reid could fill the void and start for the team from day one.
28. Denver Broncos - DT Kawaan Short (Purdue)...The Broncos have needs on the defensive line and at cornerback and Short would be a good fit in DC Jack DelRio's attacking style of defense.
29. New England Patriots - CB Jamar Taylor (Boise State)...The Patriots will have a real need at the CB position if Talib and Arrington depart in free agency, and Taylor is a CB that has been flying under the radar and is experienced in off man coverage but also showed at the Senior Bowl practices that he can play man coverage as well.
30. Atlanta Falcons - HB Eddie Lacy (Alabama)...The Falcons have needs at DE and CB that could be addressed in free agency, but they also have a need for a big back that can keep the chains moving and Lacy is still on the board.
31. San Francisco 49ers - NT Jesse Williams (Alabama)...Williams will fill a huge need for the team in the middle of their defensive line since Isaac Sopoaga is set to test the free agent market...Note - the team is also very high on QB EJ Manuel, who they feel can backup Colin Kaepernick and run the read-option if pressed into service.
32. Baltimore Ravens - ILB Manti Teo (Notre Dame)...Look for the Ravens to actively shop this pick and move down in the draft, but if they can't find a trade partner, Te'o will be one of several prospects considered with this pick. Trade Down!
Top Prospects that are still on the board:
QB EJ Manuel...QB Geno Smith...HB Giovani Bernard...HB Christine Michael...WR DeAndre Hopkins...OG/OT Justin Pugh
OT DJ Fluker...DE Tank Carridine..DE Alex Okafor...DE Demontre Moore...DE Margus Hunt...DT Jonathan Hankins...LB Kevin Minter LB Jon Bostic...OLB Arthur BrownOLB Khaseem Greene...OLB Jamie Collins...SS Matt Elam...CB Johnthan Banks...CB Jordan Poyer;
No thanks. Not in the first. Not with Warmack on the board.
If Warmack is on the board and we pass .... I'm gonna be one PO'd Bears fan!
No thanks to him and Fliker. Do not want developmental guys. We need to land our 1st and not waste them like JA did.
Is that JA incognito?
No doubt Warmack
Every pick up until the Bears makes a lot of sense too... I could see Vaccaro, Warmack, or Trufant going higher but overall it makes sense... EXCEPT FOR THE BEARS PICK... WTF?
Is that for real? Taking a project from Arkansas-Pinebluff over Warmack from Alabama? Tool.
I don't agree with it at all you definitely take warmack... with that being said that looks like something we would do. Last year we took McClellan over Decastro thats just about the same scenario here.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This post is intended for the individuals quoted or named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self- esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient any dissemination, distribution or copying of this post is not authorized(either explicitly or implicitly)and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.
Take DE Margus Hunt in 1st, OT Terron Armstead could be had in the 2nd, but there are about 4 or 5 OL I would take before him
Chicago Bears - ILB/OLB Alexander Ogletree (Georgia)...(fixed)
I find it kind of funny how all these mock drafts seem to what us to pick not only a LT but a developmental player has anyone told them JA doesn't work here any more. We have a LT not a good one but we have one what we don't have is a RG and if it comes down to replacing anyone of the line IMO it should be Garza who could remain of the team a a back up Guard.