CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think Sidney Crosby could draw a pretty good amount of hate from sports fans if hockey became more mainstream. A lot of the Crosby hate I hear/read is similar to the LeBron hate. Crosby just has nowhere near the exposure.
This is an interesting comparison, and maybe I'm understating my viewing of hockey because I used to watch it before this recent Hawks run - but I do remember hearing an awful lot of Crosby when he was first coming into the league. However, the polarizing nature of him only comes from my reading of sports message boards that are Chicago-centric so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I did recently read an article about some 16 year old playing in the Canadien junior leagues that supposedly matches with Crosby physically and skill wise (can't remember his name), so I'm hoping to catch him in the next few years. Also - Tavares (???? Plays for the Islanders I think) I've read he should be a lot better than he is - or maybe he is as good as he should be.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Well that's just the way it feels now. Again, if ESPN picked up NHL games, I'd imagine they'd give NHL more coverage in it's millions of debate/talk shows in order to help its own bottom line.

Bayless_Skip_bio.jpg

All Stalberg does is win games.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
BTW, I know ESPN plays the Frozen Four but that's obviously an NCAA deal, but does any network (and maybe this is obviously the NHL Network and you can go ahead an dislike me if I'm being stupid with this question) play the minor leagues/foreign leagues??

The ESPN had a brief flirtation with the KHL (Russia's top league) during the lockout. Some local networks pick up the local AHL team while the NHL Network throws a game on here and there. I've seen a few Chicago Wolves games on WCIU around here. For the most part, though, no.

In Canada? Much different story.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Well that's just the way it feels now. Again, if ESPN picked up NHL games, I'd imagine they'd give NHL more coverage in it's millions of debate/talk shows in order to help its own bottom line.

And that was more my point. WSOP popularity (unless you're a member of my family) is a fad. The NHL, will be around a lot longer, so I refuse to believe ESPN wouldn't hype it.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
This is an interesting comparison, and maybe I'm understating my viewing of hockey because I used to watch it before this recent Hawks run - but I do remember hearing an awful lot of Crosby when he was first coming into the league. However, the polarizing nature of him only comes from my reading of sports message boards that are Chicago-centric so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I did recently read an article about some 16 year old playing in the Canadien junior leagues that supposedly matches with Crosby physically and skill wise (can't remember his name), so I'm hoping to catch him in the next few years. Also - Tavares (???? Plays for the Islanders I think) I've read he should be a lot better than he is - or maybe he is as good as he should be.

Tavares is screwed right now because he plays on the New York Islanders, who haven't been much of anything for 20ish years.

That 16-year old you're referring to is Connor McDavid, already being hailed as the next Gretzky. Draft-eligible in 2015.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The ESPN had a brief flirtation with the KHL (Russia's top league) during the lockout. Some local networks pick up the local AHL team while the NHL Network throws a game on here and there. I've seen a few Chicago Wolves games on WCIU around here. For the most part, though, no.

In Canada? Much different story.

I'm forgetting about WCIU and the Wolves - that's my mistake.

Problem with the KHL (and you'll know what I mean is if you watch Real Sports) is they couldn't get sponsorship from the airlines.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Tavares is screwed right now because he plays on the New York Islanders, who haven't been much of anything for 20ish years.

That 16-year old you're referring to is Connor McDavid, already being hailed as the next Gretzky. Draft-eligible in 2015.

Yes, that's the name. I can't remember where I read the article (maybe Deadspin), but it was a great read and stuck with me. So I'm hoping this guy is what they say he is.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
The more I think about this, the more it annoys me.

It feels like a clusterfuck, specifically designed to prevent dynasties from being established.

If the Hawks somehow manage to survive and actually win another one, it will be their most difficult and greatest feat in team history.

Does anyone really want to see the Blues in the first round...while Hawks are still trying to get healthy?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I think a big thing the NHL/NBC needs to do is get all Stanley Cup Final games on NBC. After an exciting first two games last year (A 3 OT Blackhawk win in game 1), games 3 and 4 went to NBCSN, and not everyone gets that. That would probably help close some of the gap in TV ratings.

Plus, frankly LeBron James is argubly the most talented and polarizing figure in all of sports. I watch the playoff games rooting for the Heat to lose, no other reason. I'd imagine its the same or vice versa for NBA fans.

Just my 2 cents in a good convo.

I guess it was 2 and 3 on NBCSN, but still, all games should be on a basic cable network to reach the most people.

Teuvo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LeBron :dealwithit:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
All but like 4 Wolves games this year were televised.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I hate Theo Baseball more than I hate Bettman.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The more I think about this, the more it annoys me.

It feels like a clusterfuck, specifically designed to prevent dynasties from being established.

If the Hawks somehow manage to survive and actually win another one, it will be their most difficult and greatest feat in team history.

Does anyone really want to see the Blues in the first round...while Hawks are still trying to get healthy?

Well, they are about to lose their 6th straight game today. They've scored a grand total of 5 goals over those 6 games....they sure don't seem to be very unbeatable these days to me. I guess we'll find out this week as that's who the Hawks will open with. Who knows? Maybe they'll snap out of it versus the Hawks but as it stands right now....it's about as good a draw as the Hawks could expect to get.

Liked Posts:
Bettman has his head in the sand on a number of issues...and that's been the case for several years. He's really awful.

Also, the NHL I better away from ESPN. The NHL needs more goal scoring. One wonders if the low scoring is seen by Bettman, on some level, is a way to control salaries. I sense that the NHL has accepted the idea, right or wrong, that there's very limited growth potential. With that in mind, it becomes an exercise in controlling costs, namely player salaries. I wouldn't be shocked if this is why someone like Bettman wants low scoring.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
I hate the fact that he's so in love with the south, when it would benefit the game as a whole if some of the current markets relocated as opposed to simply expanding. These empty arenas night after night hurt the salary cap, and the quality of play because players don't want to play in front of 10000 fans a night.

Yes I'm talking to you Panthers and Coyotes fans.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I hate the fact that he's so in love with the south, when it would benefit the game as a whole if some of the current markets relocated as opposed to simply expanding. These empty arenas night after night hurt the salary cap, and the quality of play because players don't want to play in front of 10000 fans a night.

Both Seattle and Portland would embrace either team.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Don't forget the Stars

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
... at least he wasn't so stupid as to allow expansion to Kansas City... of course that isn't a lot positive -but there is one thing.