Rose cleared to play but wont .......

Bigwalt_JR

Liked Posts:
Source: Derrick Rose cleared to play

Updated: March 8, 2013, 11:40 AM ET
By Melissa Isaacson | ESPNChicago.com

Derrick Rose's doctor has cleared the Chicago Bulls' star to play, a team source said, but his long-awaited return to the lineup won't occur, Rose has told the team, until he can confidently dunk off his left foot.

Rose, who had surgery to repair a tear to the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee on May 12, has been videotaped dunking off each foot, but more casually than he would during a game. A source said while he has been practicing and scrimmaging hard, he told the Bulls that until he feels "in his mind" he can confidently dunk off his left foot in a game situation, he is not 100 percent mentally ready to return to competition.

The team is not pressuring Rose, the source said, but the Bulls are confident he will return this season and are still hoping for a mid-March return, which would mark 10 months after his surgery. The Bulls play at Golden State on March 15.

The source said the team has been assured by Rose's doctor there is no more chance of the former MVP getting injured upon his return than anyone else and that the doctor told the Bulls that physically "he can play now." Rose is now dealing with the psychological side of trusting his body.

Rose, 24, raised the possibility that he wouldn't return at all this season during an interview on Feb. 13 after the Bulls lost to the Celtics in Boston, which was the last time Rose spoke publicly.

"I'm feeling good, but like I said, if it's where it's taking me a long time and I'm still not feeling right, I don't mind missing this year," he said. "I would love to (return). I would love to. That's why I approached my rehab and my workout so hard. I'm trying to get back on the court as quickly as possible, but if I have anything lingering on, it's no point."

Since that interview, Rose has taken part in 5-on-5 scrimmages, beginning on Feb. 18.

He began sitting on the bench with the team on March 3.

The perception that Rose wouldn't return this season was enhanced on Feb. 22 when his brother Reggie Rose told ESPNChicago.com that the Bulls' lack of activity before the trade deadline would be a "big factor" in whether his brother would return.

"It's frustrating to see my brother play his heart and soul out for the team and them not put anything around him," Reggie Rose said at the time.

Derrick Rose assured the Bulls, the source said, that he did not share his brother's sentiment and issued the following statement: "I have always felt that the Bulls organization's goals have been the same as mine and that is to bring another championship to this city."

Bulls officials, from coach Tom Thibodeau to general manager Gar Forman, vice president John Paxson and all the way up to chairman Jerry Reinsdorf have said they won't rush Rose back. Reinsdorf told ESPN Chicago in August, 2012 that he didn't want to make the same mistake he made with Michael Jordan after Jordan broke a bone in his foot during his second season in 1985. Jordan returned and didn't suffer another injury, but Reinsdorf has said that it was a risk he didn't want to take with Rose.

The Bulls have told Rose that while they will support whatever decision he makes, they would prefer he return this season, the source said, "and get it under his belt, rather than wonder all summer if he could."

Rose is considered the franchise cornerstone and signed a five-year contract extension worth more than $94 million in December, 2011.

The Bulls enter action Friday in sixth place in the Eastern Conference.

Bigwalt_JR

Liked Posts:
This a bad look for D-Rose... dunking?? I can see if he was trying to build his speed back up but dunking. C'MON MAN!!!

ChiSouthSideBrad721

Captain Kirk!
Liked Posts:
No season is ever pointless and if hes been cleared to play he should. Oh did i mention that hes making $$$$$$$$16,402,552$$$$$$ He has been cleared to play whether the season is pointless or not he should want to get a few games under his belt.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
He won't play until he clears himself to play. Still could be a few weeks.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He won't play until he clears himself to play. Still could be a few weeks.

A few weeks is the end of March, that would leave him with like 10 games to play before the playoffs...personally I'd like to see him have more under his belt to get in tune. So if he's going to delay several more weeks, I'd rather not see him this season.

sicko

Liked Posts:
Take Your Time Rose!!! It is all about how Derrick Rose feels not what the Doctor say, Physically the Knee might be healed but Mentally it won't even matter if Rose is not 100% Confident in HIS KNEE!

I think Miami will repeat no matter what so let Rose get healthy and Gar and Paxson need to get off their asses in the off season and get Rose some HELP so that he won't have to hurt himself again trying to carry this damn team by himself!

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Take Your Time Rose!!! It is all about how Derrick Rose feels not what the Doctor say, Physically the Knee might be healed but Mentally it won't even matter if Rose is not 100% Confident in HIS KNEE!

I think Miami will repeat no matter what so let Rose get healthy and Gar and Paxson need to get off their asses in the off season and get Rose some HELP so that he won't have to hurt himself again trying to carry this damn team by himself!

Bulls really just need a shooting guard who can create his own shot. I know that's easier said than done, but it can be done. Personally I'd like OJ Mayo. As said plenty of times before JR Smith is NOT coming to the Bulls.

Sent from the interwebz using ancient technology

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
[Puts on flame-proof suit]

I have a about five Bulls games on my DVR that I just never get around to watching. Meanwhile I can't get enough Chicago Blackhawks hockey. I'll admit to being a fair-weather fan/bandwagon jumper (though not with football - I'm hard core about the Bears). I suspect a lot of other people are the same. I don't want him to come back too soon, but I just can't get real excited about this team any more. (And I did watch almost every game I could before the allstar break).

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think at this point in terms of retearing his ACL, he should't be too worried about that. But at the same time, his left foot is the one he does most of his leaping off of, so I can understand him wanting full confidence in it before coming back.

Still...like others have said, there's only so many games left in the season before the playoffs. If he's gonna come back this season, the clock is ticking.

theCHI_Life84

Liked Posts:
he can take his time, hes earned it. they made up a cba rule because of this kid:

[about the "derrick rose rule" per espn] "The rule allows a player finishing his rookie contract to make 30 percent of a team's salary cap -- up from 25 percent -- if he's twice been voted an All-Star starter, twice been voted All-NBA or won an MVP award. Rose, 23, is the reigning MVP."

has ANYONE ever done what hes done before? i doubt it. the knee has to last longer than this season, and past the dozen more he will play in the league. lets make sure this knee wont come back to bite him (and the rest of us) in the ass.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, I don't mind him taking time..... but if he sits out the rest of the season knowing that he's physically fine, people are going to start thinking he's a mental pussy. Especially after he admitted to not leaving his house for a month after losing to the Heat in the ECF. It's going to seem like it takes him a while to get mentally refocused or w/e.

I don't think that to be true, and I know... who cares what people think/say... but when this stuff gets started in the media and among fans, it can get to a players head.

But knowing what we know, Rose should be back sometime this season and it shouldn't be a problem.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Rose's lack of mental fortitude is starting to disturb me. It is sending the wrong message to the league. He's not going to gain extra confidence by sitting on the bench. He's not going to fully clear the mental hurdle until he actually gets in a game. It's as if he's expecting to come back without any physical or mental rust which is absurd. If he's not back by next week, I doubt he comes back at all this year. And that decision is going to follow him around all off season, with alot of doubts seeping into every Bulls fans mind.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
supposedly the Bulls are certain he will return mid-march...which would be next week.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Patience is a virtue.
.... and selfishness is a sin! Gotta Love all the selfish dooshbags that are critisizing DRose cuz THEY want him back in a season most of THEM say the Bulls have NO CHANCE to do anything?!

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he comes back on 3/15 for the warriors, he can receive his well deserved massive standing ovation. Play a few minutes, and spark this team with 10 games remaining.

That gives him three following games on the road to find himself, and then the heat game.

I believe that may have been the plan all along.

theCHI_Life84

Liked Posts:
Rose's lack of mental fortitude is starting to disturb me. It is sending the wrong message to the league. He's not going to gain extra confidence by sitting on the bench. He's not going to fully clear the mental hurdle until he actually gets in a game. It's as if he's expecting to come back without any physical or mental rust which is absurd. If he's not back by next week, I doubt he comes back at all this year. And that decision is going to follow him around all off season, with alot of doubts seeping into every Bulls fans mind.

hes just a kid man, hes like 23. at least hes not storming back to the locker with a bucket of tears like westbrook.