Is Bushrod really an upgrade?

howaboutthis

Liked Posts:
I like the signing of the TE I think he is a huge upgrade. I am worried about Bushrod though. How many teams let a quality LT walk? Pro Football Focus has some alarming stats on this guy. He might have also benefited from the quick release of Drew Breese. He was also considered overvalued based on his performance; he gave up the far to many QB pressures.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/03/performance-based-value-new-orleans-saints/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/13/2013-free-agency-deal-grader/

The Angelo era is still killing this team. I am referring to the bad drafting. Williams and possibly Carimi (jury still out on Carimi). Not to mention throwing away many draft picks.

smartestbearfan

Just a Member
Liked Posts:
I think Drew Brees getting pissed that he was not able to be retained is proof enough, and that Loomis and Paytons #1 goal this off season was keeping Bushrod.

I would say his importance to the Saints is highly...underrated.

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
I like the signing of the TE I think he is a huge upgrade. I am worried about Bushrod though. How many teams let a quality LT walk? Pro Football Focus has some alarming stats on this guy. He might have also benefited from the quick release of Drew Breese. He was also considered overvalued based on his performance; he gave up the far to many QB pressures.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/03/performance-based-value-new-orleans-saints/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/13/2013-free-agency-deal-grader/

The Angelo era is still killing this team. I am referring to the bad drafting. Williams and possibly Carimi (jury still out on Carimi). Not to mention throwing away many draft picks.

If you are basing your opinion on PFF grading, then Bennett isn't a huge upgrade since Spaeth was ranked the 6th best TE in football.

Ozymandias

Liked Posts:
He's better than our best lineman. Not that hard to understand he's an upgrade...

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Time will tell if PFF got it right or if the Bears did. In any event, the real benefit is whoever ends up playing at RT will likely be much better than Carimi whose pass blocking rating at RT was embarassing. Out of 80 players who played at least 25% of snaps, CarimI ranked 78th in pass blocking with -20.3. My pet turtle would offer more protection than that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you are basing your opinion on PFF grading, then Bennett isn't a huge upgrade since Spaeth was ranked the 6th best TE in football.

Think he was 7th but that is only because of his run blocking. Spaeth was the best run blocking TE while Bennet was 13th. Bennett was the 11th best pass catcher but Spaeth was 54th.

Point is looking at overall for a TE is misleading because they do two very different things that teams value differently? Bennett is potentially a huge upgrade because you don't sacrifice much run blocking but you gain substantially pass catching. This is especially true when you factor Davis who wad the worst pass catching TE at 64.

sewerbear

Liked Posts:
Bushrod is going to be a huge upgrade, webb sucks ass as at Lt, might be average on Rt side, so yes its a great pickup.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I think Drew Brees getting pissed that he was not able to be retained is proof enough, and that Loomis and Paytons #1 goal this off season was keeping Bushrod.

I would say his importance to the Saints is highly...underrated.
...where did Brees say that?

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Consider your sources before you get worried. Everything I have heard, seen or read indicates that this is a great upgrade.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
incredibly-stupid.gif

smartestbearfan

Just a Member
Liked Posts:
...where did Brees say that?

He vouched for him highly and said he needed to be retained and would be very disappointed to see him go... (read between the lines)

You can google Drew Brees thoughts on Bushrod and I'm sure you'll find what you need. I'm not digging up old stuff, I saw this signing coming a while back. It was too easy, the Saints are in a vise grip cap wise, players have to restructure just to stay on the team. Bushrod was an up and coming solid LT who is going to want to get paid solid OL money. Kromer, his OL coach is now OC/OL coach of the Bears who desperately need a LT...tick,tick,tick.....that's the sound of elucidation going off in your head.

Also, Bushrod contract is the highest for a Bear OL in the history of the franchise exceeding Tait's by .5 mil I think. Yet is still reasonable for a good LT and he is better than that, he's consistent, durable, smart, a good locker room guy according to all sources...we're fine with him.

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
Think he was 7th but that is only because of his run blocking. Spaeth was the best run blocking TE while Bennet was 13th. Bennett was the 11th best pass catcher but Spaeth was 54th.

Point is looking at overall for a TE is misleading because they do two very different things that teams value differently? Bennett is potentially a huge upgrade because you don't sacrifice much run blocking but you gain substantially pass catching. This is especially true when you factor Davis who wad the worst pass catching TE at 64.

I am citing PFF's overall rankings. Speath was ranked overall 6th or 7th, Bennett 5th. That is not a huge overall upgrade, according to PFF. I am saying nothing more, nothing less.

I am not going to discuss PFF with you again remy, its like discussing something with db54.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
I like the signing of the TE I think he is a huge upgrade. I am worried about Bushrod though.

[video=youtube;5lP8fHN53t0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5lP8fHN53t0[/video]

nitelife

Liked Posts:
Upgrade ? Yes, but not the big one everyone is making it out to be. Will he make a difference next year ? Probably not. LG and RT were our worst position on the OL and only reason C isn't is because he usually works on double-teams and is easier to mask. As it is now, Cutler would still be running for his life.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When I seen the stats about how many drop backs / pass attempts the Saints had last year, vs the Bears.... it immidiately squashed any concern I had with the BUSHROD/WEBB stat comparisons. I'll admit on the surface it was alarming... but you cant compare. Its not apples to apples. Plus, thats only 1 year.

How did he grade out the last 4 seasons? And how has he progressed. Whats not to say the Bears style offense wont fit his streghts better than the full blown spread the Saints run?

Its way to early to question this signing. On the surface, to the majority of NFL people I am sure this is viewed as a quality upgrade / signing for the Bears at a huge position of need.

I am not a fan of Webb, but in his defense, the offensive scheme and execution pretty much sucked last year. With some real offensive folks in place now, it shouldnt take long to see if these current lineman on the roster have what it takes to be a good, at the very least serviceable and consistant O-line group.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I want to know what Saints fans are saying about losing Bushrod/us getting Bushrod

if they're mad then thats a good sign

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If he's better than Scott, we got a clear upgrade.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Drew Brees threw the ball 1.298849 million times more than cutler did. The lineman were planning for a pass on every snap and rarely did the saints give bushrod any help. Not to mention the dude is only 28 years old. He didnt have a great season last year but we have his coach on our team.

You would think if there was any reason in the world Kromer felt like this guy was half as bad as PFF says, he'd tell Emery to go after someone else.

If this guy sucks, Kromer is going to look like an idiot because he is the oline coach. You think he's risking his reputation in this league if he isn't 100% sure Bushrod isn't a bum?