Starlin Castro's Error Tracker (2013 Edition!)

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
castro-error.png

#1: April 3, @ Pitt -- Field
#2: April 9, Vs. Mil -- Throw
#3: April 11, Vs. San Fran -- Field
#4: April 20, Vs. Mil -- Field
#5: April 29, Vs. San Diego -- Field
#6: May 7, Vs. St. Louis -- Field -- EDIT: Changed to a hit
#6: May 18, Vs. NY Mets -- Field
#7: May 22, @ Pitt -- Field
#8: June 13, Vs. Cincy -- Throw
#9: June 13, Vs. Cincy -- Throw
#10: June 16, @ NYM -- Throw
#11: June 21, Vs. Houston -- Throw
#12: June 22, Vs. Houston -- Field
#13: June 23, Vs. Houston -- Throw
#14: June 23, Vs. Houston -- Field
#15: July 2, @ Oakland -- Field
#16: July 20, @ Colarado -- Interference
#17: August 22, Vs. Washington -- Throw

I say 27 this year.

:shifty:

Last edited:

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I think he's Darwin Barney's replacement :shrug:

Depends on if Baez can stay mobile as his body grows. Castro has a misunderstood defensive skillset. He plays ok defense at a premium position. If he moves it'll be because someone else is better rather than Castro sucking.

HI THIS IS JI-

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll say he has a few less this year. 24

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Depends on if Baez can stay mobile as his body grows. Castro has a misunderstood defensive skillset. He plays ok defense at a premium position. If he moves it'll be because someone else is better rather than Castro sucking.

HI THIS IS JI-

27 errors, 8 more than any other shortstop....964 F%, worst among starting SSs..and that was just last year. in 2011, he led baseball in errors committed, too. He's doesn't play OK defense at a premium position...you don't lead the league in errors committed two years in a row and play "ok defense". His defense needs to improve greatly, or he needs to have his position changed. :shrug:

With 4 years in the bigs, Castro is 15th on the active list of Errors Committed by ShortStops.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
"He has an unearned reputation as a poor defender at shortstop because of errors, but looking at the plays he makes would suggest he's a roughly average fielder at one of the most demanding positions on the field."

-BPro.

Only JJ Hardy accounted for more outs defensively last year. His range factor was the highest in the league as well. The error rate needs to drop but let's be honest about errors, they are a flawed stat.

A player that doesn't get to a ball cannot be credited with an error. In order to commit an error you have to do something right first. You have to be in a position to make an out.

Castro gets to a lot of balls because of defensive shifting and really good range. Evaluating any player on errors alone is folly.

Castro has growing to do but after the 8 errors in April he calmed the fielding down a lot and played a fairly good SS.

HI THIS IS JI-

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
"He has an unearned reputation as a poor defender at shortstop because of errors, but looking at the plays he makes would suggest he's a roughly average fielder at one of the most demanding positions on the field."

-BPro.

Only JJ Hardy accounted for more outs defensively last year. His range factor was the highest in the league as well. The error rate needs to drop but let's be honest about errors, they are a flawed stat.

A player that doesn't get to a ball cannot be credited with an error. In order to commit an error you have to do something right first. You have to be in a position to make an out.

Castro gets to a lot of balls because of defensive shifting and really good range. Evaluating any player on errors alone is folly.

Castro has growing to do but after the 8 errors in April he calmed the fielding down a lot and played a fairly good SS.

HI THIS IS JI-

Would you rather use fielding %, where he was 96th among shortstops last year?

Look, I like the kid, I'm glad he's on the team I root for. But he's not a top 15 defensive SS. Not yet, anyway. I hope he figures it out and we've got Dominican Jeter for the next 12 years...but I think eventually his position will be changed. :shrug:

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Would you rather use fielding %, where he was 96th among shortstops last year?

Look, I like the kid, I'm glad he's on the team I root for. But he's not a top 15 defensive SS. Not yet, anyway. I hope he figures it out and we've got Dominican Jeter for the next 12 years...but I think eventually his position will be changed. :shrug:

FLDG% still is error based.

Jeter was sure handed with limited range and had Rng factors comparable with Castro at the same age.

I don't like using one number to evaluate value. Don't use WAR like that, don't use any of the slash line numbers like that.

I don't know what Castro ends up playing. It's not a tragedy if he ends up at CF. but if he moves it'll be because someone in the system plays SS better, it won't be because he plays himself out of the position IMO.

HI THIS IS JI-

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
FLDG% still is error based.

Jeter was sure handed with limited range and had Rng factors comparable with Castro at the same age.

I don't like using one number to evaluate value. Don't use WAR like that, don't use any of the slash line numbers like that.

I don't know what Castro ends up playing. It's not a tragedy if he ends up at CF. but if he moves it'll be because someone in the system plays SS better, it won't be because he plays himself out of the position IMO.

HI THIS IS JI-

I guess my point is, he's making it easier to conceive someone "outplaying" him defensively. :shrug:

And yeah, I knew he and Jeter had a lot of similarities early in their careers...that's why I said I hope he turns out to be like him :hi5:

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I guess my point is, he's making it easier to conceive someone "outplaying" him defensively. :shrug:

And yeah, I knew he and Jeter had a lot of similarities early in their careers...that's why I said I hope he turns out to be like him :hi5:

I think it's easy for fans but front offices have access to way more and much better info than we do, I'm sure there's a reason Castro is playing 160 games at short instead of Barney.

HI THIS IS JI-

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
But yeah we'll see. I'm usually wrong about these things.

HI THIS IS JI-

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm more around what Rubio says. He played good defense after the first few months of last an has looked good thus far this season. Forget about the erros. he has been making good plays. He has learned a lot in the field and it shows. The Cubs have worked hard with him and he does listen... it shows.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
He makes some errors here and there but he makes even more great plays. With his speed and how he hustles, he is able to get to the ball more than most players.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Roobs nailed it as usual, but just to add what I've been saying for a while. The only position that makes sense for me to shift him to is CF, and that is only until a better option emerges (those dreaming that it is Javier Baez I think are going to be in a rude awakening). The weaknesses in Castro's game has been the accuracy of his throws, footwork, and mental lapses. So why would we move him off the most athletic demanding position for positions that emphasize the weakness of Castro's defensive profile?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't even see Castro going to CF... if the players in the Cubs syetm do pan out. Almora will be the CF and Soler will be the RF. I'm not sure on LF, but the Cubs are hoping for Jackson to be that guy.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't even see Castro going to CF... if the players in the Cubs syetm do pan out. Almora will be the CF and Soler will be the RF. I'm not sure on LF, but the Cubs are hoping for Jackson to be that guy.

Eh I wouldn't be counting your eggs just yet on Almora and Soler. And really the comment was about the only position that I think would highlight Castro's strengths on defense (range and arm strength) and help minimize some of his weaknesses (mental lapses, footwork, and accuracy). 2B and 3B will only magnify those areas of his game.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The whole "he gets to so many balls!" rhetoric is the same that was spewed by many Cubs fans about Aramis @ 3rd (not pointing any of you out, but the sentiment was out there). At the end of the day, you can't lead baseball in errors two straight years and be dubbed a "good defensive player". He needs to improve.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The whole "he gets to so many balls!" rhetoric is the same that was spewed by many Cubs fans about Aramis @ 3rd (not pointing any of you out, but the sentiment was out there). At the end of the day, you can't lead baseball in errors two straight years and be dubbed a "good defensive player". He needs to improve.
Any Cubs fan that was saying Aramis Ramirez had plus range is stupid, but the point remains you can't just look at errors as the measure of a defensive player. Does Castro need to get better? Sure, but the suggestions seem to me to putting him in a position to fail by minimizing his strengths on defense and putting the emphasis on the things he doesn't do well.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Any Cubs fan that was saying Aramis Ramirez had plus range is stupid, but the point remains you can't just look at errors as the measure of a defensive player. Does Castro need to get better? Sure, but the suggestions seem to me to putting him in a position to fail by minimizing his strengths on defense and putting the emphasis on the things he doesn't do well.

What do you perceive his strengths on defense to be? He has plus range, I know...but then?