Starlin Castro's Error Tracker (2013 Edition!)

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Castro career range factor per 9 is 4.46. League average over that span is 4.33.

Last year: Castro 4.69. League average 4.26.

Castro has been below league average, but posted his best last year when people said he regressed. He is having a rough time right now. No doubt about it, but people are going overboard.

The question might be, at what point and time will it not be going overboard?

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

When one of the major core pieces of the team rebuilding is leading the league in errors for his position for like the 4th year in a row, and is now hitting under .230 with an OPS of under .600, I think it would be next to impossible to go overboard when expressing concerns.*

* = 100% baseball content.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
When one of the major core pieces of the team rebuilding is leading the league in errors for his position for like the 4th year in a row, and is now hitting under .230 with an OPS of under .600, I think it would be next to impossible to go overboard when expressing concerns.*

* = 100% baseball content.

I guess there goes my trade idea out the window. :popcorn:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

1. There is three months of baseball left. If he shows no improvement, and continues to struggle then yes there should be a concern.

2. When scouts say he lost something. The concensus from what I am reading from true major league scouts is he in a huge slump.

3. When he keep struggling and the Cubs have a better replacement. Right now, they dont. In two years, maybe, we will see.

4. Castro has been bad for 2 months not 3 years like some act. As much as people bitch about last year, he had career highs in many categories while trying to become this new player the Cubs are trying to make him.

I have a question. Say, in july, Castro catches fire and hits .350. Will people back off then? Just a question. Not saying it is going to happen just a question.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. There is three months of baseball left. If he shows no improvement, and continues to struggle then yes there should be a concern.

2. When scouts say he lost something. The concensus from what I am reading from true major league scouts is he in a huge slump.

3. When he keep struggling and the Cubs have a better replacement. Right now, they dont. In two years, maybe, we will see.

4. Castro has been bad for 2 months not 3 years like some act. As much as people bitch about last year, he had career highs in many categories while trying to become this new player the Cubs are trying to make him.

I have a question. Say, in july, Castro catches fire and hits .350. Will people back off then? Just a question. Not saying it is going to happen just a question.

Probably just a bit, but not much. Castro is a pretty big media target these days with the big extension and the fact that he's supposed to be one of the stars of this team. It's gonna be a tough time for him regardless.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

Silence, you know how many people lambasted A-Ram or Soriano for having below production spurts during a season, and this is more than a spurt.

Their is also a reason the staff is wanting to change something, and it is more disturbing that it isn't working. Soriano picked up his defense and went to a lighter/shorter bat last year which both worked. Everything is spiraling downward with Castro and that is a big red flag for me.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Silence, you know how many people lambasted A-Ram or Soriano for having below production spurts during a season, and this is more than a spurt.

Their is also a reason the staff is wanting to change something, and it is more disturbing that it isn't working. Soriano picked up his defense and went to a lighter/shorter bat last year which both worked. Everything is spiraling downward with Castro and that is a big red flag for me.

Going through a rough patch with a 23 year old is a completely different story compared to rough patches with a player in their prime (Ramirez from age 29-31) or a player being paid one of the highest salaries in the game. Damn near every year Ramirez would get off to a slow start for 1-2 months before rebounding. That could be due to weather or it could be due to Ramirez' laziness in preparing for the start of the season. I tend to believe the latter based upon his consistent loafing to 1B.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Going through a rough patch with a 23 year old is a completely different story compared to rough patches with a player in their prime (Ramirez from age 29-31) or a player being paid one of the highest salaries in the game. Damn near every year Ramirez would get off to a slow start for 1-2 months before rebounding. That could be due to weather or it could be due to Ramirez' laziness in preparing for the start of the season. I tend to believe the latter based upon his consistent loafing to 1B.

But Ramirez rebounded like clockwork. Castro hasn't.

Soriano was and still is streaky.

You see no loafing in Castro at all? It simply has to be not running hard down the line. Besides the extended overlapping hitting performance, what is falling asleep at SS and leading the league in errors considered.......hustle and determination to succeed?

Willrust

Liked Posts:
But Ramirez rebounded like clockwork. Castro hasn't.

Soriano was and still is streaky.

You see no loafing in Castro at all? It simply has to be not running hard down the line. Besides the extended overlapping hitting performance, what is falling asleep at SS and leading the league in errors considered.......hustle and determination to succeed?

When you are talking about a 23 year old it is chalked up to inexperience and lack of maturity. If the same things happen by the time he is in his prime at 27-31, he should be labeled lazy with the inability to mature.

All of this could harken back to this: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...227_1_cubs-castro-starlin-castro-elbow-injury
i have seen him limping at times over the past month.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Soriano and Ramirez would have bad streaks of 2-3 weeks.

Castro's bad streak is now closing on a half a season.

Ignorant to say that Castro's poor play is ok.

In 2009 Soriano got killed for his poor production despite the fact he played at least half the season on one leg and could barely even run the bases or in the field, but now excuses are being made for Castro.*

* = 100% baseball related content.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
When you are talking about a 23 year old it is chalked up to inexperience and lack of maturity. If the same things happen by the time he is in his prime at 27-31, he should be labeled lazy with the inability to mature.

All of this could harken back to this: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...227_1_cubs-castro-starlin-castro-elbow-injury
i have seen him limping at times over the past month.

A 23 year old that is now in his 4th year of baseball. Sorry, ain't buying it. His whole game should be about hustle and focus, and they shouldn't have to tell him more than once, if at all.

I thought that was why Sveum was brought in here, to make sure players did just that?

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
updated. le sigh.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Updated...and...ftr...I can handle 3 errors every 2 months. :shrug:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
So going to jinx this by posting this today, but :dontcare:

Castro sits at 20 errors coming into the game which does not lead the world for SS this season. Not only would this be the lowest error total he has ever had, but his fielding percentage has increased like it has every single season he has played. The ability to stick at SS in the near term seems to be settled. Now he just needs to hit like he did when he first came up.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
So going to jinx this by posting this today, but :dontcare:

Castro sits at 20 errors coming into the game which does not lead the world for SS this season. Not only would this be the lowest error total he has ever had, but his fielding percentage has increased like it has every single season he has played. The ability to stick at SS in the near term seems to be settled. Now he just needs to hit like he did when he first came up.

He should get back up to .300 since they are going to leave him alone at the plate.