Give Theo time

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
So having the worst production in the majors at a position that is usually one of the most productive offensive positions didn't hurt the team?

Because Josh Vitters and Luis Valbuena have really hammered down that 3rd base position eh? It was a chance that didn't pan out it cost us Tyler Colvin who hasn't done shit so who cares.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because Josh Vitters and Luis Valbuena have really hammered down that 3rd base position eh? It was a chance that didn't pan out it cost us Tyler Colvin who hasn't done shit so who cares.

I guess you didnt watch last season and it cost us DJ Lemahieu who had a decent year last year himself. The trade didnt kill the Cubs, but it def. was not a win in any aspect. Resigning Stewart blew my mind more.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess you didnt watch last season and it cost us DJ Lemahieu who had a decent year last year himself. The trade didnt kill the Cubs, but it def. was not a win in any aspect. Resigning Stewart blew my mind more.

That I can agree with you. It was one thing to make the trade, take a chance on the guy hope he finds his form. But after that dreadful year bring him back? Wasn't sure why Theo did that one. And then he just pulled off a 3 day weekend when he was outrighted to Iowa. Dudes a prick.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

Clearly you have no concept of opportunity cost and what committing to Stewart the last two seasons instead of bringing in a quality FA 3b has done to the team.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Clearly you have no concept of opportunity cost and what committing to Stewart the last two seasons instead of bringing in a quality FA 3b has done to the team.
Name your quality. Ramirez had no point in staying here, we weren't paying him and he wasn't gonna win here. So go ahead and name your guy.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Name your quality. Ramirez had no point in staying here, we weren't paying him and he wasn't gonna win here. So go ahead and name your guy.

Almost anyone would have been better. A list is pointless and I've had this discussion with others many times as most of the CBS crew will know.

If you really think the Cubs couldn't have gotten someone better than Stewart, it is useless to attempt an intelligent discussion with you.

Last edited:

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Almost anyone would have been better. A list is pointless and I've had this discussion with others many times as most of the CBS crew will now.

If you really think the Cubs couldn't have gotten someone better than Stewart, it is useless to attempt an intelligent discussion with you.

Again, bad money spent is bad money spent.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Almost anyone would have been better. A list is pointless and I've had this discussion with others many times as most of the CBS crew will know.

CBS? Maybe you should go back then. I never said he was the best candidate. But it was very irrelevant, stop gap, Valbuena is a stop gap, Vitters at this point is just a stop gap... see the theme? the production really doesn't matter when our aim isn't to win the WS this year. You need to go back to english class and learn to read.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
CBS? Maybe you should go back then. I never said he was the best candidate. But it was very irrelevant, stop gap, Valbuena is a stop gap, Vitters at this point is just a stop gap... see the theme? the production really doesn't matter when our aim isn't to win the WS this year. You need to go back to english class and learn to read.

Sorry, but when I went to school and took English and when somebody like Theo states that "the goal is to win the WS each and every year" and that statement started in 2011 when he took over, then I would expect that to be the case.

When you can find me documentation by Theo that states that "our aim isn't to win the WS this year", then I will believe it.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I never said he was the best candidate. But it was very irrelevant, stop gap, Valbuena is a stop gap, Vitters at this point is just a stop gap... see the theme? the production really doesn't matter when our aim isn't to win the WS this year.

I clearly see the theme.

The theme is a big part of the problem.

The aim should be to win the WS every year. Theo has stated that is the goal as well.

What is ignorant is being supportive of throwing away multiple major league seasons on the promise of building a strong farm system that other teams are able to do while fielding quality major league teams.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
For posterity:

1: Cubs sign Fielder.
2: A-Ram sees this and inks 2 year extention knowing the Cubs are playing to win now.
3: Stewart trade not needed. Colvin and DJ retained.
4: Playing to win they retain Marshall.
5: Playing to win they retain Zambrano and don't do a PR toss for Volstad.
6: They retain Cashner. Rizzo deal not needed.

Other words Fielder would have been the catalyst. The drive to win now would have been put into place to justify spending that contract.

I would have run:

1: Castro SS
2: Byrd CF
3: A-Ram 3B
4: Fielder 1B
5: Soriano LF
6: Colvin RF
7: Soto C
8: Barney 2B
SP: Dempster
SP Garza
SP: Zambrano
SP: Shark
SP: Maholm

SU: Marshall
SU: Russell
CL: Marmol

They would have still dropped off 18 mil towards Zambrano. Byrd most likely still would have popped but they had Campana to fill in. DJ would have been the UI depth.

But didn't happen. They chose to push the reset button and A-Ram didn't want to waste his last years waiting for the ownership to put a MLB quality team on the field.

PS: Playing to win: They payout to get Yoenis Cespedies vs the long term Soler. Byrd pops Cespedes plays CF Colvin moves to RF. Done deal.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
For posterity:

2: A-Ram sees this and inks 2 year extention knowing the Cubs are playing to win now.

Other words Fielder would have been the catalyst. The drive to win now would have been put into place to justify spending that contract.

I would have run:

SP Garza

They would have still dropped off 18 mil towards Zambrano. Byrd most likely still would have popped but they had Campana to fill in. DJ would have been the UI depth.

But didn't happen. They chose to push the reset button and A-Ram didn't want to waste his last years waiting for the ownership to put a MLB quality team on the field.

This is very close to the plan I had laid out a couple years ago and CFS and the other CBS group can confirm that.

Can't wait to hear all the slurpers bleat on and on about how this wouldn't be a better team.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I think the only thing different I had was adding Kuroda instead of Maholm.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
This is very close to the plan I had laid out a couple years ago and CFS and the other CBS group can confirm that.

Can't wait to hear all the slurpers bleat on and on about how this wouldn't be a better team.

One thing also, Cashner would still be on the team.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
One thing also, Cashner would still be on the team.

Yep, I believe CFS listed him in the #6.

He could have still been used in relief last year or possibly even at closer since the SP problems would have been addressed.

But who needs a guy who can throw 100 mph anyway?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Yep, I believe CFS listed him in the #6.

He could have still been used in relief last year or possibly even at closer since the SP problems would have been addressed.

But who needs a guy who can throw 100 mph anyway?

Just now saw it. Thanks! I was looking at the line-up only and thought he would be part of it. My bad.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
For posterity:

I would have run:

SP Garza

PS: Playing to win: They payout to get Yoenis Cespedies vs the long term Soler. Byrd pops Cespedes plays CF Colvin moves to RF. Done deal.
Good plan however,
1. Maholm was brought in for the exact same reason as Stewart was, a stop gap who we were hoping to flip for more. Maholm worked out and we got Vizciano.
2 Bryd dropped off and wasn't he suspended for PEDs?
3 What's the Fielder deal? It's one thing to say we signed him but what did we give him because there is 0 chance we give him 10 years 214 mil so not sure how that would ever happen.
4. Marmol.... BLOWS
5. Soto.... blows
6. Colvin... meh
7. Zambrano.... he simply had to go. You couldn't keep him at that point. Look back at what happened and tell me big Z could have possibly been brought back, supported by management, players, and fans.
8. Even with those pieces, how far do you see us getting? Wildcard maybe?

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:

You're right, for once, it's a better team. But our farm system would still be crap, and we'd have aging players doing the exact same thing we were doing in 09. It's one thing to build a contender, but that's stupid money spent on a team that isn't going anywhere, we needed to retool plain and simple. We aren't the Yankees who have 200 mil a year in payroll. IF we had that team, no Rizzo, no Vizcaino, no good picks the last two years. I wanna win as bad as the next person, but you need to understand that our team the way it was, was not going anywhere but down the tubes. Blow it up while you have a chance. Not sign another massive contract that you shouldn't do.