Tony Thomas (Lost in the Castro hype)

nrthsidrfan

Liked Posts:
This kid is playing some ball down in Tennessee, and with all the Castro hype (which is justifiable) it seems like his name hasn't been mentioned much. If and when Theriot gets moved over to 2b to make room for Castro, his time at the right side of infield might be short lived. Check out the stats and tell me what you think:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=506917

Serious plate discipline on this guy, and after watching our veteran struggles so far I'm ready for our youth movement going into the future which is looking not so distant...

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
Why the hell does everyone want to get rid of Theriot so bad? Seems to me since he has been with the Cubs he has played nothing but good ball. And Tony Thomas might be having a good year thus far, his 2009 season was was shit compared to Theriot.

nrthsidrfan

Liked Posts:
Why the hell does everyone want to get rid of Theriot so bad? Seems to me since he has been with the Cubs he has played nothing but good ball. And Tony Thomas might be having a good year thus far, his 2009 season was was shit compared to Theriot.

I'm not trying to get rid of Theriot (you'll notice in my original post that I'm just speculating) I'm happy that the Cubs are finally building from their farm system and I'm happy that we have solid "up the middle" prospects down on the farm once again.

And yes in 2009 Thomas did have a lower .251 ba...but really? that's the basis of your argument? He also had a .341 obp, and with a little quick math that is a .090 split between the two numbers translating to plate discipline.

Don't just try and rip me for the sake of trying to rip someone. All I wanted was some back and forth analysis on an up-and-coming prospect, but apparently that's not what this forum is for?

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
First I wasn't ripping you. I was stating that Theriot was just as good. If you look at Theriots overall numbers since he has been with the Cubs. He has had nothing less than a .325 OBP and has been a spark plug on the base paths. His average is consitently between .280 and .300. I was stating that we don't really need someone else to come up for the sake of a youth movement that everyone wants so bad.

Now if you took it as a rip on you I'm sorry, that wasn't what was intended. I'm just sick of seeing posts calling for everyone on the roster to lose their job because someone in the minors is doing good.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I don't know where the "serious plate discipline" accolade comes from. Thomas walked only 50 times in nearly 500 PA last year, striking out 100+ times both in 2009 and 2008.

He's tearing it up in AA now, but that's only through 47 PA's, the rest of his time in the minors has looked average, certainly not dominating.

To me, he looks like a guy that can be serviceable at the MLB level, but he doesn't really get on base all that well (.358 OBP in AA doesn't translate all that well) and he doesn't hit for much power. He's a Theriot/Fontenot clone: a middle infielder that isn't anything special, but not necessarily horrible. Meh

Liked Posts:
I like Theriot and all but his defense is limited and I wouldnt go so far to say that he is a "sparkplug on the basepaths" either. I think what nrthsidrfn was trying to say is that when Theriot gets moved over to 2b there is someone coming up that will be nipping at his heals there as well. I dont think he meant "good we have someone to replace Theriot at 2b too"

The way our corner IF has played this year we better be hoping for a youth movement at those positions! If nothing else to light a fire under their asses to get them to perform!

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
Theriot, even with limited defense still gets the job done. Now I agree for the most part that he should be at 2nd and Castro next year should be playing SS. But again that is next year, not this year. And he is a bit of a sparkplug on the base paths. He gets on base and can steal a base. Granted he does need to be a little more selective at times on when to run, but his ability to steal bases causes pitchers to pay more attention to him at times then at the batter at the plate. He's no Rickey Henderson or Vince Coleman, but he can ignite the offense from the bases.

Well we have Vitters for either first or third. I think next year we will see him at one of those positions. As much as I like Lee and A-Ram they aren't getting any younger. There play this year will determine whether or not they will stay, but either way I think one of them is gone, and it will most likely be Lee.

nrthsidrfan

Liked Posts:
To me, he looks like a guy that can be serviceable at the MLB level, but he doesn't really get on base all that well (.358 OBP in AA doesn't translate all that well) and he doesn't hit for much power. He's a Theriot/Fontenot clone: a middle infielder that isn't anything special, but not necessarily horrible. Meh

Plate discipline is one hitting attribute that actually does translate VERY well into the major leagues. Through college and the minors Thomas has shown the ability to work counts and coax walks. Remember, strikeout numbers don't necessarily equate to plate discipline. Striking out 100 times but also working 3-2 counts on a daily basis is fine with me. Strikeouts are an overly villain-ized stat.

To piggy back off what Slumpbusters said, I'm not calling this guy the next Ryan Sandberg, but he could be an Eric Young type player in the bigs. It'll be nice to have someone nipping at the heals of our aging veterans, and at 30+ Theriot fits that category.

I'm just trying to recognize his stellar start to the spring that has been overshadowed by Castro's stellar spring. 22-23 is usually when prospects either sink or swim in their minor league progression, and so far this spring Tony is swimming.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
I don't get why people want to get rid of Theriot, either. The only liability Theriot is the Chicago Cubs is at SS. He doesn't really have good range, and his arm isn't great. He's perfect for 2B.

Castro made 39 errors at SS last year, too...so let's keep that in mind. While he really has a cannon arm, sometimes he has trouble with the transfer from glove to throwing hand, and then controlling his throws across the diamond.

Theriot basehit....he keeps on hitting.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
I do find it funny that no one ever mentions Darwin Barney lol

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Barney has a loooong way to go....just a young'in...

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
Oh I know, but hell everyone wants a youth movement and he is young.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
I want the youth movement as much as anyone...but Barwin isn't ready, yet :)

Lee pops out in a clutch situation. What else is new?

Now Ramirez gets to K/pop up/GIDP...take your pick...

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Pop up to the C/P/1B and no one catches it...

Youngster Colvin up. Prove my youth movement theory right, kid.

(And help my fantasy baseball team)

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Colvin gets productive with a Sac Fly.

4-3 Dbacks, as Theriot scores on the flyball to CF.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Soriano proceeds to leave the yard. 3 run BOMB....

6-4 good guys. Let's go!

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
I just read that Lou doesn't want to rest Ramirez or Lee and wants them to work out of there slumps. I would be all for that if we were winning games but were not. They need to sit them for a couple of games and let them get their heads straight. Put Tracy at first Font at third and Baker at second for a few games and go from there. Let them get some work in with Jaramillo and call it a day.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
I don't want Chad Tracy sniffing the field. He's not as good with the glove as ARam or DLee, and he's hitting even worse (if that's possible).

I wouldn't mind getting Baker more ABs...he's done well in limited duty...

nrthsidrfan

Liked Posts:
I don't get why people want to get rid of Theriot, either. The only liability Theriot is the Chicago Cubs is at SS. He doesn't really have good range, and his arm isn't great. He's perfect for 2B.

Castro made 39 errors at SS last year, too...so let's keep that in mind. While he really has a cannon arm, sometimes he has trouble with the transfer from glove to throwing hand, and then controlling his throws across the diamond.

Theriot basehit....he keeps on hitting.

Once again, I'm not trying to "get rid" of Theriot. I'm just saying it's nice to have up-and-comers in the farm system that can press veterans. I'm no Theriot Hater by a long shot. I've always been a fan and I think he projects well to 2b.

Castro's errors worry me a bit too, but he's a "+ defender" and his issues are something that will be worked out with time/experience. I did a little math and he's on pace for only 14 errors this season; so it looks like he's trending up in the E category

Nice to see Theriot tag and go to third on that Lee pop up too. Hooray for smart baserunning!