What to do with Deng

What should the Bulls do with SF Luol Deng?

• Total voters

Oolongmonk

Liked Posts:
Jerry

As long as Jerry is the owner here no championship is coming to Chicago. Every offseason teams are making moves to better themselves and out them in a position to win NOW. I actually agree with Reggie Rose's frustration. Teams are picking up FA making trades and Bulls are picking up Euro FA role players. It pisses me off. Jerry is a tight wad who is very much pleased as long as the stadium sells out and the revenue stream keeps coming in. It's very clear that revenues are more important to this man than winning.

Gar/pax. Don't get me started. Just Jerry's minions. Now that Brooklyn made some serious moves it will be nice to see Chicago get knocked off in the second round.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
As long as Jerry is the owner here no championship is coming to Chicago. Every offseason teams are making moves to better themselves and out them in a position to win NOW. I actually agree with Reggie Rose's frustration. Teams are picking up FA making trades and Bulls are picking up Euro FA role players. It pisses me off. Jerry is a tight wad who is very much pleased as long as the stadium sells out and the revenue stream keeps coming in. It's very clear that revenues are more important to this man than winning.

Gar/pax. Don't get me started. Just Jerry's minions. Now that Brooklyn made some serious moves it will be nice to see Chicago get knocked off in the second round.

Yes because KG and Pierce were going to win us a championship :rolleyes:

Sent from the interwebz using ancient technology

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I sorta feel like we should trade Deng @ the deadline -- but I don't think it'll happen.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I sorta feel like we should trade Deng @ the deadline -- but I don't think it'll happen.
If it'll somehow make us better now or in the immediate future, yeah, but I don't see a beneficial deal popping up. It'll most likely just be a salary dump in which we "blow" our already slim title chances for cap space to get someone who is not better than Deng.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bulls could have traded Lu for anything worthwhile- they would have. In regards to dealing Lu at the deadline- if the Bulls are competing for home court advantage in the East like we think and hope they will....they won't be making any significant deals.

Let Lu play out the year and see what happens in FA. He'll more than likely walk, but you can't give him 8 figures a year.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:

I think it all depends on what deals are out there. We all know Deng can walk after the year. But if a deal came up that could make us better moving forward, I'd think the Bulls would look at it. However, it won't be their 'mission' to trade Deng as they feel they can win it all with him this year, imo.

Reactions: X

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
The Bulls FO do not feel that they can win it all with Deng this year...or they would keep him. The Bulls FO believe that they need another star player which is why they are open to letting him go.

Reactions: X

scottiepippen1994

Liked Posts:
Excuse me but how do you know what the F.O's plans are or what they believe?
Show me proof through facts. :smug:

For all we know, the F.O's plans could just involve STANDING PAT.
:lol:
Personally, i think GarPax still have there thumbs twiddling up there butts while there puppet strings are being yanked by puppetmaster Reinsdorff.

The Plan you may ask?
Well its simple, sell tickets and just be good enough.
What have they done to prove otherwise?
Right.

If anything, there plans are probably to just wait for another Rose or star to just fall out of the sky and onto there "Sitting Bull" laps.
Or for someone to just give them a star as charity or a sympathetic gift.
:shrug:

Last edited:

transplant

Liked Posts:
Like every other true Bulls fan, I want them to put the best possible team on the floor. If trading Deng or letting him walk improves the team, I'm all for it.

I can't see any realistic scenarios in which the Bulls do not re-sign Deng and the team gets better. This is why I hope Deng will be re-signed. I believe this is what will happen.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Bulls FO do not feel that they can win it all with Deng this year...or they would keep him. The Bulls FO believe that they need another star player which is why they are open to letting him go.
Or they could just be being cheap and they'll let him walk and sign some sub par player with the excuse of "future cap flexibility" :troll:

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I give it a 5% chance he gets traded at the deadline. I think they will ride the season out and if we fall short again, Deng will sign else where. If we somehow manage to win it then I think there is a strong possibility he gets re-signed.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:

The Bulls FO totally thinks they can win the whole thing...they wouldn't have stood completely pat with adding a piece or two if they didn't think they could have. I don't feel they're too far off base with their thought process considering they've been the 1 seed heading into the playoffs the last two full seasons they were healthy. Even Vegas has the Bulls at 8:1 odds to win the whole thing, which is tied for 2nd best with OKC behind Miami at 2:1. Those are odds BEFORE Rose has shown to look back to 100%...those odds could be even better for the Bullies before long.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you as I don't think this current roster WILL do it....but it certainly isn't wrong to think they can.

However, the real reason the Bulls won't extend Lu at this point? They know EXACTLY how much Lu is worth to the rest of the league as they've been totally unable to deal him to anyone. Look at the deals Jennings, Ellis and Mayo got...all in that 3yr/24-26 million ranger. I'd be shocked if Lu didn't want more than that and there is no way anyone will pay him more than that.

The Bulls probably feel Lu is worth 3yr/24 million after the season is over....they'll be right.

Last edited:

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
All Deng ever does is reliably hustle, produce, and anchor what is often the best defense in the NBA (unless he is hurt from being over-played). I just don't see a scenario where the Bulls are better off trading him, unless re-signing him is impossible in terms of cap space.

transplant

Liked Posts:
All Deng ever does is reliably hustle, produce, and anchor what is often the best defense in the NBA (unless he is hurt from being over-played). I just don't see a scenario where the Bulls are better off trading him, unless re-signing him is impossible in terms of cap space.

The Bulls don't need cap space to re-sign Deng...they can pay him the max if they want to.

Deng will earn $14.3mil this season. It wouldn't be a surprise if he wants a raise on his next contract. I'm a Deng fan, but I don't think he's worth more than the 4-year/$48mil the Warriors recently gave Andre Iguodala. Unless some other team gets crazy, which would surprise me because Deng isn't the kind of player who puts butts in seats, I expect Deng to re-sign with the Bulls for $12mil per.

scottiepippen1994

Liked Posts:
The Bulls don't need cap space to re-sign Deng...they can pay him the max if they want to.

Deng will earn $14.3mil this season. It wouldn't be a surprise if he wants a raise on his next contract. I'm a Deng fan, but I don't think he's worth more than the 4-year/$48mil the Warriors recently gave Andre Iguodala. Unless some other team gets crazy, which would surprise me because Deng isn't the kind of player who puts butts in seats, I expect Deng to re-sign with the Bulls for $12mil per.

Why give Deng another max when he's past his prime?
If the Bulls resign Deng to a max, that would mean that PaxGars big free agent signing in 2014 will be Deng.
That would mean failure.

transplant

Liked Posts:
Why give Deng another max when he's past his prime?
If the Bulls resign Deng to a max, that would mean that PaxGars big free agent signing in 2014 will be Deng.
That would mean failure.

I said that the Bulls could offer Deng a max contract, not that they should or will (they shouldn't and won't).

This said, if the only way to avoid a "fail" is for the Bulls to sign a big name free agent this coming summer, I'm willing to declare your fail right now. Even if they amnesty Boozer, let Deng walk and tell Mirotic to stay overseas another season, they still would have only about $9mil of cap space for a free agent. That's not going to get you a star or even a player as good as Deng.

scottiepippen1994

Liked Posts:
I said that the Bulls could offer Deng a max contract, not that they should or will (they shouldn't and won't).

This said, if the only way to avoid a "fail" is for the Bulls to sign a big name free agent this coming summer, I'm willing to declare your fail right now. Even if they amnesty Boozer, let Deng walk and tell Mirotic to stay overseas another season, they still would have only about $9mil of cap space for a free agent. That's not going to get you a star or even a player as good as Deng.

You are beginning to sound like John Paxson's lawyer.
Just stop it please. :lol: